The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Indeed she does look quite different in this kind of outfit. It is wonderful to see her attending engagements like this.
x
I like her better like this she seems more herself than in gala wear and considering her fathers service I think this would be something she would be present at heart and soul.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Going off topic for one second how do you check the Court Circular, I got the engagements for DOC one by one but their mixed in the with POW engagements as well so do I have to individually count them or is there something released that say how many engagements are done per year for each member.
ETA: Does anyone know what going on with these two solo engagements, why does it now says " will NOT NOW" on it, none of the other ones say that so I'm assuming it's not normal and maybe means she's not doing it anymore. Sorry if it's been discussed before.
09 June 2009
The Duchess of Cornwall
President, National Osteoporosis Society, will NOT NOW open The Healthy Bones Service and launch the new Healthy Bones Mobile DEXA Unit at Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, Devon

09 June 2009
The Duchess of Cornwall
Patron, Moorland Mousie Trust, will NOT NOW visit the Exmoor Pony Centre, Dulverton, Somerset.
The Court Circular lists the royal families public engagements in retrospect. ( After they have taken place) It's published in certain newspapers and is online at the official royal site. It doesn't list the total engagements per year of each royal. A member of the public ( Tim Donovan) has since 1989 being doing it as a hobby and publishes the result at the end of each year in The Times newspaper. If you want the totals for all the royals, not just the few that appear in articles you need to find The Times Dec 31st and read the letters to the editor where the his letter his published with all the totals.
He doesn't break down engagements to solo vs together so I don't know where the 85 solo engagements for Camilla in 2008 came from, unless another journalist labouriously went through the Court Circular for the year. Or that total could have just come out of thin air! Newspaper articles tend to hedge workload totals depending on what slant their articles have. Eg Tim Donovan does break down how many domestic vs foreign engagements a royal does. So tabliod wrote a story about the low number of engagements Camilla did one year based on just the domestic total, left out the foreign engagements which of course would make the total higher. ( The slant was Camilla is lazy, here's the evidence) At times too lower amounts are used with the vague wording 'last year' but when you actually look at the numbers it was a different year. (This for articles about William's workload)

The Diary dates you copied are not from the Court Circular, but rather from the official site Future engagements, it's not very accurate as many engagements ( for various royals) are not always listed and they don't list meetings. It's not uncommon to see NOT NOW for various royal engagements, keeping in mind they are planned 6 months to a year in advance. There could be different reasons, the organisation itself may have cancelled the event or changed the date which the royal can't attend due to another engagement.
Earlier this year Camilla cancelled an engagement ( a visit to a nursery school) as she had bronchitis, it was rescheduled and she visited the nursery school 2 weeks ago. Taking this into consideration I think that if the royal cancels, the event gets postponed and rescheduled.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the explanation Charlotte1, I have one more question I know how to check Royal engagements the day of in The Times but can you check them ahead of time via the Times website,cause I'd love to see what they say about these particular engagements on the Times site. I'm thinking if it is canceled they will eventually reschedule it.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Thanks for the explanation Charlotte1, I have one more question I know how to check Royal engagements the day of in The Times but can you check them ahead of time via the Times website,cause I'd love to see what they say about these particular engagements on the Times site. I'm thinking if it is canceled they will eventually reschedule it.
The notices in The Times are the Court Circular so only past events. I admit I don't check the online version as I have access to hardcopies of The Times but I would doubt whether the online version had future events. When it comes to Charles and Camilla's future engagements the Prince of Wales official site is actually better, but it only releases details on future engagements 2 weeks in advance. ( And even then not all of them, you still have to check the Court Circular, after the event) The only way really to see if the cancelled engagements are rescheduled is if you personally check both the POW site and the Court Circular.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Majesty

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Delight View Post
Camilla doing what Camilla does best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Personally, for Camilla's image, I think it would be better if chose something to be involved with that did not echo Charles' first wife. JMO. There are so many things out there...does it really have to be landmines?
Did you actually take the time to read the above article? Well that is obviously a rhetorical question because if you had you would have seen that it was part of a visit to her Regiment, pre deployment to Afghanistan and nothing whatsoever to do with any type of "Charity", Diana's or the UN's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
And frankly, given the fact that she made only 85 solo engagements (as per the Court Circular) in the calendar year of 2008, it's not as though she was on a busy on a 'cant escape it' visit.
You seem to have taken a internet headline and blindy leapt to you own conclusion and used this as a vehicle to rail at Camilla's lack of solo engagements with more than a little sarcasm.

This is about the Duchess of Cornwall's Current Events and, if necessary, actual reasons for her non participation.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Royal Highness

I have to say that when I saw this picture of Camilla at the opening of the Box Parish Sports Youth and Community Pavilion on May 11 I was "bowled" over! She looks simply fantastic, it's one of the best pictures I've seen of her. I hope someone gives Charles a copy.
Getty Images - Camilla, Duchess Of York Opens Box Parish Sports Youth And Communitiey Pavilion

About this landmines thing, Camilla is merely acting as part of her role to her Regiment. Her father was in the military and had a strong commitment with regard to service to his country. I don't think Camilla was out roaming around looking for landmines and some photo ops, she was simply going through the motions of what her regiment will actually do (and looking quite comfortable, might I add).

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 05-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but who is he?
Sorry, he is legendary to many in the forces.

The South Atlantic Medal Association 82
----------------------------End

Why the furore about a photograph and a misleading headline/article? I don't care who is associated with an anti Landmine campaign, it should be about the campaign - not any individuals.

Camilla was invited to spend a day with her battalion, a day they all apparently enjoyed. During the course of the visit, she was asked to watch/have a go at a number of activities but the reporter has focused on the sweeping for landmines, which all personnel are trained to do, none of whom are at all interested in which celeb was involved a number of years ago. For them the reality is training to avoid stepping on one!

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/news...320194361.html
Old 05-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
The notices in The Times are the Court Circular so only past events. I admit I don't check the online version as I have access to hardcopies of The Times but I would doubt whether the online version had future events. When it comes to Charles and Camilla's future engagements the Prince of Wales official site is actually better, but it only releases details on future engagements 2 weeks in advance. ( And even then not all of them, you still have to check the Court Circular, after the event) The only way really to see if the cancelled engagements are rescheduled is if you personally check both the POW site and the Court Circular.
Ok thank you for the info. Seems the cancelled events aren't up on the POW site yet so I think we'll have to wait for another week to see.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
[ Camilla doing what Camilla does best!

Did you actually take the time to read the above article? Well that is obviously a rhetorical question because if you had you would have seen that it was part of a visit to her Regiment, pre deployment to Afghanistan and nothing whatsoever to do with any type of "Charity", Diana's or the UN's. You seem to have taken a internet headline and blindy leapt to you own conclusion and used this as a vehicle to rail at Camilla's lack of solo engagements with more than a little sarcasm.

This is about the Duchess of Cornwall's Current Events and, if necessary, actual reasons for her non participation.
MARG, to be clear...my numbers were from the official Court Circular for last year and this year. Please take the time to look through the actual Circular of engagements Camilla has undertaken and count them up. 85 solo engagements last year in total. I'm pretty sure the official court circular is an accurate count..or do you disagree?

As far as the Landmines issue...there are many, many, many issues Camilla could be involved with on any level. It would be wise, from a PR point of view (IMO), for her to forge a new course, not one associated with her predecessor.

Furthermore, I would appreciate it if you would refrain from calling me sarcastic for pointing out that Camilla has not performed nearly as many engagements at 60, as the wife of the Heir to the Throne, as compared to her in-laws. When you look at the number of engagements carried out by The Princess Royal or the Duke of E in his 90s, Camilla does not come remotely close to the number of engagements logged (approximately 50% of the number performed by her 94 year old FIL).
Old 05-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Nobility

I'm sorry to say but sometimes your comments do come across as either sarcastic or condescending.
Then I guess that Camilla should have turned down the presidency of Barnardo's.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
MARG, to be clear...my numbers were from the official Court Circular for last year and this year. Please take the time to look through the actual Circular of engagements Camilla has undertaken and count them up. 85 solo engagements last year in total. I'm pretty sure the official court circular is an accurate count..or do you disagree?

As far as the Landmines issue...there are many, many, many issues Camilla could be involved with on any level. It would be wise, from a PR point of view (IMO), for her to forge a new course, not one associated with her predecessor.

Furthermore, I would appreciate it if you would refrain from calling me sarcastic for pointing out that Camilla has not performed nearly as many engagements at 60, as the wife of the Heir to the Throne, as compared to her in-laws. When you look at the number of engagements carried out by The Princess Royal or the Duke of E in his 90s, Camilla does not come remotely close to the number of engagements logged (approximately 50% of the number performed by her 94 year old FIL).

Could you please tell me who is the 94 year old FIL?

Philip will be 88 next month so it isn't him.

I am sure you also took into account when quoting the figures about engagements the fact that Camilla had major surgery last year that kept her away from public engagements for many weeks and that she also does a lot of engagements with her husband. She has also only been a member of the RF for four years and has joined it at a much later age than most.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

As long as we're dealing with numbers from the Court Circular, it'd be good to know that we're comparing like with like.

Could you give us the number of joint engagements Camilla undertakes with Charles, and also the number of solo engagements undertaken by Prince Philip and the number of his joint engagements with the Queen?

As for comparing her with Princess Anne, most members of the royal family look like slackers next to her.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Camilla is not involved with any Landmine issues, although I am sure Guy Willoughby enjoys her support. She was visiting her Battalion, at their invitation, to watch them in training, part of which is searching for Landmines.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:

When you look at the number of engagements carried out by The Princess Royal or the Duke of E in his 90s, Camilla does not come remotely close to the number of engagements logged (approximately 50% of the number performed by her 94 year old FIL).
Where does the number 85 solo engagements come from, not the Court Circular as the engagements are merely listed for the previou day? They are not totalled in the CC. Camilla undertook 217 engagements in 2008, this can be vertified in print ( source Tim Donovan The Times Dec 31st 2008) Tim Donovan does not total solo engagements separately from joint engagements for a couple. Eg The Duchess of Gloucestor undertook 144 engagements last year, we don't know how many were solo and how many were with her husband. Same with the Wessexes.

I think it's already been pointed out her FIL isn't 94! He's also steadily decreasing his total engagements per year, ( 354 in 2008, no idea how many were solo) By the time he is 94 Camilla's total will have overtaken him as she's increasing her engagements each year and he's decreasing.

Princess Anne's workload is held up everytime someone wants to criticise Camilla's but then even Anne can't sustain it and is decreasing. From a peak in 2005 of 640 engagements to 534 in 2008.

Charles, Camilla, William and Harry are all gradually increasing their public engagements.

The Queen, DoE, and Anne are decreasing.

Wessexes, Gloucestors, Kents ( Duke and Alexandra) are all maintaining around the same amount, depending on the year.

Andrew's fluctuates up and down from year to year, 535 (2005) 446 (2006) 556 (2007) 507 ( 2008)

I have hard copies of Tim Donovan's tallies from The Times showing the number of engagements for members of the royal family.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
As long as we're dealing with numbers from the Court Circular, it'd be good to know that we're comparing like with like.

Could you give us the number of joint engagements Camilla undertakes with Charles, and also the number of solo engagements undertaken by Prince Philip and the number of his joint engagements with the Queen?

As for comparing her with Princess Anne, most members of the royal family look like slackers next to her.
Elspeth, I dont have time to count up everything for each person this weekend....however, for the calendar year 2008...solo..Camilla 85, Phillip 185. For the first quarter of 2009, Camilla 20, Phillip 38. Camilla averages half or less of her elderly father in law's number of engagements. This information is open to anyone who would like to see the reality, as stated by the Royal household. Go to the COurt Circular, hit search past events and start counting. These are the official numbers, not something I have invented.

If the Camilla Claque insists, before they wiill accept the number, I will type it up line by line so as to settle the matter, next week. Hopefully, it will then no longer be 'sarcasm and condescending'.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post

I'm sorry to say but sometimes your comments do come across as either sarcastic or condescending.
Then I guess that Camilla should have turned down the presidency of Barnardo's.
And welcome to TRF Aurora.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Elspeth, I dont have time to count up everything for each person this weekend....however, for the calendar year 2008...solo..Camilla 85, Phillip 185. For the first quarter of 2009, Camilla 20, Phillip 38. Camilla averages half or less of her elderly father in law's number of engagements. This information is open to anyone who would like to see the reality, as stated by the Royal household. Go to the COurt Circular, hit search past events and start counting. These are the official numbers, not something I have invented.

If the Camilla Claque insists, before they wiill accept the number, I will type it up line by line so as to settle the matter, next week. Hopefully, it will then no longer be 'sarcasm and condescending'.
IMHO the number of solo engagements is also a reflection of the number of charities and patronages that each member of the Royal family is associated with.

Breakdown from the official BRF website:

The Queen - 635, The Duke of Edinburgh - 815, The Prince of Wales - 476, The Duchess of Cornwall - 58, Prince William - 21, Prince Harry - 9, The Duke of York - 131, The Earl of Wessex - 65, The Countess of Wessex - 63, The Princess Royal - 323, The Duke of Gloucester - 131, The Duchess of Gloucester - 75, The Duke of Kent - 124, The Duchess of Kent - 74, and Princess Alexandra - 126 Joint memberships have not been included.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
. . . . . . . . . As far as the Landmines issue...there are many, many, many issues Camilla could be involved with on any level. It would be wise, from a PR point of view (IMO), for her to forge a new course, not one associated with her predecessor. . . . . . .
To reiterate my question in my previous post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Did you actually take the time to read the above article?
Your reply speaks for itself. Instead of correcting a misunderstanding? you pontificate on Camilla's need to "forge a new course"!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
If the Camilla Claque insists, before they wiill accept the number,
I thought this was a current events thread.
Claque -
a group of persons hired to applaud an act or performer.
2. a group of sycophants.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Lets not just scoot around the issue here. Surely, the relevant statistic is the total number of engagements Camilla carries out in a year, and not just the ones she does on her own. As somebody who was always saw her role as primarily supporting her husband, that is probably right. However, like it or not, she will be consort to the next King, and I think it is important she increases her public profile, primarily by carryig out more engagements (jointly or independently). I do think she needs to gradually work her way up to between 300-400 engagements a year.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall