The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 03:26 AM
Majesty

I thought that the photo of the mountain in Borneo was majestic and beautiful and that the black-and-white photo taken of the orangutan was other-worldly. The one I like most is of the palm-oil plantation. There are different shadings of green on the plants which gives them almost a sense of movement. It's intriguing seeing things though Kate's eyes.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

I hardly criticize Kate and am usually defending her, but nothin was said by anyone that can equate to bashing of Kate, at least not what I saw. I've only seem 2 people say they didn't like the photos; not that they were the worst pix in the world or that her lack of talent means she should be kicked out of the BRF. All the comments I have seen have been respectful in their opinions. And again, the ones lambasting these posters for their opinions have no problem jumping on the bandwagon of "why is her hair always down, why does she always wear belts on her dresses, she's too skinny...."
Also I believe I have read that Kate has been taking photos since 2007 or 2008, perhaps that is why some people assumed she would be better.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 11-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Serene Highness

So Catherine has been taking photos since '07 or '08 and because of this she should be 'better'?

What does 'better' mean because I'm confused. Catherine has no training in photography and has never once claimed to have any special aptitude for photography. Catherine has an interest, that's it, not unlike many people.

If people don't like Catherine's snapshots, that's fine but just remember they are only 'vacation' photos for the couples website and not an art exhibition. She was gracious enough to share them with the public who appreciate the gesture. At least I appreciate the gesture.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Courtier

Those people didn't say they didn't like the pictures, they wrote a paragraph about how she should be like Mario Testino by now, from pictures taking from an amateurish digital camera that is similar to what most people in the (western) world own.

I've been taking pictures since 2007 also, I don't see how that should make me a professional.

Don't expect those pictures to look like it from a vogue photoshoot with a camera most could find a walmart. Expecting the same result when one was moving with a cheaper camera, while the others often spend the whole day, stationary with an expensive professional camera while taking their pictures and using professional Photoshop software make no sense to me.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technol...6b-460x288.jpg

Quote:
Andrew O’Brien: A good eye for composition – and passing on a message
Andrew O

No one is talking about the Orangutan (well I guess this isn't the forum to do so)
Old 11-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Noor of Jordan: Duchess of Cambridge could be an inspiration to young women:
Queen Noor of Jordan: Duchess of Cambridge could be an inspiration to young women - Telegraph

I totally agree.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
The one with the clouds looks like one I took from a plane, shall I share my talent with the world too
If you have a Facebook page or a blog, and you post pictures of your vacation ... as many people do, then you are sharing your talent with the world, too.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Queen Noor of Jordan: Duchess of Cambridge could be an inspiration to young women:
Queen Noor of Jordan: Duchess of Cambridge could be an inspiration to young women - Telegraph

I totally agree.
Its amazing to think Catherine has been a member of the BRF for only 19 months. I admire and respect the approach that HRH is taking in regards to her royal role. She has to strike the right balance between minding her position and not overshadowing other senior women in the RF and also keeping the focus on her husband as William prepares for his destiny to be king. (she is after all married to the 2nd in line and grandson of HM and not the heir).

It is exciting to think of the new opportunities that will come with Catherine becoming a full-time royal next year (all indications point to this) and I totally agree with Queen Noor that HRH has a firm understanding of just how much influence she will have with young women going forward as consort to William.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think HRH is really on to something with the charities she is currently supporting, especially Action on Addiction. There will be many more charities and different organizations that will also come into her focus.

I have no doubt Catherine will focus on supporting William as his Consort but I think William will do as The Queen has done for Prince Philip. I think he will give her the space she needs to make her own mark within the "Firm" and UK and Commonwealth. It's something that will take years to accomplish but I think she will go on to do some amazing things and help make a difference in peoples lives.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
Oh sorry, I was slightly making fun of the situation not the pics. You know I didnīt comment on the pictures, it is also a hobby for me. I donīt think itīs fair to judge this kind of photos because they are not made by a professional. Just tourist-like, like the ones you and me can take in a trip. So why share them in the official page? Along with Williamīs photos of his place of work yesterday. I think we have been following royalty for enough time to recognize thet the couple is being publicized, for whatever reason they feel they need to do it. JMO.
Thanks for saying that. I have no idea why such pictures are being published. And this from a couple who usually have a clinical cut approach between "private" and "public".
Old 11-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Serene Highness

The photos are being published because the public have asked for them to be published.
Many people filled out the questionnaire on the old website and offered feedback on how to make improvements. More photos was one of the suggestions.

I will say again, it is bizarre the effort some people make to slate this couple.
It borders on pathological.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

They're being published for publicity, just like the RAF photos which coincidentally came out on the same day. Nobody even knew they existed until yesterday. I bet the public couldn't care less.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Serene Highness

Their website crashed twice yesterday from the traffic, so there must be interest from somewhere.

According to the latest Ipsos-MORI poll, William and Catherine are very popular royals, so its natural the public want more photos and info about them :)
Old 11-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think the pictures show their work, interest and what they are about. I think it's great for the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge to personalize their Official Website like this and I hope they continue to do so. I even like that The Crown Prince & Princess of Denmark do the samething.

I think William & Catherine should post videos of them visiting their charities and give a personal insight into their thoughts and ideas for the benefit of their charities.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Their website crashed twice yesterday from the traffic, so there must be interest from somewhere.

According to the latest Ipsos-MORI poll, William and Catherine are very popular royals, so its natural the public want more photos and info about them :)
Yep. The website crashed and they eventually had to put Kate's photos on a different site, so people are definitely interested in seeing such photos.

Quote:
The photos are being published because the public have asked for them to be published.
Many people filled out the questionnaire on the old website and offered feedback on how to make improvements. More photos was one of the suggestions.

I will say again, it is bizarre the effort some people make to slate this couple.
I'm really glad they listened to feedback and made changes to the old website.The new one is much easier to navigate and it feels much more personable.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Serene Highness

William is hiring additional staff to deal with the increased demand for media access , so I think we will see their website updated frequently with new content.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, seems that my post caused a bit of controversy here

Tiggersk8, I hope your're not refering to me when you talk about the "usual suspects post". I clearly do not fit in that group. If you notice I barely comment on boards related to William and Kate though I follow those boards closely. And I guess I never bashed any royal lady here in the forum as well.
So I hope that this was not directed at me
Quote:
To have such bitterness towards a group of Ladies who are doing their best to try and use their position to make this World of ours a better place...I don't get it and I pity anyone w/that much bitterness and anger in them. It's just sad. :(
Old 11-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Majesty

I think that Catherine takes pretty good pictures. You can see that she definitely understands the importance of positioning the camera a certain way. It was very gracioud of this couple to share more of 'behind the scenes' photos with the world. They certainly didn't have to. I respect them even more for that.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Your last sentence is very disrespectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Those people didn't say they didn't like the pictures, they wrote a paragraph about how she should be like Mario Testino by now, from pictures taking from an amateurish digital camera that is similar to what most people in the (western) world own.

I've been taking pictures since 2007 also, I don't see how that should make me a professional.

Don't expect those pictures to look like it from a vogue photoshoot with a camera most could find a walmart. Expecting the same result when one was moving with a cheaper camera, while the others often spend the whole day, stationary with an expensive professional camera while taking their pictures and using professional Photoshop software make no sense to me.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technol...6b-460x288.jpg
1st, I never said she should be the next Testino. In fact, I said in my first post I knew she was just an amateur but as I said there are two kinds of amateurs two me. And to me someone that likes photography that much and has reportedly been taking photos for 4/5 as aparentely Kate has, should have improved a bit. These photos look to me taken from someone who just started now, not a few year ago. But of course, this is just MY OPINION, everyone here can disagree.
2nd, yes I wrote a paragraph with my opinion.
I could have came here and simply make a comment like "OH I don't like the photos, they are so bad, this girl has no talent, etc etc" but I think that the forum becomes richer when we try to explain our opinions instead of just saying if we like or not. And that's why I wrote a paragraph. I didn't like the photos and I tried to explain why so that people didn't assume I was one of those posters that don't like her simply because they don't.

Some of the reactions here have acused some posters of bashing Kate. I would love to know where in my post I bashed her...
I had an opinion and stated it as everyone else in the forum. That's what a forum is about after all... I don't think I've been disrespectful with anybody, not even with Kate, so I don't understand why the reactions were so harsh
Old 11-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Why don't we all go to our respective corners and chill.

Surely its possible to have opposing opinions regarding the Duchess of Cambridge without this thread becoming a bit of a mess.

I would hate to have to close this thread before I leave for Thanksgiving Dinner! But it looks like a clean up is necessary to remove the off topic as well as posts attacking other members.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are probably responding to the increasing requests from their "people", i.e. the population for whom the royal family serves. The couple have kindly posted private photos to show a snippet of their lives. For anyone to disrespect the couples right to reach out and the way they are chosing to do so is simply rude. If the royal couple is "your" royal couple I hope you accept what they are trying to do and if you are truly just a bystander voicing an opinion then ask yourself why you are actually participating here. If you are bashing someone who has no impact on your life then you have made them into another celebrity to follow and you are missing the role and culture of being part of a monarchy.

Closed Thread