The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I thought her short speech went pretty well. Although she stumbled on her words in the end but handled it with grace and a smile. It was good to see her kicking off her official engagements for 2014.

I'd like to hear about some joint engagements coming up.
Re your last point - if the PoW and DoCornwall are anything to go by, that probably won't happen. So far this year these 2 have done c. 65 engagements of which only 6-7 were together. All of the Wessexes engagements have been solo as well.

I think that the BRF are making existing resources spread further by doing more solo engagements.

The exception will be important overseas trips to the likes of Australia NZ and Canada.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Public speaking isn't easy...
I agree with your comments regarding her speech. She has improved since her first ones. As you pointed out, not everyone finds this to be easy. I've noticed that Prince Edward is good at giving them, but likely his theater background in college and as a career has helped him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
No comments on the speech, or how she interacts with the other guests which are important elements to this engagement. She appears to do these aspects of her role very well. As this isn't the fashion thread, should we perhaps be a little more balanced in our comments about this current event?
Dman posted a link to a video from last night's engagement in post #97.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I think we will see W&K together on march 17 for the Irish Guards St Patty's Day event. Royal women are the traditional givers of the shamrocks. Plus Kate missed the medal ceremony to go to the hospice in December.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I think we will see W&K together on march 17 for the Irish Guards St Patty's Day event. Royal women are the traditional givers of the shamrocks. Plus Kate missed the medal ceremony to go to the hospice in December.
I was thinking that she'd do this without him! He should have his head down studying at Cambridge.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Public speaking isn't easy...
Agree. I thought her speech was fine. This is only her 5th or 6th one (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so I don't blame her for still being a bit of nervous. I know when I have to speak in public, I'm always frazzled no matter how often I practice.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
Being a Royal does not allow you staying in the Comfort Zone.

This only works if you are trying to please the majority of people, but that is nearly impossible.

Secondly, the hair "rules" you posted are pretty outdated. There are lots of people that wear hair up for day and down for night depending on the event and their mood.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Courtier

All this talk about Kate's long hair brought back memories of myself and my husband at that age. I HATED long hair, he loved it. I wore it long. Golly gee.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I was thinking that she'd do this without him! He should have his head down studying at Cambridge.
He might be done by then. It is suppose to wrap up mid March
Old 02-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
He might be done by then. It is suppose to wrap up mid March
it's possible because a joint engagement would be good

Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Serene Highness

Lady M:Let us all stop, pause, and think for a moment... While we have many royal families all over the world, no matter what happens, the British one gets the most press attention......

A very insightful comment and Thank You!

I personally could not do this job for all the money in the world....I love my freedom way to much. I do give her credit for being out there and knowing how everyone is looking, including me. Glad she has a hubby that is very protective of her.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Courtier

It could simply be that she like her long hair and William doesn't care. She wore it long before she meet him too. Her hair was longer her first year of college than it is now
Old 02-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I'll comment on her speech. It was very amateurish. Very basic and brief, and poorly delivered such that it appeared she was not familiar with it. She should have read it out so many times that she could recite it without referring to her notes more than a few times. Yet she paused in the wrong places and had to refer to her notes far too often. And the blunder at the end was sad, not cute. Whatever she has been doing for the last three years since the wedding, she hasn't been having public speaking lessons.
Public speaking is difficult for some people, especially when the worlds media is watching you. Her referring to the speech does not necessarily mean she didn't read. I am a terrible public speaker even in small groups. When I do project presentations, I know the whole presentation but then I start mixing things up and refer to my notes a lot. It might be the same thing with her and she might take a while before she gets to Letizia's level (I love Letizia's speeches even though a can not understand a word of what she says. Her job as a newsreader makes her an amazing speech giving, the best of all the Princesses)
Old 02-13-2014, 02:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I'll comment on her speech. It was very amateurish. Very basic and brief, and poorly delivered such that it appeared she was not familiar with it. She should have read it out so many times that she could recite it without referring to her notes more than a few times. Yet she paused in the wrong places and had to refer to her notes far too often. And the blunder at the end was sad, not cute. Whatever she has been doing for the last three years since the wedding, she hasn't been having public speaking lessons.
I agree with everything you said. The speech was very underwhelming. You would expect better from somebody whose job description includes speaking in public. It looked difficult for Kate to string a few bla bla sentences together without pausing or looking at notes what shouldnt be the case in her position, while she has all the time in the world to practise for such events / access to best trainers. One would think why.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I agree with everything you said. The speech was very underwhelming. You would expect better from somebody whose job description includes speaking in public. It looked difficult for Kate to string a few bla bla sentences together without pausing or looking at notes what shouldnt be the case in her position, while she has all the time in the world to practise for such events / access to best trainers. One would think why.

WOW!!! I just looked at the footage of this, what did you call it, a speech?! I would call it a shout-out.

This is really pathetic. Kate knew what she was getting into marrying William. She knew she would be expected to carry out public engagements, support her husband and provide support to George when he learns the ropes.

Well to be frank there is no excuse, don't tell me about having a baby, or being over critical of her and-she-is-new-to-this.

Do Your Job!

This is not the Wills & Kate show they are not the whole royal family, step up. She has people there to reach her the ropes there is no excuse. I am sure she is a nice person, not questioning that, but take your role seriously show your husband you support him and... Aargh! When you become a mother for the first time you are clueless, you ask advice of doctors, nurses, parents, friends, read books, educate yourself. No one expects you to have all the answers, but you try hard because this is what you have chosen to do. Babies and royalty - apples & oranges, but she had a choice.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:13 AM
Courtier

The Duchess of Cambridge bashing thread this should be renamed. All the pleasant members are gone.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
The Duchess of Cambridge bashing thread this should be renamed. All the pleasant members are gone.
Big thank you - I thought it was just me.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I totally agree with you! The hair, the speech - what┤s next?
I saw the duchess yesterday on my telly and I can only say her hair looked gorgeous, the envy (may be that┤s the reason for bashing?!) of every woman. It looked thick, glossy and gave the impression as if a celebrity hairstylist put his hands at least 2 hours on it!
I admit that she could put her hair up from time to time, but she seems to be very proud of her hair - and looking at it I understand why...!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I totally agree with you! The hair, the speech - what┤s next?
I saw the duchess yesterday on my telly and I can only say her hair looked gorgeous, the envy (may be that┤s the reason for bashing?!) of every woman. It looked thick, glossy and gave the impression as if a celebrity hairstylist put his hands at least 2 hours on it!
I admit that she could put her hair up from time to time, but she seems to be very proud of her hair - and looking at it I understand why...!
I agree. The sheer level of negativity and puerile commentary is shocking. If you watch the video, you realise the carping about posture is completely uncalled for. From the thousands of pictures taken of Catherine from all the angles taken in the few seconds it took her to exit the car and enter the building, there are bound to be some that are not "perfect" - clearly from some angles the posture will not be perfect, and she may appear with her mouth open as she greets her host.

Why can we not focus on how she conducted herself at the NPG, her level of engagement with other attendees, the work she does with her charities and the value she delivers to them, if for no other reason, purely the focus she may bring to them?

Yes, she is not as accomplished a public speaker as the Prince of Wales who largely speaks extempore, but she certainly has come a long way from her first speech for EACH about 2 years ago. Even Camilla, after nearly 9 years in her public role, tends to speak from notes. I am sure as Catherine's confidence increases, so will the quality of the delivery.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I had the same thought. I mean, you don't have to love everything about everyone, but this thread feels unrelentingly hostile right now- and also weirdly personal?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Heir Apparent

aggressively personal. And there is no need for it.

I've just commented on Maxima's latest fashion foray and I don't think it works, and I've said so but I've not been rude or personal but hopefully constructive.

What happened to some understanding and balanced judgement on this thread?

EDIT: As for what is happening on the DoC fashion thread - it's just as bad, just as personal

Closed Thread