The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 12: July 2008-December 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: And many unreported. IMO, she is well received by members of the armed forces and their families.

Well, her father was a military man, and by all accounts, she was very close to him. She's seems to enjoy herself at these military related functions, doesn't she?

Well, her father was a military man, and by all accounts, she was very close to him. She's seems to enjoy herself at these military related functions, doesn't she?

Not only her father but her first husband so she was an army wife during her marriage to Andrew (and of course she is now the daughter-in-law of the Commander-in-Chief of the British army and is the wife of the next person to hold that position and the step-mother of the one after that alone with being the step-mother of two serving officers).

The Duchess of Cornwall "thoroughly enjoyed" a classic play about a prostitute and her daughter as she helped launch a theatre's refurbishment campaign.
Her Royal Highness watched a performance of George Bernard Shaw's "Mrs Warren's Profession" at the Theatre Royal Bath, in Somerset.

The Press Association: Duchess backs theatre campaign

Not only her father but her first husband so she was an army wife during her marriage to Andrew (and of course she is now the daughter-in-law of the Commander-in-Chief of the British army and is the wife of the next person to hold that position and the step-mother of the one after that alone with being the step-mother of two serving officers).
I think that as Skydragon says, a lot of her engagements are not covered. I guess her work, especially with the military is just not seen as "interesting" by the media, which is a shame on all fronts. The people have a right to see the real cost of political will in the lives and sacrifices of their troops and their families.

Her upbringing as a military brat followed by that as an officer's wife gives her a unique knowledge of how the military functions and how to use that knowledge to interact on a personal level with military personnel and their families irrespective of rank. That she is a popular visitor is easy to see.

She seems equally at home with WWII veterans to those young men and women serving or preparing to serve overseas. Her empathy when dealing with the families of those serving in Iraq and Afgahnistan irrespective of rank is clear to see as is her easy rapport with the injured from those same theatres of war.

The BRF has really scored an asset in Camilla Duchess of Cornwall, even more has the Military.

:previous:
I think Skydragon meant that the DOC visits service personnel and their families privately, rather than with a press pack accompanying her.

:previous: Could be but I still feel that there is less and less coverage of the BRF and Camilla in particular.

Warren said:
I think Skydragon meant that the DOC visits service personnel and their families privately, rather than with a press pack accompanying her.

Didn’t some of the families of the soldiers from Camilla’s regiments told of her numerous private visits? I think it was about a year ago.
Edit: here is a story about Camilla’s private correspondence and meetings with soldiers from her regiment.
It’s from 2007 and written by Richard Kay (which is rather surprising) - Camilla is rallying the troops

A quote from Lt Col Sanders (from an article from PoW website): "It is a huge honour to have The Duchess as our Royal Colonel. Each battalion of the Rifles gets its own Royal Colonel and we think we have struck gold. She is so interested in what we are doing. She has got such a fantastic touch with everyone in the regiment - the families, the children and the men."

Last edited:
:previous:
Yes I did, Richard Kay reported a similar thing after he read my post back in 2006-7, :)biggrin:). Many of the visits are not notified to the media purely because not all soldiers or their families want to appear on the TV or in the papers. IMPE, she is highly thought of.:flowers:

:previous: Could be but I still feel that there is less and less coverage of the BRF and Camilla in particular.
MARG, if you go to the Court Circular, which list all the engagements of the BRF, you will see that compared to the rest of the BRF, Camilla does only a fraction of the work her in laws do. It's not that their is less coverage for Camilla's engagements...there are in fact far less engagements done by Camilla than her elderly parents in law, her sister in law etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be but I still feel that there is less and less coverage of the BRF and Camilla in particular.
There certainly seems to be less coverage of HM but Charles and Camilla seem to make the papers on a regular basis. Edward & Sophie, it is rare to see anything about them in the national press, the same with Andrew and Anne, I can't recall the last time I saw an article on Anne. I don't think it is that any of them are doing less or as was suggested by a poster, nothing, (he/she is not resident in the UK so only has online versions of major papers to rely on).:flowers:

I am at a loss as to why you think that 'BRF has really scored an asset in Camilla'.
I think I more than covered that in my previous posts 424 &426; In this particular instance I was commenting on her work, much of it behind the scenes, with the military. As an ex Air Force member I understand how much such small kindnesses mean. Mostly they are done behind the scenes and with no fanfare, and in these cases she has been "outed" by some of the recipients of said kindnesses. They like her, they appreciate what she does and how she does it. They are entitled to their opinion which is based on their personal experience. I agree with their opinion.

Camilla rallying the troops? That's all they need! Poor chaps didn't sign up for that...

Camilla rallying the troops? That's all they need! Poor chaps didn't sign up for that...
Would that be a spiteful comment? The men and women in the armed forces like Camilla, she is one of the few royals that actually spends private, off camera time and effort on them and for them. :whistling:

Didn't you appreciate the comment? I'm sure the armed forces would much rather have Camilla visit than... Um... Er... A young pop starlet or a drag artist?

Didn't you appreciate the comment? I'm sure the armed forces would much rather have Camilla visit than... Um... Er... A young pop starlet or a drag artist?
They don't seem too keen on drag artistes and nice young anything, as long as she is well endowed is fine for a solo visit, but not as a Royal Colonel interested in the well being of the servicemen/women and their families, as one put it nahh.

As a proud mother of 2 serving their country, ANY VISIT from a dignitary is an honorable one.

As a proud mother of 2 serving their country, ANY VISIT from a dignitary is an honorable one.
And as the wife of a service member (23 years and still serving btw), I'm positive that my hubby would be honored with a visit from the Duchess.:)

:previous: As are all my children, husband and relatives in the armed services. Any visit from Camilla is something to be really pleased about.:flowers:

Good...now that that is agreed on....we can move on.

Let's get back on topic..and don't forget the Duchess (along with the Prince of Wales) is on her way to Canada.
All information, pictures, and the like can be found here: Charles and Camilla visit to Canada

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

The link is corrected now.

Politicians, actors and royalty gathered at London's Southwark Cathedral today to remember the life of Sir John Mortimer.
Friends and associates from the late author, barrister and dramatist's many careers gathered for a memorial service at the capital's South Bank.
Among the mourners were Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Alan Rickman, Jeremy Irons and Lord Mandelson

Read more: Duchess of Cornwall, Jeremy Irons and Peter Mandelson remember the life of Sir John Mortimer | Mail Online
-------------------------------
IMO, Camilla looked very chic.

Camilla did look wonderful. I love the brooch.

I know little about Sir John but his daughter, Emily Mortimer, is one of my favourite actresses.

Last edited:
Its good to see Camilla out and about so soon after the Canadian trip.

It is important that she be seen as a hard working royal. Whilst I am a big supporter of Camilla, I do think her summer holiday stretched from August to October, witrh hardly any engagements in between.... and that is not great.

Ouch!... Camilla accidentally gives little Jerrod a royal bump on visit to nursery playground

As an adoring grandmother, the Duchess of Cornwall always prides herself on getting up close and personal with her young fans.

Unfortunately for three-year-old Jerrod the experience was a little closer than he actually bargained for.

Touring a nautical-themed childrens' playground in north-west London today, Camilla bent down to chat to one youngster from the Happy Child Harlesden Nursery and accidentally bumped the little boy who had been trying to unceremoniously squeeze past her.

Pics 19.11.2009

Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall breaks the tassel as she switches on
the Christmas Lights in the Burlington Arcade on November 19, 2009,
London, England.
After a boisterous countdown by a large crowd of invited shoppers, she
tugged the tassel, only to have it come off in her hand and the rope
bounce above her head. The guests all howled with laughter and Camilla
appeared to take the mishap good-naturedly and smiled broadly as she
looked around.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** zimbio/gettyimages **

She seems to have alot of malfunctions, doesn't she?

She really does. I think it's sort of charming that she's so accident-prone.

She does, but I agree, it fits into her awkward earthy charm. She carries off mishaps with such ease. But the photo with the little boy and has got to be the royal photo of the year. so funny!

Mishaps do make one smile (guffaw) where the dear Duchess is concerned rather than cringe! I think perhaps it is because she appears to have rather a good thigh-slapping Jilly Cooper-esque sense of humour!!!!

I loved the event where HRH was unveiling a plaque and it fell on the floor....her reaction was classic.....a really 'Ooooops' moment and it was hysterical when it was later found that the plaque had been secured to it's mounting with blue tac!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom