The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Well this lady is actually Centrepoint's ambassador so I doubt she'd be making it up. As for the benefit I member the huge coverage William got when he did it. I remember even my friends talking about it for weeks and saying how it was a cause that kinda slips to the back of your mind normally. Both myself and my friends also said how we hadn't realized how bad homelessness had gotten and that it was great people like William are out there trying to do what they can to raise awareness, as well as obviously open themselves to an experience that really makes you realize that you should be grateful even for the little things in life.
I think that's the point of doing something like this. If Catherine, William, or any other celebrity decides to sleep on the street for a good cause, it brings attention to the said cause, and raises the awareness of the public. It's sad to say that since I've moved to New York City, I started to view homelessness as something that's a part of being in a big urban center, and now when I see people sitting on the street with coffee cups and signs asking for help, I just walk on by, like everyone else. I'm not doing it because I'm heartless, but because I'm so used to seeing this on almost daily basis. When someone brings this issue to the forefront, we start thinking; 'wow, it'll be mighty uncomfortable sleeping on the pavement and not being able to use the facilities when necessary' or 'holy cow, it's freezing tonight and he/she will be out there on the street...very noble indeed'. Our brains start going and actually thinking about the issues some have to live with on daily basis, and it's because all of a sudden someone we've heard about in the news is taking part in something that perhaps should be looked at more carefully.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I think that's the point of doing something like this. If Catherine, William, or any other celebrity decides to sleep on the street for a good cause, it brings attention to the said cause, and raises the awareness of the public. It's sad to say that since I've moved to New York City, I started to view homelessness as something that's a part of being in a big urban center, and now when I see people sitting on the street with coffee cups and signs asking for help, I just walk on by, like everyone else. I'm not doing it because I'm heartless, but because I'm so used to seeing this on almost daily basis. When someone brings this issue to the forefront, we start thinking; 'wow, it'll be mighty uncomfortable sleeping on the pavement and not being able to use the facilities when necessary' or 'holy cow, it's freezing tonight and he/she will be out there on the street...very noble indeed'. Our brains start going and actually thinking about the issues some have to live with on daily basis, and it's because all of a sudden someone we've heard about in the news is taking part in something that perhaps should be looked at more carefully.
I live in Vancity and it's the exact same thing here. It's such a daily occurrence that I can't help but just keep walking whenever I see a homeless person. I try to give them a bit of change if I have some on me and don't need it for the ridiculous parking metres all around the city. Back in December a really nice homeless man came up to me at 7/11 and opened the door for me both when I entered and left. I felt terrible my head immediately went to William and Kate who had just visited Centrepoint the week before and I stopped and walked back towards the store and gave him the change I had received back from the cashier.It really reminds me of the lyrics from Mel C's song If That Were Me. If you've never heard it I suggest you listen, it really rings true.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know if I believe this story, but someone from a wealthy family living the life of the homeless can help give perspective. Actually people from middle class and upper middle class families can learn something as well. It can prompt someone to actually do something with their time or money.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As we've seen not only with William and Kate, but Harry also, this younger generation of royals are not content with just being spokespersons or figureheads with what they are involved with. Getting out there on the streets for Centrepoint not only draws the public attention to a very serious problem that faces people worldwide, but it also shows those that actually have to live on the streets that they've not been forgotten or their predicament ignored.

Speaking of songs, one that comes to mind is Ralph McTell's Streets of London. Those lyrics haunt me.

And have you seen the old man
Outside the seaman's mission
Memory fading with
The medal ribbons that he wears.
In our winter city,
The rain cries a little pity
For one more forgotten hero
And a world that doesn't care
Old 06-29-2012, 05:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

If this happens, it'll be a stunt for publicity, just as it was when William did it. I'm not criticising when I say that; it's obvious that this would be a way of drawing the eyes of the world to this problem. Kate is probably the most reported on public figure in the world at the moment, so it makes sense to try and harness that to increase awareness and donations.

I'm a tad uncomfortable with it, as it could be interpreted as somewhat patronising for royals to take a night away from their enormous palaces, sleep on the street with bodyguards present at all times, and then be picked up by a Range Rover the following morning. But I suppose they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't see the point, I agree with EIIR it's for publicity but will it actually help anything? Did William's little visit actually change something?

I've had friends who have slept rough, really rough. But what made a difference was they personally helped their 'buddy' get off the streets into safe places and find jobs.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

William's sleeping rough did get Centrepoint a lot of media attention; I remember their Chief Exec appearing on several TV programmes at the time to talk about it. I visited their website at the time, which I doubt very much I would've done but for that. For Centrepoint to try and buy the column inches in the papers, the interviews on all the main TV news bulletins etc. etc. that William got them would've cost a fortune.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
William's sleeping rough did get Centrepoint a lot of media attention; I remember their Chief Exec appearing on several TV programmes at the time to talk about it. I visited their website at the time, which I doubt very much I would've done but for that. For Centrepoint to try and buy the column inches in the papers, the interviews on all the main TV news bulletins etc. etc. that William got them would've cost a fortune.
I find it odd that it is being told ahead of time. Wouldn't it have had more impact being told after for better impact. When William did it before was it announced before or after?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
If this happens, it'll be a stunt for publicity, just as it was when William did it. I'm not criticising when I say that; it's obvious that this would be a way of drawing the eyes of the world to this problem. Kate is probably the most reported on public figure in the world at the moment, so it makes sense to try and harness that to increase awareness and donations.

I'm a tad uncomfortable with it, as it could be interpreted as somewhat patronising for royals to take a night away from their enormous palaces, sleep on the street with bodyguards present at all times, and then be picked up by a Range Rover the following morning. But I suppose they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.
i agree 100%! but i think it ought to be the other way around, and have a news crew story of the homeless sleeping inside, instead! now that would be a story!!
"People are much like stained glass windows. When the sun is shining through them, they glow brightly and sparkle. But when the sun goes down and it is dark and gloomy outside; Their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Old 06-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I feel the same way. It's a gimmick but it's an effective one. William or Kate or any really well known person sleeping on the street for a night is going to get more attention than if they just visited the Centrepoint headquarters or had lunch with some homeless people, (although the truly indigent would no doubt prefer the lunch). More attention means more money.
The only thing that annoys me about these kinds of publicity set ups is when the famous person involved goes on and on about what a life changing event it was and how they understand now how rough life can be, blah blah blah. That's just dumb.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Courtier

Look like the media jump the gun as usual

Quote:
Catherine, Duchess Of Cambridge Has No Plan To Sleep Rough

Catherine, Duchess Of Cambridge Has No Plan To Sleep Rough | Contactmusic
Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I believe the first article had a quote from centre points chairman/woman? Where the article above is from contactmusic?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Courtier

The first article quote Lisa Maxwell who went on the talk show Loose Women today and said Kate said maybe. That what contact music was quoting. Lisa Maxwell on live TV
Old 06-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I agree; I find it pointless. And as you say, uncomfortable.

It's supposed to be a kind of "There but for the grace of God go I" which is another platitude I find annoying!

There I don't go, and neither does Kate! And pretending just seems condescending.
It's like in medieval times when the rich threw the poor the leftover scraps from their tables...it didn't make for some spiritual bond between them!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

She'd be smart, I think, not to do this. William already did it, made his point, and it's not necessary for a repeat performance by Kate. I think she can help the organization in other ways.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Serene Highness

Well if anyone cares about my opinion, I would like to see the other way around even for a night where the palace opens up a spot on the lawn with maybe a huge cover and some hot food and hot beverages given. THAT would truly be a story that would bring awareness not only to the homeless issue but to the fact that the BRF are willing to help those in need. After all, they are also the Queens people right. I think William and Catherine should think of doing something like that.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Majesty

So it was ok for William to do this but not Catherine, so it wasnT a publicity stunt for him? If she can understand it by being just told about it, then why not William? I don't get the difference.

the fact is an ambassador for the charity - who is also a Tv personality - has issued Catherine with a challenge. what was she supposed to do?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe
So it was ok for William to do this but not Catherine, so it wasnT a publicity stunt for him? If she can understand it by being just told about it, then why not William? I don't get the difference.

the fact is an ambassador for the charity - who is also a Tv personality - has issued Catherine with a challenge. what was she supposed to do?
There is no difference I personally think it was silly for William to go and it will be equally stupid for Catherine. I don't see what it gains but it is apparently perfect for publicity which the dire conditions of the homeless need.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Well if anyone cares about my opinion, I would like to see the other way around even for a night where the palace opens up a spot on the lawn with maybe a huge cover and some hot food and hot beverages given. THAT would truly be a story that would bring awareness not only to the homeless issue but to the fact that the BRF are willing to help those in need. After all, they are also the Queens people right. I think William and Catherine should think of doing something like that.
i agree 100% shift the paradigm
"People are much like stained glass windows. When the sun is shining through them, they glow brightly and sparkle. But when the sun goes down and it is dark and gloomy outside; Their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Old 06-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post

But then how do you get them to leave?
Remember Grammercy Park?

If you call the police, it looks like you are strong-arming poor desperate people.
If you don't, think of the mess.

The RF would be smart not to try this, imo. It's a lose-lose situation.

Closed Thread