The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 13: January 2010-September 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has something to do with the fact, that you're no longer required to dress in drab colours and have permed bluish hair after 50. If you are comfortable with ho you are and how you look, then you automatic look good even with the odd grey hairs and wrinkcles :)

The Duchess looked quite fabulous (thank you for the images, Tyger).

The Duchess looked quite fabulous (thank you for the images, Tyger).

It was actually Nico who posted them. :flowers: I quoted her. ;)

I think it has something to do with the fact, that you're no longer required to dress in drab colours and have permed bluish hair after 50. If you are comfortable with who you are and how you look, then you automatic look good even with the odd grey hairs and wrinkcles :)

So true! :heartflower: Love helps, too - and i mean love in the generic sense, and interest. :flowers:

Last edited:
It was actually Nico who posted them. :flowers: I quoted her. ;)

So true! :heartflower: Love helps, too - and i mean love in the generic sense, and interest. :flowers:

Oops. Well, 'then thank you' to the both of you :flowers: Love can help a great deal and it is my belief that with the right support system one can overcome almost anything. Camila has a great support system in her husband and the respect of the public is a great boost too.

I like this dress on the Duchess. An excellent choice for a garden show. She looks fresh & "blooming" :rose2:

Please may I provide a little background information?

I was lucky enough to be at Hampton Court Flower Show today. It is organised by the Royal Horticultural Society, who put on the Chelsea Flower Show. The Duchess of Cornwall did not spend too much time on the formal RHS exhibits but instead requested to be taken to the spectacular rose tent. One of the main differences between Chelsea and Hampton Court flower shows is that at the former you cannot buy the exhibits during the show, whereas at Hampton Court you CAN buy the flowers and plants during the show. Camilla seemed to be interested in purchasing roses......

The weather incidentally was marvellously warm during Camilla's visit and then after 4pm today there was a complete change, with the temperature dropping and rain falling....

Alex

Here's a great gallery of pics without waterwarks about yesterday's event:

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, attending the RHS Hampton Palace flower show, July 5th.

** zimbio/Bauer Griffin gallery **

Great dress - very summery. She really is a very attractive older woman. She makes us older ladies proud. ;)

Is it just me - or are people really looking better as they age these days?
The dress makes me dizzy- although the print is pretty!
And I think your point is very true!:)

Please may I provide a little background information?

I was lucky enough to be at Hampton Court Flower Show today. It is organised by the Royal Horticultural Society, who put on the Chelsea Flower Show. The Duchess of Cornwall did not spend too much time on the formal RHS exhibits but instead requested to be taken to the spectacular rose tent. One of the main differences between Chelsea and Hampton Court flower shows is that at the former you cannot buy the exhibits during the show, whereas at Hampton Court you CAN buy the flowers and plants during the show. Camilla seemed to be interested in purchasing roses......

The weather incidentally was marvellously warm during Camilla's visit and then after 4pm today there was a complete change, with the temperature dropping and rain falling....

Alex
I know you live in the UK diarist so that helps, but how do you get so lucky being able to attend all these Royal events?

I know you live in the UK diarist so that helps, but how do you get so lucky being able to attend all these Royal events?

Yes, roseroyal, I am lucky - or, probably, more accurately, fortunate as well as lucky!

To answer your question, at the moment, here in England is is the HEIGHT of 'The Season' [now more accurately the English Summer Season]. The members of my family - parents/ grandparents/ great-grandparents- and generations before that have always participated in this period of frenetic ativity that starts in April and ends at the end of this month. Bascially, then, it's just a family tradition that I am following. It is sometimes known as 'The London Season' because its events are based either in London or a short drive from the Capital.

Most countries seem to have 'seasons' of some sort - in short, a time in the calendar when it's 'fashionable' to be in a certain area at a certain time and where so-called 'Society' tends to gather. Palm Beach in Florida from January immediately comes to mind, and whenever there is a 'Season', parties and events tend to spring up!

Here in England, our summer 'season' is actually derived from the way the royal 'Court' use to move around. In May, June and July, the Monarch historically used to be in London, and so fashionable Society used to gather in London, Courts were held at which people could attend to pay their respects to their majesties and present their daughters etc etc. And so events used to 'spring up' to entertain fashionable Society when in London. Now, of course, Courts have ended, but the programme of events remains, and - which of course is a HUGE distinction between England and the USA - the Royal Family participate in the events.

Which is how, when I am lucky enought to be present at an event, there is a good chance a member of the Royal Family will 'show up'. Let me give you a few examples - although before doing so, let me make one very important point - 'showing up' at an event is possible for most people here in the UK - anyone who can afford the entrance fee can just pay and then turn up - you are not barred entry [athough to attend the Royal Enclosure at Royal Ascot there is a strict formal entry proceedure - although anyone can just turn up and buy tickets for the rest of the racecourse].

With Hampton Court Flower Show, you can just pay your money and go along. Tuesday is 'Members' Day for members of the Royal Horticultural Society. I am a member and so went on Memebers' day. The Duchess of Cornwall attended the Flower Show last year, and so there was a fair chance she would turn up on Tuesday. Which she did. Where I was very lucky lay in the fact that when the DofC turned up at the formal RHS exhibits, after seeing her (for interest's sake) I then turned round and headed in the opposite direction to the Rose Tent, because I thought that it would be less crowded [as everyone else was looking at Camilla...] Except, to my great good luck, the DofC decided that she wanted to look at ....The Rose Tent, and so she then rapidly turned round and in effect followed your humble Diarist....! So I was lucky enough to see Camilla at very close quarters and see what she was doing.

June in the British Summer Season tends to be heavy with Ceremonial - The Birthday Parade, Beating Retreat, The Garter Ceremony, Formal Carriage Procession at Royal Ascot etc etc. July tend to be slightly more informal - Wimbledon [lots of Royals in the Royal Box and I was lucky enough to get a centre court ticket because a great uncle has a Wimbeldon Debenture and two free tickets a day.....] Hampton Court Flower show [DofC - see above]. It was the British Grand Prix [motor racing] at the weekend - it is held at Silverstone, two hours from London but is still regarded as part of the English Summer Season. I adore motor sport - my father was an excellent amateur gentleman driver in the 1950's. Prince Micheal of Kent is president of the Royal Automobile Club, The Duke of Kent is president of the British Racing Drivers' Association, Princess Diana brought William and Harry to the GP when they were younger, Peter Phillips worked for a Formula One team at one stage and so was at the British Grand Prix each year at one point and so in other words as it is an event with close royal connections, there was a fair chance that Diarist would see a Royal or two - and over the event I did indeed see a bumper crop - Prince Michael, the Duke of Kent, Prince Harry... not bad!

This week is the climax of the British Open Polo Championship [the famous 'Gold Cup'] held at famous Cowdray Park, [ about an hour's drive from London]. Lord Cowdray was part of the Ibiza Crowd in his youth, at the same time as Fergie [part of the Paddy NcNally crowd] used to hang out there in the summer. So I reckon there is a fair chance of Sarah and /or Beatrice and/or Eugenie going to be there during the final matches next weekend. I have been going to polo at Cowdray Park for years and years and years and I never miss the Gold Cup and so I am going this weekend because I love Polo. But there is a chance that some Royals might be there too........

Do you see what I mean? It is not really 'luck' that I get to see the Royals, it is more a case of being fortunate enough to participate in many of the events of the English Summer Season.

Hope this answers your question,

Alex

[If anyone wants more details of the Season, let me know and I will post a new thread]

Last edited:
Thanks for the info... I see what you mean, I just did not know that these events were open to the public! Thanks for filling me in!
( Before you did, I thought you must have a job working for the Queen, or be a aristocrat, and move in the same circles as the BRF. LOL!)

Last edited:

Yesterday, July 12, the Duchess of Cornwall met staff, trustees and volunteers at a tea party at
Lostwithiel Community Hall in celebration of the Cornwall Rural Community Council's 65th anniversary.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gallery **

And she toured the facilities at Passmore Edwards Court, Liskeard, which provides affordable accommodation
to people over 50 allowing them to remain independent.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gallery **

The Duchess looks fresh & fun lately. Maybe Kate is rubbing off on them all (to include Anne, see her latest outfit).

And nice to see that the Duchess of Cornwall actually visits the County of Cornwall.

And nice to see that the Duchess of Cornwall actually visits the County of Cornwall.

Typically the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall visit the county for a few days around this time every year.

Thanks for the info... I see what you mean, I just did not know that these events were open to the public! Thanks for filling me in!
( Before you did, I thought you must have a job working for the Queen, or be a aristocrat, and move in the same circles as the BRF. LOL!)

If I was a member of the Household staff, don't forget that I would be subject to a confidentiality agreement and would be forbidden to post here! No, I am just your humble Diarist!

Camilla is actually seeming to be more accessible now - she undertakes the type of sole engagment where it is quite easy to see her - plenty of 'engagements in public' that everyone can [theoretically] access and not just 'closed' public engagements such as opening factories and schools etc / holding meetings for 'special interest' groups etc. Whilst Camilla does do all of these more 'closed' events, I am pleased that she is becoming quite accessible - when she married Charles, the general view was that she did not want to undertake too much work, only the bare minimum. Whilst she has flown home part-way through cetain royal tours abroad, she seems quite happy to turn out at home.... this I think is a good strategy because it visibly demonstrates to people that she is 'givng value for money to the British Taxpayer'. [ yes, I know that Camilla is not on the Civil List, but despite this, there is a residual cost to the public purse of the activities of the PofW and the DoC.]

However hard a particular Royal works, engagements abroad don't always have the same degree of accessibility- think of Hampton Court Flower Show, where 20,000 visitors could return home and say 'I saw Camilla up really close today'. It's good PR if you see what I mean...

Alex

Last edited:
After all the PR exercises to help her become more "popular", I'm surprised she still needs to keep on with them.

After all the PR exercises to help her become more "popular", I'm surprised she still needs to keep on with them.

Could you please elaborate ?

Could you please elaborate ?
Perhaps Renata is referring to all the money Charles spent on Camilla to get her hair done, teeth worked on, clothing etc. when they were propping her up for public acceptance and duty when she first graced his arm before they married.

I think Charles's money was well spent - although I still find it hard to think of Camilla as an *attractive* older woman. Well put together and not ugly, but average, in my view, in terms of looks (especially given what she spends on clothes and what-not).

It's very difficult to be Queenly when the current Queen has the job down, from birth, to a T and is just amazing to watch - Camilla is not as attractive, imo, as Queen Elizabeth II or her late sister or her mother. But the important thing is the queenliness (to me) and I have no idea how one acquires that, it's no easy thing to learn, I would think.

It may be something some people are born with.

The Duchess of Cornwall has attended The Prince's Foundation for Children & the Arts DesignQuest
Project Finale, met supporters of the charity at a reception and viewed a fashion show of young
people's designs, Banqueting House, London, July 20, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** zimbio gallery **

:previous:

Well it's more a story about Alice Keppel...

I'm still waiting for a REAL and SERIOUS program about the DOC and her work and above all an INTERVIEW of her.

:previous:

Well it's more a story about Alice Keppel...

I'm still waiting for a REAL and SERIOUS program about the DOC and her work and above all an INTERVIEW of her.

I don't think she will ever give an interview.

She hasn't so far so why would she do so now? If she did you get bet your bottom dollar that all that would be allowed would be questions relating to her life since joining the royal family and nothing about events pre-2005.

As she knows that isn't what people want to hear and she has kept her mouth shut so far I can't envision any reason for her to change from the example of the Queen - no interviews.

The Duchess of Cornwall has attended The Prince's Foundation for Children & the Arts DesignQuest
Project Finale, met supporters of the charity at a reception and viewed a fashion show of young
people's designs, Banqueting House, London, July 20, 2011.

** ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** **
Pic 2- I like how the DOC stands out from the rest in this pic. I like how the light makes the fabric of her dress shine. I love her smile.
Pic 3- She is probably thinking, " Oh God, what an atrocious headpiece." That and " How long has it been since you washed, brushed, or cut your hair?"
I feel really werid for asking this, but seriously, is that a man or a woman underneath all the feathers that look like roadkill, and that mop of hair? And why would you attach feathers and hair to your cane? Ah, it takes all kinds to make a world...

Last edited:
Pic 2- I like how the DOC stands out from the rest in this pic. I like how the light makes the fabric of her dress shine. I love her smile.
Pic 3- She is probably thinking, " Oh God, what an atrocious headpiece." That and " How long has it been since you washed, brushed, or cut your hair?"
I feel really werid for asking this, but seriously, is that a man or a woman underneath all the feathers that look like roadkill, and that mop of hair? And why would you attach feathers and hair to your cane? Ah, it takes all kinds to make a world...

Good analysis of the third picture. Good grief! What an ensemble.

I like the Duchess's dress. Very elegant and comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom