The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 2: February 2012-January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only person who thinks that there might be significance in Kate wearing the green dress to this engagement? She's at the Natural History Museum, and green is overwhelmingly the colour of nature.:flowers:

I'm a bit surprised about the lack of videos as well. Usually something like this gets enough coverage. Maybe in the morning, but then again, there will be another series of events that will involve this couple to concentrate on. Hopefully we'll get something at some point. I enjoy listening to Catherine speak. She's doing pretty well for someone who hasn't done any major public speaking until in the beginning of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've read about tonight's event, Catherine was not expected to speak - Lord Attenborough was. Because he couldn't attend, Catherine was asked to say a few words in his place.

If the media had expected her to speak then I think a video would be available but unless the museum have organised something I would be surprised if there was one.

Back to the Eighties! Kate references retro Diana with new fringe and retro dress
She may have been wearing an old dress, but the Duchess of Cambridge turned heads with a new haircut at the opening of the Natural History Museum’s Treasure exhibition in London last night. Kate's new look appears to have been inspired by the late Seventies and early Eighties, with a heavy parted fringe reminiscent of Farah Fawcett. But it was the combination of the new haircut and the retro silk green dress that brought to mind a more significant likeness: that of her husband's late mother, Princess Diana.

Is anyone else tired of seeing Kate holding her hands? I wish she would carry a clutch so she doesn't have to hold her hands so much. I swear she got out of the car holding her hands.

Last edited:
It's not always easy to figure out what to do with your hands.

It's not always easy to figure out what to do with your hands.

If you notice an number of royals do this hands held front or hands held in back thing (Phillip, Harry, Charles, etc.) I read once that this helps alleviate stress on the back while they do all that standing about on visits. It also makes them appear calm and makes for tidy pictures.

Is there any video available of her speech yet?
The 2nd link in Duke-of-Earl's post at #1666 contains a video.
The "speech", to call it that, is 6 to 7 seconds long.

Is anyone else tired of seeing Kate holding her hands? I wish she would carry a clutch so she doesn't have to hold her hands so much. I swear she got out of the car holding her hands.

I was taught to do this as a young child, as it precludes fidgeting. She's doing it right. Even a clutch is fidgitable.

I don't think she gave a speech, she merely uttered a four second opening statement.

The speech in full (from DukeandDuchessofCambridge.org)

Thank you Dr Dixon.
"Before I start, I would also like to send my very best wishes to Sir David. It is a great shame that he cannot be here this evening.‬‪

"It is a huge honour to be here tonight. The Natural History Museum has a very special place in the heart of this nation. ‬‪William and I are just two of millions of people who have passed through these doors, and marvelled at the spectacular wonders of the natural world, housed in this beautiful gallery.‬‪

"I care passionately about what this museum stands for. Being here tonight, seeing some of nature’s finest treasures, reminds me just how precious and awe inspiring the natural world is.

"That is why the opening of Treasures is so incredibly exciting. If it were ever needed, there is now even more reason to visit this wonderful museum. ‬‪ It is a real privilege for me to declare Treasures, in The Cadogan Gallery, officially open.‬‪‬‪‬‪"

I think she's improving quite a bit in her public speaking! She seems much less nervous than she used to and her words sound a lot less forced. I think with time, the Duchess may turn into quite a gifted public speaker.

I agree, she has the makings of a great public speaker. Whoever is working with her helping her hone her speaking skills is doing a great job.

This is crazy and grasping for something that is nothing. Are they going to say Kate is paying homage to her late mother-in-law when she gets pregnant? :rolleyes: You know, because Diana was pregnant too.

Oh, Duchess, how you made me laugh with that pithy remark!

I see The Countess of Wessex Patron, DEBRA, will also attend the ICAP Fundraising Day at 2 Broadgate, London on December 5th.

I wonder if Catherine & Sophie will show up the event at the sametime or at different times?

I think she's improving quite a bit in her public speaking! She seems much less nervous than she used to and her words sound a lot less forced. I think with time, the Duchess may turn into quite a gifted public speaker.

ITA...She's come quite a way since that first speech at EACH last Winter. I noticed Catherine didn't peek down at the notes as much as she the last two outings. That can only mean her confidence is growing and that's a wonderful sign. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom