The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 3: January-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pictures from today while leaving Kensington Palace

Please do not repost without my permission

Thank you for sharing your pictures. You're lucky to have gotten a glimpse.

Love, love, love, all the photos of Kate with little ones!:wub:
And an unplanned stop at the hospice- that gets a big A+ in my book- though I am not surprised in the least- Catherine has a very compassionate heart. I can only imagine the good her magic touch did for the people she met......

Agree, as always. Pictures of Catherine with children simply warm my heart. She's so genuine, and caring, and I'm getting the impression that it's not at all feigned. Love that she stopped at the hospice. No doubt her visit gave plenty of people something to smile about.

Thank you everyone for posting the helicopter pictures and all the travel information and details. It is all so interesting.
Her hair certainly struck me as grey at the roots, I'll have to ask the expert, my hairdresser, what she makes of it.
In any case, she looks very well, and handles all of the people who were so obviously dying to meet her, well, and makes them feel at ease.

Duchess Kate Blog@HRHDuchesskate
Kate was spotted in Peter Jones today looking at pieces from maternity brand Seraphine including their 'Brooke' dress in purple.

The well-wishers were kept waiting for 70 minutes longer than expected because the Duchess had opted to fly to Grimsby by helicopter rather than taking the train, and thick fog prevented her leaving London on time.
St James’s Palace defended the decision to use the Royal Flight’s helicopter, at a cost of up to £4,000, rather than buying train tickets for £216 return, which would have enabled the Duchess to arrive in good time for her first engagement of the day.
A palace spokesman said: “A number of factors are always taken into account when considering royal travel arrangements, including what the member of the Royal family is doing before and after the engagements, and it was decided that the best way to travel was by the Royal Flight helicopter.”

Duchess's slip of the tongue may have given away baby's sex - Telegraph

Thanks Tommy, that is interesting information. I wonder if any research is done after each individual royal visit to gage its success from the point of view of the charity? It would be worth while I think. Public cost vs effectiveness for the charity.

Thanks Tommy, that is interesting information. I wonder if any research is done after each individual royal visit to gage its success from the point of view of the charity? It would be worth while I think. Public cost vs effectiveness for the charity.

What charity - not all royal visits are to charities or patronages. She officially opened a school at one of the 3 events.

over 1000 people attended across the 3 events - thats about £4 per person cost if you need a measure, but really!.

The use of the helicopter is authorised by HMQ

7 hours round journey travelling time London to Grimsby by public transport.

Risk of delay regardless of mode of transport.

It all comes out of the budget allocated. As long as the budget doesnt overspend what is the problem? And Grimsby has a really tough time with unemployment - particularly youth unemployment. The visit appeared to have a good public response.

You cant measure it!

What charity - not all royal visits are to charities or patronages. She officially opened a school at one of the 3 events.

over 1000 people attended across the 3 events - thats about £4 per person cost if you need a measure, but really!.

The use of the helicopter is authorised by HMQ

7 hours round journey travelling time London to Grimsby by public transport.

Risk of delay regardless of mode of transport.

It all comes out of the budget allocated. As long as the budget doesnt overspend what is the problem? And Grimsby has a really tough time with unemployment - particularly youth unemployment. The visit appeared to have a good public response.

You cant measure it!

I think AfricanAUSSIE is just asking about the impact of their visits on the charities, schools, etc. after the royals visit. Like do they monitor the success of their visits and see if they were successful or if the visit or opening or whatever helped in any way.

I know the press will sometimes report on it, but it's usually just about how she has helped the fashion industry. I think you'd have to dig deeper to find that info. I'm sure it's our there:).

There have been reports from some of the charities she's associated herself with, saying that donations have increased since her association with them. It would be surprising if contributions didn't increase, since Kate's link with them give them a larger presence in the media, if only for a time. And hopefully, some who may not have known of the charity or organization previously, become interested enough to continue to donate.

I believe Princess Anne was asked about this and she responded that it was very hard to measure and pretty much left up to the organizations they visited to determine the success/value of a royal visit.

Regarding Kate in helicopter vs. train - how would the other royals make such a trip? Helicopter, train, parachuting in? I frankly never gave a thought as to how they get anyplace, or I just always assumed they were able to just appear magically, like a character in Bewitched.

I suppose a lot of factors are taken into account regarding royal travel; cost, time, physical condition of the royal, other commitments pending, weather. If she weren't pregnant, my opinion is she should have taken a car with a driver. Although, she did fly back and forth to the Caribbean last month, and that was a lot longer. So there are points to be made on both side of the aisle here.

Does anyone know the usual mode of travel for the royals?

Didn't someone say that the driving time would be six or seven hours?

Regarding Kate in helicopter vs. train - how would the other royals make such a trip? Helicopter, train, parachuting in? I frankly never gave a thought as to how they get anyplace, or I just always assumed they were able to just appear magically, like a character in Bewitched.

I suppose a lot of factors are taken into account regarding royal travel; cost, time, physical condition of the royal, other commitments pending, weather. If she weren't pregnant, my opinion is she should have taken a car with a driver. Although, she did fly back and forth to the Caribbean last month, and that was a lot longer. So there are points to be made on both side of the aisle here.

Does anyone know the usual mode of travel for the royals?

First off, I think the Airmiles Andy gives us a clue somewhat. TBH, if HM approves of his methods of travel, who really has the right to complain.

Can't remember where on these forums it was but people were talking about the smoothness and such of the trains in the UK. With Kate being pregnant, the helicopter flight might not only have been faster, but a whole lot smoother for her. Just because the impact of the HG has passed, it doesn't mean she's still not experiencing nausea from time to time.

Didn't someone from Grimsby on twitter said the train service has been bad not reliable for the last few weeks. People who have to take a bus anyway?

And the fog would have delay her no matter what form of transportation she took

I think AfricanAUSSIE is just asking about the impact of their visits on the charities, schools, etc. after the royals visit. Like do they monitor the success of their visits and see if they were successful or if the visit or opening or whatever helped in any way.

I know the press will sometimes report on it, but it's usually just about how she has helped the fashion industry. I think you'd have to dig deeper to find that info. I'm sure it's our there:).

Thank you Anna, that is exactly what I was asking. :mountie:

Any money spent should be assessed to ensure it is spent wisely. I would have thought that was obvious and necessary where the RF are concerned. Dig as I might however, I cannot see any real figures on the success of the visits, particularly to charities. Contributions are up will not do as that could mean they raised a dollar more than the previous year!

First off, I think the Airmiles Andy gives us a clue somewhat. TBH, if HM approves of his methods of travel, who really has the right to complain.

Can't remember where on these forums it was but people were talking about the smoothness and such of the trains in the UK. With Kate being pregnant, the helicopter flight might not only have been faster, but a whole lot smoother for her. Just because the impact of the HG has passed, it doesn't mean she's still not experiencing nausea from time to time.

Helicopter rides are not smother compared to a car ride. If you suffer from nausea, it will actually make it worse, especially in a fog!!:p

Helicopter rides are not smother compared to a car ride. If you suffer from nausea, it will actually make it worse, especially in a fog!!:p

Thanks! Having never been in a helicopter, I guess I was just thinking it'd be smoother. At least it was trip that took less time though. :flowers:

You have just reminded me of a cross country flight I had to take about 15 years ago while I had a stomach bug! Shudder...... you have no idea how much movement is involved in air travel until you have done so.......:ermm:

As the Duchess has traveled across the Atlantic to Mustique and then onto Switzerland for a wedding and snow play, she is well over her morning sickness and I am glad she is! :flowers:

Thanks! Having never been in a helicopter, I guess I was just thinking it'd be smoother. At least it was trip that took less time though. :flowers:

It does indeed take less time, and the ride is soooo much fun!!! The larger helicopters are the best but do still mess with your head if you go for dives or unexpected moves. If you suffer from nausea, any of these flights would not be recommended (especially in the fog). She has been traveling quite a bit of late. I think she was fine to take it. Fun, fun, fun.:D

I have never heard that the funding for the royals is expected to give a "return on the investment" to the causes involved, although having royal patronage does help raise funds. It is all in the cost of having a head of state. I think this conversation belongs on another thread - no sure which one but it already has comments on the future meeting of a Parliamentary Committee - its probably under Elizabeth II and Prince Philip.

I have never heard that the funding for the royals is expected to give a "return on the investment" to the causes involved, although having royal patronage does help raise funds. It is all in the cost of having a head of state. I think this conversation belongs on another thread - no sure which one but it already has comments on the future meeting of a Parliamentary Committee - its probably under Elizabeth II and Prince Philip.

No? I'm confused. We are talking about how the royals, or in this case, Catherine's involvement impacts the patronages or charities she's involved with. Am I wrong?

Maybe it does belong in another thread. Someone will have to ask a moderator.

I might have got confused because of the included element of costs. Ignore me!

EDIT: But its for each charity/patronage to publish, that because the BRF do not.

I might have got confused because of the included element of costs. Ignore me!

EDIT: But its for each charity/patronage to publish, that because the BRF do not.

No problem. Yeah I figured the patronages would be the ones to publish, but not all do or maybe I would have to look at their website. Would it be there you think ?

To be honest, I dont think that they do calculate the benefit - in order to do that, you'd have to be able to calculate the negative - ie what would be the result if a royal hadn't done it.

The only charity to mention it is EACH but I dont think they put a number on it, but they seem very approachable so you could ask.

To be honest, I dont think that they do calculate the benefit - in order to do that, you'd have to be able to calculate the negative - ie what would be the result if a royal hadn't done it.

The only charity to mention it is EACH but I dont think they put a number on it, but they seem very approachable so you could ask.

Thanks:). Maybe we should all start another thread somewhere else about this and include other royals.

On another note: wasn't there a report not too long ago that Kate would be acquiring new patronages this year. I'm sure that was slowed down because of the HG, but was there ever a timeline as to when she would announcing them?

YEs she was, it was supposed to be Jan/Feb but there have been no announcements.

YEs she was, it was supposed to be Jan/Feb but there have been no announcements.

Maybe she's waiting until after the baby is born??? Although that's a long time. Maybe this month or next??

To calculate the negative you simply just have to look at how the charity or organization is doing before the royal visits, then how much they've improved (or not improved).

Thus, say charity X takes in on average $1000 a month normally, then a member of the BRF does an engagement with them, and afterwards X takes in $2000 a month on average. Then we can say that X is making $1000 more a month, and has doubled their income.

We can't really do that simply because these organizations aren't releasing statements saying how much they made prior to the visit or how much they've made since the visit. We can say that the visits are typically beneficial (be it from a member of the BRF or another public figure) simply because it raises awareness.

To calculate the negative you simply just have to look at how the charity or organization is doing before the royal visits, then how much they've improved (or not improved).

Thus, say charity X takes in on average $1000 a month normally, then a member of the BRF does an engagement with them, and afterwards X takes in $2000 a month on average. Then we can say that X is making $1000 more a month, and has doubled their income.

We can't really do that simply because these organizations aren't releasing statements saying how much they made prior to the visit or how much they've made since the visit. We can say that the visits are typically beneficial (be it from a member of the BRF or another public figure) simply because it raises awareness.

And I think that is all anyone can do.

Royal Reporter (Victoria Murphy) had said in her articles recently that Catherine's new charities will be announced soon and William's military future will also be announced soon. I'm guessing this month or next. The Cambridge's like announcing things on or near their wedding anniversary.

Exactly Ish. It is simple enough. I expect that if the sums turned out to be quite profitable (due to a visit) they would be published and the RF would use them. Because they are not readily mentioned I expect it is what you say and the exercise is down to raising awareness (not actually profitable in a monetary sense). Although, it could be argued that in Kate's case the awareness is more on her appearance and clothing. Aren't the fashion houses happy?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom