The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 2: February 2012-January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the first article had a quote from centre points chairman/woman? Where the article above is from contactmusic?

The first article quote Lisa Maxwell who went on the talk show Loose Women today and said Kate said maybe. That what contact music was quoting. Lisa Maxwell on live TV

I'm a tad uncomfortable with it, as it could be interpreted as somewhat patronising for royals to take a night away from their enormous palaces, sleep on the street with bodyguards present at all times, and then be picked up by a Range Rover the following morning. But I suppose they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I agree; I find it pointless. And as you say, uncomfortable.

It's supposed to be a kind of "There but for the grace of God go I" which is another platitude I find annoying!

There I don't go, and neither does Kate! And pretending just seems condescending.
It's like in medieval times when the rich threw the poor the leftover scraps from their tables...it didn't make for some spiritual bond between them! :ermm:

She'd be smart, I think, not to do this. William already did it, made his point, and it's not necessary for a repeat performance by Kate. I think she can help the organization in other ways.

Well if anyone cares about my opinion, I would like to see the other way around even for a night where the palace opens up a spot on the lawn with maybe a huge cover and some hot food and hot beverages given. THAT would truly be a story that would bring awareness not only to the homeless issue but to the fact that the BRF are willing to help those in need. After all, they are also the Queens people right. I think William and Catherine should think of doing something like that.

So it was ok for William to do this but not Catherine, so it wasnT a publicity stunt for him? If she can understand it by being just told about it, then why not William? I don't get the difference.

the fact is an ambassador for the charity - who is also a Tv personality - has issued Catherine with a challenge. what was she supposed to do?

cepe said:
So it was ok for William to do this but not Catherine, so it wasnT a publicity stunt for him? If she can understand it by being just told about it, then why not William? I don't get the difference.

the fact is an ambassador for the charity - who is also a Tv personality - has issued Catherine with a challenge. what was she supposed to do?

There is no difference I personally think it was silly for William to go and it will be equally stupid for Catherine. I don't see what it gains but it is apparently perfect for publicity which the dire conditions of the homeless need.

Well if anyone cares about my opinion, I would like to see the other way around even for a night where the palace opens up a spot on the lawn with maybe a huge cover and some hot food and hot beverages given. THAT would truly be a story that would bring awareness not only to the homeless issue but to the fact that the BRF are willing to help those in need. After all, they are also the Queens people right. I think William and Catherine should think of doing something like that.

i agree 100% shift the paradigm

But then how do you get them to leave?
Remember Grammercy Park?

If you call the police, it looks like you are strong-arming poor desperate people.
If you don't, think of the mess.

The RF would be smart not to try this, imo. It's a lose-lose situation.

But then how do you get them to leave?
Remember Grammercy Park?

If you call the police, it looks like you are strong-arming poor desperate people.
If you don't, think of the mess.

The RF would be smart not to try this, imo. It's a lose-lose situation.
I completely agree, it is really opening up a can worms that could end up to be a disaster.

Well Im not saying to do it everyday. Im saying maybe do this once a week. Let the homeless know that they have a comfortable place on the palace lawns in a designated area to go to where there will be good food and maybe comfortable cots to sleep on. There could be homeless volunteers who would be there to make sure no one wanders or gets in trouble. Rope an area off that is far enough away from the palace. You cant tell me there isnt enough room on the palace grounds to do this once a week. To me it would feel more sincere if it was done on a consistant basis. Anyone can sleep on the streets once. I think if the people knew this would be available to them on a weekly basis there would be less of a chance they would get out of hand. I dont know. Its just a thought. I just think it would be a great move on the part of the BRF who live in a palace where they are separated from the real world. They have so much and the place is so huge I dont see why they couldnt do this just once a week. Just my opinion.

I don't think the government or the City of London would be too impressed by such an effort as it would look like a political statement by the palace and the monarch.

I don't think the government or the City of London would be too impressed by such an effort as it would look like a political statement by the palace and the monarch.

Not to mention the other people and family who also have apartment at Kensington and people who have office space there. They might get sued and I think I would be 100% behind the people who sued them. And I say that as someone who used to volunteer at a homeless shelter.

LadyGabrielle said:
Well Im not saying to do it everyday. Im saying maybe do this once a week. Let the homeless know that they have a comfortable place on the palace lawns in a designated area to go to where there will be good food and maybe comfortable cots to sleep on. There could be homeless volunteers who would be there to make sure no one wanders or gets in trouble. Rope an area off that is far enough away from the palace. You cant tell me there isnt enough room on the palace grounds to do this once a week. To me it would feel more sincere if it was done on a consistant basis. Anyone can sleep on the streets once. I think if the people knew this would be available to them on a weekly basis there would be less of a chance they would get out of hand. I dont know. Its just a thought. I just think it would be a great move on the part of the BRF who live in a palace where they are separated from the real world. They have so much and the place is so huge I dont see why they couldnt do this just once a week. Just my opinion.

Considering any palace except Sandringham and Balmoral are effectively owned by the government I can joyously see them not allowing homeless people onto the grounds of some of the finest land and property in the world.

What would be a better idea for William and Catherine would be to create initiatives for homeless people to get off the streets, find job and lives for themselves with the help of the government.

Imagine the outcry you'd get if you stuck a shelter on the lawn of the white house.

I wonder if you realise how many homeless people there are in the UK? And how manage of them would descend on whichever palace you choose when they heard there was food and sleeping arrangements on a weekly basis, it's totally unrealistic.

Instead of sleeping rough, I would prefer that they helped out at the food kitchens/mobile food stations that the Salvation Army and (I think) Centrepoint undertake. I know that sleeping out raises the profile of the charity and increases cash contributions but direct assistance gives a good message and might increase the actual numbers of volunteers.

Instead of sleeping rough, I would prefer that they helped out at the food kitchens/mobile food stations that the Salvation Army and (I think) Centrepoint undertake. I know that sleeping out raises the profile of the charity and increases cash contributions but direct assistance gives a good message and might increase the actual numbers of volunteers.

This idea certainly makes more sense to me.

And to me as well. William and Kate should use their popularity and visibility in other ways to bring focus on the plight of the homeless.

They did that last year but everyone was more interested in talking about how depressing Catherine dress was and William dancing. Why are people still talking about this like she's going to do it when Lisa Maxwell said Catherine never said she would do it on TV?

Inviting homeless people to 'camp out' at Buckingham Palace would be even more of a stunt than Will and Kate sleeping rough. I can just see the headlines now, 'Royals invite homeless to sleep in BP garden and turf them all out again the next morning'.

My mum worked for 30 years in social housing and she said the causes of homelessness tend to be addiction to alcohol and/or drugs, and teenage kids running away from home. She told me that the homeless in our area were well known to the local housing association and that at some point each of them have been provided with social housing. More often than not however, the formerly homeless would leave the housing, because they don't want to settle in one place or have become so used to sleeping rough that they go back to it.

Homelessness will never be eradicated until we address the problems of addiction and family breakdown. The royals support lots of organisations who try and break this cycle, and it was so good to see that Kate chose an addiction charity as one of her first patronages.

I'm just gonna throw in my two cents in here. Normally I'm one who keeps hush with things like these but I really don't like when people say it's a PR stunt. Personally from what I've seen in the last few years from William Kate and Harry is that they do genuinely care about their charities and do want to try and make a difference in whatever way they can. Obviously they alone cannot fix all these problems but I do feel that they pull from these experiences such as sleeping on the streets and I never truly saw it as a PR stunt nor did I find it stupid. It's like if they go out there sleep on the street it's a PR stunt if they don't and do other types of events for the charities people(not necessarily here just in general)then accuse them of not caring enough, it's like how can they win they just can't really.

