The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 12: July 2008-December 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sharp eye = very good eye so you have said the right thing. :)

Duchess of Cornwall visits the Emmaus Charity Shop on December 22, 2008 in Nailsworth, England
Getty Gallery

Last edited:
Of course I had understood how you meant it, giov,
thanks for that kind compliment :flowers:

Camilla visited the Emmaus retail shop to meet previously homeless people,
staff,customers,trustees and supporters.

Here's a gallery from ibl

Another "Good Job" to the Duchess, i enjoy seeing her in comfortable situations enjoying herself. I wish more recognized her "common touch" and played up this side of her personality. She seems to jump right in and have a jolly time making others feel comfortable...it's a sterling quality IMO (and we know i didn't start out a fan) She seems the type of woman that would help after the party cleaning up and doing dishes and laughing the whole time. I like her and i admire her fortitude making her own path and making the prince so happy (he glows)

The Duchess of Cornwall indulged in some last-minute Christmas shopping when she visited her local charity shop today - picking up a second-hand toy truck for just £3.
Camilla reportedly told staff at the Gloucestershire store that 'everyone likes a bargain' as she snapped up the good-as-new wooden lorry for her granddaughters.

Camilla finds £3 toy truck bargain for her granddaughters at charity shop | Mail Online
-----------------
I have looked and I can't find a negative comment in this article, now that makes a change!:flowers:

I have looked and I can't find a negative comment in this article, now that makes a change!:flowers:

Christmas spirit perhaps? :angel:

Lovely pics

Iceflower and giov, thank you for the wonderful pictures. The children appeared to be having a lot of fun. A video of the event at Highgrove would have been the icing on the cake. :flowers:

How truly heartwarming! The Duchess looks radiant to be surrounded by all of those children. You can tell she is certainly passionate as well as genuine about her causes. I particularly liked how she bought the second hand toy--not only showing thriftiness during the economic times but also endearing herself (once again) to all. Simply put, she's wonderful.

If Charles wants her to be Queen, Camilla needs to start pulling her weight. Why does she only have 137 engagements a year, only about 25% of the number done by QE? I could see it the first year that she was a Royal, to ease into it. But for all 3 years she's been in the RF? This is why she is percieved by many to be lazy. When did Mark Bolland, who did the major rehab of her image, call her 'The laziest woman in Britain'?

If Charles wants her to be Queen, Camilla needs to start pulling her weight. Why does she only have 137 engagements a year, only about 25% of the number done by QE? I could see it the first year that she was a Royal, to ease into it. But for all 3 years she's been in the RF? This is why she is percieved by many to be lazy. When did Mark Bolland, who did the major rehab of her image, call her 'The laziest woman in Britain'?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Mark Bolland claimed to know ALL the women in Britain, what a silly man! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Of course it is possible that many detractors miss the fact that obviously more people ask HM or Charles and all of the royals attend events they have been connected with for years. The charities are not going to risk losing all royal patrons by suggesting they might like to change to Camilla. Not all events where she has accompanied her husband are included I believe.

Still to some, it wouldn't matter if she did four times the amount of HM, they would still find cause to criticise.:rolleyes:

I am not sure how reliable the story is. It does not clarify whether the 137 engagements Camilla was reported to have carried out were indeed solo engagements, or the total number of the engagements she carried out during the year. Camilla carries out a number of engagements every year alongside Charles. The total number is the relevant number.

Does the court circular publish joint engagements?

"has been dubbed as the 'Duchess of Dolittle ' by Palace staff"

perhaps those on the staff that can't show proper respect to the Duchess should seek employment elsewhere.

i don't think the poor lady can win, if she did 700 engagements, she would be in competition with Anne and that would be the story JMO no matter what she does they're going to take shots.:nonono:

*quote from article "The simple fact is that she hates being on public view and doesn't want to do it. She sees her duty as a wife, not as a public figure, ' said a family friend

If she considers it her top priority to keep her husband happy, she's successfull, he's never looked better or happier. I'm not sure i believe this story but if she does indeed not like doing these public events, she sure puts up a good front and jumps right in with a big smile, at least she's being a good sport and not showing her discomfort.

"has been dubbed as the 'Duchess of Dolittle ' by Palace staff"
perhaps those on the staff that can't show proper respect to the Duchess should seek employment elsewhere. ... [snipped]

Is it going to be an internal witch hunt to weed out enemies, who show lack of respect to Duchess of Cornwall? I have heard many times that Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall inspire loyalty in their employees.

Does the court circular publish joint engagements?

I think it does, scooter.

The article quotes a 'family friend' who says Camilla sees her role more as a wife than a public figure. Its hard to tell if the statement is really true but it's believable. I always suspected that Charles and Camilla didn't exactly welcome their relationship becoming official with the responsibilities that were attached to it and the Queen put her foot down and said if they were going to continue, they had to make it legal.

I'm sympathetic to Camilla in this respect to a degree and I think its good that she seems to want to work with her husband rather than against him but at some point, I think, she has to come to terms with the fact she married the next King of Great Britain and that requires her becoming a public figure and doing well at it.

But that having been said, I think the Palace places more emphasis on the quantity of engagements rather than the quality. It doesn't impress me that so-and-so had 300-odd engagements in a year but it does impress me when they have a few, memorable ones. And I also think the joint engagements with two or more members of the Royal Family have a greater impact than the solo engagements that the Palace seems to favor.

I think if they focused on the quality of the engagements rather than the quantity and had more joint engagements with the royals interacting with each other, the perception of the whole Royal Family would be higher.

I'm not sure i believe this story but if she does indeed not like doing these public events, she sure puts up a good front and jumps right in with a big smile, at least she's being a good sport and not showing her discomfort.
As I put, the original story was in The Daily Star, which is on a lower level than any other rag I can think of here, perhaps even below the National Enquirer! :lol::lol: It contain news worthy articles such as 'Babe Advent Calender', 'Saucy German melts the web'. :nonono::nonono:
Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: News

I am not sure how reliable the story is. It does not clarify whether the 137 engagements Camilla was reported to have carried out were indeed solo engagements, or the total number of the engagements she carried out during the year. Camilla carries out a number of engagements every year alongside Charles. The total number is the relevant number.

You'd think she could at least try to keep up with the Queen, who is 20+ years older than her. There are hundreds of charities that are turned down by other royals because they are too busy. She could easily pick up some of these charities that are desperate for a royal patron.

Here's the breakdown of the stats:

According to official Palace Court and Social records, Camilla carried out 137 domestic engagements and helped Charles on four foreign visits, while she pulled out of one Middle East tour because aides said she found it "too hot".
Last year, the Queen carried out 425 engagements and Prince Charles 498, thus making the Princess Royal as the hardest working royal with 613 official jobs and appointments.
However, many of Camilla's engagements were limited to attending family parties, joint visits with Charles, or receiving guests. In fact, one listed job was simply getting on a plane on the way to a trip overseas.

I'm sure if Camilla did more, she'd be criticized for hogging the limelight like her predecessor. It's like Gilda Radner said, "it's always something."

And people should remember that at 61, Camilla is at an age where many people are cutting back. Her Majesty is an anomaly.

You'd think she could at least try to keep up with the Queen, who is 20+ years older than her. There are hundreds of charities that are turned down by other royals because they are too busy. She could easily pick up some of these charities that are desperate for a royal patron.

Here's the breakdown of the stats:
According to the article in The Daily Star, word for word in fact. Therefore we do not know if the statistics and comments are from anyone except the reporter!

Can you help us out with a link to the 100's of charities that are turned down by other royals? However my immediate reaction would be that it would be hypocritical to become patron of a 'cause' that is not of interest or one that could in any way be deemed political i.e. How would people feel if she accepted the invitation to become royal patron to PETA or WSPA?

HM and Charles have been at this for many, many years and have built up their list, anyone joining the 'Firm' at this stage has a limited amount of engagements/approved charities to pick from, IMO.

seejat said:

I still don't get the connection between quantity and quality, seejat. Yes, the Queen has so many events but how many from this past year can you really remember?

The visit to Croatia recently was one that was truly memorable but though the calendars may be full, there are not a lot of events that really give a bang for the buck.

As I put, the original story was in The Daily Star, which is on a lower level than any other rag I can think of here, perhaps even below the National Enquirer! :lol::lol: It contain news worthy articles such as 'Babe Advent Calender', 'Saucy German melts the web'. :nonono:
You forgot that memorable article in the National Enquirer: Oprah's suicide drama!
:lol:

I think Camilla is doing a FINE job and if this story is true, those people ought to be sacked for talking at the least.

According to the article in The Daily Star, word for word in fact. Therefore we do not know if the statistics and comments are from anyone except the reporter!
It is a truth universally known that a Daily Mail Journo (and all others of that ilk) checks his integrity at the Editors Door. We would be wise to check our credulity at the Newsagent! :whistling:

skydragon said:
HM and Charles have been at this for many, many years and have built up their list, anyone joining the 'Firm' at this stage has a limited amount of engagements/approved charities to pick from, IMO.
Trying to "break in" to the Royal Charity Train must be a killer. There is always that pesky worry that a Charity could end up on the recieving end of a shower of bread rolls from the "anti" brigade. :lol:

If her personal preference is to put her husband first I would be the last to whinge. He has never looked happier or more relaxed. Better still, he is not afraid to let us see his joy in life. :in_love:

So to all those mean spirited killjoys out there . . . . bah humbug! :D

i wish we could see some photos of Camilla and her two angel grandaughters:wub: this Christmas, i'm sure she's over the moon this year doting on them. I'm looking forward to seeing Charles with them too, he was always so sweet with the boys, and girls are so different and delightful, i hope they have a special and close relationship. I wonder what they call them.....most kids pick their own in the end....poppy, poppop, grandnan, nana,????? Sir or Ma'am:eek:????? it's a very special year for them as grandparents, very special:flowers:

i wish we could see some photos of Camilla and her two angel grandaughters:wub: this Christmas, i'm sure she's over the moon this year doting on them. I'm looking forward to seeing Charles with them too, he was always so sweet with the boys, and girls are so different and delightful, i hope they have a special and close relationship. I wonder what they call them.....most kids pick their own in the end....poppy, poppop, grandnan, nana,????? Sir or Ma'am:eek:????? it's a very special year for them as grandparents, very special:flowers:

Beautifully said! I would love to see some photos of "Grandma Camilla" spoiling those grandbabies. Charles always wanted a girl, or so I've read so how true that is I don't know, but I'm sure he's fantastic with them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom