The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:22 AM
Courtier

How Kate is being trained to be the perfect Royal | Mail Online

Old 03-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Now that's an interesting article. I wonder how much talk about the "minor adjustments" to Kate's image is true. For one thing, I never considered her to play to the camera.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books
Now that's an interesting article. I wonder how much talk about the "minor adjustments" to Kate's image is true. For one thing, I never considered her to play to the camera.
No, in fact, I think she should stop a moment for the cameras when on official engagements. Catherine seems to be adjusting enormously well if these recent engagements are any indication. I can't wait for William to return now and see them together again....I imagine him in the Falklands checking some of our same websites to catch the news of his wife in pictures.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Nobility

I remember that on twitter some photographers were complaining that she doesn't look at the cameras so it's hard to have pictures of her straight on. So I guess she can't win either way. Personally, I don't think she caters to the cameras at all.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I think this is DM again trying to stir the pot. Catherine is not an attention hog, so I don't know why she would be encouraged to not look at the cameras. From what I've seen, she does her best to direct attention away from herself by dressing modestly, and making sure the cause she's supporting gets a decent exposure. The fact that the photographer decided to zoom in up her skirt is not her fault, so her wearing a hemline that's a little bit shorter is not 'asking for attention', in my opinion. I hope little to no adjustments are made, because William gave her the best advice; to be herself, and she's following it to a tee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
No, in fact, I think she should stop a moment for the cameras when on official engagements. Catherine seems to be adjusting enormously well if these recent engagements are any indication. I can't wait for William to return now and see them together again....I imagine him in the Falklands checking some of our same websites to catch the news of his wife in pictures.
I'm looking forward to seeing them together as well, and would love to see more shots of her during her engagements. Though I do enjoy the candid shots we get of her. They're quite lovely,

Quote:
Originally Posted by regardez View Post
I remember that on twitter some photographers were complaining that she doesn't look at the cameras so it's hard to have pictures of her straight on. So I guess she can't win either way. Personally, I don't think she caters to the cameras at all.
No, she can't win no matter what she does. I think the best thing for her is to just do what she has been doing, because on the big scheme of things, it's working, and people are loving seeing her out and about. She's adjusting very well to her new role. If one didn't know, it would appear that she has been doing this her entire life.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Aren't Richard Kay and Geoffrey Levy huge Diana fans? I have a funny feeling this is where this story about 'adjustments' is coming from. I think some lovers of Diana are surprised, and somewhat put out, that Kate has done so well, so quickly. The public have really taken to her as well, in a way that I think some thought only Diana could manage.

Of course there'll have to be tweaks for anyone starting a new life, let alone one in the spotlight. But, I feel that Kate has huge appeal, has started incredibly well and, more importantly, as we saw at Fortnum and Mason, she knows that when it comes to royal females she's 3rd in the pecking order and conducts herself accordingly.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I don't know about Geoffrey Levy, but Richard Kay is a die-hard Diana fan. He never misses the opportunity to praise her and criticise Charles and/or Camilla. Notice the cheap shots aimed at the Duchess of Cornwall in that article as well.

A lot of Diana supporters didn't think anyone would ever replace her in people's hearts. And as a matter of fact, I don't think Kate has; she is a self-assured woman who tried to find her own place in the royal family and as a working royal - not copy the late Diana, Princess of Wales in every imaginable way, as some people would want. I daresay the fact the Duchess of Cambridge appears to be quite close to her step-mother-in-law doesn't go well with Richard Kay & Co either.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Ah, there's always an agenda, isn't there? Some factions just can't stand Kate's, and also Camilla's, popularity and will do what they can to undermine them.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldn't say that she's at Diana levels of hysteria, and personally I hope we never see anything like it again. But, people have really taken to her, the interest in her is huge from right across the world and I think for some Diana fanatics (although not all I'm sure) that's just difficult to take.

Kate seems to have fitted into the royal family in a way that Diana never seemed to manage. Which is odd if you think about it because Diana's background was much more in keeping with the royals' and Diana of course knew them to a certain extent for years.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Serene Highness

You know its funny because as far as I have noticed Catherine doesn't seem to hide from the cameras at all. She gives the media plenty of opportunity to have pictures of her. She isn't an attention hog but seems to realize that she is at the top of the list at the moment for everyone wanting as many photos as they can get. She is more than compliant with the media in my opinion.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Courtier

It is an interesting article - but more for its focus on Diana than anything else. Yes, both Levy and Kay were (and clearly still are) huge Diana fans.

Kate is her own person, she seems to be managing very well doing things her way. She is a young and modern woman who dresses far more modestly than many women of her age. Although I hate the focus on her clothes and pay very little attention to them, I don't recall any standing out as being inappropriate.

These endless comparisons with someone who died 15 years ago do neither woman any favours and just show how stuck in the past the authors of the article are.

To me the purpose of the piece appears simply to have another go at Prince Charles and to repeat, ad nauseum, Diana's version of her unhappy marriage - which Kay and Levy have managed very successfully while dressing it up as an article about Kate.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
JazCummins ‏ @JazCummins Just saw Kate Middleton! Leaving the @v_and_a museum of childhood outside our house. LOTS of hovering security. That livened up breakfast :)
Interesting surprise appearance today
Old 03-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
[URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/JazCummins"]

I hope she had a pleasant visit. I'd love to go to that museum one day.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Serene Highness

Richard Kay appear rather b*tchy, IMO. I saw him doing an interview not too long ago and he was criticizing William and commenting about his desire for privacy. RK still basks in the glow of Diana (and his special relationship with her) and is IMO a sh*t stirrer. From all appearances these three ladies seem to get along quite well and pleasantly. Of course, "pleasant" does not make for news.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Serene Highness

In SoCal, "playing to the camera" doesn't actually mean that one looks at the camera (one may still treat cameras with disdain) but merely that one is aware at all times that one might be photographed and keeps that awareness as part of one's personality. For example, one might wish to be seen talking with children or playing with pets, consistently. One always has a ready smile (that's "playing to the camera" here). The smile is usually somewhat practiced, etc.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
In SoCal, "playing to the camera" doesn't actually mean that one looks at the camera (one may still treat cameras with disdain) but merely that one is aware at all times that one might be photographed and keeps that awareness as part of one's personality. For example, one might wish to be seen talking with children or playing with pets, consistently. One always has a ready smile (that's "playing to the camera" here). The smile is usually somewhat practiced, etc.
That makes sense. I think Catherine does that pretty well. We see her smiling as soon as she gets out of the car, and the smile pretty much never leaves her face (unless she's talking to someone and the person says something serious), her interactions with children are natural and consistent and I think she's more than aware of what's going on.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
[URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/JazCummins"]

Here's a related article on the V&A visit:

Duchess of Cambridge proves she has the magic touch on secret visit to the V&A | Mail Online
Old 03-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Why do they continue to use the word "secret" when they're publishing stories about these visits? Ridiculous.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why do they continue to use the word "secret" when they're publishing stories about these visits? Ridiculous.
It is ridiculous, but in the DM world anything that is private is considered secret.....and makes for a better story.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
It is ridiculous, but in the DM world anything that is private is considered secret.....and makes for a better story.
Not just the DM, The Telegraph uses it to and that's a respected newspaper if there is such a thing.