Homelessness will never be eradicated until we address the problems of addiction and family breakdown. The royals support lots of organisations who try and break this cycle, and it was so good to see that Kate chose an addiction charity as one of her first patronages.

Which is why I was so happy to see the Duchess choose Action on Addiction as one of her charities. She seems to understand why it's an important issue.

I'm just gonna throw in my two cents in here. Normally I'm one who keeps hush with things like these but I really don't like when people say it's a PR stunt. Personally from what I've seen in the last few years from William Kate and Harry is that they do genuinely care about their charities and do want to try and make a difference in whatever way they can. Obviously they alone cannot fix all these problems but I do feel that they pull from these experiences such as sleeping on the streets and I never truly saw it as a PR stunt nor did I find it stupid. It's like if they go out there sleep on the street it's a PR stunt if they don't and do other types of events for the charities people(not necessarily here just in general)then accuse them of not caring enough, it's like how can they win they just can't really.

It is a PR stunt because that's what William learned when he was growing up and that is what I have seen him reach for. In no way can someone at their social/wealth rank spend such a night without considerable risk to themselves - and great expense to others - hence it will not really be what a homeless person experiences. No more than William's going to an amusement park when he was young being photographed by a phalanx of photographers - was 'normal'.

Basically, it will be like camping out except on some dirty pavement that's been spat upon and maybe urinated on under a bridge, in a park on a park bench, again where animals have likely done their business - with bodyguards and police around. Kate can just use her imagination. There is far more than addiction and runaways - there are seriously mentally ill people - and the reality is cold, wet, dirty, smelly, hand-to-mouth, day-in-day-out - dealing with hostile police, property owners and everyday pedestrians, not to mention other homeless people that can be dangerous. I am admittedly painting the harshest picture - there is another side to it - which one night on a heating grate will not appraise one of.

Get caught in an airport during some emergency and you'll get the drift of what it's like to not have access to a bed, a toilet, a proper shower, food, water., etc.

It's a political statement if the homeless are allowed on the palace grounds? Interesting idea. The system isn't working - bare bald fact of it. There is no excuse that some of our number are forced out onto the streets to live, to panhandle, to beg. As long as we are in societies whose rationales are based on ownership - we will have the dispossessed - and the conundrum of what to do with them when they no longer are of use to anyone.

The questions are large, indeed, that William - and Kate - are purported to be interested in. If I see him - them - honestly and courageously really studying the issues - maybe attending some post graduate courses in economics, sociology and political theory - really looking at how things work - I might start being impressed with his - their - sincerity. But popping down to the homeless shelter for a photo-op? Nope, doesn't do it.

Last edited:
It's a political statement if the homeless are allowed on the palace grounds? Interesting idea. .

Very much a political statement. The palaces are the property of the state. For the monarchy to open up the property to the homeless (which would incude alcoholics, drug addicts, the mentally ill etc) would put those properties and their occupants (not only royals) at risk but would also be seen as interferring in something that is a political as well as a social issue. It would look like the monarchy would be highlighting what some say are failed government policies. Politics is something a constitutional monarch stays away from.

What would happen if these homeless people decided they didn't want to leave the next day? It would be like the Occupied Movement last fall, hard to get rid of and embaressing to everyone.

Tyger said:
It is a PR stunt because that's what William learned when he was growing up and that is what I have seen him reach for. In no way can someone at their social/wealth rank spend such a night without considerable risk to themselves - and great expense to others - hence it will not really be what a homeless person experiences. No more than William's going to an amusement park when he was young being photographed by a phalanx of photographers - was 'normal'.

Basically, it will be like camping out except on some dirty pavement that's been spat upon and maybe urinated on under a bridge, in a park on a park bench, again where animals have likely done their business - with bodyguards and police around. Kate can just use her imagination. There is far more than addiction and runaways - there are seriously mentally ill people - and the reality is cold, wet, dirty, smelly, hand-to-mouth, day-in-day-out - dealing with hostile police, property owners and everyday pedestrians, not to mention other homeless people that can be dangerous. I am admittedly painting the harshest picture - there is another side to it - which one night on a heating grate will not appraise one of.

Get caught in an airport during some emergency and you'll get the drift of what it's like to not have access to a bed, a toilet, a proper shower, food, water., etc.

It's a political statement if the homeless are allowed on the palace grounds? Interesting idea. The system isn't working - bare bald fact of it. There is no excuse that some of our number are forced out onto the streets to live, to panhandle, to beg. As long as we are in societies whose rationales are based on ownership - we will have the dispossessed - and the conundrum of what to do with them when they no longer are of use to anyone.

The questions are large, indeed, that William - and Kate - are purported to be interested in. If I see him - them - honestly and courageously really studying the issues - maybe attending some post graduate courses in economics, sociology and political theory - really looking at how things work - I might start being impressed with his - their - sincerity. But popping down to the homeless shelter for a photo-op? Nope, doesn't do it.

In regards to William sleeping rough for a night, IMO I think most saw that for what it was - an opportunity for him to get an idea of what it's like to sleep on the street like a homeless person, not necessarily to recreate the homeless experience. He did this to raise awareness for homelessness, and that, to me, is all he needs to do. I don't think he or Kate need to take any post grad courses or anything of the like to prove sincerity. Nice if they would, but I probably wouldn't give much thought to it even if they did. To me, they have loads of requests for patronages and demands on their time (William more so), and the fact that they have selected these charities (after what I can only guess would have been some careful deliberation) is enough for me. I don't expect them to know everything. I just expect them to surround themselves with good liasons within the charities to help them know what they need to know. If the charities are happy with their patronage, there's not much more to be asked of them.

Based on the number of posts on this topic it would seem that just the idea of Catherine or William sleeping on the streets raised the profile of the homeless issue. Be honest with yourselves, before this topic came up how much time did you spend even thinking about the homeless or possible solutions/aid for the homeless?

Touche. You hit that right on the head. I suppose this subject has caused a stir. My apologies for that. I was just trying out to figure a way for the BRF to be more involved. Making appearances and sleeping with the homeless for a night is not the answer. Now working in a shelter, feeding the homeless a few days a week or spending time talking with them, thats different. I agree that would probably be better than having them camp out on the palace lawns. I just wish more could be done for these people in need. Of course my mother ( rest her soul ) would tell me that it is up to all of us to help when we can by giving what we can.

Unfortunately, a certain percent of the homeless do not want to be helped, or are too memtally ill to be helped. We have a very good homeless shelter in our town, no one is turned away. During the day they try helping with job training, budgeting, etc. but some refuse to try. Some do get into permanent housing, but year to year the numbers do not decline. Our town is only 125,000 and if we are unable to make progress, I can't imagine the mountain in a large city like, London, New York, Los Angeles.

Last edited:
Look, you also have to consider what their roles are and how they can do the most good. Think about it- when William does things for Centrepoint, he helps bring in a TON of donations, which go towards expanding services.

But if he started working the lines at the food kitchen? It would actually interrupt services. The hoard of photographers would probably get out of control, and it could seriously disturb and bother some people who already have fragile mental health. Plus, it could get exploitative very quickly- having pictures of the people there for services broadcasted day after day.

William and Kate (and the rest of the Royal Family) have very unique roles. I think they try to do good with them, but they have to be realistic about what those roles are for them to be able to accomplish anything.

The Palace has denied the rumors about Kate sleeping on the streets with the homeless.

"There are no plans for the Duchess to sleep out for Centrepoint," the spokesperson tells PEOPLE. "She doesn't have any official role with Centrepoint, but will obviously continue to support the Duke in his patronage of the charity.

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_20608016,00.html

Also, Lisa Maxwell (the source for the original rumor) was on some U.K. talk show and reiterated that there were no plans for Kate to do it. She said the two of them were discussing William's participation and when she asked Kate about doing it too, Kate said, "Well, maybe".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom