The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
I don't get how they worked on the dress together since it was a runway piece and not a custom made piece.
Who is he supposed to have worked with?

Old 06-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Who is he supposed to have worked with?
The Telegraph article that ghost_night linked to contains an interview with Roland Mouret who says that he worked with Kate on the white evening dress she wore. He talks about how nice she was to work with, and that he enjoyed working with her etc. etc.

So clearly Kate didn't buy the dress off the shelf. She engaged with Mouret to tailor it to her specifications.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The Telegraph article that ghost_night linked to contains an interview with Roland Mouret who says that he worked with Kate on the white evening dress she wore. He talks about how nice she was to work with, and that he enjoyed working with her etc. etc.

So clearly Kate didn't buy the dress off the shelf. She engaged with Mouret to tailor it to her specifications.
Hmmm, I sense a lie. The Grazia article says he was so shocked she wore the dress. Someone is making a meal out of Catherine.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe he was misquoted? Maybe he didn't know when or where she would wear it, and I suppose there's a chance that she might've chosen never to wear it.

Rachel Trevor Morgan said at Royal Ascot the other she was surprised to see the Queen wear one of her hats on Ladies Day as she never knows when the Queen's going to wear them.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Hmm perhaps, the Grazia article even says Mouret didn't even know she owned the dress. I think i'll go with hindsight in this and say Roland is using the dress to get some publicity.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Please note that all posts regarding Catherine's order of precedence have been moved to Order of Precedence .

Thanks!

Zonk

Old 06-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess vows to follow in her husband's footsteps and spend a night on the street
Kate Middleton to sleep rough on streets of London for Centrepoint homeless campaign - Mirror Online
Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
The Duchess vows to follow in her husband's footsteps and spend a night on the street
Kate Middleton to sleep rough on streets of London for Centrepoint homeless campaign - Mirror Online
Very admirable! Will and Kate are very thoughtful and caring people!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
What benefit is there to someone like Kate, or William, or anyone famous sleeping with the homeless for a night? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand why this is a good thing. I can understand Diana taking William and Harry to an area where there are homeless to show them how some other people have to live. They we're young, they didn't understand something like homelessness until they saw it.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
What benefit is there to someone like Kate, or William, or anyone famous sleeping with the homeless for a night? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand why this is a good thing. I can understand Diana taking William and Harry to an area where there are homeless to show them how some other people have to live. They we're young, they didn't understand something like homelessness until they saw it.
Maybe just to see what it feels like and know even more how grateful they are. That's just my opinion.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I don't know if I believe this yet. It's just the one lady quoting Kate as saying, "You're on." I'll wait to hear it from the palace.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
I don't know if I believe this yet. It's just the one lady quoting Kate as saying, "You're on." I'll wait to hear it from the palace.
Well this lady is actually Centrepoint's ambassador so I doubt she'd be making it up. As for the benefit I member the huge coverage William got when he did it. I remember even my friends talking about it for weeks and saying how it was a cause that kinda slips to the back of your mind normally. Both myself and my friends also said how we hadn't realized how bad homelessness had gotten and that it was great people like William are out there trying to do what they can to raise awareness, as well as obviously open themselves to an experience that really makes you realize that you should be grateful even for the little things in life.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Well this lady is actually Centrepoint's ambassador so I doubt she'd be making it up. As for the benefit I member the huge coverage William got when he did it. I remember even my friends talking about it for weeks and saying how it was a cause that kinda slips to the back of your mind normally. Both myself and my friends also said how we hadn't realized how bad homelessness had gotten and that it was great people like William are out there trying to do what they can to raise awareness, as well as obviously open themselves to an experience that really makes you realize that you should be grateful even for the little things in life.
I think that's the point of doing something like this. If Catherine, William, or any other celebrity decides to sleep on the street for a good cause, it brings attention to the said cause, and raises the awareness of the public. It's sad to say that since I've moved to New York City, I started to view homelessness as something that's a part of being in a big urban center, and now when I see people sitting on the street with coffee cups and signs asking for help, I just walk on by, like everyone else. I'm not doing it because I'm heartless, but because I'm so used to seeing this on almost daily basis. When someone brings this issue to the forefront, we start thinking; 'wow, it'll be mighty uncomfortable sleeping on the pavement and not being able to use the facilities when necessary' or 'holy cow, it's freezing tonight and he/she will be out there on the street...very noble indeed'. Our brains start going and actually thinking about the issues some have to live with on daily basis, and it's because all of a sudden someone we've heard about in the news is taking part in something that perhaps should be looked at more carefully.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I think that's the point of doing something like this. If Catherine, William, or any other celebrity decides to sleep on the street for a good cause, it brings attention to the said cause, and raises the awareness of the public. It's sad to say that since I've moved to New York City, I started to view homelessness as something that's a part of being in a big urban center, and now when I see people sitting on the street with coffee cups and signs asking for help, I just walk on by, like everyone else. I'm not doing it because I'm heartless, but because I'm so used to seeing this on almost daily basis. When someone brings this issue to the forefront, we start thinking; 'wow, it'll be mighty uncomfortable sleeping on the pavement and not being able to use the facilities when necessary' or 'holy cow, it's freezing tonight and he/she will be out there on the street...very noble indeed'. Our brains start going and actually thinking about the issues some have to live with on daily basis, and it's because all of a sudden someone we've heard about in the news is taking part in something that perhaps should be looked at more carefully.
I live in Vancity and it's the exact same thing here. It's such a daily occurrence that I can't help but just keep walking whenever I see a homeless person. I try to give them a bit of change if I have some on me and don't need it for the ridiculous parking metres all around the city. Back in December a really nice homeless man came up to me at 7/11 and opened the door for me both when I entered and left. I felt terrible my head immediately went to William and Kate who had just visited Centrepoint the week before and I stopped and walked back towards the store and gave him the change I had received back from the cashier.It really reminds me of the lyrics from Mel C's song If That Were Me. If you've never heard it I suggest you listen, it really rings true.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know if I believe this story, but someone from a wealthy family living the life of the homeless can help give perspective. Actually people from middle class and upper middle class families can learn something as well. It can prompt someone to actually do something with their time or money.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As we've seen not only with William and Kate, but Harry also, this younger generation of royals are not content with just being spokespersons or figureheads with what they are involved with. Getting out there on the streets for Centrepoint not only draws the public attention to a very serious problem that faces people worldwide, but it also shows those that actually have to live on the streets that they've not been forgotten or their predicament ignored.

Speaking of songs, one that comes to mind is Ralph McTell's Streets of London. Those lyrics haunt me.

And have you seen the old man
Outside the seaman's mission
Memory fading with
The medal ribbons that he wears.
In our winter city,
The rain cries a little pity
For one more forgotten hero
And a world that doesn't care
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-29-2012, 05:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

If this happens, it'll be a stunt for publicity, just as it was when William did it. I'm not criticising when I say that; it's obvious that this would be a way of drawing the eyes of the world to this problem. Kate is probably the most reported on public figure in the world at the moment, so it makes sense to try and harness that to increase awareness and donations.

I'm a tad uncomfortable with it, as it could be interpreted as somewhat patronising for royals to take a night away from their enormous palaces, sleep on the street with bodyguards present at all times, and then be picked up by a Range Rover the following morning. But I suppose they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't see the point, I agree with EIIR it's for publicity but will it actually help anything? Did William's little visit actually change something?

I've had friends who have slept rough, really rough. But what made a difference was they personally helped their 'buddy' get off the streets into safe places and find jobs.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

William's sleeping rough did get Centrepoint a lot of media attention; I remember their Chief Exec appearing on several TV programmes at the time to talk about it. I visited their website at the time, which I doubt very much I would've done but for that. For Centrepoint to try and buy the column inches in the papers, the interviews on all the main TV news bulletins etc. etc. that William got them would've cost a fortune.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
William's sleeping rough did get Centrepoint a lot of media attention; I remember their Chief Exec appearing on several TV programmes at the time to talk about it. I visited their website at the time, which I doubt very much I would've done but for that. For Centrepoint to try and buy the column inches in the papers, the interviews on all the main TV news bulletins etc. etc. that William got them would've cost a fortune.
I find it odd that it is being told ahead of time. Wouldn't it have had more impact being told after for better impact. When William did it before was it announced before or after?

Closed Thread