The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Majesty

On Wednesday 16 January The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the Costume Department @RoyalOperaHouse.

The Duchess will find out more about the scale of the department’s work and their use of textiles before hearing from @TheRoyalBallet dancers about the design of their costumes.

Via Kensington Palace Twitter

Old 01-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Majesty

More information on Catherine’s visit to the Royal Opera House

The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the Costume Department at The Royal Opera House on Wednesday 16th January to learn more about their use of textiles, commissioning of fabrics and supply chain. The visit will allow Her Royal Highness to find out more about the scale of the department’s work and how different textiles influence various costumes.

The textile and manufacturing industry is an area of interest to The Duchess. Her Royal Highness’ great-great-grandfather, Francis Martineau Lupton, was a mill owner who ran the family’s successful textile manufacturing business, William Lupton & Company, with his three brothers.

The Royal Opera House Costume Department is responsible for creating, refurbishing and conserving thousands of opera and ballet costumes per season, with up to 600 costumes per production. Up to 10,000 costumes are used each year by artists from The Royal Ballet and The Royal Opera House. The department has built up a historic costume collection of more than 5,000 items, including some dating back to 1861. Many of the costumes are used time and time again thanks to good maintenance and repair. It takes the entire revival workroom around 1,500 hours to refurbish the costumes.

During her visit to the Costume Department, Her Royal Highness will visit the pattern room where she will be shown the process of working and creating costumes for a new production with designers, including sourcing fabrics and samples. The Duchess will then visit the dye shop where staff will showcase different techniques including dyeing, hand-painting, staining garments and digital printing which allows the team to reproduce historic fabrics no longer available. Her Royal Highness will also meet costumiers in the Work Room working on multiple new shows.

Before departing, The Duchess will then meet with Royal Ballet Principal Dancers Lauren Cuthbertson, Laura Morera and Vadim Muntagirov who will explain how various factors such as lighting, interaction and movement influence the designs of their costumes. Her Royal Highness will then watch the dancers rehearsing the romantic Ballet The Two Pigeons

Old 01-14-2019, 10:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

Before departing, The Duchess will then meet with Royal Ballet Principal Dancers Lauren Cuthbertson, Laura Morera and Vadim Muntagirov who will explain how various factors such as lighting, interaction and movement influence the designs of their costumes. Her Royal Highness will then watch the dancers rehearsing the romantic Ballet The Two Pigeons
I realize that Charlotte will be in school and certainly won't be taken out of school to attend with the Duchess but I wish she could. It appears that both Catherine and Charlotte have a love for the ballet and after their outing in December I can see this type of engagement being one of the first to get Charlotte used to attending engagements when she's ready.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:37 AM
Majesty

Today's the day! We couldn't think of a better champion for TGC's aim of giving city children, young people and families the opportunity to benefit by spending time outdoors in natural environments. We welcome HRH the Duchess of Cambridge today @KHWGarden

Via The Garden Classroom Twitter

https://twitter.com/grdnclassroom/st...343563266?s=21
Old 01-15-2019, 06:08 AM
Administrator

The Duchess of Cambridge visiting King Henry's Walk Garden today:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** gettyimages gallery ** rex gallery **

** dailymail: Here comes casual Kate! The Duchess of Cambridge dresses down in a £400 Dubarry jacket during a visit to a community garden..**
Old 01-15-2019, 08:30 AM
Royal Highness

Does anyone know whether Kate has been able to design a family garden at Kensington palace similar to what she is designing for the Chelsea Flower show? Or isn't the space at KP big enough? I think that they have a private garden at Anmer though.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Fantastic opportunity for kids to enjoy a bit of nature, some crafting and a snack today.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:57 AM
Majesty

The Duchess of Cambridge joined a group of school children in pizza-making during a visit to a community garden in North London.

HRH told the children that making pizzas outside was the “coolest thing ever” and went on to say that George and Charlotte would “love” to do this.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here is an extended clip of today's engagement. Very long and lots of great footage.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
Does anyone know whether Kate has been able to design a family garden at Kensington palace similar to what she is designing for the Chelsea Flower show? Or isn't the space at KP big enough? I think that they have a private garden at Anmer though.
They certainly have a reasonable sized garden at KP. How it is landscaped is certainly not in the public domain. Anmer, on the other had, has extensive gardens.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:35 PM
Royal Highness

Ok. Thanks for the response!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I can imagine that the Cambridges are quite a sporty and outdoorsy family so they probably spend a lot of time outside; so I'm sure that Catherine had fun on this engagement today!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Making Pizza's outdoor with the duchess it doesn't get much cooler than that for those lucky kids!

14 May 1643-Death of Louis XIII de France /Louis II de Navarre
Old 01-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Courtier

I enjoyed the extended clip so much. This is the first time I have heard Kate having a conversation with a group of children. I just love the way she talks. If I had her beautiful accent I would never shut up! She is so comfortable around children and is great keeping the conversation going.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I enjoyed the extended clip so much. This is the first time I have heard Kate having a conversation with a group of children. I just love the way she talks. If I had her beautiful accent I would never shut up! She is so comfortable around children and is great keeping the conversation going.
Birmingham, Alabama accents are beautiful, too!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-15-2019, 11:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Birmingham, Alabama accents are beautiful, too!
Thank you. I have a really southern accent.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:57 AM
Administrator

The Duchess of Cambridge visited the Costume Department at the Royal Opera House today, January 16:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages gallery **

** hellomagazine: Kate Middleton recycles purple Oscar de la Renta dress at the Royal Opera House **

** dailymail: Kate's plum job! Duchess of Cambridge recycles £2,700 Oscar de la Renta suit as she visits the costume department..**
Old 01-16-2019, 06:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Gallery

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...house,_london?

Video from her arrival

https://twitter.com/i/status/1085488194269908993

and inside

https://twitter.com/i/status/1085489744132427776
Old 01-16-2019, 01:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
The Duchess of Cambridge revealed her daughter Charlotte is a budding ballerina after being introduced to it by a member of the Royal Opera House.

Kate revealed her three-year-old's love of ballet as she was given a backstage tour of the Opera House.

She thanked the member of the Royal Ballet who had given Charlotte "a little introduction" saying she had been “so keen ever since”.
ITV News
Old 01-18-2019, 03:55 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

At 40+ pages, it's time for a new thread:

The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 6: January 2019 -

Tags
catherine, current events, duchess of cambridge