The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 11: February-July 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Testino is indeed the master of B and W.

Nico-
The pictures were originally in British Vogue in celebration on their one year wedding anniversary. The black and white and color or both very nice.
I think similar to the Testino images of Diana, they capture Camilla's personality.
Also, thank you for all of your great photo posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh! My! Indeed what a nice shocker that was! Those are VERY nice legs! :flowers:

It is wonderful that Camilla is so willing to be involved with our service personnel, past and present. :flowers:

It is wonderful that Camilla is so willing to be involved with our service personnel, past and present. :flowers:

I think she has felt involved in army life since childhood and thus has a real understanding for the people who as part of their job have to experience extreme conditions, physically and psychologically. So IMHo for her is is not a duty, an even sometimes unpleasant task but something she enjoys doing because she sees that she has to give something to the people she encounters, something that is gratefully received and returned. And this positive form of interaction IMHO tells when one views pictures of her engagements.

Last edited:
Pic 1 - Camilla's hat looks very Edwardian in style. Quite a contrast to last week's general Ascot fashions.

Those are really lovely shots of her at Cowbridges.
I live just outside Blackpool, and had planned to attend the day, and yes I did hope to see the Duchess! I care for my mum, and can't leave her. I was unable to find anyone to take over for the day, so was very disappointed to miss everything, had to watch it on the local news. It seemed to be a great success, though the weather was not kind.
Thank you everyone for the links and pix.

What a regal picture! Hat, gloves, pearls, smile, flags...a real queen in waiting.
It seems that the DOC is now plainly confident about her role. It's just an idea or she's gaining more and more popularity? I read several articles lately with the mention "cheering crowds": PR operation or real acceptance from the british people?

Those are really lovely shots of her at Cowbridges.
I live just outside Blackpool, and had planned to attend the day, and yes I did hope to see the Duchess! I care for my mum, and can't leave her. I was unable to find anyone to take over for the day, so was very disappointed to miss everything, had to watch it on the local news. It seemed to be a great success, though the weather was not kind.
Thank you everyone for the links and pix.

god bless you for taking care of your mum normalil. :)

What a regal picture! Hat, gloves, pearls, smile, flags...a real queen in waiting.
It seems that the DOC is now plainly confident about her role. It's just an idea or she's gaining more and more popularity? I read several articles lately with the mention "cheering crowds": PR operation or real acceptance from the British people?
I think the acceptance was there for many, it's just some of the media now chooses to show it. :flowers:

Duchess of Cornwall performs half as many engagements as Queen
July 2

The Duchess of Cornwall performed 201 official engagements last year, 10 per cent fewer than in the previous 12 months.

Duchess of Cornwall performs half as many engagements as Queen - Telegraph
The article does say that -
Clarence House said that the 10 per cent reduced workload for the Duchess, 61, was caused by the two months' convalesence she required after a hysterectomy last year
Unable to work for 2 months, that would affect anyones record. :rolleyes:

The article does say that - Unable to work for 2 months, that would affect anyones record. :rolleyes:

And we know that the quality of her engagements and her work ´in the background´ ( writing letters to injured soldiers...etc...) gives a better pic of her ´royal duties´ than only a number can do.
But the press uses it to speak again about Camilla as a ´lazy royal´, therefore i hope it will change with the next annual review.

The article does say that - Unable to work for 2 months, that would affect anyones record. :rolleyes:
Well for goodness sake! I had a hysterectomy at 27 due to cancer. I was wiped for a week! I couldn't imagine being 61 and having one, let alone being currently 42. I'm sure I'd be out for at least 3 weeks. It gets harder to heal when you get older. They should cut her some slack fer cryin' out loud! :bang:

