The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 2: February 2012-January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:I'm glad you got the joke.:lol: However, my "silly" comments are nothing more than innuendos encouraged by constant insinuating that the Duchess of Cambridge will in one way or another make a fool of herself performing royal duties thus ratifying individuals' opinions of her not being acceptable as a member of the royal family. Just my own SILLY opinion.

Many people would say, that to not do royal engagements is enough to make Catherine look foolish. We all have our opinions, Catherine performing an engagement is nothing out of the ordinary because that's what she is meant to do now.

Could you point me to some posts that insinuate that Catherine will "in one way or another make a fool of herself"? I have read many that suggest that her lack of engagements up until now shows that she's lazy and not willing to do her job. But I have seen none that suggest she will make a fool of herself?

Last edited:
Many people would say, that to not do royal engagements is enough to make Catherine look foolish. We all have our opinions, Catherine performing an engagement is nothing out of the ordinary because that's what she is meant to do now.

Could you point me to some posts that insinuate that Catherine will "in one way or another make a fool of herself"? I have read many that suggest that her lack of engagements up until now shows that she's lazy and not willing to do her job. But I have seen none that suggest she will make a fool of herself?

I'm not a big fan of Kate, but would never wish her to be involved in a "FOOLISH" moment. I don't think there is a snowball's chance in Hades that she would intentionally turn foolish while she's at work.

:previous:Have a look at this...

She looked good, but then she should. She performed well for her first real solo engagement, but again I would expect her to after the amount of time she's had to practice. We'll see what liverpool brings.

...:ermm:

What does this comment insinuate? She "performed well" because of the "amount of time she's had to practice. We'll see what [L]iverpool brings." Fair point. Nevertheless, in regards to Liverpool how will you know if she has done enough preparation? What is the sign of the proper amount of time to practice? What to look for as a display of preparedness or a lack of such. Hence anticipation, hence innuendos. Would it be a mistake then to insinuate that individuals disappointed with the performance of the duchess will attribute it to a lack of preparation? I doubt that the attribution by those individuals will be associated with scholarship, therefore foolishness. Once again I offer in my humble opinion, on this entertaining and informing forum.:D

Last edited:
I think she will be fine in Liverpool. Are there speeches involved? If so, there may be a gaffe, but that would be expected, unaccustomed as she is to public speaking.

How can she become foolish if she's just nodding, saying a short sentence and shaking hands?

Lumutqueen is right, she has had time to look good and to be able to overcome any qualms about mingling amongst the people. One can always tell when she's nervous (unless the wind is blowing) as she always fiddles with that annoying hair.

She's not perfect, and she's not going to be sacked if she fluffs something. If she fluffs too much, she may be relieved of her duties (which she might like very much).

As the amount, intensity and involvement of Kate's public appearances increase, so could the prospect of signs of nervousness, especially when she gives her first speech. Hopefully, no one wishes to see the Duchess display any major gaffe, but the unexpected can always happen despite the amount of preparedness. It's human nature. There's a saying, "Man prepares and the Lord laughs." You never know what could happen, but how well she masters any unexpected event and takes control of a situation that could go awry is the sign of confidence and poise. Kate strikes me as a woman who can handle just about anything, whether scripted or not.

Last edited:
I'm soooo hoping that she does a really bang up job with her first speech. It seems many people are just waiting for her to fall on her "keister", figuratively speaking of course. I am amused at those who think she is doing "nothing". She is the wife of the heir to the heir and that's it ... along with being a newly wed in a situation that has to be stressful. I would love to see those who are so critical in her place for a period of time and see how they perform. She is William's wife and that's it at this point. She has presented herself well and not faltered. She has looked lovely and been gracious in all situations. What more do people expect of her at this point in time and just why should they expect more? I don't really get it that people appear so eager to see her make some major gaffe. It's a puzzle ........
As to her not "working", she comes from a wealthy family, she is no different in her job experience that the myriad young men who seem to open an "art gallery" in London to appear as though they are productive. It's amazing the lifestyle some of those people can maintain .... one has to wonder just how many pieces of art they have had to sell to manage that. It appears that people want Catherine to fit into "their" set of standards, which for the most part are middle class standards and Catherine is not middle class, at least by American standards. Not to mention that middle class people work usually because they need to.

Nevertheless, in regards to Liverpool how will you know if she has done enough preparation? What is the sign of the proper amount of time to practice?

How will I know? She'll behave exactly as she did at the exhibit, hopefully with a bit more confidence as the 'first one is out the way'. Someone obviously thinks Catherine has had enough time to prepare, as she's been allowed out into the big wide world on her own, without her loving husband to shield her.

What to look for as a display of preparedness or a lack of such. Hence anticipation, hence innuendos. Would it be a mistake then to insinuate that individuals disappointed with the performance of the duchess will attribute it to a lack of preparation? I doubt that the attribution by those individuals will be associated with scholarship, therefore foolishness. Once again I offer in my humble opinion, on this entertaining and informing forum.:D

As for these questions, I am not an expert on someone's behaviour, I cannot tell what to look for in a person to see whether they are prepared or not. In this case, being prepared for the event probably refers to knowing the correct background information, getting everyone's name right, and delivering whatever lines you have correctly. If Catherine does this on Tuesday, then again she will have performed well just like she should.
There is no reason for her to be unprepared, when she has had numerous months to prepare.
If Catherine does potentially look foolish perhaps by fluffing up her lines, or calling the wrong person by the wrong name then some people may put it down to nerves or some may attribute it to being unprepared, everyone has their own opinions of course. I would attribute it to being unprepared.

Your humble opinion might I add, is a little aggressive. Perhaps being open to both sides of the story will enlighten your opinion. :)

As the amount, intensity and involvement of Kate's public appearances increase, so could the prospect of signs of nervousness, especially when she gives her first speech. Hopefully, no one wishes to see the Duchess display any major gaffe, but the unexpected can always happen despite the amount of preparedness. It's human nature. There's a saying, "Man prepares and the Lord laughs." You never know what could happen, but how well she masters any unexpected event and takes control of a situation that could go awry is the sign of confidence and poise. Kate strikes me as a woman who can handle just about anything, whether scripted or not.

I agree with your assessment here. Giving speeches and doing public appearances are similar to being in a classroom. You spent time creating a lesson plan, and then, when you're teaching the said lesson, things that you didn't count happen. It happened to me during an observation, and I almost ran out of the room, because I was so upset with kids' atrocious behavior. Everything that could have gone wrong did, and one of the things my advisor and cooperating teacher told me was to always expect the unexpected and when it occurs, just act as if it's part of the routine and adapt the lesson on the spot. No need for the kids to know that something went wrong, because they'll use it to their advantage and continue to disrupt and not pay attention. I think Catherine is as prepared as she's going to be, because after a while, the only 'preparation' that is left is actually going out and practicing what you have learned/observed (something I was scared and reluctant to do during student teaching and both, my advisor and cooperating teacher had to simply give me no choice but to go in front of that classroom and teach). It's scary, but unfortunately needs to be done. Catherine has handled her first solo engagement well, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her venturing on her own. If there are blunders, that's all right. She's human, and will make mistakes, then learn from them and do things differently next time.

I'm soooo hoping that she does a really bang up job with her first speech. It seems many people are just waiting for her to fall on her "keister", figuratively speaking of course. I am amused at those who think she is doing "nothing". She is the wife of the heir to the heir and that's it ... along with being a newly wed in a situation that has to be stressful. I would love to see those who are so critical in her place for a period of time and see how they perform. She is William's wife and that's it at this point. She has presented herself well and not faltered. She has looked lovely and been gracious in all situations. What more do people expect of her at this point in time and just why should they expect more? I don't really get it that people appear so eager to see her make some major gaffe. It's a puzzle ........
As to her not "working", she comes from a wealthy family, she is no different in her job experience that the myriad young men who seem to open an "art gallery" in London to appear as though they are productive. It's amazing the lifestyle some of those people can maintain .... one has to wonder just how many pieces of art they have had to sell to manage that. It appears that people want Catherine to fit into "their" set of standards, which for the most part are middle class standards and Catherine is not middle class, at least by American standards. Not to mention that middle class people work usually because they need to.

Well said! The cattiness and pettiness regarding Catherine's involvement and what have you really has to stop. She's doing what she can, and is now at the stage when she's ready to step out solo. I think if she did so earlier, the experience would not have been necessarily positive.

I think she will be fine in Liverpool. Are there speeches involved? If so, there may be a gaffe, but that would be expected, unaccustomed as she is to public speaking.

I read somewhere a couple of days ago (don't remember where) that her first speaking engagement will be in Liverpool on Tuesday. Let's wish her luck. Public speaking is high on the list of phobias. Few people feel comfortable giving speeches, and I doubt anyone giving their first one isn't at least a little nervous.

One can always tell when she's nervous (unless the wind is blowing) as she always fiddles with that annoying hair.
Why do you find her hair annoying? I think it's beautiful, and always well-groomed.

I read somewhere a couple of days ago (don't remember where) that her first speaking engagement will be in Liverpool on Tuesday. Let's wish her luck. Public speaking is high on the list of phobias. Few people feel comfortable giving speeches, and I doubt anyone giving their first one isn't at least a little nervous.

Why do you find her hair annoying? I think it's beautiful, and always well-groomed.

I hope she does well. She has a very pleasant speaking voice, as well as good diction. Speaking in front of people is extremely nerve-wrecking, so it'll be understandable if she fiddles with her hair just a little before she goes up to deliver her speech. I think she'll do well. She's a confident and capable young woman, who has been in very good hands when it came to her training. Now, it's time to put that training to practice, and that's not easy. Good luck to Catherine.

I will look forward to the Duchesses' video of her speech, and wish her all the best of luck.

Side note- if it hair fiddling bothered DoCam that much, she would wear it up to avoid the habit. Obviously she considers "hair down" one of her best physical assets, however I feel she would be just a beautiful with shorter locks.

Yes public speaking can make someone feel rather nervous. I think she probably has been practicing for this event for a little bit. She is a confident woman and I think she will do great. I cant wait to hear her speech as well. Good luck to Catherine. :)

Kate has 2 new engagements coming up. On March 1st she'll join the Queen and Camilla for an engagement in Piccadilly. On March 8th she'll join the Queen & Prince Philip in Leicester.

RoyalReporter Richard Palmer
The Duchess of Cambridge will undertake her first official engagement with the Queen and Duchess of Cornwall at Fortnum & Mason on March 1.
RoyalReporter Richard Palmer

Kate will also join the Queen and Prince Philip on official duties in Leicester on March 8, Buckingham Palace has announced.
Kate, Queen Elizabeth, Camilla at London Tea : People.com

Last edited:
There's going to be one happy little girl (and other kids) at the Alder Hey's Children's Hospital tomorrow. I'm happy to see that Catherine is spending her Valentine's Day sharing herself with those who need love and support. To me, that's the point of the holiday to begin with. Really looking forward to the pictures, videos and whatever else we may get from tomorrow's events.

Kate Middleton to meet sick children at Liverpool hospital - Telegraph

So I'm hearing that for sure they want people at the hospital in place by 7:30am EST which would be 4:30am PST but she has another one prior to that so it would prob be around 2:00am-3:00am PST /5:00am-6:00am EST

ClarenceHouse 3 mins 5 secs ago Twitter
A cupcake to be presented by 8yr-old Jaqson to The Duchess of Cambridge when visiting The Brink in #Liverpool yfrog.com/0femrkj

It's almost 2:30am here and I really can't hold on anymore and I'm getting zero updates right now so I'mma head to bed I'm sorry I couldn't stay up longer, dumb time difference

Last edited:
Kate is at The Brink and has just been made a 'Duchess' smoothie, created in her honour. She's just had a sip and seemed to enjoy it. Lots of laughing with the volunteers and she seems to be pretty relaxed.

She's wearing a chocolate brown coat with a darker brown turtleneck jumper underneath. Her hair is down which will no doubt annoy lots of people here.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...ves-at-liverpool-charity-news-photo/138936742
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...ts-liverpool-charity-the-news-photo/138936749

Paul Harrison from Sky News said he overheard Kate telling one of the volunteers that William got her a Valentine's Day card before he left. Possibly flowers too.

Paul Harrison from Sky News said he overheard Kate telling one of the volunteers that William got her a Valentine's Day card before he left. Possibly flowers too.

How sweet! Nothing too over the top.

Last edited:
Well, Kate didn't wear red but she certainly got a lot of red roses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom