The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I hate to say so, but this is utter rubbish!
True. But unfortunately we live in a world where the dictates of political correctness rule long after their use-by date. George Orwell certainly knew a thing or two about psychology and here we are, decades down the road, held hostage and threatened by "big brother" at the least whiff of deviation from the new age. The Duchess of Cornwall is called a racist . . . . . because of a doll.

I researched a wonderful anglo-saxon expletive that more than covers such infringements. . . . . . . Bollocks!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 AM

The thing about the gollywog is that it's one of those 1950s symbols that was hijacked by the political correctness brigade with the justification that if they didn't, the white supremacists would. What they failed to realise is that they actually set about making a racist symbol out of something that wasn't. Gollywogs were as much a part of my childhood as they were Camilla's despite the 40 years between us and at no point in my kinder days did I ever register the idea that gollywogs were at all racist. They appeared in Enid Blyton and they were on the jam jars, as far as I could see they were simply strange little men. To say Camilla is now a racist because she's got a gollywog keyring is actually as offensive to me as a Briton as those who say that the Union Flag is a racist symbol and shouldn't be used. Political Correctness is responsible for alot of silly and stupid laws and to be honest, I don't think I need a faceless blue-rinse brigade telling me what offends me and what doesn't. That sort of thing should have died with Mary Whitehouse.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Majesty

In my personal opinion ...

As for the doll, the bag is all right, whereas the doll looks childish. I can see such dolls dangling from little/young girls' bags. However, this dangling doll does not mean racial offense. The stable European democracies and monarchies sink into political correctness, which often runs to the extremes.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Political Correctness is responsible for alot of silly and stupid laws and to be honest, I don't think I need a faceless blue-rinse brigade telling me what offends me and what doesn't. That sort of thing should have died with Mary Whitehouse.
Excuse me, the blue rinse brigade has nothing to do with it, it is the 20-30 somethings, who haven't got a life or a clue!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:54 PM

lol. You're probably right actually. But I feel I've touched a nerve - have you got a blue rinse Skydragon? You can tell me. I'm a gay.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Neither Duchess of Cornwall nor Prince of Wales have an open mind for different things. The couple in question performs their duties and goes home to usual things as all of us do. Life is a theatre and we are actors in it. They are old and rigidly conservative to have an open mind.
As for the doll, the bag is all right, whereas the doll looks childish. I can see such dolls dangling little/young girls' bags. However, this dangling doll does not mean racial offense. The stable European democracies and monarchies sink into political correctness, which often runs to the extremes.
To have an open mind for different things, humans, opinions...etc has nothing to to with age or to be conservative. You can be young but intolerant and narrow minded or old and be the same. And you can have an open mind with 20 and with 90.
To be conservative means that you admire special values in your life like generations before you did. Something bad about it? I can´t see.

The Prince and the Duchess are not only doing a job or act... or can somebody really believe that the Prince doesn´t do his environmental work with all of his heart or that the Duchess doesn´t support the NOS with her power, her heart and her love?? ( only two examples)

If someone like a keyring is everybody´s choice ( i´m old and i like it to have some) and to make a big story of this doll is only good for another bad newspaper story.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Majesty

I stand by my opinion. I do not have a truly open mind due to my background and up-bringing. Thus, I do not pretend having this so-called open mind. Prince Charles and his wife can not afford to show that they do not have an open mind due to the position they occupy in the stable European monarchy. Prince Charles does play good or bad roles depending on circumstances. Duchess of Cornwall is more or less the same.
It seems to me that you have misinterpreted my words about conservatism. As for the doll, I have pointed the post is my personal opinion.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:24 PM

I totally understand where Al_Bina is coming from. I have alot of friends in and from the former USSR and its hard for them to adapt to modern ways of thinking by Western standards.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
lol. You're probably right actually. But I feel I've touched a nerve - have you got a blue rinse Skydragon? You can tell me. I'm a gay.
Heavens NO, I am a brunette, with a little help from a bottle. I have no intention of growing grey gracefully!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Heavens NO, I am a brunette, with a little help from a bottle. I have no intention of growing grey gracefully!
It's L'Oreal and she's worth it! Does anybody use blue rinse anymore? I thought that went out with Auntie Mame.
I had to look up gollywogs, I hadn't a clue as to what it was.
Learn something new everyday at TRF!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Duchess of Cornwall, who is Royal Colonel of the 4th Battalion, visits 'The Rifles' at the Kiwi Barracks, Bulford, Wiltshire, UK, July 14 2008
Abaca Press Americas Search Results
Old 07-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you for the pics, giov!

The Duchess of Cornwall donned a camouflage jacket during an outing with an army battalion.

The Press Association: Camilla meets her troops
Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

She wore an elegant peppermint green suit in honour of the occasion.

But the Duchess of Cornwall didn't bat an eyelid when she was asked to don a combat jacket to take part in army wargames yesterday

Camilla in combats: Duchess climbs aboard tank for army wargames | Mail Online
Old 07-14-2008, 06:42 PM

The photos are beautiful. It's always hilarious how they manage to sneak Diana into everything. And they even tried to polish over the absurdity of the comparison with a nod to Lady Thatcher. As if those two dames were Camilla's only predecessors in regimental inspections.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by giov View Post
The Duchess of Cornwall, who is Royal Colonel of the 4th Battalion, visits 'The Rifles' at the Kiwi Barracks, Bulford, Wiltshire, UK, July 14 2008
Oh RIGHT ON MA'AM!!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by giov View Post
Thank you so much for the pics. My favorite Abaca photo is number 4. IMHO, it shows the concern that Camilla has for 'The Rifles'.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:35 AM

I'm so happy for her. She truly seems to be happy in this way of life she has chosen. She has all that radiance of a person who is surprised to find that she has achieved or been blessed with a happiness she never dared to expect.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
I'm so happy for her. She truly seems to be happy in this way of life she has chosen. She has all that radiance of a person who is surprised to find that she has achieved or been blessed with a happiness she never dared to expect.
I'm not sure about the word 'blessed' but, yes, she has worked hard to get to where she is.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
She certainly seems happy visiting 'her' regiment. As you say surprised that she has been given a chance of such happiness.
--------------------
The Duchess of Cornwall took an impromptu ride in an armoured vehicle as she visited an army battalion yesterday.

Duchess of Cornwall's ride in armoured vehicle - Telegraph

a corporal's wife, said: "The Duchess is lovely and down to earth, taking time to speak with all of us which made us feel appreciated."We are all aware of what she has done for our battalion and this visit has given us a chance to say thank you."
Old 07-15-2008, 05:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika_ View Post
I'm not sure about the word 'blessed' but, yes, she has worked hard to get to where she is.
Boring ...

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall