The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

A luxury liner launched by the Duchess of Cornwall has been hit by a potentially fatal stomach bug, which has struck down nearly 80 passengers.

'Curse of Camilla' cruise ship struck by winter vomiting bug | the Daily Mail

From the article - "dubbed the Canary Islands trip the "cruise from hell" after complaining about poor room service, blocked toilets, a lack of Christmas decorations, cold food and extra charges for tea and coffee".

"The highly infectious Norovirus can kill and is frequently spread by food handlers who fail to wash properly". - and this is Camilla's fault how?

Old 12-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Champagne never lies...

Those poor holdiay makers. Not nice at all.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 12-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Champagne never lies...
What happened with all these ships then?

BBC NEWS | UK | Vomiting virus sweeps through QE2
BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Virus-hit cruise ship ends voyage
BBC NEWS | Scotland | Highlands and Islands | Illness strikes Stornoway ferry
BBC NEWS | UK | Virus ship docks in Southampton
Old 12-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
A luxury liner launched by the Duchess of Cornwall has been hit by a potentially fatal stomach bug, which has struck down nearly 80 passengers.

From the article - "dubbed the Canary Islands trip the "cruise from hell" after complaining about poor room service, blocked toilets, a lack of Christmas decorations, cold food and extra charges for tea and coffee".

"The highly infectious Norovirus can kill and is frequently spread by food handlers who fail to wash properly". - and this is Camilla's fault how?
Simply umbelievable! And when you take a look at some of the article's comments...
I'm pretty sure that some pseudo journalists from this s... of Daily Mail just waited an event like this aboard the ship to hurt again a little bit more the Duchess.
Their articles are often ridiculous, but this one is ridiculous AND particulary rude imo.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Aristocracy

That was so stupid calling it the curse of the duchess. the Daily Mail needs to get a life.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
To built a connection between Camilla, who launches the ship, and the virus the travellers are infected now is too stupid, too ridiculous, too impudent, to give a serious comment!
But didn´t we wait of this kind of rubbish after the champagne bottle didn´t break?
(Maybe the ships have a problem with hygiene?)
Old 12-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Gentry

Hi I'm new to the forum. Pleased to see the support for Camilla. A dignified lady I think.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
What happened with all these ships then?
I believe it's what's known as 'light jesting', and it's accessible to all...

I do feel sorry for those who are hoping for the trip of a lifetime only to harbour a stomach ailment or even worse. Not nice.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 12-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalil View Post
Hi I'm new to the forum. Pleased to see the support for Camilla. A dignified lady I think.
Hello normalil, welcome!

Sickness strikes Camilla's cruise ship - Telegraph

The illness that has taken hold of the £300 million Queen Victoria, follows a run of bad luck cast at the luxury cruise liner's naming

The bad luck has nothing to do with Camilla, but much to do with bad hygiene, untrained staff and poor management! The same for the QE2 who as we know had no problems with champagne bottles breaking or not!
Old 12-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
To built a connection between Camilla, who launches the ship, and the virus the travellers are infected now is too stupid, too ridiculous, too impudent, to give a serious comment!
But didn´t we wait of this kind of rubbish after the champagne bottle didn´t break?
(Maybe the ships have a problem with hygiene?)
Gisela, Camilla did not launch the ship (that happened when the ship left its dock and went into the sea - in South Africa? Or where was she bulid?) she simply named it.

And that's a difference, an important one, IIRC. "Curses" only appear at the launch of a ship not on a naming ceremony...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:42 PM

I can't see how a cruise ship can possibly be a breeding ground for germs as a result of staff hygiene neglect when cruise ships are usually staffed entirely gay men and I don't know one gay man who wouldn't wash his hands before going into the kitchen.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Gisela, Camilla did not launch the ship (that happened when the ship left its dock and went into the sea - in South Africa? Or where was she bulid?) she simply named it.
Totally exact it was Maureen Ryan, who worked aboard all the 4 previous "Queens" ships, who launched the ship in the shipyard in Italy.
But sadly the D... Mail doesnt care about such details....
Old 12-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Royal Highness

It is interesting how people, espeically journalists at the Daily Mail and such publications, fail to completely ignore Science and Medicine. Viruses are spread by germs and people breathing all over each other and not washing their hands. Especially on ships where everyone is in such close quarters--one non-Lysoled doorknob or remote control and everyone gets sick. So, unless Camilla was there deliberately rubbing her germ infested hands on doorknobs throughout the Victoria, I fail to see the connection. Really, this is
"Curse of Camilla" is just completely inappropriate to suggest and it thoroughly annoyes me!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
..... So, unless Camilla was there deliberately rubbing her germ infested hands on doorknobs throughout the Victoria,
Old 12-30-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
It is interesting how people, espeically journalists at the Daily Mail and such publications, fail to completely ignore Science and Medicine. Viruses are spread by germs and people breathing all over each other and not washing their hands. Especially on ships where everyone is in such close quarters--one non-Lysoled doorknob or remote control and everyone gets sick. So, unless Camilla was there deliberately rubbing her germ infested hands on doorknobs throughout the Victoria, I fail to see the connection. Really, this is
"Curse of Camilla" is just completely inappropriate to suggest and it thoroughly annoyes me!
Well, she shot JFK and invaded Poland - why wouldn't she spread a virus on a cruise liner?
Old 12-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

It most likely refers to the old superstition that if the champgne bottle does not break the ship is cursed. Plenty of articles available around the time the ship was launched with the uncooperative champagne bottle. No need to take everything so seriously.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Well, she shot JFK and invaded Poland
Not sure about assasination of JFK but certainly she's never been to Poland and I don't mind her invading my homeland - what a photo op for me !
Old 12-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Royal Highness

Here we are...of course from a very Camilla friendly source...

The Royalist - Holidaymakers Hit By 'The Curse of Camilla'
Old 12-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Here we are...of course from a very Camilla friendly source...
Lets just call it very 'challenged' source!
Old 12-31-2007, 02:24 AM
Courtier

This is a discussion board and therein lies its value.

However, I really don't understand why we would give any air at all to these newspaper reports which are, so palpably, arrant nonsense.

Much of this sort of rubbish is written to glean a reaction. We shouldn't oblige, in my opinion.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, DUCHESS!

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall