The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Courtier

Just looked at their official homepage and look what I have found there under The Duchess of Cambridge - Interests:

Quote:
Other hobbies include more recreational sports such as hill walking, tennis, sailing, swimming, and the arts, including photography and painting.

The Duchess’s enthusiasm for photography saw her taking photographs as part of her role during her time working within Party Pieces, a family company owned and run by her parents.
I think this statement is probably the reason why some people are somewhat underwhelmed when it comes to the professionalism of the photos posted on their homepage.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness

Catherine is not a professional photographer and has never claimed to be a professional. She never received training in photography so I don't understand why people were expecting 'professionalism' from snapshots taken on her digital camera while on tour. The photos weren't destined for the National Portrait Gallery, Catherine posted them on her personal website to share with the public.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Serene Highness

One thing is for certain though. These snapshots point out how much interest there is in the Duchess of Cambridge. Her website crashed twice yesterday from too much demand and the internet is flooded with articles about these photos.
Catherine's popularity is phenomenal.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd say that interest in Catherine is phenomenal. There are people out there just looking to criticise.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Thanks for saying that. I have no idea why such pictures are being published. And this from a couple who usually have a clinical cut approach between "private" and "public".
I think perhaps this is exactly why she decided to share her photos on the official website. Both William and Kate are astute enough to realize that there is a public yearning to know more about them. What makes them tick, what they like to do and perhaps more in depths of what they like and what its like to be them. Their official web site is a perfect venue to do this. With Facebook, that is what we can do too.. share with family and friends.

With drawing a line in the sand on what they will tolerate or not as far as their privacy, I think that the couple putting a more personal aspect into their official website is a pretty smart move. They don't appear too standoffish and reclusive in their private lives but also gives them control of what is seen by the public. It won't call off the paps, but Will and Kate have in their own way taken the exclusive angle away a bit more.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Just looked at their official homepage and look what I have found there under The Duchess of Cambridge - Interests:

I think this statement is probably the reason why some people are somewhat underwhelmed when it comes to the professionalism of the photos posted on their homepage.
Exactly, Kit. This proves that she has some pratice. That's why I thought the pictures would be better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
I don't understand why people were expecting 'professionalism' from snapshots taken on her digital camera while on tour. The photos weren't destined for the National Portrait Gallery, Catherine posted them on her personal website to share with the public.
I was not expecting professionalism. To be a professional takes years, money, pratice, dedication and talent. I know Kate is just an amateur. But between amateurs, there are many degrees of quality. Since Kate seems to have some experience already, I was expecting them to have better quality, but still not the quality of a professional, of course.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

sharing like this is something that the BRF has always done. In the past, it was a press release with pix and, inevitably, the info evaporated. Now sharing means going on the website and it being disected by friend and foe alike and it never evaporates - its there for all time. This is upping the ante for ALL royals - not just the cambridges. They should be generally supported for doing this. Those on this forum who take an active interest should actively support this process.

I'm not saying that you should like everything they say, do or present but show respect for the fact that they are willing to do this.

It would be so easy for them to withdraw this type of information.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Serene Highness

Well, I have always been of the opinion that if these criticisms are the best that Catherine's detractors can do, then she must be doing something right.

Lack of 'professionalism' with snapshots she took while on tour with her husband and decided to share with the public who have been asking for more photos.

Catherine must be just gutted she is not up for the Robert Capa Gold Medal.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

made my day Earl

Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post

Quote:
Other hobbies include more recreational sports such as hill walking, tennis, sailing, swimming, and the arts, including photography and painting.

The Duchess’s enthusiasm for photography saw her taking photographs as part of her role during her time working within Party Pieces, a family company owned and run by her parents.
To be fair, Kate was taking her photos on a basic camera without all of the bells and whistles. To truly capture landscapes, most photographers use better equipment and take their time capturing photos/setting up shots. Kate only had a few moments, so her photos won't compare.

Plus, landscape photography is different than still life photography (which is what I assume Kate was doing at PP)...they require different techniques. So while she may have experience behind a camera, it's possible that she's just now trying her hand at landscape photography.

IMO, the photos look fine (a few of them I really like). They're basically tourists photos, so I can't really say that they reflect Kate's true ability. The only way I'd truly be able to judge her talent, is if she were to exhibit her photos in a gallery.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
sharing like this is something that the BRF has always done. In the past, it was a press release with pix and, inevitably, the info evaporated. Now sharing means going on the website and it being disected by friend and foe alike and it never evaporates - its there for all time. This is upping the ante for ALL royals - not just the cambridges. They should be generally supported for doing this. Those on this forum who take an active interest should actively support this process.

I'm not saying that you should like everything they say, do or present but show respect for the fact that they are willing to do this.

It would be so easy for them to withdraw this type of information.
sorry, but who has not showed respect for the fact that they shared the pics?
I must say I've nothing against them sharing the pics, absolutely nothing. I may even like what they share in the future, who knows?
But I don't have to like everything, have I? I didn't like the pics and shared my opinion, just that, I don't think that makes me a "detractor"
Old 11-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

One thing I did want to mention though after something that happened to me tonight. It's Deer Season here and my Dad, who more than likely is taking part in his last year of hunting due to his very rapidly declining health, got himself an 8 point Buck today. A nice big deer too, which considering that makes up the majority of the meat we eat in this house and the meat from last year was just about out, which will help us out big time w/the grocery bills, not to mention making Dad's year. Anyway...

Since I'm a huge skating fan and go to shows and competitions a lot, I have a really good professional looking camera w/the needed settings and lens. Doesn't mean the person using it is a Professional, but the camera is.

So Mom takes me out to our back shed to do pictures w/Dad and his buck and also the son of friends of ours who is also hunting w/us and got a nice little buck himself today, and I noticed something was happening I hadn't seen before. I had it set for Auto, as I usually do for pictures like this, and when I pushed only half way down to get the focus, I noticed the settings were changing from Auto to Sport and back to Auto a couple of times and I think I also got a couple in the Sport setting due to that.

Now, considering the camera Kate had was more than likely a regular digital camera, but w/those same options, what if those B&W pictures in the jungle the result of the same thing? The Camera taking over w/out her knowing it and, in turn, getting some happy accidents?

Regardless, I thought those B&W's were gorgeous and IMO showed up far more of the jungle than a colour one would. We've all seen gorgeous colour pictures of the Rainforests around the World, but the colour blinds you in a way to the details of the leaves and other foliage. At least to me. These B&W's however don't do that and you can focus on the actual various forms of plant life and their details.

As I said though, that's just me.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Tiggersk8 Congrats to your Dad on his 8 point Buck. Great that you got pix to remember this occasion - really that's all pix are about for peeps like us. To remember an occasion, people and family. Lets not get frazzled over it.

Julliette - I dont think you have. My post was not in respone to any of your posts - I would have made it clear if it was

Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

WOW so much hubub about an amateur photographers photographs. She is an amateur not a professional. She also lists amongst her interests tennis and swimming. Would you judge her abilities in those sports against Federer or Phelps? Probably not, so why judge her photographs as one would a professionals.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I finally had a chance to sit down and look through Kate's photographs and I think that cepe hit it on the head stating that some pictures are "To remember an occasion, people and family." These were shots that Kate wanted to capture and I think she did a pretty good job of it. If it was for a magazine layout, I'd have no clue as I know next to nothing about photography.

What hit me was that when they were on that tour, most photographers focused on them and that's what we saw. With Kate's photos, we see some of the beautiful sights that they enjoyed. Adds more perspective to the whole tour I think.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Julliette - I dont think you have. My post was not in respone to any of your posts - I would have made it clear if it was
ok, no hard feelings, thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
WOW so much hubub about an amateur photographers photographs. She is an amateur not a professional. She also lists amongst her interests tennis and swimming. Would you judge her abilities in those sports against Federer or Phelps? Probably not, so why judge her photographs as one would a professionals.
why do people insist on saying that you're comparing her photos with professional ones?
I've made clear I was NOT expecting professionalism, just a bit more quality, there are many levels of quality among amateur levels.
People may disagree with me and say that the photos are good to them. Fine, each with their opinion.
But please, stop insisting on wondering why people were expecting professionalism. No one here said they wanted professionalism
Old 11-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Aristocracy

Some of the pictures were good, others not so much. Considering the camera she had, I wasn't expecting the next cover of National Geographic. But even if she had brought the ritziest camera known to man with her, I'm guessing she didn't take each picture thinking, "Ansel Adams, eat your heart out!". Who knows if she even knew ahead of time that they'd be seen outside of family and friends? Could be that someone had the bright idea to ask Kate if she'd release a few pics that she'd taken on the tour to put on the website for no reason other than having pictures taken by the Duchess of Cambridge herself to view. I also assume she doesn't give a flying flip what I or anyone else thinks about her ability as a photographer. *shrug*
Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Serene Highness

They are snapshots taken during a tour of Asia. Thats all. If Harry decides to post some snapshots from his down time in Afghanistan, no one will bat an eyelash but as usual, when Catherine takes a snapshot it becomes a global issue.

The headlines are silly and the critiques even sillier. My mum is a big Diana fan and she said to me today, that she has never witnessed such media interest in a royal, as she has with Catherine.

I seen one article on-line today and it was like reading about the Da Vinci code. Wondering if there are hidden messages in Catherine's snapshots.

Can't wait for TRH appearance in Cambridge next week so her critics can get back to slating her for her hair and sartorial choices. You know, the good old days.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
Exactly, Kit. This proves that she has some pratice. That's why I thought the pictures would be better...

I was not expecting professionalism. To be a professional takes years, money, pratice, dedication and talent. I know Kate is just an amateur. But between amateurs, there are many degrees of quality. Since Kate seems to have some experience already, I was expecting them to have better quality, but still not the quality of a professional, of course.
I thought she was fairly good in trying out the Ansel Adams style. Of course she is no Adams, I personally even think she does not have the something special of the real artist but she obviously has an avid interest in photography and she dares to play with the possibilities she has. Good for her.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Clearly there are some on this board who think if you don't think something Kate does is oh so fantastic then you are a detractor who constantly bash Kate. These nonstop attempts of painting posters and something they aren't and putting words in their mouth they never said comes off as not wanting to hear another persons opinion. It has been stated too many times to count that no one expects professional photos from Kate, but there is a middle ground that between professional and just got my first camera that some assumed she would be at, whether you refuse to accept that middle ground or not. And also just because she did release the photos doesn't mean they must automatically be given a 10. Some of you need to stop taking your hate of the Daily Mail comments out on members of this board.
Like everyone else I have seen the pix and agree they aren't great; she released them I gave my opinion end of story. It isn't a reflection on how I view Kate.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Closed Thread