The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Kate is most probably not present at the Garden Party. ITN has a video of it; at the beginning, you can see the royals on the top of stairs, including the Queen, Prince Philip, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent - but no sign of Kate.
Home - ITNSource News

Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent

So maybe it's the one on the 29th then?

Old 05-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Courtier

I read somewhere that apparently she is in anglesey. She was spotted at Tesco. I think we'll see her on the 29th one
Old 05-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Serene Highness

Have there been any photos of her there in Anglsey? Why would she be there? I thought they were still in London.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle
Have there been any photos of her there in Anglsey? Why would she be there? I thought they were still in London.
She'll be in Anglesey if William is back at work. There will be I photos because she's at home. We rarely get photos.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Serene Highness

Thats true. I thought they might still be in London. I forgot he had to go back to work. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd wager that she's planning her wardrobe for next weekend, which will be incredibly busy. William will just wear his favourite blue suit or military uniform as required. It's a bit more complicated for the ladies.

To be honest, I don't envy Kate having to plan outfits and hats for such divergent occasions as the Derby, sailing down the Thames, a huge pop concert in the evening, and a big church thanksgiving service. Also, if it's raining and windy, she may have to opt for different outfits. This is going to be beamed around the world; the biggest royal event for over 100 years; and Kate will be the person whose clothes choices will be critiqued the most. I'd say she's had a few new hats and outfits commissioned and tailored. I'd be incredibly surprised if she repeated an outfit she's worn previously, and I'm pretty sure she'll be liaising with the other royal ladies to make sure there are no colour clashes. Plus, she does all this by herself; she has no stylists or dressers like the European princesses do.

To be honest, I flaff about getting ready when I'm going to a wedding; something like this would make me utterly sick with worry. I'd be petrified of somehow letting the Queen down.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Plus, she does all this by herself; she has no stylists or dressers like the European princesses do.
To be honest, we have no idea what help she is or isn't getting but I would be surprised if she was left to sort it out herself. As this is a very, very important and highly publicised series of events she has no baseline as to what is acceptable wear for any of them. She does however have Camilla, Sophie and, for that matter, the Queen herself to tip her the nod as to what's what.

As to the European princesses? Well they are all either Crown Princesses by virtue of marriage and therefore already well schooled or, Crown Princess Victoria who has had her life to get it right!

And once again, Catherine is only the heir's heir and this is just one very momentous year. Next year she'll be laughing with far fewer "Momentous Occasions".
Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Nobility

While it's true that we have no real idea of how much assistance Kate is getting from various sources, it is generally accepted that she does not have a dedicated stylist/dresser. So she gets a lot of credit for turning up in the right outfit for the occasion, even if others have made some suggestions to her about what to wear, or what kind of outfit would be appropriate. After all, she apparently showed up with a 'mood board' when consulting people about her wedding, so she has definite and strong ideas about what she wears and how she looks.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:10 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal View Post
While it's true that we have no real idea of how much assistance Kate is getting from various sources, it is generally accepted that she does not have a dedicated stylist/dresser. So she gets a lot of credit for turning up in the right outfit for the occasion, even if others have made some suggestions to her about what to wear, or what kind of outfit would be appropriate. After all, she apparently showed up with a 'mood board' when consulting people about her wedding, so she has definite and strong ideas about what she wears and how she looks.
I hate to sound ignorant, but what on earth is a "mood board"?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
You don't sound ignorant at all. I have no clue what it is either. However, since I'm having trouble falling asleep, I thought I'd google it for my own curiosity. Here's what I found (and yes, since it's from Wikipedia, it may not be all that correct).

Mood board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:12 AM
Aristocracy

She may be getting help, or she may not be getting help on her dress and looks, she probaly doesnt see anything wrong with her clothes or hair. she may not like her haor pulled back, not everyone with long hair does. i like most of her clothes, i wish she would have more brighter clothes, but that just may not be her personality.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
To be honest, we have no idea what help she is or isn't getting but I would be surprised if she was left to sort it out herself. As this is a very, very important and highly publicised series of events she has no baseline as to what is acceptable wear for any of them. She does however have Camilla, Sophie and, for that matter, the Queen herself to tip her the nod as to what's what.

As to the European princesses? Well they are all either Crown Princesses by virtue of marriage and therefore already well schooled or, Crown Princess Victoria who has had her life to get it right!

And once again, Catherine is only the heir's heir and this is just one very momentous year. Next year she'll be laughing with far fewer "Momentous Occasions".
My point simply was that Kate does not employ a stylist or a dresser, which we know is a fact. She was given the option of 'borrowing' a dresser for the tour of Canada and the US last year, and she turned it down. So all her clothes choices are made by her and all the preparations for next weekend will be done by her. Given she receives way more international press coverage than any other princess in the UK or Europe, that has to be big pressure. She may only be the heir's heir's wife, but she's probably the most high profile royal in the world along with the Queen.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
My apologies, I should have explained more fully. If you go to Google Images and search for "Wedding mood board" you will see that it is merely a board with pictures, maybe fabric swatches, which shows the 'mood' that you are trying to create for whatever occasion you are planning for. It provides a visual representation to show others to demonstrate what you are trying to achieve.

You might add things as you go along - for example, after you had decided on the flowers, you might add photos of the color and type of flowers that you were having and then if you went to order the cake, those flowers or the color of the flowers might be replicated on the cake.

Creating a mood board is a highly personal thing, so I'm pretty sure that Kate created her own wedding mood board. We also know she knows a little bit about art. This, plus the fact that she does not have a dedicated stylist/dresser supports the idea that others here have put forward that a lot of how Kate looks, the colors she wears, the clothes and accessories she chooses, comes from directly from her. Yes, she may have input from others, or get suggestions from various sources, but it does appear that a lot of how she looks - her style - comes from her.

Edited to add link re: Kate using mood boards: http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2011/...rong_idea.html
Old 05-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Heir Apparent

This is almost like a story board created for visual conception of a plot used by writers in movies or television. Obviously, Kate leaves nothing to chance and is a very meticulous planner, so I wouldn't be surprised if she's driving her entire look with suggestions and support from others.

Thanks for the link, Daria.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Aristocracy

The Kate Middleton Look Book -- The Cut

Some gorgeous photos of Kate going back to 2005. Taken from the link above but don't know whether anyone clicked on the "look book".
Old 05-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Serene Highness

The look book is nice. A nice compilation of photos from the last year. She looks great in most of them.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Serene Highness

Great pictures, she is beautiful I like her clothes. Chic and simple.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Very nice retrospective of her past styles; I wouldn't mind seeing her wear some of those outfits today. There's a particular one of her in a limousine wearing a lovely black and beige print dress with a stunning sweetheart neckline; that's one of my favorites. Thank you, Mystiblue.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
You don't sound ignorant at all. I have no clue what it is either. However, since I'm having trouble falling asleep, I thought I'd google it for my own curiosity. Here's what I found (and yes, since it's from Wikipedia, it may not be all that correct).

Mood board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal View Post
My apologies, I should have explained more fully. If you go to Google Images and search for "Wedding mood board" you will see that it is merely a board with pictures, maybe fabric swatches, which shows the 'mood' that you are trying to create for whatever occasion you are planning for. It provides a visual representation to show others to demonstrate what you are trying to achieve.

You might add things as you go along - for example, after you had decided on the flowers, you might add photos of the color and type of flowers that you were having and then if you went to order the cake, those flowers or the color of the flowers might be replicated on the cake.

Creating a mood board is a highly personal thing, so I'm pretty sure that Kate created her own wedding mood board. We also know she knows a little bit about art. This, plus the fact that she does not have a dedicated stylist/dresser supports the idea that others here have put forward that a lot of how Kate looks, the colors she wears, the clothes and accessories she chooses, comes from directly from her. Yes, she may have input from others, or get suggestions from various sources, but it does appear that a lot of how she looks - her style - comes from her.

Edited to add link re: Kate using mood boards: Kate Middleton Had
Thanks. I understand now. I am quite clueless about this stuff. I will have been married 20 years this October and I did not use anything remotely like a "mood board". I just picked what I liked.

Of course, I didn't get married in front of billions of people.

Closed Thread