As somebody who has been a staunch supporter of Camilla, I have to admit, albeit reluctantly, that this is an area where Camilla is exposing herself to criticism. It really is the same story every year. She really does need to be doing a lot more engagements. We all know she is a "reluctant" royal, and this was not what she wanted to take on, but this is really the price of being married to the PoW. If you have not workedformost of ytour life, it is quite digfficult to take on a full schedule when you are nearly 60 - but Camilla has now been married for over 3 years and she should have fully acclimatised to the new regime. I know she does a lot of work out of the public eye, and that the "quality" of her engagements is very high, but Clarence House does need to keep an eye on the sheer number of engagements she does. I know this list of engagements is just a "league table", but it certainly matters from the point of view of public perception. I think this really is one of the only points of criticism against her, and let this not get on the way of her being made Queen. She has won public acceptance, but just needs to be seen to be working hard for the causes she supports. If at 87 the DoE can do 350, she really should try and increase the number of engagements to that sort of level. After all, she will be the consort of the King, and will then be expected to carry out a lot more engagements.

Last edited:
Well for goodness sake! I had a hysterectomy at 27 due to cancer. I was wiped for a week! I couldn't imagine being 61 and having one, let alone being currently 42. I'm sure I'd be out for at least 3 weeks. It gets harder to heal when you get older. They should cut her some slack fer cryin' out loud! :bang:
Lets face it, if she did 300% more engagements than everyone else, these people would still find something to complain about. I would rather have Camilla 'engaged' for the morning in one of my causes, than a 5 minute walk by, that some of the other royals offer.:rolleyes:

A friend has recently undergone a hysterectomy at the age of 56 and 4 months on she is struggling. Standing for any period of time is, she says, crippling. Even our forays into the multitude of shops in London have been curtailed, she just can't do it. So imagine if you are expected to walk about, smile, make small talk..... Healing takes place at different rates for different people and dependant upon their age. Just because one woman is able very quickly to resume a 'normal' life, doesn't mean every woman would feel up to it.

I think anyone who has had a Ceasarian or Hysterectomy, or man that has undergone abdominal surgery, would have every sympathy for her.

Goodness, when some men 'suffer' from 'man flu', the whole world stops!

I think the statistic is rather unfair to the Duchess. We don't know for sure how long she spends at each engagement or how much prep time is required for her and her staff. I'm sure that, despite their ages, the Queen and DoE are acquainted with many of the people they meet, their background, etc. and can remember some of these things. Camilla is a relative newbie. (And I'm sure in deference to age that the Queen's and DoE's engagements are kept shorter.) Perhaps it's better that the Duchess attend fewer events but concentrate on making a good showing when she appears.

I think the statistic is rather unfair to the Duchess. We don't know for sure how long she spends at each engagement or how much prep time is required for her and her staff. I'm sure that, despite their ages, the Queen and DoE are acquainted with many of the people they meet, their background, etc. and can remember some of these things. Camilla is a relative newbie. (And I'm sure in deference to age that the Queen's and DoE's engagements are kept shorter.) Perhaps it's better that the Duchess attend fewer events but concentrate on making a good showing when she appears.

I agree with you. The 'league table' of engagements that supposedly assesses how hard a 'royal' works by the number of engagements is in fact biased in favour of someone like the Queen. For example only the Queen can greet and say farewell to ambassadors & to judge by tv programmes such meetings take an average of 10-15 minutes. So the Queen can theoretically notch up 4-6 engagements in one hour without moving from the Palace. Whereas Camilla might take an hour & a half going round a hospice for sick children in Oxford & that doesn't account for the travel time there & back. Besides which the Queen is patron of hundreds of charities and institutions, whereas I don't think Camilla has even notched up 50 yet.

Excellent post, Muriel...

As somebody who has been a staunch supporter of Camilla...
I totally agree. It has been three years and the excuses are becoming tiresome. This is one area where she has total control over her image. She should find a handful of causes close to her heart and run with it. I realize she's not 25, but she opted to become a senior royal and it comes with a price. Can anyone imagine the Queen going on a vacation in just a few short weeks after the Christmas break at Sandringham, or not hearing about any engagement for weeks at a time? And I rather doubt she does SO much behind the scenes since it would hardly be in CH's best interest to keep it quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom