The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Moderator Emeritus

The Duchess of Cornwall appointed to the Royal Victorian Order, 9 April 2012

The Queen has been pleased to make the following appointment to the Royal Victorian Order:-

To be a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Congratulations Camilla. 7 years married and already a GCVO. That is a vote of confidence and support.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I see that this order is awarded personally by the Queen for services to the Sovereign. It also signals HM's approval for the work Camilla's done on behalf of the monarchy, so that should hopefully lay to rest any doubt about Camilla becoming Queen Consort. I'd like to consider this is also a sign of the Queen's tacit approval of Camilla's future title. A lovely anniversary gift; congratulations!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Serene Highness

Definitely a vote of confidence in Camilla for all her hard work and a sign that the Queen approves of Camilla's public work.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Royal Highness

Ooooh yes i expected the GVCO for the Duchess for a long time !
That's just great and as pointed out it's an obvious, strong and undubitable sign from the Queen (some people over there should take note ahem).
Can't wait a state banquet to see, at last, this famous sash on Camilla !

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...1333888722591A
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Serene Highness

it'll be nice to see the duchess of cornwall with her new honor with a tiara or gala, I guess she'll be joining the list of members like the king of norway, the queen of denmark, ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Victorian_Order
Old 04-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Here you go, Grandduchess, take a look at the top row:

ODM of the United Kingdom: The Royal Victorian Order
Old 04-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I see that this order is awarded personally by the Queen for services to the Sovereign. That also signals HM's approval for the work Camilla's done on behalf of the monarchy, so that should hopefully lay to rest any doubt about Camilla becoming Queen Consort. A lovely anniversary gift; congratulations!
Know nothing about this, of course (I am very ignorant on such matters) - but I am thrilled by what you all are saying. I hope the Queen makes more public gestures like this. Its such a relief to see sanity and goodwill holding forth. The more positive support the Queen manifests while she's here (around), the less trouble for Charles when he ascends the throne, I think.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Here's another article about the GVCO for Camilla. And definitely, while HM is still around, she's doing the future King a lot of good by being supportive of his wife and hopefully signaling her approval as Queen Consort by such gestures as this:

BBC News - The Queen makes Camilla a Dame Grand Cross
Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

This is another large statement by The Queen that she does approve of Camilla. The first statement was the day they married with the huge flag put up over Windsor Castle instead of the normal flag. The the Durbar Tiara - the one that Queen Mary wore for the Delhi Durbar in 1911, which Camilla has been allowed to wear. There can be no doubt that The Queen supports Charles' choice of second wife and sees her as a valuable asset to the family, probably because she has made her eldest son and heir so happy.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Camilla granted Queen's highest seal of approval with a very personal wedding anniversary honour!
Quote:
The Queen has finally given her daughter-in-law the Duchess of Cornwall the seal of approval by awarding the royal her highest personal honour. Camilla is to become a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order to mark the seventh anniversary of her wedding to Prince Charles today.
Wonderful news! It shows Her Majesty has full confidence in her daughter-in-law.
I've been waiting for this renouncement for some time now, not least because I want to see Camilla wearing the famous sash.
Incidentally, this picture of the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall from the DM article is really nice.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Gentry

Congratulations and well deserved
Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Heir Apparent

That is a nice picture of the two, Artemisia. Both are really deep into the conversation and I love HM's smile.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Majesty

What wonderful news for Camila! She is such a great asset to the Royal Family, and deserves the honor and recognition.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:08 AM
Nobility

Wow! This is a huge honor for the Duchess on her wedding anniversary.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 AM
Heir Apparent

She certainly got hers in better time than the Countess of Wessex. Nonetheless, it's entirely appropriate and a nice gesture.

Her personal coat of arms has now been adapted to include the order circlet.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

If you look at the different women who have married into the royal family during the Queen's reign:

Duchess of Kent
Duchess of Gloucester
Princess Michael of Kent (Marie-Christine)
Diana, Princess or Wales
Sarah, Duchess of York
Countess of Wessex
Duchess of Cornwall
Duchess of Cambridge

it is interesting to see that Camilla actually was given this award in the shortest period - 7 years, Sophie took 11 years, while Diana, Sarah and Marie-Christine have never received it (shouldn't count Kate after less than one year).

The other ladies also had to work for well over a decade.

Anne was 24 and had been working part-time as a royal for about 7 years when she was awarded this honour and she is the Queen's daughter. Alexandra was also given it as a Birthday/Christmas present for her 25th birthday.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Aristocracy

This is great! Congratulations to Camilla. Charles must be happy, too. It is such a nice and important gesture made by HM, thoughtful and well timed.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Commoner

Great that Camilla gets some recognition for the good work she's been doing, its about time too!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Fabulous news, I'm sure that Camilla and indeed Charles are very touched by this decision on the part of HM. What a lovely anniversary present. I look forward to seeing Camilla in the sash hopefully very soon.

Quick question - does Camilla's coat of arms change now to reflect that she's now a GVCO?

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall