The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree. I think it's an amazing idea. I mean I can't imagine how difficult it would be for her to be at home alone especially at night. With Charles and Camilla atleast she'll have some company with her. And from what I've seen all of my personal opinions on Charles and Camilla aside they seem to have welcomed Kate into the family with open arms and love her very much.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I think it's a wonderful idea to have Catherine stay with Charles and Camila while William is away. She can get more experiences with various royal duties, and be surrounded by those who have her best interest at heart.
Not only will she be among close family but she'll also get first hand experience as to how a royal household is run day to day. Maybe she'll also be involved should either Charles or Camilla have any events planned at Clarence House during that period.

Hopefully the time William is away will pass quickly for her.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I agree. I think it's an amazing idea. I mean I can't imagine how difficult it would be for her to be at home alone especially at night. With Charles and Camilla atleast she'll have some company with her. And from what I've seen all of my personal opinions on Charles and Camilla aside they seem to have welcomed Kate into the family with open arms and love her very much.
I agree completely. Support system is a wonderful thing, and she needs to have a good one. Charles and Camila seem to be filling in that role just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Not only will she be among close family but she'll also get first hand experience as to how a royal household is run day to day. Maybe she'll also be involved should either Charles or Camilla have any events planned at Clarence House during that period.

Hopefully the time William is away will pass quickly for her.
Good point in regards to Catherine seeing how a royal household is run from day to day. She'll need to know this for when she'll move into the Kensington Palace apartment with William. I think between all the engagements and observations, Catherine's time apart from William will fly by. I know that if I had to do what she's doing, I'd have no time to sit and miss my husband (not that I won't, but it won't be as bad as it may have been if there was nothing to occupy my time with).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessjaime View Post
I agree. The comparisions do need to stop. Kate is Kate and Diana was Diana.
Amen!!!!!! They are so uncomparable, they never met eachother and they would have now 20 y of difference.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like the fact that Charles and Camilla have "embraced" Catherine, it seems to work for their family. I'm sure this will afford P William peace-of-mind whilst away from his bride. They can offer her guidance, advice, and security should anything arise in Williams absence.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Aristocracy

I can't believe that people think that a 30 year old woman needs to live with her in-laws when her husband is away. What about the other army wives who have jobs or children? I don't believe this DM article Catherine would be more capable than that surely
Old 12-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Nobility

I'm sure she's quite capable of being alone and taking care of herself, but why do it if she doesn't have to and doesn't want to? This is an opportunity for her to spend time with her in laws AND learn a lot while William is away.

My cousin tends to go and stay with relatives out of state for long stretches of time when her husband is deployed. Now, she takes the new baby along. So, this doesn't strike me as terribly unusual.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Courtier

I kind of thought that she'd have Pippa over to stay with her at KP while William's away.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, I think Pippa should stay with her. They would probably like the time together. By the way, what ever happened to Pippa maybe becoming Lady in waiting?
Old 12-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it's also a good idea for Kate to stay with her in-laws during William's absence for the reasons given by other posters, if indeed this article is true. Yes, she can be self-sufficient and stay by herself which she's probably capable of doing, but as Erin9 says, why should she when she doesn't have to? She enjoys a warm relationship with Charles and Camilla, and this is a great opportunity to shorten the "learning curve" of life as a royal. She can observe the routine and maintenance of a royal household, and once Kate starts to go solo on appearances for her charities, she'll have direct help on hand at CH for advice and assistance. And I'm sure Pippa would be welcome there if she wants to visit her sister.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Dunno how legit this is but....
Quote:
Royalinsight Royal Insight

Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge will focus her public duties on sports in preparation for #London2012
Old 12-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Heir Apparent

It would seem likely, given her interest in that field. But in what capacity if it's true; several of her charitable organizations?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Majesty

I think that Pippa is much too high-profile to be a Lady-in-Waiting. A L-in-W should be almost invisible, not a co-celebrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
By the way, what ever happened to Pippa maybe becoming Lady in waiting?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that Pippa is much too high-profile to be a Lady-in-Waiting. A L-in-W should be almost invisible, not a co-celebrity.
I'll be her L-in-W!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
I'll be her L-in-W!
I'll join you. It's not like I have a job or anything, and this position will give me a chance to see the world. Oh, if only...

Now back to real life.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Serene Highness

imo that is a good idea to have pippa has a lady in waiting..what do u all think of zara also being a lady in waiting?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by semisquare View Post
imo that is a good idea to have pippa has a lady in waiting..what do u all think of zara also being a lady in waiting?
I'm not sure if it is a good idea to have either Pippa or Zara as her L-I-W. I believe that Pippa does not have sufficient background on royal life and duties. Zara is very focused upon her riding career. If I were to choose a family member to mentor Catherine it would be Lady Sarah the Queen's niece. She's discreet, well-liked and familiar with royal ways.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by semisquare View Post
imo that is a good idea to have Pippa has a lady in waiting..what do u all think of Zara also being a lady in waiting?
A Lady-In-Waiting"s job is to ease the way for the Royal, to back her up and provide a link on the ground at any event. "They're running out of time", she's the one that woudl discreetly give Catherine the "nod", extricate her from being monopolised, carry the flowers and keep things going.

Pippa has no expertise to bring to the position. She is not familiar with royalty, royal etiquette or foreign affairs. She is not politically savvy, she has no experience of royals at work. Most importantly she is not self-effacing. Many, if not all of the above are essential to be Catherine's lady-in-waiting and Pippa just does not have the skills or the credentials.

Pippa and Catherine share a close bond and it would be inappropriate for her to become Catherine's companion and be treated the same. People want to see and meet the Duchess of Cambridge not her sister. Putting her in such a position would inevitably lead to a strain on their personal relationship.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Aristocracy

Commonwealth Tour for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge | Royal Insight
Old 12-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Not sure if this is the correct place for this.

Kate has been named one of 4 runners up by Time magazine in their Person of the Year feature. The Time Person of the Year for 2011 is, quite rightly given the Arab Spring, 'The Protestor'.

A lengthy article on Kate from the Time website:

Person of the Year Runner-Up: Kate Middleton

Closed Thread