The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 2: February 2012-January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It gives an impression that Kate is skulking around and has something to hide which of course isn't the case at all.

Last edited:
Why do they continue to use the word "secret" when they're publishing stories about these visits? Ridiculous.

Quite simple. Because it was not pre-announced. The fact that someone told the press that she was there after the fact is neither here nor there.

Quite simple. Because it was not pre-announced. The fact that someone told the press that she was there after the fact is neither here nor there.

Seems that if Kate doesn't call them up secretly to say where she is going then the event is labeled a "secret".

Why do they continue to use the word "secret" when they're publishing stories about these visits? Ridiculous.

Because they still hope IMHo that if baited enough W&C might start to change their privacy policy and leak such infos beforehand.

I personally like the way Catherine goes about town in "secret". What if the media had reported on her before she spent time at the exhibition? Then not the exhibition would be seen by her but she would have become a part of it for others to view... Now sure enough lots and lots of people will visit the exhibition which is good for them but for Catherine this way is the only chance she has to see something in quiet.

That doesn't make the visit a "secret", it would be a secret visit if nobody found out but seeing as the press get hold of the stories then the visit is no longer secret and is public.

Using the word secret implies that Catherine doesn't want to be known attending these places, for a bad reason not just the press aspect. I don't think she grasps the concept that the BRF have no privacy and unannounced visits will always be discovered. Is there a problem with attending the events out in the open? No. The press talks about it anyway this way the places she visits gets publicity for a good reason.

That doesn't make the visit a "secret", it would be a secret visit if nobody found out but seeing as the press get hold of the stories then the visit is no longer secret and is public.

Using the word secret implies that Catherine doesn't want to be known attending these places, for a bad reason not just the press aspect. I don't think she grasps the concept that the BRF have no privacy and unannounced visits will always be discovered. Is there a problem with attending the events out in the open? No. The press talks about it anyway this way the places she visits gets publicity for a good reason.

I don't agree. She made a private visit which was kept a secret from the public and the media at the time, not for any nefarious reason. The fact that the press later found out is irrelevant; when Kate made the visit it was a secret.

We don't know that every visit she makes is eventually reported. If this was the case, she must never go out of the house for days on end as it's only every week or so we hear about these things. 'Secret' simply means she went off her own bat, in a private capacity and didn't want any hoopla.

I think Kate just wants to keep some visits off the radar, so to speak, just because of the constant frenzy and exposure that constantly accompany such visits. In my mind, this doesn't mean she's sneaking around or engaging in events that are questionable; she could be trying to keep them low-key. The public doesn't have to know everything she does and this gives her a modicum of freedom with less pressure on her and focus more on the organizations she visits.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like this was a visit to determine if she wants to become a sponsor. It needed to be done without the press following her. Good for her.

I don't mind Kate visiting the museum in private, its an opportunity for her to take her time and learn more of it without the press in your face. Not all events have to be announced but personally if the visit had no attention to, I don't see why it should be all over the press or announced.
Do we know if Kate visited the museum after it closed its doors or while it was open?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Kate just wants to keep some visits off the radar, so to speak, just because of the constant frenzy and exposure that constantly accompany such visits. In my mind, this doesn't mean she's sneaking around or engaging in events that are questionable; she could be trying to keep them low-key. The public doesn't have to know everything she does and this gives her a modicum of freedom with less pressure on her and focus more on the organizations she visits.

I agree.... and with that constant frenzy is a great deal on inconvenience to the other visitors of the museum. if she wants to go somewhere for her own purposes, it is great that she can slip in and take in the exhibit. im sure the musuem was well aware of her presence with the security etc. its not that differnt that when she does a little shopping. If all of this is so that she can maintain a little bit of normalcy - good for her.

Secret, private or personal

Being very familiar with the British press, secret means they didn't know about a royal visit and don't like the fact. Its the media putting out negative messages.

Private means that the visit was connected to royal duties but was either a "learning" visit or perhaps sensitive. A good example would be some of the visits the late Diana, Princess of Wales made to the homeless. It means that the press are not invited. No official statement is usually made but these days, people do leak information to the media.

Personal means nothing to do with royal duties and press intrusion is unwelcome.

If there was no need for secrecy for her private visits and actions, then there would be no need for her own protection officer. "Official" engagements normally mean that a lot of people are informed about her movements, so chances are much higher that she could be targeted, thus the need for more police attention. Which costs the taxpayer money and/or she needs police attention that could be focused elsewhere to protect the citizens.

Thus I really do wonder why the staunchest supporters of more care with taxpayers money (aka the media!) want to know more about what Catherine does in advance, as this woulkd increase the risk for her and the cost of avoiding that danger.

:D:D

My understanding is that protection officers are with the royals 24/7. Holidays, walking the dog, official visits - they are there

My understanding is that protection officers are with the royals 24/7. Holidays, walking the dog, official visits - they are there
Yes, but local police who show up when there are crowds for an announced official visit would not be necessary on an unannounced private visit.

ONE MORE EVENT ON THE 17 OF MARCH

The Duchess of Cambridge will present shamrock to the Irish Guards at the St Patrick’s Day Parade, Mons Barracks, Aldershot on March 17. The members of the 1st Battalion Irish Guards will receive traditional sprigs of shamrock from The Duchess of Cambridge at the St Patrick’s Day parade. 450 soldiers will march onto the parade square in full ceremonial uniform of scarlet tunics and bearskins. The Guards will be accompanied by the regimental mascot, Conmeal, an Irish Woolfhound, who will also receive his own sprig of shamrock from The Duchess.

The engagement includes a private meeting with senior personnel in the Officers’ Mess; the St Patrick’s Day parade at which The Duchess will present shamrocks to 40 Officers and Warrant Officers, who will then issue it along the ranks; HRH meeting members of the QS club, the Regiment Association and the Mini Micks cadets on the parade ground following the parade; HRH being photographed with 100 Sergeants and then with 40 Officers; HRH visiting 300 Guardsmen having lunch in the dining room; and a private meeting with past and present serving officers and their families. The engagement will finish with a private luncheon with officers at the Barracks.

Source: The British Royals Message Board

She's been working quite a lot... and it's not going to die down for her this year. My guess is that she and William will lie low for a few weeks when he gets back so they can have some alone time together, but I'm sure there will be a few joint engagements for the two of them soon after. And then in the coming months, they'll have their Olympic commitments and then their jubilee tour.

She may not be a full time working royal yet, but it looks like she's taking a pretty demanding part time role.

I think that's probably a correct timeline with Kate's activities, also. She's probably putting in a fair deal of appearances now so that when William comes home, they'll both stay out of the spotlight for a bit for some down time. Then as spring comes around, I'm sure the level of Jubilee appearances will pick up again.

I was thinking after the wedding they made it seem like Kate would not be doing many Royal engagements. However, I think she has been quite busy, and her schedule seems to be steady and full. I'm sure she is looking forward to Prince Williams return, when is that exactly?

Patra said:
Prince Williams return, when is that exactly?

Depending on how they figure six weeks out, it's either today or the 15th.

Also, I believe Catherine is appearing due to it being the Jubilee year, they're involved in the tour and for them to just do overseas visits and ignore engagements at home would be costly. With William away as well, Catherine probably needed to look like she was doing something.

I'm sure Kate's pretty nervous tonight. Among other firsts, it'll be her first trip on the Royal Train.

BBC just posted the times for tomorrow with conversions for those who are on EST. For PST we're 3 hours behind the EST time posted.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0j0qkbpX31qbl67wo1_500.jpg

There is no way I'll be able to cover this one I have class in the morning so there is no way I can stay up till 3:30am but I'll be here prior to the actual appearance so any pre-appearance news I'll post.

I'm sure Kate's pretty nervous tonight. Among other firsts, it'll be her first trip on the Royal Train.

Oh that's very cool :) Hopefully she gets some nice time with HM and Prince Phillip. I've heard it said that the Royal Train is HM's most relaxing place.

On another board, people were discussing some Unicef interview she gave and some people said she did bad. Does anyone know what interview she gave and if you have seen it what was your opinion of how she speaks?
The only time I have heard her talk was during the engagement interview, and a very small clip from a few years before. The only thing I can recall that she might need to work on is talking with her hands.

On another board, people were discussing some Unicef interview she gave and some people said she did bad. Does anyone know what interview she gave and if you have seen it what was your opinion of how she speaks?
The only time I have heard her talk was during the engagement interview, and a very small clip from a few years before. The only thing I can recall that she might need to work on is talking with her hands.

It was like a quick question that they asked her out of the blue here it is.

She starts at 0:47
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in Denmark - YouTube

I don't think she did bad at all. She was nervous but still managed to speak slow, she didn't rush her answer. I think being nervous would be quite normal in this situation...
I love how William nods at her answer, like agreeing with it. I think he must be very proud of her

Depending on how they figure six weeks out, it's either today or the 15th.

Also, I believe Catherine is appearing due to it being the Jubilee year, they're involved in the tour and for them to just do overseas visits and ignore engagements at home would be costly. With William away as well, Catherine probably needed to look like she was doing something.
I think I read somewhere that he was due back on the 20th. Don't remember where I saw it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom