The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I finally had a chance to sit down and look through Kate's photographs and I think that cepe hit it on the head stating that some pictures are "To remember an occasion, people and family." These were shots that Kate wanted to capture and I think she did a pretty good job of it. If it was for a magazine layout, I'd have no clue as I know next to nothing about photography.

What hit me was that when they were on that tour, most photographers focused on them and that's what we saw. With Kate's photos, we see some of the beautiful sights that they enjoyed. Adds more perspective to the whole tour I think.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Julliette - I dont think you have. My post was not in respone to any of your posts - I would have made it clear if it was
ok, no hard feelings, thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
WOW so much hubub about an amateur photographers photographs. She is an amateur not a professional. She also lists amongst her interests tennis and swimming. Would you judge her abilities in those sports against Federer or Phelps? Probably not, so why judge her photographs as one would a professionals.
why do people insist on saying that you're comparing her photos with professional ones?
I've made clear I was NOT expecting professionalism, just a bit more quality, there are many levels of quality among amateur levels.
People may disagree with me and say that the photos are good to them. Fine, each with their opinion.
But please, stop insisting on wondering why people were expecting professionalism. No one here said they wanted professionalism

Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Aristocracy

Some of the pictures were good, others not so much. Considering the camera she had, I wasn't expecting the next cover of National Geographic. But even if she had brought the ritziest camera known to man with her, I'm guessing she didn't take each picture thinking, "Ansel Adams, eat your heart out!". Who knows if she even knew ahead of time that they'd be seen outside of family and friends? Could be that someone had the bright idea to ask Kate if she'd release a few pics that she'd taken on the tour to put on the website for no reason other than having pictures taken by the Duchess of Cambridge herself to view. I also assume she doesn't give a flying flip what I or anyone else thinks about her ability as a photographer. *shrug*
Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Serene Highness

They are snapshots taken during a tour of Asia. Thats all. If Harry decides to post some snapshots from his down time in Afghanistan, no one will bat an eyelash but as usual, when Catherine takes a snapshot it becomes a global issue.

The headlines are silly and the critiques even sillier. My mum is a big Diana fan and she said to me today, that she has never witnessed such media interest in a royal, as she has with Catherine.

I seen one article on-line today and it was like reading about the Da Vinci code. Wondering if there are hidden messages in Catherine's snapshots.

Can't wait for TRH appearance in Cambridge next week so her critics can get back to slating her for her hair and sartorial choices. You know, the good old days.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
Exactly, Kit. This proves that she has some pratice. That's why I thought the pictures would be better...

I was not expecting professionalism. To be a professional takes years, money, pratice, dedication and talent. I know Kate is just an amateur. But between amateurs, there are many degrees of quality. Since Kate seems to have some experience already, I was expecting them to have better quality, but still not the quality of a professional, of course.
I thought she was fairly good in trying out the Ansel Adams style. Of course she is no Adams, I personally even think she does not have the something special of the real artist but she obviously has an avid interest in photography and she dares to play with the possibilities she has. Good for her.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Clearly there are some on this board who think if you don't think something Kate does is oh so fantastic then you are a detractor who constantly bash Kate. These nonstop attempts of painting posters and something they aren't and putting words in their mouth they never said comes off as not wanting to hear another persons opinion. It has been stated too many times to count that no one expects professional photos from Kate, but there is a middle ground that between professional and just got my first camera that some assumed she would be at, whether you refuse to accept that middle ground or not. And also just because she did release the photos doesn't mean they must automatically be given a 10. Some of you need to stop taking your hate of the Daily Mail comments out on members of this board.
Like everyone else I have seen the pix and agree they aren't great; she released them I gave my opinion end of story. It isn't a reflection on how I view Kate.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 11-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Catherine was a shutter bug while in Canada and I'm hoping some of the Canadian snapshots will be posted to her website. She took many pics of William flying a Sea King helicopter
No, those were also taking with an out of pocket camera. Evidently people expect the same quality of photos that come out of cameras like these http://freelanceswitch.com/wp-conten.../10/camera.jpg
Old 11-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Clearly there are some on this board who think if you don't think something Kate does is oh so fantastic then you are a detractor who constantly bash Kate. These nonstop attempts of painting posters and something they aren't and putting words in their mouth they never said comes off as not wanting to hear another persons opinion. It has been stated too many times to count that no one expects professional photos from Kate, but there is a middle ground that between professional and just got my first camera that some assumed she would be at, whether you refuse to accept that middle ground or not. And also just because she did release the photos doesn't mean they must automatically be given a 10. Some of you need to stop taking your hate of the Daily Mail comments out on members of this board.
Like everyone else I have seen the pix and agree they aren't great; she released them I gave my opinion end of story. It isn't a reflection on how I view Kate.
^^ This!!
I agree 100% with your post, Xenia
Old 11-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Thanks for saying that. I have no idea why such pictures are being published. And this from a couple who usually have a clinical cut approach between "private" and "public".
Oh come on. These photos were taken on an official tour and neither Kate nor William appear in them. Now if Kate had taken a picture of William on the loo, or stepping out of the shower and posted it on their website, your point would've had a smidgeon of merit. Alas, it does not.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Courtier

^^According to who? This board? (Victoria)
Old 11-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR

Oh come on. These photos were taken on an official tour and neither Kate nor William appear in them. Now if Kate had taken a picture of William on the loo, or stepping out of the shower and posted it on their website, your point would've had a smidgeon of merit. Alas, it does not.
I admit I am wondering this as well, these aren't pix of them or their home. Kate is behind the lense taking scenery pix.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Please note that several off topic posts have been deleted.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Serene Highness

Im just not understanding the issue here. Catherine took some photos whilst on tour and they were with her own camera and they are not professional quality but Catherine is not a professional photographer so because she can't take better photos that makes her photos somewhat lacking interest? Im assuming this is pretty much the whole argument? Some people like the photos and some do not. Well who the heck cares if the photos are not professional looking because when it comes down to it, she was having a good time with her husband in a place she had never been before whilst appearing on behalf of the Queen. I think the photos are a wonderful memory for Catherine and William to look back on when they are sitting around and recalling moments in time that they shared together. Just my opinion. :)
Old 11-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sky News Video:
Kate Pictures Taken In Borneo Revealed-
Kate Pictures Taken In Borneo Revealed
Old 11-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think that's a pretty good summing up of the entire mess of the last 24 hrs Lady Gabrielle.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Another engagement for Kate this week.

Quote:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
The Duchess of Cambridge is to visit her old prep school, St Andrew's in Pangbourne, Berks, and open a new Astroturf pitch on Nov 30.
Quote:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
Kate will meet staff and pupils at her old school and the hockey team. She played hockey at St Andrew's during her time there from 1986-1995
Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

How exciting for Catherine and St Andrews. I'm sure she will enjoy going back to her old school and remembering her time there. I also think the school will enjoy having a former student and now the future Queen visit them.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Serene Highness

Its very exciting HRH is making more solo appearances!

Kate set to visit former school - MSN UK News
Old 11-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

We also have an appearance tomorrow Kate will open the new Treasures Gallery at the Natural History Museum, London. I'm just sorry that I'll have to miss all the fun. I'm going to have a procedure done, but once I wake up you better believe that the first thing I ask for will be my laptop so I can catch up with all the news and pictures. I'll try and see what I can find in terms of what time tomorrow's engagement is taking place.

ETA: I asked Richard
Old 11-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
We also have an appearance tomorrow Kate will open the new Treasures Gallery at the Natural History Museum, London. I'm just sorry that I'll have to miss all the fun. I'm going to have a procedure done, but once I wake up you better believe that the first thing I ask for will be my laptop so I can catch up with all the news and pictures. I'll try and see what I can find in terms of what time tomorrow's engagement is taking place.

ETA: I asked Richard
Thank you for the reminder, ghost ! I completely forgot about this event. Looking forward to seeing pictures and whatever else that will be shared.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Closed Thread