The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 12: July 2008-December 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Comparison of curious what the source of a necklace. Who know?

Pics 20.5.2009

British royal HRH Duchess of Cornwall on a visit to the 4th
Battalion The Rifles in Hampshire, UK, as she viewed their
training exercises before deployment to Afghanistan. 20/05/2009

Camilla dressed like this, looks always a bit funny in my eyes :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Personally, for Camilla's image, I think it would be better if chose something to be involved with that did not echo Charles' first wife. JMO. There are so many things out there...does it really have to be landmines? And frankly, given the fact that she made only 85 solo engagements (as per the Court Circular) in the calendar year of 2008, it's not as though she was on a busy on a 'cant escape it' visit.

Well she's not doing a landmine campaign. But I do agree Camilla should not involve herself with charities that are associated with the late Princess.

Well she's not doing a landmine campaign. But I do agree Camilla should involve herself with charities that are associated with the late Princess.

I though Scooter said that Camilla should NOT be involved with things associated with Diana.

I don't care what Camilla does as regards whether or not Diana was involved. Camilla needs to be involved in things that interest her and anything to do with the army does that as she spent many years as an officer's wife. If the things that interest Camilla are the same as Diana bad luck for those people who think Diana's charities should be off limits to Camilla. If Camilla isn't interested in things that Diana was interested in then so be it - some other person can always do the job.

The actual link is more, to my way of reading it, about the how the soldiers will check for landmines in Afghanistan rather than stopping them being laid.

Personally, for Camilla's image, I think it would be better if chose something to be involved with that did not echo Charles' first wife. JMO. There are so many things out there...does it really have to be landmines? And frankly, given the fact that she made only 85 solo engagements (as per the Court Circular) in the calendar year of 2008, it's not as though she was on a busy on a 'cant escape it' visit.

Camilla isn't doing a landmines campaign! She was on a visit to her regiment the 4th Battalion, The Rifles, they are about to be deployed to Afghanistan. Part of their training is to look for roadside bombs and incendiary devices, so they scan for them. She's using a scanner which is also used to pick up mines.
Camilla is quite commited to her regiment as she's made numerous visits to the soldiers over the last 12 months. She also writes to woundered soldiers and their wives and girlfriends, this information came via the Colonel of the regiment. As they are about to be deployed I doubt very much whether she wanted to escape this visit!
Since Camilla married she has been increasing her engagements each year, in 2008 ( as per Court Circular) she undertook 217 engagements, which brings her up to and some years ahead of the amount Sophie Wessex, The Duchess of Gloucester ( well ahead), the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra ( all well ahead) Looking at the rate she's attending engagements this year, solo and with Charles her total again will be an increase on last year.
Not all of Camilla's solo activities are listed in the Court Circular, such as the personal letters and connections with various organisations. The Court Circular just lists public engagements and meetings.

I though Scooter said that Camilla should NOT be involved with things associated with Diana.

I don't care what Camilla does as regards whether or not Diana was involved. Camilla needs to be involved in things that interest her and anything to do with the army does that as she spent many years as an officer's wife. If the things that interest Camilla are the same as Diana bad luck for those people who think Diana's charities should be off limits to Camilla. If Camilla isn't interested in things that Diana was interested in then so be it - some other person can always do the job.

The actual link is more, to my way of reading it, about the how the soldiers will check for landmines in Afghanistan rather than stopping them being laid.

Oops I meant not associated with.

Camilla isn't doing a landmines campaign! She was on a visit to her regiment the 4th Battalion, The Rifles, they are about to be deployed to Afghanistan. Part of their training is to look for roadside bombs and incendiary devices, so they scan for them. She's using a scanner which is also used to pick up mines.
Camilla is quite commited to her regiment as she's made numerous visits to the soldiers over the last 12 months. She also writes to woundered soldiers and their wives and girlfriends, this information came via the Colonel of the regiment. As they are about to be deployed I doubt very much whether she wanted to escape this visit!
Since Camilla married she has been increasing her engagements each year, in 2008 ( as per Court Circular) she undertook 217 engagements, which brings her up to and some years ahead of the amount Sophie Wessex, The Duchess of Gloucester ( well ahead), the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra ( all well ahead) Looking at the rate she's attending engagements this year, solo and with Charles her total again will be an increase on last year.
Not all of Camilla's solo activities are listed in the Court Circular, such as the personal letters and connections with various organisations. The Court Circular just lists public engagements and meetings.

Going off topic for one second how do you check the Court Circular, I got the engagements for DOC one by one but their mixed in the with POW engagements as well so do I have to individually count them or is there something released that say how many engagements are done per year for each member. Going back on topic, I'll be the first to say I'm not Camilla's biggest fan in the world, (I have warmed up to her the past few years particularly the past year) but I don't see the big deal in this she wasn't even campaigning against landmines. I laughed my head off when I saw the times article about this. As for my personal feelings, I dunno I'm kinda torn in a way I don't want her to be associated with the thing Diana did but then the other half of me thinks well it's not as if we can really stop celebs/royals from taking on the Diana's charities in the future so in a way there is no harm done and it does really help the charity in the long run, so I'm not really sure but I am happy to see Camilla taking on such an active role and of course as always supporting her husband and making him very happy. :flowers:

ETA: Does anyone know what going on with these two solo engagements, why does it now says " will NOT NOW" on it, none of the other ones say that so I'm assuming it's not normal and maybe means she's not doing it anymore. Sorry if it's been discussed before.
09 June 2009
The Duchess of Cornwall
President, National Osteoporosis Society, will NOT NOW open The Healthy Bones Service and launch the new Healthy Bones Mobile DEXA Unit at Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, Devon

09 June 2009
The Duchess of Cornwall
Patron, Moorland Mousie Trust, will NOT NOW visit the Exmoor Pony Centre, Dulverton, Somerset.

Personally, for Camilla's image, I think it would be better if chose something to be involved with that did not echo Charles' first wife. JMO.
This is a good example of the need to look at the context of a picture rather than the picture itself before jumping to unfounded conclusions.

The context: The Duchess of Cornwall on a visit to the 4th
training exercises before deployment to Afghanistan

The DOC is hardly stepping on the late Diana's toes in regard to a landmines campaign!

ETA: Does anyone know what going on with these two solo engagements, why does it now says " will NOT NOW" on it, none of the other ones say that so I'm assuming it's not normal and maybe means she's not doing it anymore. Sorry if it's been discussed before.
09 June 2009
The Duchess of Cornwall
President, National Osteoporosis Society, will NOT NOW open The Healthy Bones Service and launch the new Healthy Bones Mobile DEXA Unit at Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, Devon

09 June 2009
The Duchess of Cornwall
Patron, Moorland Mousie Trust, will NOT NOW visit the Exmoor Pony Centre, Dulverton, Somerset.

This reads to me that she had agreed to do these things but now will not be doing them.

Why - who knows but maybe a check of what else is planned for the 9th June would be interesting to see if she will be doing something else.

British royal HRH Duchess of Cornwall on a visit to the 4th
training exercises before deployment to Afghanistan. 20/05/2009

Camilla dressed like this, looks always a bit funny in my eyes :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Indeed she does look quite different in this kind of outfit. It is wonderful to see her attending engagements like this.
x

From the Times article for those that didn't get the chance to read it -
She is the Battalion’s royal Colonel and has met its soldiers a number of times over the past 12 months. Today was her final visit before they are posted to Helmand Province on June 5 ahead of up-coming elections. The unit’s commanding officer Lieutenant Colonel Rupert Jones said: “I don’t think you can understate how important it is to have a visit from the Duchess. We have a very important relationship with her and she feels this in return and I’m just grateful she found time in her busy diary to visit us
:clap::curtsey::clap:

Rupert is of course the son of the legendary Lt. Col H.

This reads to me that she had agreed to do these things but now will not be doing them.

Why - who knows but maybe a check of what else is planned for the 9th June would be interesting to see if she will be doing something else.
Yep that what I thought as well, I wonder as well what's going on, I'm trying to think I don't think any of the big royal events of the summer (ie Ascot and Trooping) interfere with this.

Yep that what I thought as well, I wonder as well what's going on, I'm trying to think I don't think any of the big royal events of the summer (ie Ascot and Trooping) interfere with this.
I can't find anything on either site showing the dates you have highlighted, do you remember where you saw them? :flowers:

They are in Beauly, Inverness and Strathpeffer, Scotland on the 4th June. The Trooping is the 13th and Royal Ascot 16th.

From the Times article for those that didn't get the chance to read it -
:clap::curtsey::clap:

Rupert is of course the son of the legendary Lt. Col H.

Excuse my ignorance, but who is he?

Indeed she does look quite different in this kind of outfit. It is wonderful to see her attending engagements like this.
x
I like her better like this she seems more herself than in gala wear and considering her fathers service I think this would be something she would be present at heart and soul.

Going off topic for one second how do you check the Court Circular, I got the engagements for DOC one by one but their mixed in the with POW engagements as well so do I have to individually count them or is there something released that say how many engagements are done per year for each member.
09 June 2009
The Duchess of Cornwall

09 June 2009
The Duchess of Cornwall

The Court Circular lists the royal families public engagements in retrospect. ( After they have taken place) It's published in certain newspapers and is online at the official royal site. It doesn't list the total engagements per year of each royal. A member of the public ( Tim Donovan) has since 1989 being doing it as a hobby and publishes the result at the end of each year in The Times newspaper. If you want the totals for all the royals, not just the few that appear in articles you need to find The Times Dec 31st and read the letters to the editor where the his letter his published with all the totals.
He doesn't break down engagements to solo vs together so I don't know where the 85 solo engagements for Camilla in 2008 came from, unless another journalist labouriously went through the Court Circular for the year. Or that total could have just come out of thin air! Newspaper articles tend to hedge workload totals depending on what slant their articles have. Eg Tim Donovan does break down how many domestic vs foreign engagements a royal does. So tabliod wrote a story about the low number of engagements Camilla did one year based on just the domestic total, left out the foreign engagements which of course would make the total higher. ( The slant was Camilla is lazy, here's the evidence) At times too lower amounts are used with the vague wording 'last year' but when you actually look at the numbers it was a different year. (This for articles about William's workload)

The Diary dates you copied are not from the Court Circular, but rather from the official site Future engagements, it's not very accurate as many engagements ( for various royals) are not always listed and they don't list meetings. It's not uncommon to see NOT NOW for various royal engagements, keeping in mind they are planned 6 months to a year in advance. There could be different reasons, the organisation itself may have cancelled the event or changed the date which the royal can't attend due to another engagement.
Earlier this year Camilla cancelled an engagement ( a visit to a nursery school) as she had bronchitis, it was rescheduled and she visited the nursery school 2 weeks ago. Taking this into consideration I think that if the royal cancels, the event gets postponed and rescheduled.

Thanks for the explanation Charlotte1, I have one more question I know how to check Royal engagements the day of in The Times but can you check them ahead of time via the Times website,cause I'd love to see what they say about these particular engagements on the Times site. I'm thinking if it is canceled they will eventually reschedule it.

Thanks for the explanation Charlotte1, I have one more question I know how to check Royal engagements the day of in The Times but can you check them ahead of time via the Times website,cause I'd love to see what they say about these particular engagements on the Times site. I'm thinking if it is canceled they will eventually reschedule it.

The notices in The Times are the Court Circular so only past events. I admit I don't check the online version as I have access to hardcopies of The Times but I would doubt whether the online version had future events. When it comes to Charles and Camilla's future engagements the Prince of Wales official site is actually better, but it only releases details on future engagements 2 weeks in advance. ( And even then not all of them, you still have to check the Court Circular, after the event) The only way really to see if the cancelled engagements are rescheduled is if you personally check both the POW site and the Court Circular.

[
Camilla doing what Camilla does best!

Personally, for Camilla's image, I think it would be better if chose something to be involved with that did not echo Charles' first wife. JMO. There are so many things out there...does it really have to be landmines?
Did you actually take the time to read the above article? Well that is obviously a rhetorical question because if you had you would have seen that it was part of a visit to her Regiment, pre deployment to Afghanistan and nothing whatsoever to do with any type of "Charity", Diana's or the UN's.
scooter said:
And frankly, given the fact that she made only 85 solo engagements (as per the Court Circular) in the calendar year of 2008, it's not as though she was on a busy on a 'cant escape it' visit.
You seem to have taken a internet headline and blindy leapt to you own conclusion and used this as a vehicle to rail at Camilla's lack of solo engagements with more than a little sarcasm.

This is about the Duchess of Cornwall's Current Events and, if necessary, actual reasons for her non participation.

I have to say that when I saw this picture of Camilla at the opening of the Box Parish Sports Youth and Community Pavilion on May 11 I was "bowled" over! She looks simply fantastic, it's one of the best pictures I've seen of her. I hope someone gives Charles a copy.
Getty Images - Camilla, Duchess Of York Opens Box Parish Sports Youth And Communitiey Pavilion

About this landmines thing, Camilla is merely acting as part of her role to her Regiment. Her father was in the military and had a strong commitment with regard to service to his country. I don't think Camilla was out roaming around looking for landmines and some photo ops, she was simply going through the motions of what her regiment will actually do (and looking quite comfortable, might I add).

Excuse my ignorance, but who is he?
:blush::blush:Sorry, he is legendary to many in the forces.:flowers:

The South Atlantic Medal Association 82
----------------------------End

Why the furore about a photograph and a misleading headline/article? I don't care who is associated with an anti Landmine campaign, it should be about the campaign - not any individuals.

Camilla was invited to spend a day with her battalion, a day they all apparently enjoyed. During the course of the visit, she was asked to watch/have a go at a number of activities but the reporter has focused on the sweeping for landmines, which all personnel are trained to do, none of whom are at all interested in which celeb was involved a number of years ago. For them the reality is training to avoid stepping on one!

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/new...talion_the_rifles_in_hampshire_320194361.html

The notices in The Times are the Court Circular so only past events. I admit I don't check the online version as I have access to hardcopies of The Times but I would doubt whether the online version had future events. When it comes to Charles and Camilla's future engagements the Prince of Wales official site is actually better, but it only releases details on future engagements 2 weeks in advance. ( And even then not all of them, you still have to check the Court Circular, after the event) The only way really to see if the cancelled engagements are rescheduled is if you personally check both the POW site and the Court Circular.
Ok thank you for the info. Seems the cancelled events aren't up on the POW site yet so I think we'll have to wait for another week to see.:flowers:

[ Camilla doing what Camilla does best!

Did you actually take the time to read the above article? Well that is obviously a rhetorical question because if you had you would have seen that it was part of a visit to her Regiment, pre deployment to Afghanistan and nothing whatsoever to do with any type of "Charity", Diana's or the UN's. You seem to have taken a internet headline and blindy leapt to you own conclusion and used this as a vehicle to rail at Camilla's lack of solo engagements with more than a little sarcasm.

This is about the Duchess of Cornwall's Current Events and, if necessary, actual reasons for her non participation.

MARG, to be clear...my numbers were from the official Court Circular for last year and this year. Please take the time to look through the actual Circular of engagements Camilla has undertaken and count them up. 85 solo engagements last year in total. I'm pretty sure the official court circular is an accurate count..or do you disagree?

As far as the Landmines issue...there are many, many, many issues Camilla could be involved with on any level. It would be wise, from a PR point of view (IMO), for her to forge a new course, not one associated with her predecessor.

Furthermore, I would appreciate it if you would refrain from calling me sarcastic for pointing out that Camilla has not performed nearly as many engagements at 60, as the wife of the Heir to the Throne, as compared to her in-laws. When you look at the number of engagements carried out by The Princess Royal or the Duke of E in his 90s, Camilla does not come remotely close to the number of engagements logged (approximately 50% of the number performed by her 94 year old FIL).

:previous:

I'm sorry to say but sometimes your comments do come across as either sarcastic or condescending.
Then I guess that Camilla should have turned down the presidency of Barnardo's. :ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom