The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #661  
Old 06-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
I don't get how they worked on the dress together since it was a runway piece and not a custom made piece.
Who is he supposed to have worked with?
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #662  
Old 06-24-2012, 05:13 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Who is he supposed to have worked with?
The Telegraph article that ghost_night linked to contains an interview with Roland Mouret who says that he worked with Kate on the white evening dress she wore. He talks about how nice she was to work with, and that he enjoyed working with her etc. etc.

So clearly Kate didn't buy the dress off the shelf. She engaged with Mouret to tailor it to her specifications.
__________________

  #663  
Old 06-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The Telegraph article that ghost_night linked to contains an interview with Roland Mouret who says that he worked with Kate on the white evening dress she wore. He talks about how nice she was to work with, and that he enjoyed working with her etc. etc.

So clearly Kate didn't buy the dress off the shelf. She engaged with Mouret to tailor it to her specifications.
Hmmm, I sense a lie. The Grazia article says he was so shocked she wore the dress. Someone is making a meal out of Catherine.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #664  
Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,658
Maybe he was misquoted? Maybe he didn't know when or where she would wear it, and I suppose there's a chance that she might've chosen never to wear it.

Rachel Trevor Morgan said at Royal Ascot the other she was surprised to see the Queen wear one of her hats on Ladies Day as she never knows when the Queen's going to wear them.
  #665  
Old 06-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,127
Hmm perhaps, the Grazia article even says Mouret didn't even know she owned the dress. I think i'll go with hindsight in this and say Roland is using the dress to get some publicity.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #666  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,332
Please note that all posts regarding Catherine's order of precedence have been moved to Order of Precedence .

Thanks!

Zonk
__________________
.

  #667  
Old 06-28-2012, 09:54 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,785
The Duchess vows to follow in her husband's footsteps and spend a night on the street
Kate Middleton to sleep rough on streets of London for Centrepoint homeless campaign - Mirror Online
  #668  
Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 PM
IloveCP's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: -, United States
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
The Duchess vows to follow in her husband's footsteps and spend a night on the street
Kate Middleton to sleep rough on streets of London for Centrepoint homeless campaign - Mirror Online
Very admirable! Will and Kate are very thoughtful and caring people!
  #669  
Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Duchess of Durham's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
The Duchess vows to follow in her husband's footsteps and spend a night on the street
Kate Middleton to sleep rough on streets of London for Centrepoint homeless campaign - Mirror Online
What benefit is there to someone like Kate, or William, or anyone famous sleeping with the homeless for a night? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand why this is a good thing. I can understand Diana taking William and Harry to an area where there are homeless to show them how some other people have to live. They we're young, they didn't understand something like homelessness until they saw it.
  #670  
Old 06-29-2012, 12:13 AM
IloveCP's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: -, United States
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
What benefit is there to someone like Kate, or William, or anyone famous sleeping with the homeless for a night? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand why this is a good thing. I can understand Diana taking William and Harry to an area where there are homeless to show them how some other people have to live. They we're young, they didn't understand something like homelessness until they saw it.
Maybe just to see what it feels like and know even more how grateful they are. That's just my opinion.
  #671  
Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 AM
csw csw is offline
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Columbus, United States
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
The Duchess vows to follow in her husband's footsteps and spend a night on the street
Kate Middleton to sleep rough on streets of London for Centrepoint homeless campaign - Mirror Online
I don't know if I believe this yet. It's just the one lady quoting Kate as saying, "You're on." I'll wait to hear it from the palace.
  #672  
Old 06-29-2012, 01:09 AM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
I don't know if I believe this yet. It's just the one lady quoting Kate as saying, "You're on." I'll wait to hear it from the palace.
Well this lady is actually Centrepoint's ambassador so I doubt she'd be making it up. As for the benefit I member the huge coverage William got when he did it. I remember even my friends talking about it for weeks and saying how it was a cause that kinda slips to the back of your mind normally. Both myself and my friends also said how we hadn't realized how bad homelessness had gotten and that it was great people like William are out there trying to do what they can to raise awareness, as well as obviously open themselves to an experience that really makes you realize that you should be grateful even for the little things in life.
  #673  
Old 06-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Well this lady is actually Centrepoint's ambassador so I doubt she'd be making it up. As for the benefit I member the huge coverage William got when he did it. I remember even my friends talking about it for weeks and saying how it was a cause that kinda slips to the back of your mind normally. Both myself and my friends also said how we hadn't realized how bad homelessness had gotten and that it was great people like William are out there trying to do what they can to raise awareness, as well as obviously open themselves to an experience that really makes you realize that you should be grateful even for the little things in life.
I think that's the point of doing something like this. If Catherine, William, or any other celebrity decides to sleep on the street for a good cause, it brings attention to the said cause, and raises the awareness of the public. It's sad to say that since I've moved to New York City, I started to view homelessness as something that's a part of being in a big urban center, and now when I see people sitting on the street with coffee cups and signs asking for help, I just walk on by, like everyone else. I'm not doing it because I'm heartless, but because I'm so used to seeing this on almost daily basis. When someone brings this issue to the forefront, we start thinking; 'wow, it'll be mighty uncomfortable sleeping on the pavement and not being able to use the facilities when necessary' or 'holy cow, it's freezing tonight and he/she will be out there on the street...very noble indeed'. Our brains start going and actually thinking about the issues some have to live with on daily basis, and it's because all of a sudden someone we've heard about in the news is taking part in something that perhaps should be looked at more carefully.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #674  
Old 06-29-2012, 04:08 AM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I think that's the point of doing something like this. If Catherine, William, or any other celebrity decides to sleep on the street for a good cause, it brings attention to the said cause, and raises the awareness of the public. It's sad to say that since I've moved to New York City, I started to view homelessness as something that's a part of being in a big urban center, and now when I see people sitting on the street with coffee cups and signs asking for help, I just walk on by, like everyone else. I'm not doing it because I'm heartless, but because I'm so used to seeing this on almost daily basis. When someone brings this issue to the forefront, we start thinking; 'wow, it'll be mighty uncomfortable sleeping on the pavement and not being able to use the facilities when necessary' or 'holy cow, it's freezing tonight and he/she will be out there on the street...very noble indeed'. Our brains start going and actually thinking about the issues some have to live with on daily basis, and it's because all of a sudden someone we've heard about in the news is taking part in something that perhaps should be looked at more carefully.
I live in Vancity and it's the exact same thing here. It's such a daily occurrence that I can't help but just keep walking whenever I see a homeless person. I try to give them a bit of change if I have some on me and don't need it for the ridiculous parking metres all around the city. Back in December a really nice homeless man came up to me at 7/11 and opened the door for me both when I entered and left. I felt terrible my head immediately went to William and Kate who had just visited Centrepoint the week before and I stopped and walked back towards the store and gave him the change I had received back from the cashier.It really reminds me of the lyrics from Mel C's song If That Were Me. If you've never heard it I suggest you listen, it really rings true.
  #675  
Old 06-29-2012, 04:26 AM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
I don't know if I believe this story, but someone from a wealthy family living the life of the homeless can help give perspective. Actually people from middle class and upper middle class families can learn something as well. It can prompt someone to actually do something with their time or money.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
  #676  
Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,675
As we've seen not only with William and Kate, but Harry also, this younger generation of royals are not content with just being spokespersons or figureheads with what they are involved with. Getting out there on the streets for Centrepoint not only draws the public attention to a very serious problem that faces people worldwide, but it also shows those that actually have to live on the streets that they've not been forgotten or their predicament ignored.

Speaking of songs, one that comes to mind is Ralph McTell's Streets of London. Those lyrics haunt me.

And have you seen the old man
Outside the seaman's mission
Memory fading with
The medal ribbons that he wears.
In our winter city,
The rain cries a little pity
For one more forgotten hero
And a world that doesn't care
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
  #677  
Old 06-29-2012, 05:35 AM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,658
If this happens, it'll be a stunt for publicity, just as it was when William did it. I'm not criticising when I say that; it's obvious that this would be a way of drawing the eyes of the world to this problem. Kate is probably the most reported on public figure in the world at the moment, so it makes sense to try and harness that to increase awareness and donations.

I'm a tad uncomfortable with it, as it could be interpreted as somewhat patronising for royals to take a night away from their enormous palaces, sleep on the street with bodyguards present at all times, and then be picked up by a Range Rover the following morning. But I suppose they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.
  #678  
Old 06-29-2012, 05:51 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,127
I don't see the point, I agree with EIIR it's for publicity but will it actually help anything? Did William's little visit actually change something?

I've had friends who have slept rough, really rough. But what made a difference was they personally helped their 'buddy' get off the streets into safe places and find jobs.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #679  
Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 AM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,658
William's sleeping rough did get Centrepoint a lot of media attention; I remember their Chief Exec appearing on several TV programmes at the time to talk about it. I visited their website at the time, which I doubt very much I would've done but for that. For Centrepoint to try and buy the column inches in the papers, the interviews on all the main TV news bulletins etc. etc. that William got them would've cost a fortune.
  #680  
Old 06-29-2012, 10:56 AM
MichelleQ2's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
William's sleeping rough did get Centrepoint a lot of media attention; I remember their Chief Exec appearing on several TV programmes at the time to talk about it. I visited their website at the time, which I doubt very much I would've done but for that. For Centrepoint to try and buy the column inches in the papers, the interviews on all the main TV news bulletins etc. etc. that William got them would've cost a fortune.
I find it odd that it is being told ahead of time. Wouldn't it have had more impact being told after for better impact. When William did it before was it announced before or after?
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: January 2014-February 2015 Zonk Current Events Archive 599 01-31-2015 10:01 PM
The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 3: January-December 2013 Zonk Current Events Archive 1034 01-01-2014 11:44 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat courtship crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events december 2015 duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece haldane kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles prince harken in canada princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess victoria fashion queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit from mexico state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises