The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Did any of you maybe consider that the reason she kept looking down wasn't because she needed her notes, but because the photographers seemed to be standing quite close- flashes were probably going off in her face the whole time.

She smiled. She didn't lose her composure when she stumbled and her audience seemed to find it charming.

Ah well.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
In three years she's done two tours and is about to do a third, has become a mother, done more individual engagements than her husband, dealt with near constant public scrutiny (including greeting the world press only several hours after giving birth) and integrated herself into the royal family in a way that has them getting better PR than they've had in many years.

But sure, her public speaking is still a bit unsteady, so she's probably just lazy.
Totally agree.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:12 PM
Courtier

What a dreadful tragedy that William foolishly did not marry an actress who could memorize lines and emote on cue so that we gawkers would have less to complain about.
IME none of the Royal Family are good at public speaking - and they don't need to be IMO.
She is destined to be the Queen consort and as such her role is to support her husband, and least anyone discount the importance of choosing the right sort of person for that role I suggest you compare Charles during his first marriage to Charles during his second marriage. That she is not a polished speech maker like successful politicians or trial lawyers or actors or cons is a small price to pay for the stability, happiness and security she gives to William.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Very interesting conversations on this thread.

I just wanted to point out, despite being prepared and well practiced, it still takes time to get the hang of delivering public speeches. I don't think anyone is giving Catherine a pass or going too light on her. I just think some of us are just being realistic and not applying pressure on her, who's not in an easy job.

The Duchess of Cambridge has improved on the public stage and that I think is a real achievement. I'm personally enjoying watching her grow in her royal role, wife and mother. Do I prefer for her and William to become fulltime royals? The answer is -Yes- because I think the younger royals should be doing more for the "Firm" but I'm watching patiently on what the royal couple will do in the coming months and years. I'm not going to throw all my frustration on the royal couple and make it seem like their efforts and duties don't mount to much. That would be very much unfair to them, IMO.

Now my attention is on The Duchess of Cambridge's official engagement tomorrow (Valentine's Day).

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, after finally finding and watching her "speech", it was really just a welcome, I would say that really she could have memorized it. There were far too many looking at notes.
She has a beautiful voice and presence, she needs to put in some time.
Many of the BRF are very good public speakers, that does not preclude them from having a stable family life, the two are not linked.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting that Kate is the only one that's chastised for looking down at her notes. I just watched a speech given by the Queen and she looks down at her notes a lot. The Queen's speech was only a minute or so long, but she spent a considerable amount of time just reading straight from the notes and not looking up at all. I'm not sure about other members of the BRF, but I know William and Harry rely on notes too.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Have you seen the remarks? It is one minute in.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yep. I saw the speech earlier.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:23 AM
Courtier

Expecting Catherine to train to be a royal while she was just a girlfriend is a bunch of BS. I wonder if Chelsy or any of Fred ex-girlfriend train for that job they never got
Old 02-14-2014, 01:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I don't know what it tells about people and what they should remember, but it's unproductive to turn around and point fingers at commenters who have the right to voice their opinions in a reasonable and constructive manner. That's something to remember, though.
I really do wonder how many of the posters who take umbrage at any criticism directed towards Kate can say that they have never, ever criticized or spoken negatively of anyone, at anytime.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Serene Highness

Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Considering the first speech was apparently cringeworthy, the fact she has improved is not much of an achievement.
She's given other speeches before this one that were fine. This is what I consider To be unreasonable about some of the criticism in this thread--a misstep is treated as complete failure on Kate's part for the past 3 years. Let's face it--one misstep, a quote out of context, an ugly dress--any and maybe all of these things are going to happen throughout her career. The Queen understands this, William and the other royals probably get it, too, which is why the Firm has apparently decided to ease Catherine into duties.

Why create drama where there is none? And, in my opinion, a less-than-perfect speech (out of a handful that she's given so far) is not a catastrophe worthy of treating her like she hasn't been doing anything.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
She's given other speeches before this one that were fine. This is what I consider To be unreasonable about some of the criticism in this thread--a misstep is treated as complete failure on Kate's part for the past 3 years. Let's face it--one misstep, a quote out of context, an ugly dress--any and maybe all of these things are going to happen throughout her career. The Queen understands this, William and the other royals probably get it, too, which is why the Firm has apparently decided to ease Catherine into duties.

Why create drama where there is none? And, in my opinion, a less-than-perfect speech (out of a handful that she's given so far) is not a catastrophe worthy of treating her like she hasn't been doing anything.
IMO the Queen and DoE realized after the Diana and Sarah years the the newcomers needed time to adjust to their new roles. Allowing Sophie, Camilla, and Kate the opportunity to transition from one life to another that would be filled with constant scrutiny is a wise decsion on the part of the senior royals.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Courtier

A few points -

First, as someone with more than one university degree, I can say, quite categorically, that expertise in public speaking has no part in any strictly academic syllabus, the only aim of which is to encourage learning and promote research, not turn students into a Demosthenes or a Cicero.

Second, I, for one, certainly do not 'take umbrage' at any criticisms of Catherine and have indeed criticised others. However, the difference here is that it's always been someone I've known or when there was conclusive proof that illegal or incompetent behaviour was involved. Lack of fluency in a public forum or a 'faulty' hair style does not meet any criterion, in my view.

Third, The Palace has made considerable effort to train and educate the Duchess and it's pleased with her progress. She was placed in a 'safe pair of hands', Sir David Manning, to advise and inform her on matters of state and foreign affairs. Sir David is seen to be playing a similar role to that of Gen.Sir Frederick Browning, a decorated soldier who fought in both World Wars, who acted as an adviser to Princess Elizabeth in the 1940s. Please note even a princess raised as a royal from birth and who was the heir for most of her young life needed a mentor and guidance. We know, too, that Her Majesty was a nervous public speaker and this when she was addressing her people via the radio - no tv cameras, flashbulbs and phone cameras in those days.

Of course it's not nasty to say 'use the time to learn', but it's ill-informed. The Duchess is being educated to understand the geo-political ramifications of the world that she is now a prominent part of as she will be expected to represent much on the entire Commonwealth's behalf as she becomes increasingly au fait with current political and historical expectations. With so much on her plate already, the art of public speaking may well be relegated to the back burner, with some believing that this will improve with practice and as her confidence grows.

In sum: it's one thing to say you don't like her dress, her hair, her smile, and quite another to accuse her of some sort of character-flaw such as laziness (showing no signs of 'learning anything') or to suggest a general dilatory existence in which she's willing to revel in the trappings but gives nothing in return.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Excellent post - I agree 100%. Thank you

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Commoner

I agree 100 percent.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you, Polly, you summed up my thoughts on this beautifully.

A negative opinion like "I don't like that dress" or "I wish she'd wear her hair differently" is perfectly ok to say, what's been strange about the criticisms in this thread is that they've implied her whole life is a waste, that she's lazy, spoiled, unprofessional... all with no evidence. If you're going to imply someone's whole character is flawed, you should be able to substantially back up those opinions.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:04 AM
Courtier

Time for a new hair style, Kate? Critics say Duchess of Cambridge's hair is too long and lank | Mail Online
Old 02-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
yes, the speech wasn't the best. her intonation is monotone, she refers to her notes almost all the time, and looks at only one section of her audience by turning her head always to the same people.
Did you ever see the Queen (the danish Queen also comes to my mind), on the throne for over 60 years and even before her accession used to give speeches, not referring to her notes?!
If Catherine would like to read her entire speech from the script she could do so if it pleases her! Many do so, even heads of state, republican or royal, and nobody cares! So, what´s the real problem here?!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

I love the beehive hairstyle for formal events (with a few tweaks to accommodate a tiara ) and the casual ponytail for those daytime engagements when the wind is not your friend and Kate needs to keep her hair out of her face. If she ever does get adventurous and cuts her hair, the sleek bob would look lovely on her but I think the tousled style touching her shoulders would be the best look.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:24 AM
Gentry

her speeches are fine . I started to cry whenever I had to read my homework aloud in class (even during my last year of highschool ) and managed to go through college with only one oral presentation (which I of course botched ). I can't talk in public .

Closed Thread