The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 09:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

It is a good news if she is better. When is the birth due? What month?

Old 10-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
It is a good news if she is better. When is the birth due? What month?
No official announcements on the topic so far.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you Muriel.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 1h 1 hour ago

Kate had to pull out of visit to Sir Ben Ainslie's HQ in Portsmouth today because she is still suffering acute morning sickness (HG)
Old 10-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 1h 1 hour ago

Kate had to pull out of visit to Sir Ben Ainslie's HQ in Portsmouth today because she is still suffering acute morning sickness (HG)
She does seem to really be suffering, hope she is better soon.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, we already knew she pulled out of today's engagement since last week. Hopefully she's getting better now.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Aristocracy

The poor girl, this is lasting a long time.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Courtier

Why must the media continually misname her illness. Equating hyperemesis gravidarum to acute morning sickness, is like equating Crohn's Disease to a pesky case of diarrhea. Ignorant and Insensitive
Old 10-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Why must the media continually misname her illness. Equating hyperemesis gravidarum to acute morning sickness, is like equating Crohn's Disease to a pesky case of diarrhea. Ignorant and Insensitive
Well said. Another great analogy I recently read was that calling HG 'morning sickness' is like referring to pneumonia as a cold. It completely undermines the gravity of the illness. If nothing else, Kate suffering this horrible condition is shining a huge spotlight on it and creating a public discussion. With any luck, it'll lead to a better overall understanding of it. Perhaps after this pregnancy, Kate might want to dedicate some of her time and role to championing causes which affect pregnant women. I think she would make a fantastic advocate!
Old 10-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I do not think it is necessarily a case of misnaming the illness, it is a case of describing the illness adequately enough without having to use the latin name. Unless one has had the misfortune of suffering from the illness or is familiar with Latin, the name will simply mean nothing.
Imagine the Queen cancelling an engagement on account of having nasopharyngitis, rhinopharyngitis or acute coryza - few people would realise she was suffering from a common cold.
My question is, is there another name that can be used for hyperermesis gravidarum or a way to describe it adequately enough?
Old 10-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
Well said. Another great analogy I recently read was that calling HG 'morning sickness' is like referring to pneumonia as a cold. It completely undermines the gravity of the illness. If nothing else, Kate suffering this horrible condition is shining a huge spotlight on it and creating a public discussion. With any luck, it'll lead to a better overall understanding of it. Perhaps after this pregnancy, Kate might want to dedicate some of her time and role to championing causes which affect pregnant women. I think she would make a fantastic advocate!
What better choice of a spokeswoman for this issue than one that has already been there, done that and embraced the porcelain goddess twice so far.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree and would add that morning sickness is a lousy name for the mild version - as people experience it at odd times of day as well as in the morning. The conditions need a complete PR makeover!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
I think it would be great if she went on to champion causes that deal with illnesses expectant mothers go through. I think it depends on how comfortable she is talking about it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It does sound as if Catherine has a rather serious case of HG as she has been pulling out of a number of royal engagements (the Malta tour and a couple more engagements after that, IIRC). I hope she gets well soon as what she is going through at the moment can't be that fun at all.

I do think she (and William, for that matter) should be seen working more, but as she is rather ill at the moment I will cut her some slack. I'm looking forward into her next public appearance.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think it would be great if she went on to champion causes that deal with illnesses expectant mothers go through. I think it depends on how comfortable she is talking about it.
Absolutely. If she never wanted to revisit it again, I wouldn't blame her. If she was comfortable with it though, she could do a world of good! :)
Old 10-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it would be great for her to take up the HG cause... After all it would be something that she has really experienced...Sadly I think she will not
Old 10-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Courtier

In between her hourly vomits and constant retching, I'm sure she expresses gratitude that you are willing to cut her some slack...at the moment.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Serene Highness

What miss whirley said.
I imagine Catherine would much prefer schmoozing with Ben Ainslie and toasting the president of Singapore to suffering with an illness that sometimes kills babies (and their mothers). And why shouldn't the press call HG what it is rather than morning sickness? Almost everyone has access to a computer or a library or a knowledgable friend if they don't know what it is.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
It does sound as if Catherine has a rather serious case of HG as she has been pulling out of a number of royal engagements (the Malta tour and a couple more engagements after that, IIRC). I hope she gets well soon as what she is going through at the moment can't be that fun at all.

I do think she (and William, for that matter) should be seen working more, but as she is rather ill at the moment I will cut her some slack. I'm looking forward into her next public appearance.
Hoping that as she moves into her second trimester that she'll finally have some relief.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I think it would be great for her to take up the HG cause... After all it would be something that she has really experienced...Sadly I think she will not
Does one of the other royal ladies already cover pre-natal conditions or maternity care? HG is not that common. If they do could this be seen as "poaching" from one of their causes?

Closed Thread