The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-January 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as the Douche of Cambridge, the Douchess laughed and pounded him on the back. She didn't just purse her lips and suppress a demure smile. When he asked a Nova Scotia (I think) fisherman what a particular part of the lobster was called, and the answer was ".....but we call it s...t", his bride laughed as heartily as everyone else (while William blushed). I'll bet she has a great sense of humor.

She obviously charms everyone she meets, and she has charmed William for the better part of ten years. Like HM, she has the ability to turn a bland and dignified face to the world in general. That's what is required to enjoy a long and successful life in the public eye if you're a royal. The late Princess Margaret was never very much in control of her emotions, nor was Diana.

Those of us who only 'know' her from the telly and the tabloids can't presume to analyze her and pronounce her boring. I don't have any gut feelings about her, or about anyone else I don't know. From what I am actually able to observe, she seems to be an elegant and gracious addition to the BRF.

PS- it would appear that the newlyweds are madly in love, so that can't be bad.

Please tell me that was not intentional. Otherwise, I'd have to ask if you know what a douche is, and why you're calling Catherine one.

Please tell me that was not intentional. Otherwise, I'd have to ask if you know what a douche is, and why you're calling Catherine one.

I think the poster is referring to the slip someone made during the Canada/US tour and accidentally called William that. I remember reading that Catherine found the whole thing quite amusing.

I wouldn't be charming if someone used that kind of language in my presence. I doubt that it was a "slip" either. They had better grow up a bit if they're still amused by bathroom humor.

Yeah, I know, I'm a fuddy-duddy, but it galls me to think there are people out there who think this type of behavior is OK, and that William and Kate think it's funny. Quite a show of immaturity in my mind.

I wouldn't be charming if someone used that kind of language in my presence. I doubt that it was a "slip" either. They had better grow up a bit if they're still amused by bathroom humor.

Yeah, I know, I'm a fuddy-duddy, but it galls me to think there are people out there who think this type of behavior is OK, and that William and Kate think it's funny. Quite a show of immaturity in my mind.

What alternative did Will & Kate have other than to make a joke about it?

What alternative did Will & Kate have other than to make a joke about it?

None.

I think that the young woman who made the mistake was blushing and embarrassed. The crowd was laughing, and the spontaneous reaction by Kate defused the situation immediately. It would have been a much bigger deal if the royals had turned stony-faced and stormed out. They're young people and their outlook and senses of humor are likely quite different from those who are more elderly. Remember a few years ago when someone streaked HM and the DoE? HM was obviously amused and the DoE was positively guffawing (now there's a word one seldom has the opportunity to use). There was no harm intended to the Cambridges, and no offense was taken.

This couple has 50+ years of public life ahead of them. Not every event will be either perfectly controlled, nor perfectly prudish. Life happens.

Last edited:
Please note that posts about a recent magazine article about Catherine being pregnant have been deleted as speculative.

If and when the happy event occurs, it will be announced by either Buckingham Palace and/or Clarence House, and there will be a separate thread created to discuss the event. Similiar to what has been done for the royal families of Spain, Denmark, the Netherlands, etc. And since its been a while since it has happened with the Windsors, think about Autumn Phillips.

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

I think that the young woman who made the mistake was blushing and embarrassed. The crowd was laughing, and the spontaneous reaction by Kate defused the situation immediately. It would have been a much bigger deal if the royals had turned stony-faced and stormed out. They're young people and their outlook and senses of humor are likely quite different from those who are more elderly.

And I guess this display of Kate's sense of humor, as well as the anecdote about the lobster, goes back to the prior discussion of her demeanor in public and what qualities she possesses that may not be always apparent. This girl definitely has the charm, humor and ability to put people at ease; all major attributes to have in public life and not too shabby, either, to have in personal relationships as well.

Last edited:
The instant it happened, she also immediately gasped and then said, "Oh no...That did *not* just happen...". Poor lady was so embrassed by it. William and Kate taking it in the way it happened, a simple boo boo that came from nerves of hosting such an event, and laughing it off I'm sure helped her feel a little bit better about what had happened.

I felt so badly for her though, as I'm sure she was having nightmares about things that could go wrong in the weeks leading up to the visit. And then this ended up happening...

Even some older people would have a sense of humor about such a slip (and assume it was Freudian at some level, but still funny). It all stems from the difficulty of knowing how to pronounce duchy...

That's a great casual photo. Her hair looks great, it's cool to see it in action, so to speak.

has kate changed her protection officer? she looks different to the lady who was with her at the wedding...
otherwise she looks great, happy and relaxed (not so easy to do when anyone can recognise you!). i wouldn't have wore the engagement ring. it's obviously a major hint for anyone to recognise her.
it's fantastic she's down to earth and still shops at zara just as she used to do.

None.

I think that the young woman who made the mistake was blushing and embarrassed. The crowd was laughing, and the spontaneous reaction by Kate defused the situation immediately. It would have been a much bigger deal if the royals had turned stony-faced and stormed out. They're young people and their outlook and senses of humor are likely quite different from those who are more elderly. Remember a few years ago when someone streaked HM and the DoE? HM was obviously amused and the DoE was positively guffawing (now there's a word one seldom has the opportunity to use). There was no harm intended to the Cambridges, and no offense was taken.

This couple has 50+ years of public life ahead of them. Not every event will be either perfectly controlled, nor perfectly prudish. Life happens.

And I guess this display of Kate's sense of humor, as well as the anecdote about the lobster, goes back to the prior discussion of her demeanor in public and what qualities she possesses that may not be always apparent. This girl definitely has the charm, humor and ability to put people at ease; all major attributes to have in public life and not too shabby, either, to have in personal relationships as well.

The instant it happened, she also immediately gasped and then said, "Oh no...That did *not* just happen...". Poor lady was so embrassed by it. William and Kate taking it in the way it happened, a simple boo boo that came from nerves of hosting such an event, and laughing it off I'm sure helped her feel a little bit better about what had happened.

I felt so badly for her though, as I'm sure she was having nightmares about things that could go wrong in the weeks leading up to the visit. And then this ended up happening...

I agree with the posts above. I know that had I been in the situation of the poor woman, I would have probably burst into tears due to embarrassment if there was no attempt to defuse the tension. I know that I get flustered when having to speak to people I don't know, and if those people happen to be royalty, well then I'd definitely say something like 'd****e' out of pure nerves, and not disrespect. Catherine's reaction probably gave the woman a little bit of ease that she needed after her slip. This doesn't show that Catherine is immature, but that she's an individual who understands that mistakes happen and nervous slips are part of public life.

Having seen different interviews with the Queen's children regarding what it's like to perform the sort of duties where it's often boring and monotonous, they seem to rather enjoy when something goes slightly wrong as it lightens the atmosphere. I have no doubt that this was the case for Will and Kate on this particular occasion.

has kate changed her protection officer? she looks different to the lady who was with her at the wedding...
otherwise she looks great, happy and relaxed (not so easy to do when anyone can recognise you!). i wouldn't have wore the engagement ring. it's obviously a major hint for anyone to recognise her.
it's fantastic she's down to earth and still shops at zara just as she used to do.

I have no proof, but I doubt that that woman is her protection officer. First of all, she does not look very fit and she is encumbered by the large cross body bag. Her hands are in pockets and she is looking down in one photo instead of scanning the area. Secondly, I think she resembles Carole Middleton in her facial features. Thirdly, she is dressed way too casually. These are just my observations. :flowers:

I have no proof, but I doubt that that woman is her protection officer. First of all, she does not look very fit and she is encumbered by the large cross body bag. Her hands are in pockets and she is looking down in one photo instead of scanning the area. Secondly, I think she resembles Carole Middleton in her facial features. Thirdly, she is dressed way too casually. These are just my observations. :flowers:

Protection officers are supposed to fit in :)- so if they were out for a casual day around the city, she'd most likely wear something like that. And we know for a fact that two of Kate's protection officers are female. I can't find any images of Inspector Karen Llewellyn, Kate's 45 year old female protection officer who used to run Beatrice and Eugenie's security team, but I'd guess that's her.

Protection officers are supposed to fit in :)- so if they were out for a casual day around the city, she'd most likely wear something like that. And we know for a fact that two of Kate's protection officers are female. I can't find any images of Inspector Karen Llewellyn, Kate's 45 year old female protection officer who used to run Beatrice and Eugenie's security team, but I'd guess that's her.

I've seen picture of Karen and that woman in the picture with Catherine doesn't look like her. I think Karen is closer to Catherine's height and has darker hair.

Either that woman was a friend of Catherine with protection officer(s) just outside the picture, or she's a different officer taking turn.

I've seen picture of Karen and that woman in the picture with Catherine doesn't look like her. I think Karen is closer to Catherine's height and has darker hair.

Either that woman was a friend of Catherine with protection officer(s) just outside the picture, or she's a different officer taking turn.

I thought that was Emma, Kate's other female protection officer? I haven't seen any pictures of Karen.

The Duchess out shopping today in London.

Kate Middleton Shopping at Zara Pictures

Whoever the woman is - I like her style! ;) Love her scarf - and just all round I find my eye drawn to her soft colors - so pretty - rather than the black of Kate. (Truth: I am not a fan of black, except in very small doses).

Interesting details in the side bar: The duchess is prepping for her first Christmas as a full-fledged member of the royal family and is expected to visit with the queen and Prince Philip at their Balmoral estate. Kate Middleton has taken shooting lessons as well in preparation for the traditional Boxing Day pheasant shoot there on Dec. 26 and has had personal help from Prince Charles’s hunt attendant.

Last edited:
Interesting details in the side bar: The duchess is prepping for her first Christmas as a full-fledged member of the royal family and is expected to visit with the queen and Prince Philip at their Balmoral estate. Kate Middleton has taken shooting lessons as well in preparation for the traditional Boxing Day pheasant shoot there on Dec. 26 and has had personal help from Prince Charles’s hunt attendant.

Well Christmas is spent at Sandringham, not Balmoral. The shoot also takes place there on Boxing Day. Someone needs to get their facts right. :flowers:

:previous: Yes, indeed.:lol: I do think, however, that Catherine was a little underdressed for the occasion. It was a working visit, though a private meeting. She needn't have worn a dress or even a skirt, but a nice pair of dress-pants would have been dressier than jeans. Or she could have dressed up the jeans with a smart jacket.

Poor Catherine can't seem to catch a break haha even the little ones are against her. She dresses up they want her to go casual. She goes casual they want her to dress up. :lol:

:previous: Yes, indeed.:lol: I do think, however, that Catherine was a little underdressed for the occasion. It was a working visit, though a private meeting. She needn't have worn a dress or even a skirt, but a nice pair of dress-pants would have been dressier than jeans. Or she could have dressed up the jeans with a smart jacket.

Was it a working visit? I got the impression it was a fact finding visit. Maybe she wasn't expecting them to turn out in force to see her off.

Anyway, she probably should just assume that it's a possibility and dress a wee bit less casual. Maybe she thought the kids wouldn't care. I certainly don't. I wonder if she participated in an activity that was messy?:)

:previous: Don't get me wrong. I like Kate quite a bit and like her style. If it was a fact-finding visit, it was connected to her royal position and therefore not off-duty time. She's done a lot of these visits apparently, but she rarely gets "caught".:)

I've seen this blonde lady with Kate before when she's been shopping, and she's been identified as a protection officer.

I thought that was Emma, Kate's other female protection officer? I haven't seen any pictures of Karen.

I would say her outfit was on par with what most young women of her generation would wear for an informal visit to a primary school. Now, I know she is not 'most young women', but if the BRF wants to 'downscale' to less formality to show that they are aware of today's economic situation, I'd say she hit the mark. Sometimes less is more.

Of course, for formal occasions I want to see gowns, tiaras, & jewels!

I wouldn't have worn jeans for a private working visit. But then again, I had a disagreement with my boss when she demanded that the entire staff wear "really good denim" for casual Fridays.

Of greater importance was that the school seemed to publicize a private fact-finding visit by the Duchess. While school officials didn't speak (much) to the media, they did sent out text messages to parents who took mobile phone pics and sent them to the media. I wonder if that would factor into Kate's decision of whether she should become the charity's patroness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom