The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I know most of us have seen the article on why Beatrice and Eugenie didn't attend the Queen's luncheon this week but how many of us missed the little blurb at the very bottom of the article? Thought this was worth mentioning.

PS In a couple of days she will be putting her feet up along with other members of the Royal Family at Sandringham. But for a few moments yesterday the Duchess of Cambridge was like every other last-minute Christmas shopper as she dashed round her local Waitrose, near Kensington Palace.

Dressed in skinny jeans and brown boots, Kate waited her turn at the checkouts to pay with a credit card and left with two laden carrier bags.

Read more: Why Princess Beatrice said no to the Queen's pre-Christmas lunch | Mail Online

Old 12-23-2011, 09:23 PM

Check out this apology by Amanda Platell!

Kate, I'm sorry for getting you so wrong | Mail Online

Old 12-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Serene Highness

I'm glad Amanda can finally see more clearly! Kate's main "job" is to support her husband - and she is captured, all the time, looking at him so adoringly. And it looks real and spontaneous. He's a lucky man.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I think another poster said it very well; that this couple is modeling themselves on the Queen and Prince Philip's marriage and not Charles and Diana's. Added to it, of course, is their own take on what a good relationship should be.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

No offense, but I found the apology kind of empty. The author apparently has a history of criticizing Kate for not having a job for the past 9 years (though wtf a proper job is just escapes me) but why is the author apologizing while none of her criticisms have been addressed? Kate looks adoringly at her husband? William is always there supporting Kate? Ok and what does that have to do with her job? I do admit that comparing her to Diana is equally parts wrong as well as useless and I do hope Kate does not end up acting like Diana; but still her "sorry I had you wrong Kate" motto of the article doesn't seem to have been addressed at all.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Gentry

It seem the article was more tongue-in-cheek rather than a sincere apology.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Commoner

It's always bothered me when the media makes snide remarks about Catherine's involvement with her parent's business, as if it couldn't possibly be a 'real job'. If she were a man, they'd be saying that working in the family business was part of being 'groomed to take over the business in the future'. Many people, male and female, go to work for their parent's companies and work very hard, indeed.

And as far as the mean 'Waity Katy' name; obviously she and William had a long term plan for their future, which has since come to fruition. For them to have married earlier would have started the unbearable baby speculation and the pressure to produce an heir or two. By living together they had all the benefits without the pressure to be in the public eye or to become parents before they were ready to.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I just get offended by the "real job" crap because I am a few years younger than Catherine and I haven't had a "real job" either, not for lack of trying. Plus like Kate I got my BA in a floating subject. Catherine did work and she did make money on her own; other children of rich parents don't even attempt to pretend to have a real career goal.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Courtier

I'm offended by the fact that working for your parents or family business is not consider a "real job"
Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Nobility

I felt the same way about the article. She dredged up all her previous criticism with relish, and I thought her "I got you wrong" comment was very tongue in cheek and not at all apologetic. But, consider the source!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Aristocracy

i dont get it why people are bothered by her not working. if i had enough money that i could live on the interest, i wouldnt work either. what is so wrong with that?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
i dont get it why people are bothered by her not working. if i had enough money that i could live on the interest, i wouldnt work either. what is so wrong with that?
For me it's because I think she DID work. She worked for her family business. For some that isn't good enough, she should have worked somewhere else to PROVE that she actually was working.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
For me it's because I think she DID work. She worked for her family business. For some that isn't good enough, she should have worked somewhere else to PROVE that she actually was working.

ok, that makes a little more sense, i guess i wasnt looking at it like that. so should we bash her dad for using 'his family' to help grow his company? (sarcasm)
Old 12-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Nobility

I'm sure life has it's advantages within the makeup of always staying alive where people are abled and can decide to take on an easy life. Ultimately life is a philosophy where one can promote the sensible and aiming in pursuit towards self fulfillment. Then there is an understanding that we all are sensitive creatures with apparent desires to be happy, free, and or content. Catherine has met all these expectations along the way and by now knows that through her prestige and position the advice she gets from her many contacts. Even when she was working for party supply ornaments she must have had the idea that the day may arrive when she will be working for the many countrymen of the UK. So I never dared call her lazy and irresponsible. Sometimes I could not understand why people overlooked this. But that was before and maybe we are ok with her status as an apparent future Queen. One thing I can say is that I approve of all I have seen of her and that she is breathtaking. So I root for her and their land. I hope she has so much fun and regard for the things that make us all matter most of all including our many smiles.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Majesty

I think Catherine is doing a wonderful job. I don't see her as lazy because instead of sitting back and relaxing after her wedding, she accompanied her husband on a tour overseas, and then undertook engagements (one being solo). She took time to find what causes she wanted to support, and made sure that they were what she was passionate about. Some may not see this as a job, but I think being a source of support for one's spouse is something that at times can be very taxing and difficult. However, just like with parenting, you cannot clock out, because your shift is never over. She's there when he comes home from his rescue missions, or has a bad day. She most likely may need to put his needs before hers, even if she is the one feeling a little down or overwhelmed. That takes effort, and emotional effort at that. Not everyone is strong enough to do it, especially not a person that is lazy and doesn't want to put any effort into anything.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Nobility

I agree. I don't know how many times I have been seen comments about her work history when it is public information that she did work for her family. The Waity Katie thing got really old really fast.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Serene Highness

You are right Daria. She didnt just sit back or whine that she needed to relax. She jumped right in there and began working. Of course she was probably told that she needed to be with William on the tour since they were now married. It was part of her job and people would expect her to be with him. Just my opinion.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
You are right Daria. She didnt just sit back or whine that she needed to relax. She jumped right in there and began working. Of course she was probably told that she needed to be with William on the tour since they were now married. It was part of her job and people would expect her to be with him. Just my opinion.
I may be wrong here, so feel free to correct me, but I believe the trip to Canada (and later on US) was planned before the engagement. I think Catherine was issued an invitation from Canadian government at a later date to join William on the tour. I'm not sure if anyone really had to tell her she had to go. I have a feeling that she went, because it's the job of a wife to support her husband. But I do agree, that she did it without complaint (not that we would have been given the information about the said complaint even if it took place).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Serene Highness

Yes Daria, you are right. I forgot about that. All in all I think she has done a great job and cant wait to see her in action coming up.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm glad the charities she will patronize we're announced- especially the therapeutic art for children.