Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Courtier

Person of the Year Runner-Up: Kate Middleton - Person of the Year 2011 - TIME

Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Not sure if this is the correct place for this.

Kate has been named one of 4 runners up by Time magazine in their Person of the Year feature. The Time Person of the Year for 2011 is, quite rightly given the Arab Spring, 'The Protestor'.

A lengthy article on Kate from the Time website:

Person of the Year Runner-Up: Kate Middleton
A lovely write-up. I recall that Diana (yes I know this is not a Diana thread) was also a runner-up in her bridal year. Time remarked that she had arrived on the world stage, and "she came to stay".

And another nice article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...th-America.htm

"She has an inner calm."

Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

I linked the article as well. Kate comes across quite well from those who know her.

I just wish she hadn't waited so long to begin proper official engagements. The gap between the wedding and the New Year (when we assume we'll hear more about her taking on her own agenda) has been too large. She risks looking rather work shy which is a criticism which has been made of her before.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

If Kate applies herself diligently to her charities and keeps herself occupied in the public arena starting the upcoming year, I'm sure she'll rectify that impression.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books
If Kate applies herself diligently to her charities and keeps herself occupied in the public arena starting the upcoming year, I'm sure she'll rectify that impression.
And I'm sure she will. Between the tours that were just announced, the Olympics, the other Jubilee activities and her official announcement of her charities and the work she'll be doing with them, I think she's going to have a very busy year in 2012.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Majesty

I agree with Baroness of Books. Catherine has a clean slate to start from, and therefore a chance to really shine and show the world what she's made of. She has already done splendidly, and I believe that her streak of not disappointing will continue. That doesn't mean that she won't make mistakes and wrong choices, but just that she'll be doing her best. I'm sure she knows better than all of us put together what is at stake should she choose to slack and do things in a half-hearted and careless manner.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I also believe that she will do very well. She appears to have a refreshing self confidence which I think will stand her in very good stead. I just feel that it would have been better for her to have taken on some solo engagements before now.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Majesty

This was posted on my twitter. Catherine was the winner for People Magazine's 'Star You're Most Into'.

Best of 2011 Winners! - Best of 2011 : People.com

Old 12-16-2011, 01:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
. . . . . I just wish she hadn't waited so long to begin proper official engagements. The gap between the wedding and the New Year (when we assume we'll hear more about her taking on her own agenda) has been too large. She risks looking rather work shy which is a criticism which has been made of her before.
Catherine is still only the heir's heir and her husband is not a "full-time" royal. I think the BRF are wise to let her find her own feet and learn to accommodate William's job and how it integrates into her life without a load of solo royal engagements that would mean she would often be away when he was off duty and home when he was on.

I believe they intend to give the couple time to establish a solid marital foundation knowing full well the Diamond Jubilee is going to put all members of "The Firm", including the Cambridge's, into overdrive in 2012!

We all know that living together ad hoc is not the same as being married, and being married is not the same as being married to a Prince with "expectations". Both situations take time to adjust to and the only people moaning are those that seem to want to grade Catherine on her performance, which IMO is a trifle weird.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:32 AM
Royal Highness

IMHO Catherine does not want to let anyone down and she certainly does not want to offend any older member of the RF. That makes her new life quite tacky and she is right in taking her time to learn the ropes and to tread carefully. I'm sure she listens to advice and I'm glad she has a good rapport with Camilla, who knows all about life in the Royal cage and how to deal with it, as she has lived so many decades in these circles.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Catherine is still only the heir's heir and her husband is not a "full-time" royal. I think the BRF are wise to let her find her own feet and learn to accommodate William's job and how it integrates into her life without a load of solo royal engagements that would mean she would often be away when he was off duty and home when he was on.

I believe they intend to give the couple time to establish a solid marital foundation knowing full well the Diamond Jubilee is going to put all members of "The Firm", including the Cambridge's, into overdrive in 2012!

We all know that living together ad hoc is not the same as being married, and being married is not the same as being married to a Prince with "expectations". Both situations take time to adjust to and the only people moaning are those that seem to want to grade Catherine on her performance, which IMO is a trifle weird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
IMHO Catherine does not want to let anyone down and she certainly does not want to offend any older member of the RF. That makes her new life quite tacky and she is right in taking her time to learn the ropes and to tread carefully. I'm sure she listens to advice and I'm glad she has a good rapport with Camilla, who knows all about life in the Royal cage and how to deal with it, as she has lived so many decades in these circles.
Well said, ladies! It all takes time, and if one wants to do well (which Catherine undoubtedly does), then it's necessary to allow for an adjustment period, where the person is acclimated and settled into his/her new position in every fashion and shape. Also, it's important to allow the person to choose exactly what causes/charities he/she wants to work with. Non-public figures are allowed to take their time when choosing a career, so why not give the same curtesy to a royal when it comes to choosing charities? In order to make a difference, one needs to be passionate about one's job/charities. Without passion there's no drive to really get into the cause and be as active as possible. The RF has done a great job in allowing her this time, as well as in providing great support network. I think this coming year we will see a great deal of Catherine's capabilities come to light.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I too think it wise for Catherine to research, study and familiarize herself with what opportunities she may best serve her royal family and country. There is no doubt in my mind that Prince William recalls is mother's complaints that she was just "thrown into" the family and had to figure things out on her own. Kate is mature, intelligent and approaching this in an adult, business-like manner. I like that she, William, and Harry work as a threesome in events (ie London Olympics) takes the pressure off of doing things alone. However, when Kate took Prince Charles' place recently, she proved capable and shining in her sole representation of the British Royal Family.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

It doesn't bother me at all that Kate is treading cautiously and learning the ropes, which is how it should be; as Marg said, she's the heir's heir and a rung down the ladder. I'm personally satisfied with the amount of appearances from her so far in 2011, and 2012 will really be ramped-up in terms of more appearances and public occasions. A lot of people want to see more of her and have higher expectations as a result, but as the saying goes "slow and steady wins the race" which really can't be miscontrued as laziness or being work shy. I think she's proceeding along at the pace that's likely been set for her and that has approval and consideration from the top. She's been comporting herself in such a professional and confident manner at all public occasions that something must be going right with the game plan!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Serene Highness

I have a different opinion than some, in that I don't think Catherine's build up to royal life has been especially slow; in fact, I think it's probably happening at a more intense pace than is strictly needed, given that she's not married to the monarch or even to the heir to the throne. I think I may have said before that I consider William and Catherine to be in a somewhat awkward/weird position, since that they're relatively low ranking in the family but are far and away its most high profile members, with the possible exception of QEII herself.

Also, to me the organizations Catherine chooses to become associated with are only part of the picture, (and I think she should absolutely take her time in picking these out - the old saying about buying in haste and repenting at leisure applies here). I also look at things like the Canada trip, which was a major undertaking, with a lot of potential ways to screw up, and which came very soon after the wedding.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Serene Highness

i just saw a pic of lady sarah and wow she really looks like qeII..
Old 12-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Majesty

This made me giggle .

5 Christmas gifts someone should give Kate Middleton

Old 12-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, we don't want the Duchess to get too snookered on that bottle of Scotch during the Christmas visit with the Queen, otherwise she'll miss the gong for dinner!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Well, we don't want the Duchess to get too snookered on that bottle of Scotch during the Christmas visit with the Queen, otherwise she'll miss the gong for dinner!
Now THAT will be a Christmas to remember. The new Duchess of Cambridge gets hammered and disrupts the order of things . Sounds like a good plot for a Christmas comedy.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
It doesn't bother me at all that Kate is treading cautiously and learning the ropes, which is how it should be; as Marg said, she's the heir's heir and a rung down the ladder. I'm personally satisfied with the amount of appearances from her so far in 2011, and 2012 will really be ramped-up in terms of more appearances and public occasions. A lot of people want to see more of her and have higher expectations as a result, but as the saying goes "slow and steady wins the race" which really can't be miscontrued as laziness or being work shy. I think she's proceeding along at the pace that's likely been set for her and that has approval and consideration from the top. She's been comporting herself in such a professional and confident manner at all public occasions that something must be going right with the game plan!
Really? So we can expect a Queen Regnant Catherine in the future? Cool!!

I'm sorry for giving into my Naughty side, but after seeing that, I couldn't resist. Besides, after some of the nastiness that's been rampant in the William and Catherine threads this year, I think a good giggle is pretty badly needed.

Although am I in for it a week from today for that. Wouldn't shock me to find a fully loaded stocking of coal under the Tree.

Seriously...Glad to hear it's looking like Catherine's going to do something w/the Olympics. I'd love to see her tackle something to do w/either tying in the Olympics w/attracting more girls to take up Sport/physical activity and/or how Sport can mean everything in the Third World and even cross old tribal lines to bring peace to an area. Something like the work that Right To Play does. I think it would be a perfect fit for her IMO.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Really? So we can expect a Queen Regnant Catherine in the future? Cool!!

I'm sorry for giving into my Naughty side, but after seeing that, I couldn't resist. Besides, after some of the nastiness that's been rampant in the William and Catherine threads this year, I think a good giggle is pretty badly needed.

Although am I in for it a week from today for that. Wouldn't shock me to find a fully loaded stocking of coal under the Tree.

Seriously...Glad to hear it's looking like Catherine's going to do something w/the Olympics. I'd love to see her tackle something to do w/either tying in the Olympics w/attracting more girls to take up Sport/physical activity and/or how Sport can mean everything in the Third World and even cross old tribal lines to bring peace to an area. Something like the work that Right To Play does. I think it would be a perfect fit for her IMO.
No coals from me! That's a good catch; I obviously didn't proofread my post carefully and you get the red pen award for catching my blooper. Naturally, I meant the heir's heir's wife! Glad to have given you a good giggle, but when Kate eventually has a baby and if it's a girl, we can definitely expect a queen regnant!

Closed Thread