The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow...I am amazed this is the first we're hearing this about her Grandmother. Can't wait for all the coverage tomorrow. This has the potential to be something very special. :)

Old 06-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^ Nice to see that Kate has an engagement that has a personal connection for her. How wonderful for her to be visiting this place where her grandmother assisted in this vitally important work. I have no doubt her grandparents would be very proud that their granddaughter is the wife of the Queen's grandson and mother of a future king.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:17 PM
Heir Apparent

That's pretty cool information. The press has talked about Mike's dad and Carole's mom before but there hasn't been much about her other grandparents Valerie and Ronald.

I'm surprise Claudia Joseph didn't find this out when she was doing her book on Kate and her family background.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
That's pretty cool information. The press has talked about Mike's dad and Carole's mom before but there hasn't been much about her other grandparents Valerie and Ronald.

I'm surprise Claudia Joseph didn't find this out when she was doing her book on Kate and her family background.

That's why I'm so surprised by this. As you said, we've all heard about her Grandfather Peter's service and rightfully so!! Not sure how well known it is, but the Mosquito aircraft's airframe was completely made of wood, which made it incredibly fast and why they were sent up to try and tip the wings of the V1 and V2 flying bombs. Because they were able to keep up w/the things and it can never be said enough IMO...Kate's Grandfather Peter and the other Allied Airmen assigned that Mission were truly some of the bravest men in the respective Air Corps.

Sorry for the tangent, but once I got going, the WWII nerd/geek in me took over... . Anyway...

W/all that's been dug into Kate and her Family, you would have thought having a Grandmother who was part of Bletchley Park would have come up long before now!! What a Family legacy to be proud of and as I said, tomorrow has the potential to be something special. :)
Old 06-18-2014, 04:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
PART:

W/all that's been dug into Kate and her Family, you would have thought having a Grandmother who was part of Bletchley Park would have come up long before now!! What a Family legacy to be proud of and as I said, tomorrow has the potential to be something special. :)
Actually, not that much has come out because the media just picked out the "juicy" bits - Carole's "working class" background (bad); dodgy brother (worse); some distant relative that was a Knight (just to emphasise the different backgrounds) and g/father Peter who once flew Prince Philip and fought in the war.

It's really superficial and it also shows that authors writing unauthorised biographys dont learn much (apart from gossip)

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-18-2014, 04:56 AM
Heir Apparent

That work was certainly something to be proud of and it's very disappointing that the media picked out the bits of family history that didn't cast the family in a favourable light. They have concentrated on Carole's family because it could be mined for the "juicy" stuff, whereas Michael's family has been largely ignored. Her background has been given a very shallow treatment so far.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Claudia Joseph's book is pretty good for background information on Kate's family. It's not Daily Mail like at all. It covered the backgrounds of the families of all 4 grandparents. Kate's grandmother would have had to keep her Bletchly Park work a secret for 30 yrs after the war per the law as I learned from watching The Bletchly Circle so she probably didn't talk much about it and isn't something you could find thru public records or old newspapers.

Kate probably had to tell her staff and the staff told Bletchly to find more information out. Interesting fact about Kate's grandma's twin sister- she married Peter Middleton's brother.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Claudia Joseph's book is pretty good for background information on Kate's family. It's not Daily Mail like at all. It covered the backgrounds of the families of all 4 grandparents. Kate's grandmother would have had to keep her Bletchly Park work a secret for 30 yrs after the war per the law as I learned from watching The Bletchly Circle so she probably didn't talk much about it and isn't something you could find thru public records or old newspapers.

Kate probably had to tell her staff and the staff told Bletchly to find more information out. Interesting fact about Kate's grandma's twin sister- she married Peter Middleton's brother.
Where did you read that?

Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Page 108 of Claudia Joseph's book Kate Kate Middleton: Princess in Waiting.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:49 AM
Heir Apparent

interesting. Does she have this picture? Wedding of Valerie and Peter with twin sister Mary as bridesmaid and brother Christopher as bestman.

From Sky news

Kate To Explore Family's Codebreaking Past

Old 06-18-2014, 07:56 AM
Heir Apparent

No, the book only has 1 page of old photos most are William and Kate. Mary didn't marry Christopher but another brother Anthony after Peter and Valerie's wedding. It wasn't a double wedding.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Raalised it wasnt a double wedding but its a nice picture. ITs strange how sometimes likenesses seem go across each side of the family. There is a look of Carole in Mary Glassborow.

I apparently look like both my mother's sister and my father's sister!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
The Duchess of Cambridge tried her hand at being a codebreaker at the famous Bletchley Park - where her grandmother worked. Kate put on a pair of headphones and tried to intercept and decode radio messages sent from the enemy as she toured the Park. The Duchess arrived at the site near Milton Keynes to learn about how an £8 million Heritage Lottery Fund restoration project has returned the buildings to their Second World War appearance and created new visitor facilities-
Home - ITNSource News

Clarence House @ClarenceHouse 2h
Valerie Middleton, the paternal grandmother of The Duchess of Cambridge, who worked @bletchleypark during #WWIIpic.twitter.com/mBVY1BDW2s

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

All of the information about her grandmother is so interesting. It's a shame that the media decided to ignore this part of Kate's family tree.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
All of the information about her grandmother is so interesting. It's a shame that the media decided to ignore this part of Kate's family tree.
I think they would have been eager to tell this story, but they didn't have it. The identities of those who worked there were protected for many years, and a good many of those people probably died without telling their families. Catherine certainly looks like her grandmother.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

No I get that the didn't have info about where her grandmother worked, but they barely even touched on Michael's side of the family. I mean, I didn't know his mom was a twin and her sister married another Middleton brother. The media completely ignored his side of the family, in favor of the scandal and gossip - Uncle Gary, Carole's mom and some distant cousin.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

The media was pretty much interested in the juicy side of Catherine's family.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: January 2014

There has been little nuggets about the Middletons-Peter's RAF service, flying with Prince Philip on a royal tour in the sixties, Kate ran into a cousin and Cambridge University when W&K were visiting in 2012.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Videos:
The Duchess of Cambridge has heard stories about her grandmother's wartime role at the famous Bletchley Park - home of the code-breakers. Lady Marion Body, friend of Kate's grandmother Valerie Glassborow, described how as young women they worked together directing the efforts of listening stations. She confessed that their job was "tedious" but said they were young women who still managed to have fun-
Home - ITNSource News

'It's so moving to meet you... Granny was very quiet'-
'It's so moving to meet you... Granny was very quiet' - ITV News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-18-2014, 03:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
^^^ Nice to see that Kate has an engagement that has a personal connection for her. How wonderful for her to be visiting this place where her grandmother assisted in this vitally important work. I have no doubt her grandparents would be very proud that their granddaughter is the wife of the Queen's grandson and mother of a future king.
I agree. I admit that I know little about the history of the place, but it is wonderful now that the site and its history can be revealed to the public.

Closed Thread