The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 2: February 2012-January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:And if THEY refer to the visit as "secret" rather than "private" it seems that is THEIR responsibility.

It shouldn't be described as secret or private. This visit is mentioned in the official Court Circular.

I think it was very nice that she made a visit to the dressmakers. It was a nice gesture. They did work pretty hard on the dress and a little recognition is a good thing. Well done Catherine. :)

I think it was very nice that she made a visit to the dressmakers. It was a nice gesture. They did work pretty hard on the dress and a little recognition is a good thing. Well done Catherine. :)

Plus I believe Catherine has longed for to see them at work doing embroideries. After all, it was not possible for her to visit them while they were working on her dress and it must have been interesting for her to see for herself.

If press is writing about this it's not a secret. And 'thank you' visit almost year after the wedding, a little too late don't you think. But seems that she hasn't nothing more to do.

I don't recall hearing of other Royal brides paying a personal visit to workers that contributed to their wedding dresses. The fact that she "chose" to do this shows that she very much wanted to extend her personal appreciation for their work. I understand that you dislike Catherine judging by your constant criticism of her, however I find this to be particularly petty.

It shouldn't be described as secret or private. This visit is mentioned in the official Court Circular.

I agree, but the press and some people don't like to let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Visiting the dressmakers/lacemakers was very gracious on Kate's part. I don't know that it should have been announced in the Court Circular, but it was. A nice use of her time nonetheless.

So Catherine's first event with the Queen is tomorrow! From what I've gathered it's going to be at 4am now as of right now I have no clue if that's EST or PST but I should be able to confirm that within the next hour or so. If it's 4am EST I'll be here to supply coverage.

The late Diana, Princess of Wales, visited the ladies who worked on her dress. I believe that she also brought them some wedding cake, but I'm not absolutely sure about that detail.

I don't recall hearing of other Royal brides paying a personal visit to workers that contributed to their wedding dresses. The fact that she "chose" to do this shows that she very much wanted to extend her personal appreciation for their work.

Now that's an interesting article. I wonder how much talk about the "minor adjustments" to Kate's image is true. For one thing, I never considered her to play to the camera.

Baroness of Books said:
Now that's an interesting article. I wonder how much talk about the "minor adjustments" to Kate's image is true. For one thing, I never considered her to play to the camera.

No, in fact, I think she should stop a moment for the cameras when on official engagements. Catherine seems to be adjusting enormously well if these recent engagements are any indication. I can't wait for William to return now and see them together again....I imagine him in the Falklands checking some of our same websites to catch the news of his wife in pictures.

I remember that on twitter some photographers were complaining that she doesn't look at the cameras so it's hard to have pictures of her straight on. So I guess she can't win either way. Personally, I don't think she caters to the cameras at all.

I think this is DM again trying to stir the pot. Catherine is not an attention hog, so I don't know why she would be encouraged to not look at the cameras. From what I've seen, she does her best to direct attention away from herself by dressing modestly, and making sure the cause she's supporting gets a decent exposure. The fact that the photographer decided to zoom in up her skirt is not her fault, so her wearing a hemline that's a little bit shorter is not 'asking for attention', in my opinion. I hope little to no adjustments are made, because William gave her the best advice; to be herself, and she's following it to a tee.

No, in fact, I think she should stop a moment for the cameras when on official engagements. Catherine seems to be adjusting enormously well if these recent engagements are any indication. I can't wait for William to return now and see them together again....I imagine him in the Falklands checking some of our same websites to catch the news of his wife in pictures.

I'm looking forward to seeing them together as well, and would love to see more shots of her during her engagements. Though I do enjoy the candid shots we get of her. They're quite lovely,

I remember that on twitter some photographers were complaining that she doesn't look at the cameras so it's hard to have pictures of her straight on. So I guess she can't win either way. Personally, I don't think she caters to the cameras at all.

No, she can't win no matter what she does. I think the best thing for her is to just do what she has been doing, because on the big scheme of things, it's working, and people are loving seeing her out and about. She's adjusting very well to her new role. If one didn't know, it would appear that she has been doing this her entire life.

Aren't Richard Kay and Geoffrey Levy huge Diana fans? I have a funny feeling this is where this story about 'adjustments' is coming from. I think some lovers of Diana are surprised, and somewhat put out, that Kate has done so well, so quickly. The public have really taken to her as well, in a way that I think some thought only Diana could manage.

Of course there'll have to be tweaks for anyone starting a new life, let alone one in the spotlight. But, I feel that Kate has huge appeal, has started incredibly well and, more importantly, as we saw at Fortnum and Mason, she knows that when it comes to royal females she's 3rd in the pecking order and conducts herself accordingly.

:previous:
I don't know about Geoffrey Levy, but Richard Kay is a die-hard Diana fan. He never misses the opportunity to praise her and criticise Charles and/or Camilla. Notice the cheap shots aimed at the Duchess of Cornwall in that article as well. :nonono:

A lot of Diana supporters didn't think anyone would ever replace her in people's hearts. And as a matter of fact, I don't think Kate has; she is a self-assured woman who tried to find her own place in the royal family and as a working royal - not copy the late Diana, Princess of Wales in every imaginable way, as some people would want. I daresay the fact the Duchess of Cambridge appears to be quite close to her step-mother-in-law doesn't go well with Richard Kay & Co either.

Ah, there's always an agenda, isn't there?;) Some factions just can't stand Kate's, and also Camilla's, popularity and will do what they can to undermine them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that she's at Diana levels of hysteria, and personally I hope we never see anything like it again. But, people have really taken to her, the interest in her is huge from right across the world and I think for some Diana fanatics (although not all I'm sure) that's just difficult to take.

Kate seems to have fitted into the royal family in a way that Diana never seemed to manage. Which is odd if you think about it because Diana's background was much more in keeping with the royals' and Diana of course knew them to a certain extent for years.

You know its funny because as far as I have noticed Catherine doesn't seem to hide from the cameras at all. She gives the media plenty of opportunity to have pictures of her. She isn't an attention hog but seems to realize that she is at the top of the list at the moment for everyone wanting as many photos as they can get. She is more than compliant with the media in my opinion.

It is an interesting article - but more for its focus on Diana than anything else. Yes, both Levy and Kay were (and clearly still are) huge Diana fans.

Kate is her own person, she seems to be managing very well doing things her way. She is a young and modern woman who dresses far more modestly than many women of her age. Although I hate the focus on her clothes and pay very little attention to them, I don't recall any standing out as being inappropriate.

These endless comparisons with someone who died 15 years ago do neither woman any favours and just show how stuck in the past the authors of the article are.

To me the purpose of the piece appears simply to have another go at Prince Charles and to repeat, ad nauseum, Diana's version of her unhappy marriage - which Kay and Levy have managed very successfully while dressing it up as an article about Kate.

Richard Kay appear rather b*tchy, IMO. I saw him doing an interview not too long ago and he was criticizing William and commenting about his desire for privacy. RK still basks in the glow of Diana (and his special relationship with her) and is IMO a sh*t stirrer. From all appearances these three ladies seem to get along quite well and pleasantly. Of course, "pleasant" does not make for news.

In SoCal, "playing to the camera" doesn't actually mean that one looks at the camera (one may still treat cameras with disdain) but merely that one is aware at all times that one might be photographed and keeps that awareness as part of one's personality. For example, one might wish to be seen talking with children or playing with pets, consistently. One always has a ready smile (that's "playing to the camera" here). The smile is usually somewhat practiced, etc.

In SoCal, "playing to the camera" doesn't actually mean that one looks at the camera (one may still treat cameras with disdain) but merely that one is aware at all times that one might be photographed and keeps that awareness as part of one's personality. For example, one might wish to be seen talking with children or playing with pets, consistently. One always has a ready smile (that's "playing to the camera" here). The smile is usually somewhat practiced, etc.

That makes sense. I think Catherine does that pretty well. We see her smiling as soon as she gets out of the car, and the smile pretty much never leaves her face (unless she's talking to someone and the person says something serious), her interactions with children are natural and consistent and I think she's more than aware of what's going on.

Why do they continue to use the word "secret" when they're publishing stories about these visits? Ridiculous.

Why do they continue to use the word "secret" when they're publishing stories about these visits? Ridiculous.

It is ridiculous, but in the DM world anything that is private is considered secret.....and makes for a better story.

It is ridiculous, but in the DM world anything that is private is considered secret.....and makes for a better story.

Not just the DM, The Telegraph uses it to and that's a respected newspaper if there is such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom