The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 AM
Majesty

yes, the speech wasn't the best. her intonation is monotone, she refers to her notes almost all the time, and looks at only one section of her audience by turning her head always to the same people. it wasn't even a particularly long speech. maybe she was complacent and thought since it wasn't long it didn't require much preparation?

otherwise, i think she interacts very well with the people, which is always an asset. and big brownie points for taking HM's diamond neckless out of the vaults!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 02-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Serene Highness

Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
...This is really pathetic. Kate knew what she was getting into marrying William...
It was a short shout out-they probably asked her to say a few words.

Secondly, this sounds really crude but she is supposed to have children. It's part of the continuing the royal line.

Who's saying she's not trying hard? Tripping up on a few words does not equal not trying hard

Old 02-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Unpleasant.. laughable .... envious...trolling... all appear to be personal attacks on other posts. Is this permitted?

If you have a counterpoint, make it. People are entitled to negative viewpoints. I don't see those who make such viewpoints call the positive posters names and make personal attacks.

We are all entitled to an opinion.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Exactly, and some of us believe that personal attacks have ramped up and are unecessary. That is our opinion and we are entitled to it.
Criticism is healthy but personal attacks are not.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Royal Highness

I was reminded of something a teacher said to me years ago... we criticize others when we:

A. Feel bad about ourselves or do not like our lives so we project that onto others.
B. We are jealous or envious of what others have.

Something tells me all of us have stunning hair, facial skin, figures, clothes, jewels, and we all give PERFECT speeches all the time. ;-)

I have a feeling none of us on here could do the job she does and have to put up with all the crap she gets from the press to ordinary people like us to the aristocracy looking down on her and her family.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Commoner

As the director of training for a Fortune 500 company, I'm what you might call a professional public speaker. I'm lucky that it's always come easily (though I've certainly worked to improve) and is my comfort zone. I have many tremendously smart, kind and caring coworkers who are practically geniuses in their field, but they are just not comfortable with public speaking. We all have different strengths.

I've worked with VPs who have practiced and been coached for years, yet they are still obviously uncomfortable in front of a group. And rather than cutting them down, I applaud them every time they make the effort.

I have no idea whether public speaking makes Kate uncomfortable. Nor do I know what kind of coaching she's had. I just thought I'd provide a different perspective from someone in the field.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

I choose to focus on what's really important and that was the purpose of the event. Her Royal Highness's speech was just fine but for the little stumble at the end.

As I said before, giving public speeches isn't easy and it takes time to get the hang of it. Even the most practiced and experienced public speakers have troubles at times. Just yesterday, The President of the United States gave a speech on raising the minimal wage for federal workers and tripped up on some of his words. It happens but it's not the end of the world and it doesn't mean you're not trying your best at the job. Catherine handled the situation very gracefully and the people at the event loved it and applauded her speech. Also, most members of the royal family use notes. You can't get Her Majesty The Queen to say anything without her notes on official engagements.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm a terrible public speaker, and that's with classes and work on it. I can't even imagine it on a stage as big as the one she has.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephpaige View Post
As the director of training for a Fortune 500 company...
Good post. It made me remember a recent speech that director Michael Bay gave. He was at a conference and his teleprompter failed. He fumbled around for a bit before he just walked off the stage. He didn't even finish his speech. So here's a perfect example of someone that's been in the public eye for years and is still not comfortable giving speeches.

Some people take to public speaking immediately and for others it's work. Obviously it doesn't come easy for Kate, but I think she has improved since her very first speech.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

I think it is worth remembering that Catherine is not married to THE heir to the throne and so does not presently require or indeed have the resources that the wife of the heir to the throne might need when carrying out public engagements. All the big-gun jewels, clothing allowance, advisors, stylists, PR folk etc are simply not required for her at the moment. They might be available from time to time, but it is not yet required.
Consequently, I cannot really fault her for how she has done so far and how she has conducted herself. Granted, she borrowed a giant necklace to wear the other evening, but she is not flashy with her jewels and so showing it off by having her hair up is not her thing. The few words she gave on the same evening didn't need to be profound or sophisticated - she wasn't addressing the United Nations!
Old 02-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Some people never really do well at public speaking no matter how much experience or coaching.
Some never are able to pose well, be familiar with the camera and make sure they are using their best angles.
Also, some people have a very difficult time meeting new people and making conversation.
Kate seems to be naturally gifted in some of the areas of her new job. She seems to be serious and a hard worker and has improved in the other areas where it doesn't come easily. What more can you ask?
If you are not born into the role like Ps Anne or Ps Victoria, or have acting/modeling experience like Ps Grace or acting/tv experience like Letitzia, there is a learning curve.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
...I am sure as Catherine's confidence increases, so will the quality of the delivery.
Thank you. I also agree that Kate has improved since her first public speech and believe that she will continue to gain confidence. I wish that when the media covers Kate and her other young royal peers that the first paragraph would be devoted to the cause they are championing and not their wardrobe and accessories. Foundations seek the patronage of the royals because they do bring a high profile public awareness to their causes. If Kate's or any other royal's presence brings the desired results of raising awareness or increasing donations, then I would hope that this would be the focus of our attention.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Courtier

Well, well - let's not fall out over the Duchess' appearance and performance. There's really no need: to those who matter most, she's a winner!

It's been said, frequently, that The Palace is absolutely delighted with her. Personally, she's popular with the entire Family who admires her efforts, her intelligence, her pleasing personality and her obvious attachment to her own family and family life in general. On the occasion of the marriage, Prince Charles said that they were 'lucky to have her' and I agree with him. I also think that Catherine is lucky to have such a protective and determined husband who will obviously stand for no nonsense where his wife is concerned.

She's actually doing much better than Diana did: I clearly remember what a duffer Diana was in speaking publicly for many years until she undertook professional training some time down the track, and then only when she felt herself under threat, and to better articulate her own cause.

As for 'doing her duty' - the Duchess has! She's met her no.1 obligation and produced a healthy heir!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I think it is worth remembering that Catherine is not married to THE heir to the throne and so does not presently require or indeed have the resources that the wife of the heir to the throne might need when carrying out public engagements. All the big-gun jewels, clothing allowance, advisors, stylists, PR folk etc are simply not required for her at the moment. They might be available from time to time, but it is not yet required.
But she's only a heartbeat away from being the wife of THE heir.

As for resources, her husband is an extremely wealthy man. If "the firm" is not prepared to foot the bill for a few public speaking lessons, surely her husband can afford it. It would probably be tax deductible, too. Far more productive to be spending six hours having useful lessons of this sort than sitting in the hairdresser's chair.

As for being comfortable making speeches, I am well aware that some people find it extremely difficult, but when you take on a job that requires making lots of speeches of this sort, if it doesn't come easily you take lessons if you need them. Further, the sort of speeches someone in her shoes is required to make are usually not very pithy.

This one was an extremely short and very basic speech, and she was making it about a subject about which, bearing in mind her degree (some say it's a Master's degree) in Art History, it is not unreasonable to expect that she might have some passion, but she still couldn't manage it and I didn't see a hint of passion. All she had to do was welcome them, say what the Gallery does is worthy stuff, say she's proud to be patron, and that she hoped they had an enjoyable evening. If she can't handle that three years into this job, she needs to engage a teacher. Perhaps William will see this video and engage one himself.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

It simply takes time to get the hang of public speaking but Catherine has improved and her current speeches are way better than her first at EACH. I think she's had some sort of lesson already. There are more speeches to come and over time they will get better. I think everyone have to show some patients and understanding.

Her Royal Highness most likely will be making some speeches on her upcoming tour of Australia and New Zealand.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Duchess Kate Blog ‏@HRHDuchesskate 2h
Tomorrow, The Duchess of Cambridge, as Patron, will officially open The ICAP Art Room at Northolt High School, Ealing, London #royal
I hope she remembers to keep her mouth shut in front of the photogs - because, you know she should know better. Never open your mouth until you pass them. Must remember, must remember.
And then when she speaks I hope she does not embarrass herself, yet again. Maybe, keep it to "yes, thank you," "I agree," "How lovely," "Art is important to our souls," and "Lupo is fine, thank you." The poor thing is obviously incapable of anything else. I hope attendees have been prepped to NOT correct her many errors.
That noise you may hear is the steady drip, drip, drip of sticky sarcasm, BTW.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

She's allowed to mention the dog?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Gentry

The fact is that The Duchess of Cambridge has done more for the organization with her "poor" speech and her "terrible" posture than any us would be capable of.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
She's allowed to mention the dog?
I suppose, as long as Lupo allows it, yes! But only veiled references to the corgies.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Aristocracy

Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
...If she can't handle that three years into this job, she needs to engage a teacher. Perhaps William will see this video and engage one himself.
I agree, it would have seemed to me that during this period of slowly introducing Kate into her role she would be learning in her down time. They were married almost 2 years before George she didn't 'work' wouldn't this have been a good use of her time.

Closed Thread