The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 2: February 2012-January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This is a great article! I love that Catherine has no problems whatsoever talking to kids about her life. Her answers are straightforward and even though she doesn't go into details, she give a pretty good glimpse that an eight-year-old would understand.

Just your typical conversation around the campfire.:lol:

I thought that too :D. Would have loved to a fly on the wall (errr...log) while it was taking place :lol:.

I have to agree. The Middletons did a fantastic job of raising their children and Im sure they are extremely proud of Catherine. I wonder if they ever thought that one of their daughters would marry a prince and have a fairytale life.

I don't know if any parent ever thinks that his/her child would be able to reach such a hight. In my family, I was always told to 'keep it real and not get carried away'. I think that really made me feel like I couldn't go for the ultimate version of what I'd like my life to be like, as well as made me be more cautious. However, I do think the Middletons did a fantastic with their kids, and allowed them to really go for what they wanted, even if it sounded a bit out of reach.

Last edited:
I have no idea really. I actually can't member whether or not he tweeted anything. Maybe one of our members with a better memory can clear this up for us.

I have no idea really. I actually can't member whether or not he tweeted anything. Maybe one of our members with a better memory can clear this up for us.

my mistake it wasnt a tweet - it was from Grazia

This discussion was in the DOC evening wear thread post 262 May 11th.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ningwear-part-3-february-2012-a-32584-14.html

Mirable provided this link to Grazia apparently quoting Mouret

http://www.graziadaily.co.uk/fashion/archive/2012/05/08/kate-middleton-wears-white-floor-sweeping-gown-by-roland-mouret-at-claridges-hot.htm

I just remembered as I thought it odd he didnt know in the first place and now it is quoted that they worked together on the dress.

I don't get how they worked on the dress together since it was a runway piece and not a custom made piece.

Who is he supposed to have worked with?

The Telegraph article that ghost_night linked to contains an interview with Roland Mouret who says that he worked with Kate on the white evening dress she wore. He talks about how nice she was to work with, and that he enjoyed working with her etc. etc.

So clearly Kate didn't buy the dress off the shelf. She engaged with Mouret to tailor it to her specifications.

The Telegraph article that ghost_night linked to contains an interview with Roland Mouret who says that he worked with Kate on the white evening dress she wore. He talks about how nice she was to work with, and that he enjoyed working with her etc. etc.

So clearly Kate didn't buy the dress off the shelf. She engaged with Mouret to tailor it to her specifications.

Hmmm, I sense a lie. The Grazia article says he was so shocked she wore the dress. :lol: Someone is making a meal out of Catherine.

Maybe he was misquoted? Maybe he didn't know when or where she would wear it, and I suppose there's a chance that she might've chosen never to wear it.

Rachel Trevor Morgan said at Royal Ascot the other she was surprised to see the Queen wear one of her hats on Ladies Day as she never knows when the Queen's going to wear them.

Hmm perhaps, the Grazia article even says Mouret didn't even know she owned the dress. I think i'll go with hindsight in this and say Roland is using the dress to get some publicity.

The Duchess vows to follow in her husband's footsteps and spend a night on the street
Kate Middleton to sleep rough on streets of London for Centrepoint homeless campaign - Mirror Online

What benefit is there to someone like Kate, or William, or anyone famous sleeping with the homeless for a night? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand why this is a good thing. I can understand Diana taking William and Harry to an area where there are homeless to show them how some other people have to live. They we're young, they didn't understand something like homelessness until they saw it.

What benefit is there to someone like Kate, or William, or anyone famous sleeping with the homeless for a night? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand why this is a good thing. I can understand Diana taking William and Harry to an area where there are homeless to show them how some other people have to live. They we're young, they didn't understand something like homelessness until they saw it.

Maybe just to see what it feels like and know even more how grateful they are. That's just my opinion. :)

I don't know if I believe this yet. It's just the one lady quoting Kate as saying, "You're on." I'll wait to hear it from the palace.
Well this lady is actually Centrepoint's ambassador so I doubt she'd be making it up. As for the benefit I member the huge coverage William got when he did it. I remember even my friends talking about it for weeks and saying how it was a cause that kinda slips to the back of your mind normally. Both myself and my friends also said how we hadn't realized how bad homelessness had gotten and that it was great people like William are out there trying to do what they can to raise awareness, as well as obviously open themselves to an experience that really makes you realize that you should be grateful even for the little things in life.

Well this lady is actually Centrepoint's ambassador so I doubt she'd be making it up. As for the benefit I member the huge coverage William got when he did it. I remember even my friends talking about it for weeks and saying how it was a cause that kinda slips to the back of your mind normally. Both myself and my friends also said how we hadn't realized how bad homelessness had gotten and that it was great people like William are out there trying to do what they can to raise awareness, as well as obviously open themselves to an experience that really makes you realize that you should be grateful even for the little things in life.

I think that's the point of doing something like this. If Catherine, William, or any other celebrity decides to sleep on the street for a good cause, it brings attention to the said cause, and raises the awareness of the public. It's sad to say that since I've moved to New York City, I started to view homelessness as something that's a part of being in a big urban center, and now when I see people sitting on the street with coffee cups and signs asking for help, I just walk on by, like everyone else. I'm not doing it because I'm heartless, but because I'm so used to seeing this on almost daily basis. When someone brings this issue to the forefront, we start thinking; 'wow, it'll be mighty uncomfortable sleeping on the pavement and not being able to use the facilities when necessary' or 'holy cow, it's freezing tonight and he/she will be out there on the street...very noble indeed'. Our brains start going and actually thinking about the issues some have to live with on daily basis, and it's because all of a sudden someone we've heard about in the news is taking part in something that perhaps should be looked at more carefully.

I think that's the point of doing something like this. If Catherine, William, or any other celebrity decides to sleep on the street for a good cause, it brings attention to the said cause, and raises the awareness of the public. It's sad to say that since I've moved to New York City, I started to view homelessness as something that's a part of being in a big urban center, and now when I see people sitting on the street with coffee cups and signs asking for help, I just walk on by, like everyone else. I'm not doing it because I'm heartless, but because I'm so used to seeing this on almost daily basis. When someone brings this issue to the forefront, we start thinking; 'wow, it'll be mighty uncomfortable sleeping on the pavement and not being able to use the facilities when necessary' or 'holy cow, it's freezing tonight and he/she will be out there on the street...very noble indeed'. Our brains start going and actually thinking about the issues some have to live with on daily basis, and it's because all of a sudden someone we've heard about in the news is taking part in something that perhaps should be looked at more carefully.
I live in Vancity and it's the exact same thing here. It's such a daily occurrence that I can't help but just keep walking whenever I see a homeless person. I try to give them a bit of change if I have some on me and don't need it for the ridiculous parking metres all around the city. Back in December a really nice homeless man came up to me at 7/11 and opened the door for me both when I entered and left. I felt terrible my head immediately went to William and Kate who had just visited Centrepoint the week before and I stopped and walked back towards the store and gave him the change I had received back from the cashier.It really reminds me of the lyrics from Mel C's song If That Were Me. If you've never heard it I suggest you listen, it really rings true.

Last edited:
I don't know if I believe this story, but someone from a wealthy family living the life of the homeless can help give perspective. Actually people from middle class and upper middle class families can learn something as well. It can prompt someone to actually do something with their time or money.

As we've seen not only with William and Kate, but Harry also, this younger generation of royals are not content with just being spokespersons or figureheads with what they are involved with. Getting out there on the streets for Centrepoint not only draws the public attention to a very serious problem that faces people worldwide, but it also shows those that actually have to live on the streets that they've not been forgotten or their predicament ignored.

Speaking of songs, one that comes to mind is Ralph McTell's Streets of London. Those lyrics haunt me.

And have you seen the old man
Outside the seaman's mission
Memory fading with
The medal ribbons that he wears.
In our winter city,
The rain cries a little pity
For one more forgotten hero
And a world that doesn't care

If this happens, it'll be a stunt for publicity, just as it was when William did it. I'm not criticising when I say that; it's obvious that this would be a way of drawing the eyes of the world to this problem. Kate is probably the most reported on public figure in the world at the moment, so it makes sense to try and harness that to increase awareness and donations.

I'm a tad uncomfortable with it, as it could be interpreted as somewhat patronising for royals to take a night away from their enormous palaces, sleep on the street with bodyguards present at all times, and then be picked up by a Range Rover the following morning. But I suppose they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I don't see the point, I agree with EIIR it's for publicity but will it actually help anything? Did William's little visit actually change something?

I've had friends who have slept rough, really rough. But what made a difference was they personally helped their 'buddy' get off the streets into safe places and find jobs.

William's sleeping rough did get Centrepoint a lot of media attention; I remember their Chief Exec appearing on several TV programmes at the time to talk about it. I visited their website at the time, which I doubt very much I would've done but for that. For Centrepoint to try and buy the column inches in the papers, the interviews on all the main TV news bulletins etc. etc. that William got them would've cost a fortune.

EIIR said:
William's sleeping rough did get Centrepoint a lot of media attention; I remember their Chief Exec appearing on several TV programmes at the time to talk about it. I visited their website at the time, which I doubt very much I would've done but for that. For Centrepoint to try and buy the column inches in the papers, the interviews on all the main TV news bulletins etc. etc. that William got them would've cost a fortune.

I find it odd that it is being told ahead of time. Wouldn't it have had more impact being told after for better impact. When William did it before was it announced before or after?

If this happens, it'll be a stunt for publicity, just as it was when William did it. I'm not criticising when I say that; it's obvious that this would be a way of drawing the eyes of the world to this problem. Kate is probably the most reported on public figure in the world at the moment, so it makes sense to try and harness that to increase awareness and donations.

I'm a tad uncomfortable with it, as it could be interpreted as somewhat patronising for royals to take a night away from their enormous palaces, sleep on the street with bodyguards present at all times, and then be picked up by a Range Rover the following morning. But I suppose they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

i agree 100%! but i think it ought to be the other way around, and have a news crew story of the homeless sleeping inside, instead! now that would be a story!!

I feel the same way. It's a gimmick but it's an effective one. William or Kate or any really well known person sleeping on the street for a night is going to get more attention than if they just visited the Centrepoint headquarters or had lunch with some homeless people, (although the truly indigent would no doubt prefer the lunch). More attention means more money.
The only thing that annoys me about these kinds of publicity set ups is when the famous person involved goes on and on about what a life changing event it was and how they understand now how rough life can be, blah blah blah. That's just dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom