The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-January 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got to agree that it's not necessarily unreasonable to take pictures of Catherine out shopping. Unlike many royals, William and Catherine have the luxury of living undisturbed on a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere and aren't photographed there, or every time they go out. You can't have your cake and eat it. It's not as if she has to worry about how she looks in the pictures anyway.

As for the clothes...I find the pretence that she's feeling the pinch as well as us a bit irritating. She's a duchess: of course she could wear a dress a day if she wanted to, and it's not as if wearing a $300 sweater three times in public makes it look like you have to make sacrifices.

I also wish that she'd dress more ethically: her £195 Reiss Shola dress was made in a sweatshop for less than £15. I'd rather she wore good quality clothes that didn't scream high fashion. It's not as if Reiss deserves a royal warrant...

Do you have proof for that, a source?

Skippy said:

There was a DM article and other publications on it, (I am not saying it accurate, just that there was one) the link is in this forum or maybe the fashion one and it was widely discussed......

Edit- here's the article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-Romanian-sweatshop-women-just-99p-hour.html

Edit- and another with a different view, which I think is meant to explain it or say it's not true but reads as less of an actual denial IMO then a justification
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-Shola-dress-The-truth-sweat-shop-outfit.html

Last edited:
Skippy said:

Yes but I'm on my mobile phone. Go to the Daily Mail website and type in 'duchess of Cambridge reiss shola dress factory cost workers' or something. They actually went to the factory in which it was made. I was like :O

MRSJ said:
There was a DM article and other publications on it, (I am not saying it accurate, just that there was one) the link is in this forum or maybe the fashion one and it was widely discussed......

Edit- here's the article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391673/Kates-dazzling-dress-Romanian-sweatshop-women-just-99p-hour.html

Edit- and another with a different view, which I think is meant to explain it or say it's not true but reads as less of an actual denial IMO then a justification
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1392193/Kate-Middletons-Reiss-Shola-dress-The-truth-sweat-shop-outfit.html

Aha, you got there first! Thanks

What annoys me is that David Reiss claimed that the company spends £45 million on salaries, but how much of that goes to the workers producing those clothes and how much goes to the bigwigs? It means nothing without more details. Kate has such an amazing opportunity to lead the way in terms of more ethically sourced British fashion, and she chooses a dress that was made in a Romanian factory (arguably a sweatshop) for £15. I went into Reiss lately and they were selling a tatty skirt with beading that was falling off, priced at £180. It's crazy. They're using the brand to bump up their prices, as so many shops do these days.

A small glimpse into the Duchess's reading preferences. Would love her thoughts on 'Young Stalin'. I personally find the man to be extremely disturbing and psychotic, and only know of him what has been told to me by family, a Russian history professor, who was a chuck-full of very rare and fascinating facts, and what I've heard from a Russian documentary (and all of that was more than enough, trust me).

Duchess of Cambridge finds inspiration in rabbits and Nazi rebels - Telegraph

I also wish that she'd dress more ethically: her £195 Reiss Shola dress was made in a sweatshop for less than £15. I'd rather she wore good quality clothes that didn't scream high fashion. It's not as if Reiss deserves a royal warrant...

I suspect most companies obtain their clothing from similar sweatshops.
Reiss is definitely not alone.

I suspect most companies obtain their clothing from similar sweatshops.
Reiss is definitely not alone.

And I also suspect that the number of ethical shops are close to none.

A small glimpse into the Duchess's reading preferences. Would love her thoughts on 'Young Stalin'. I personally find the man to be extremely disturbing and psychotic, and only know of him what has been told to me by family, a Russian history professor, who was a chuck-full of very rare and fascinating facts, and what I've heard from a Russian documentary (and all of that was more than enough, trust me).

Hmm, do you think we'll see a phenomenon similar to Oprah Winfrey's book club where people will rush out to read what the Duchess reads?

Baroness of Books said:
Hmm, do you think we'll see a phenomenon similar to Oprah Winfrey's book club where people will rush out to read what the Duchess reads?

Who knows....I will say I am always open to a good book and the 2 she purchased actually sound interesting so I will probably check them out and see if I'd like them, but not just cause Kate bought them .....I'll take a good book suggestion from anyone, royal and nonroyal alike :)

I think this may draw attention to genres and books that previously may have been put by the wayside for one reason or another. Granted that I won't run out and look at a book just because Catherine or whoever read and liked it, but I think that this may help some authors who never enjoyed that wide of an audience before get a little more exposure.

Her choices do sound interesting. I'm going to guess she likes to read about political leaders and historic events. Not sure what the make of the first book that the article mentions. It sounds a little out there, but then again, we all have different tastes.

I'm not sure if she's read 'Young Stalin' - it was Pippa who was holding the book at the party :p I've read it though, it's such a great book!

As for ethical fashion, if you shop at lesser known, more high end brands you can often find stuff that's made more ethically. I don't mean Fairtrade standard, but I can guarantee that the Queen's clothes do not cost £15 to make.

I really hope not. I can't stand the influence that people like Oprah and Richard & Judy have over the books we read. I'm a literature student so it infuriates me :p A book should get by on its own merits, rather than because of who endorses it. For this reason I also have mixed views about the canon...

A lot of my tumblr friends are going out to buy the books tomorrow. Sigh..

Last edited:
I really hope not. I can't stand the influence that people like Oprah and Richard & Judy have over the books we read. I'm a literature student so it infuriates me :p A book should get by on its own merits, rather than because of who endorses it. For this reason I also have mixed views about the canon...

I agree with you; I also like to read a book based on its own merits and because I find it appealing to me, not because personalities endorse it. As a librarian, I can tell you we couldn't keep our shelves stocked with the reading material that Oprah endorsed just because she featured it on her show. Of course, from a librarian's perspective, any incentive is good when it gets people to read but, of course, they must use their own judgment. And as Daria mentioned, this could give authors and genres much-needed exposure so we have to see how this unwitting trend of "royal endorsement" takes off.

princess-royal said:

Oprah's book club helped a lot of very talented writers get much needed exposure and she also got a lot of people to read some beautiful, classic novels. I'm not a fan of her shows but I admire her for that.

I doubt the Duchess is trying to do the same though.

Virginia Woolf argued that 'rather than selecting books for their intrinsic value, middlebrows select and read what they are told is best' - a bit snobbish, but kind of fits my line of argument. I think it's because I'm a literature student and I've got used to reading stuff like Joyce and Shakespeare. I really enjoy books that wouldn't look out of place on shows like Oprah. But I think it's sad when people will only go out and buy a book when someone who's more famous for being a chat show host than a literature lover tells them to. Anyway, I've just found out that one of Catherine's books was recommended by Richard and Judy :p it does look quite good.

Lets move on.....

The Duke of Edinburgh shares kitchen and exercise tips with Kate:

Kate Middleton gets keep-fit tips off Prince Philip, 90 | The Sun |News

That's really nice of him! If I were Catherine, I'd listen--Prince Philip is 90 and still going strong!

The Duke has also called Autumn, who wed another of his grandsons, Peter Phillips, in 2008.

The source said: "Autumn thought it was a wind-up. She thought it was Prince Harry and started telling him off."

:ROFLMAO:

Daria_S said:
The Duke of Edinburgh shares kitchen and exercise tips with Kate:

Kate Middleton gets keep-fit tips off Prince Philip, 90 | The Sun |News

I read somewhere that there are Navy calisthenics he does every morning and that William does too. I believe it's a15-20 minute routine for flexibility and strength.

I wish they released a DVD with it :)

It is sweet that he shared this with Kate and William, and I imagine Autumn thought it was a joke about her weight when she didn't realize it was Prince Philip.

princess-royal said:

Amen. Catherine has great taste in her reading but for anyone to go buy a book because some TV host tells them to or they see someone famous with it, clearly doesn't read for the love of it but just wants to be part of a trend...

fascinator said:
I read somewhere that there are Navy calisthenics he does every morning and that William does too. I believe it's a15-20 minute routine for flexibility and strength.

I wish they released a DVD with it :)

It is sweet that he shared this with Kate and William, and I imagine Autumn thought it was a joke about her weight when she didn't realize it was Prince Philip.

Perhaps it's a generational thing or military thing but my grandfather, who is 91 and as strong (both physically and mentally) as ever, does the exact same thing. He taught me a few things as well so good on Catherine for starting it as well!

That's really nice of him! If I were Catherine, I'd listen--Prince Philip is 90 and still going strong!

:ROFLMAO:

I agree. It's very generous and helpful of Prince Philip to offer and advice. I know that some brides like to do things on their own, and may feel that their own knowledge is being insulted when given advice by a member of the in-law family, but if I were Catherine, I would be very appreciative. Philip has lived this life (and was in her position as a consort), so he would probably have some great tips.

I think it's great that Philip is calling up his granddaughters-in-law to dispense advice and share exercise routines! Catherine is smart and no doubt knows it's probably a privilege that the patriarch of the royal family is doing this and if I were in her position, I'd also be appreciative and flattered at this sign of favor and welcome.:flowers:

This is a sweet article, but i'll be very surprised if it's real. The Sun is worse than the DM.

figtreecrossing said:
There does appear to be a DVD... is this the same thing do you think? If this is inappropriate Moderators please delete Amazon.com: The Navy Seals Calisthenic Workout DVD: Clothing

Wow. Thanks. I think the British Navy version is more moderate- stretches and jumping jacks that Prince Philip can still manage. I do appreciate you finding this link!!

Please note that all off topic posts that have nothing to do with Catherine;s current events have been deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom