The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 12: July 2008-December 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. And if you check the Court Circular, many of her engaements are perfunctory as well.

I understand that she's been married into the family for 4+ years. However, I think it's extremely unrealistic to say that Camilla will be increasing her engagements as she gets older. If she's not doing it in her early 60s she certaily wont be doing it in her late 70s. And Iluv bertie....It's not that I dont 'comprehend' your rationalization of Camilla overly light work load. It's that I dont accept it as a reasonable excuse for her doing as few engagements as she does.

I agree. And if you check the Court Circular, many of her engaements are perfunctory as well.

I understand that she's been married into the family for 4+ years. However, I think it's extremely unrealistic to say that Camilla will be increasing her engagements as she gets older. If she's not doing it in her early 60s she certaily wont be doing it in her late 70s. And Iluv bertie....It's not that I dont 'comprehend' your rationalization of Camilla overly light work load. It's that I dont accept it as a reasonable excuse for her doing as few engagements as she does.

So how do you think she should increase her engagements if she isn't asked to do things?

She can't simply just turn up you know.

It is also because of people like you, who are so fanatical about Charles' late first wife, that many organisations are wary about asking her to take them on due to knowing that many people will argue that that was one of Diana's causes so how dare Camilla get involved? She is also aware of this problem and so is choosing her causes carefully so as to avoid that accusation but...

She is condemned by those same supporters for not doing enough despite increasing her engagements since starting, but of course to many people such as yourself, she isn't doing enough, and no amount of statistics or logic will satisfy them.

If she got involved in causes close to Diana, or even ones that Diana was only lightly associated with, she would be condemned but as Diana had so many causes it doesn't leave a lot for Camilla but even so that isn't a good enough explanation for some people. Camilla has found causes that have meaning for her and with which Diana wasn't associated and as more companies see what she is like, and as her popularity also rises, slowly but it is rising, she will get more organisations asking for her as well.

She is increasing her engagements - the statistics prove that. She will continue to do so along with Charles, just as the Queen and Philip will continue to cut back (the statistics are clear here as well).

I saw a docco a few weeks ago about Charles and Camilla's relationship over the years and the difficulties they encountered during the breakups of their respective marriages and the steps that were taken to slowly introduce Camilla to the RF and the public and to get her finally accepted by the Royal Family and the public. Despite all the scrutiny and unpleasantness and nasty press directed at her during their very public divorces, and continuing today, Camilla has behaved with good grace and dignity with a smile on her face. If I'd been put through what she went through in the public eye I think I'd be thumbing my nose at everyone and sitting in the garden with a G&T reading Horse & Hound, but she is better than me. She has hung in there and proved her dedication and love by taking on the difficult job of being Charles' wife and consort at an age when most of us would look at the prospect of taking on such a public, lifetime job with the promise of an increasing workload, with horror.

IMO Camilla has settled in well and is doing a good job. She has brought out the best in Charles and made him smile again and her support makes his load easier. IMO that is her main function.

I don't think it matters that she does fewer engagements than other members of the RF who were either born to their job or married into it when relatively youthful. The ones she does she seems to do well, and we know she does a lot of stuff behind the scenes that does not get publicity. It's not a competition to see who can do the most engagements. All their situations are different, and Camilla also has her own two children and their families to share her time with.

I saw a docco a few weeks ago about Charles and Camilla's relationship over the years and the difficulties they encountered during the breakups of their respective marriages and the steps that were taken to slowly introduce Camilla to the RF and the public and to get her finally accepted by the Royal Family and the public. Despite all the scrutiny and unpleasantness and nasty press directed at her during their very public divorces, and continuing today, Camilla has behaved with good grace and dignity with a smile on her face. If I'd been put through what she went through in the public eye I think I'd be thumbing my nose at everyone and sitting in the garden with a G&T reading Horse & Hound, but she is better than me. She has hung in there and proved her dedication and love by taking on the difficult job of being Charles' wife and consort at an age when most of us would look at the prospect of taking on such a public, lifetime job with the promise of an increasing workload, with horror.

IMO Camilla has settled in well and is doing a good job. She has brought out the best in Charles and made him smile again and her support makes his load easier. IMO that is her main function.

I don't think it matters that she does fewer engagements than other members of the RF who were either born to their job or married into it when relatively youthful. The ones she does she seems to do well, and we know she does a lot of stuff behind the scenes that does not get publicity. It's not a competition to see who can do the most engagements. All their situations are different, and Camilla also has her own two children and their families to share her time with.

What a great post - agee 100%.

On that note we'll leave Camilla and 2009 and move into 2010.
The Duchess of Cornwall current events 13 commencing January 2010 can be found here.



Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom