The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-January 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note that that any additional posts regarding a possible pregnancy will be deleted as speculative.

If and when it happens, it will be announced by either Buckingham Palace and/or Clarence House and an appropriate thread will be opened.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

wow, kate looked delightful at the national arboretum charity event. the dress reminded me on the alexander mcqueen one she used in US, which i loved.

i was also excited to see that kate and charles went to the opera together. they clearly must have a close relationship, just like maxima and beatrix. it's nice to see daughters in law who get along well with their royal in laws!

i was also excited to see that kate and charles went to the opera together. they clearly must have a close relationship, just like maxima and beatrix. it's nice to see daughters in law who get along well with their royal in laws!

It's really nice to see them share a warm relationship. Charles is certainly a good mentor for Kate and just the right person to give her advice and cultivate her tastes. Perhaps he and Kate will have more nights at the opera and maybe more cultural pursuits in Will's absence during his deployment.

Last edited:
That's an activity I'd gladly pass up on.

Last edited:

Same, I really wish Diana had left more of a mark on William and Harry in terms of shooting and killing living creatures. She, from what I remember, absolutely detested the Windsor pastime of killing things.

It's a bit hypocritical when the royals are patrons of the RSPCA, etc. :whistling:

Same, I really wish Diana had left more of a mark on William and Harry in terms of shooting and killing living creatures. She, from what I remember, absolutely detested the Windsor pastime of killing things.

It's a bit hypocritical when the royals are patrons of the RSPCA, etc. :whistling:

It is a lot more humane to be killed by a clear shot out in the wild then killed in a slaughterhouse. Any comment is hypocritical unless one is eating a total plant based diet and do not use leather, wool or silk.

It is a lot more humane to be killed by a clear shot out in the wild then killed in a slaughterhouse. Any comment is hypocritical unless one is eating a total plant based diet and do not use leather, wool or silk.

Good, then I wasn't being hypocritical then.
I absolutely agree that a clear shot is more humane, but how many royals as amateur hunters kill with one shot?

I absolutely agree that a clear shot is more humane, but how many royals as amateur hunters kill with one shot?

I imagine that the more amateur shooters aren't going to be taking difficult shots. And if they do, there is a Gillie who will be there to make sure the animal doesn't suffer. The Royal family may shoot as a sport, however what they shoot is also consumed.

Animals are usually shot while standing still and with one bullet. Any reasonable "amateur" with the hunting experience of the royals should only need one shot. Birds are shot while in flight and uses different ammunition which makes it equally easy for an hunter to be successful.

I'm with you. I won't go anywhere near a gun, because my lack of vision will most likely lead to shooting something that wasn't meant to be shot during a hunt.

These kind of news makes me quite disappointed...

It makes me rather sad too. She seems to be molding herself be what the royal family want. Who is she really ? What does she want to do? I'd really like to see her showing some spunk.

It makes me rather sad too. She seems to be molding herself be what the royal family want. Who is she really ? What does she want to do? I'd really like to see her showing some spunk.

Sorry, but do you know the royal family? :lol: Can you recall what happened to the last two woman who showed 'spunk' in the face of the firm?
This is the girl who spent the majority of her time from university to marriage waiting for a man. I doubt she has any 'spunk'. Catherine is doing what she's supposed to and good for her, we need another Sophie not Sarah.

Sophie has done a lot in her life and is one of my favorite royals. You can blend into the "firm" without losing who you are.

You can blend into the "firm" without losing who you are.

Who has done that? Sophie? I think you'll find she failed at her attempt of blending normal life to royal life. Catherine was the perfect royal, before she even married William. She was quiet, conservative, boring (partially in a good way), she looked good in tweed, attended the races and hunted. Catherine seems to be the same person she was before the marriage. No change. :)

Well if that's what's required she has nailed it. But maybe that's not what is needed to take the royal family forward IMO

Take the family forward to what? The modern era? What do they need?

Yes we all have to move forward and change or we become like the dinosaur. Would love to continue this convo but need to leave for work. It has been fun as always.

Yes we all have to move forward and change or we become like the dinosaur. Would love to continue this convo but need to leave for work. It has been fun as always.

I shall continue while you go to work, move forward and change? So that means Catherine has to show 'spunk'? The royal family is what it is because of its traditions, change that and no royal family. It has altered over the years, due to public pressure or person pressure but never to the degree where you do not recognise what it stands for.

Catherine can learn how to hunt and shoot as that's part of her life now.

For all we know, she adores shooting and she's choosing to take lessons because she has a good time doing it. We know she's an avid sportswoman who enjoys many other outdoor activities. Why are we assuming that she's only doing this to fit in?

...or die of starvation...or be torn apart by a predator...

You're absolutely right, I'd much rather prefer to be quickly decapitated than live out my life as normal since there's always the chance I could starve to death or be brutally murdered in the future. It's not like there are any animals/people who don't die from those three options...

NOTE: SARCASM ;)

Since this is moving off-topic we might as well just concede to me being out-numbered on this and move on

I have no doubt that William and Catherine are keen to move the Monarchy forward, however it will be years before William takes the throne and is in the position to make those decisions. What changes they make will be based on what is most important to them.

As we all enjoy family traditions, whether you agree this tradition or not, hunting at Balmoral is one that I don't see changing. They enjoy it, they are respectful and what is killed is consumed rather than merely stuffed and mounted.

Last edited:

I would call it a wife taking part in the activities her husband likes.

Kate (and I should mention plenty of people in the UK) have been hunting for a few years now. Pippa and James hunt, too. And if I'm not mistaken, Carole & Mike just started recently. It's an activity enjoyed by many. That does not mean they do it simply to "fit in" with the royals.

I would call it a wife taking part in the activities her husband likes.

Exactly. It has nothing to do with losing your identity. Kate wasn't raised in a noble family with ancient traditions that are passed down throughout the generations. She is a commoner that married a Prince and future King. The fact that she is embracing what William and his family loves as part of their traditions is wonderful. That is going to make the difference in the survival of a royal marriage that is so completely mired in tradition.

American Dane said:
You're absolutely right, I'd much rather prefer to be quickly decapitated than live out my life as normal since there's always the chance I could starve to death or be brutally murdered in the future. It's not like there are any animals/people who don't die from those three options...

NOTE: SARCASM ;)

Since this is moving off-topic we might as well just concede to me being out-numbered on this and move on

I just never understood how anyone could consider killing animals fun or a sport.

I just never understood how anyone could consider killing animals fun or a sport.

I don't get it either since I love all animals and could never do it myself. However, I am also realistic about it. Those pretty packaged meats you buy at the grocery store may make you feel better, but there is far less humanity involved with that process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom