The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Just referring back to the standard over Windsor Castle on Charles and Camilla's wedding day, isn't the Queen's personal standard always flown when she's in residence?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Thats correct, Baroness. Only when the Queen is in residence will her standard ever fly.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you; so no special honor was accorded the newly married couple then.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
The size of the flag varies. A HUGE one is flown on special occassions such as a wedding, like the one on Buckingham Palace when William & Catherine married.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Precisely. It's size indicated nothing other than the fact it was a notable event, i.e; it's done for show.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I suppose we can all agree that the Queen has sent clear signals over these seven years that she is very much accepting of her daughter-in-law.
From the private banquet she hosted in honour of the wedding, to the Family Order and now the RVO - all of that came directly from Her Majesty.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Royal Highness

We may all find this interesting :

About Flags and Flag Staff at Windsor Castle and the mystery of the 1890s. Thamesweb Windsor

"In glorious weather, the great ceremonial Royal Standard flew over Windsor Castle on April 21st 2005 by way of a salute to Queen Elizabeth on the occasion of her 79th birthday. The photo above does not really do justice to this flag's immense size. It measures 38 feet (11.58 meters) across by 19 feet (5.79 meters) deep and flies only on very special occasions. Certainly the Queen's Birthday, her real birthday, is one such occasion, and another is the day of the Garter Service in mid-June. Also, earlier in April 2005, the flag had been flown to mark the wedding of HRH Prince Charles to the Camilla Parker Bowles, the Duchess of Cornwall. On other occasions a smaller version of the Royal Standard is flown."
Old 04-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Very interesting information, thank you for posting, Nico.
Certainly, the wedding of the future King and Queen of the UK is one of the special occasions to fly the huge standard.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

It was certainly used over Buckingham Palace during the Cambridge wedding also.

Nonetheless, I think we digress too far and we'll soon be reminded as such if we don't get back on topic

(my fault)

Old 04-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Queen honours Camilla on wedding anniversary
Queen honours Camilla on wedding anniversary | Latest celebrity news hellomagazine.com
Old 04-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Times' leader column has a section on Camilla's honour, further highlighting her growing popularity among the British people:

Quote:
It has been a very slow rehabilitation, a gradual warming, a steady application of tact, patience and forbearance to win over a sceptical public. But the Duchess of Cornwall, once widely reviled as “the other woman”, has quietly endeared herself to the nation by her unstuffy manner, her commonsense approachability and her dedication to the many charitable causes that she has taken on.
In recognition of her work in this field, and “personal services” to the Queen, she has been appointed to the highest rank in the Royal Victorian Order, that part of the honours system within the monarch’s gift. It is an honour that makes little difference to the schedule or standing of the Duchess. But it is one that is well deserved.
In the seven years since her marriage to the Prince of Wales, she has carried out hundreds of public engagements — on her own, with Prince Charles or, increasingly, a few steps behind the Queen herself. And the more her confidence and experience have grown, the more relaxed she has appeared in situations where formality might preclude spontaneous warmth. Her recent delight at being given one of those woolly jumpers made famous by Sarah Lund revealed that she, like thousands of others, has been hooked on The Killing. And where better to say so than in Denmark?
As well as character, she has shown courage, taking on causes that others might have shied away from. As patron of Barnado’s, for example, she has given her support to the charity as it tackles the horrific cases of sexual exploitation of children. This is putting the power of her prestige to work for the public good. It is to be applauded. She has long outgrown those early image-makers. Her tact, steadiness and humour have prevailed.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinio...cle3379112.ece

I couldn't say it better myself.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Heir Apparent

This is a wonderful tribute to Camilla. Recognition like this, both from the Queen and the media, paves an easier way for her to become Queen Consort. Thanks for posting, EIIR, it's really nice to read this.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The Times' leader column has a section on Camilla's honour, further highlighting her growing popularity among the British people:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinio...cle3379112.ece

I couldn't say it better myself.
Touching, and very true. It's wonderful to see that others are beginning to recognize this woman's worth.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Nobility

A while back, I looked at the history of consorts honored with the Order of the Garter. Edward VII gave it to Queen Alexandra the year of his ascension. George V gave it to Queen Mary when he came to the throne. George VI gave it to Queen Elizabeth in his first batch of Garter recipients after he became king.

But in a slight break with tradition, George VI gave it to the Prince Philip in 1947. He did, however, give it to Princess Elizabeth a day earlier so that she would be senior to Philip. So I realized that Camilla would someday receive the Order of the Garter once Charles came to the throne, but I wondered if Queen Elizabeth would be willing to extend such an honor to Camilla.

My point (yes, I'm getting there!) is that Camilla receiving the Royal Victorian Order from the queen makes it much more likely that she might receive the Order of the Garter within the next few years. As it stands, the heir to the throne has it and so does the heir to the heir to the throne. Why not the wife of the heir after she has carried out her duties with distinction?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Serene Highness

Delightful - and so nice that the Royal Family has these devices.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

I too would like to see Camilla get the Garter from The Queen rather than wait until it is almost automatic under Charles. I don't think she will give it to her mind you but it would be lovely if she did.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't find it (nor do I think it) necessary that Camilla should be made a Knight of the Order of the Garter before Charles succeeds his mother. That she has now been made a GCVO does not make any future bestowment during the incumbent reign all the more likely either.

The Order of the Garter is the principal state affiliated order of chivalry. It is not in the Queen's personal gift, thus, she can not bestow it upon whomever she see's fit. The appropriate advice from within her government dictates as to who is elevated.

I personally feel that such an honour is best received by the British royal consort at a time of significant transition. I guess in a sense symbolising the arrival of a 'new guard'.

Camilla now has an official order and that will undoubtedly make do for the time being and rightly so.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
I don't find it (nor do I think it) necessary that Camilla should be made a Knight of the Order of the Garter before Charles succeeds his mother. That she has now been made a GCVO does not make any future bestowment during the incumbent reign all the more likely either.

The Order of the Garter is the principal state affiliated order of chivalry. It is not in the Queen's personal gift, thus, she can not bestow it upon whomever she see's fit. The appropriate advice from within her government dictates as to who is elevated.

I personally feel that such an honour is best received by the British royal consort at a time of significant transition. I guess in a sense symbolising the arrival of a 'new guard'.

Camilla now has an official order and that will undoubtedly make do for the time being and rightly so.
According to the official Royal website, while the Order of the Garter was bestowed on advice of the government from the 18th century to 1946, since then it has been in the personal gift of the monarch.

I'm pleased Camilla has been granted her honour. I agree it shows the esteem in which she is held by the Queen. It is well deserved.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Garter is definitely in the personal gift of the monarch. There are still four honours totally within the personal gift on the monarch - The Garter, The Thistle, The Order of Merit (which she gave to former Australian PM John Howard earlier this year) and the Royal Victorian Order (which she gave to Camilla yesterday).

All other honours have to go through the PM and the cabinet.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
According to the official Royal website, while the Order of the Garter was bestowed on advice of the government from the 18th century to 1946, since then it has been in the personal gift of the monarch.

I'm pleased Camilla has been granted her honour. I agree it shows the esteem in which she is held by the Queen. It is well deserved.
Always happy to be corrected if infact mistaken on such matters. I need to do a little catch up on the honours system it would appear!

Still, this does no alter my opinion on the matter in reference to Camilla.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall