The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Heir Apparent

There's a huge difference between Kate and Diana, IMO.
Diana was vaulted from total obscurity to an international level of fame- no wonder she was unprepared to cope.

Kate, on the other hand, has been with William a decade, and ought to be used to the press by now.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I'm waiting for the book of recipes created from the items Catherine bought since her wedding.....

Put my order in. They can call it 'Catherine's Cookery' or "Dining with the Duchess'. LOL

Old 11-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
Sorry I can't see the difference between outside and inside. It's just a photo of her shopping I'm sure she's not as worried about it as much as you are. She well and truly knew what it was going to be like when she married William. If she was worried about it she would have had home delivery
I'm not saying she doesn't know it comes with it and trust me I'm not losing sleep over it but I do think to an extent taking pictures from a store window is a bit wrong. I don't even see these types of pics for normal celebs.Not that this thing is new it's happened before we've seen those cctv pics published in DM as well as those store photos taken from what looked like a fellow shopper and the ones of them in the theater.I don't think it's right and I never will, obviously these pics didn't harm her but I still find them a bit intrusive for my taste.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Majesty

I believe Catherine has the right to expect privacy when she is engaged in private activities. I personally do not believe that Catherine doing her grocery shopping is "News" and it is certainly not a "Current Event"!

This is simple intrusion. Do we like the pretty pictures? Oh yes! Is it right that photographers can go to any extreme to get them? No! We are part of the problem and we justify ourselves by saying "she knew what she was getting into", but that does not wash.

If an Actor, and Actress and a Writer (from the Leveson Inquiry) believe they have a right to a reasonable expectation of privacy except when promoting their work on the red carpet, can the royals not expect the same?

The press attention to Catherine is intrusive but not unexpected. However, when she becomes pregnant she will have to literally go into a form of social purdah, except when attending an official engagement. The alternative is too awful to contemplate.

Catherine Dashes to Hide Royal Tummy!

If the ramifications of that sort of headline don't give you the creeps, think "paparazzi in hot pursuit, purusing her on foot and in cars!

Let's hope the Leveson Inquiry turns up some real "Rules" in the very near future.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Serene Highness

Kate should know being a royal you are a celebrity, and there are somethings like this are not ok to do as a royal,if I was her I guess the correct thing to do was send a Clarence house chamber maid to do the grocery shopping,but I guess she just wanted to do this and knew the consequences but still for a royal to do commoner things is just weird, because they have servants now to do all that.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Majesty

If she sent a servant to get her groceries, she would be pilloried. She's already accused of not doing very much, and she and William have made it clear that they don't want to have any staff while they're in Wales. Having a maid doing the shopping would make a lot more sense in London, because it's much more crowded and there's more paparazzi on the go.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Serene Highness

What bothered me about those pictures was the fact that they appeared to be taken INSIDE the store and ABOVE, as though from an office which looked out on the floor below. IMO it is bad enough that the paps would be bothersome but to have an employee of TESCO, which IMO it appeared to be, taking pictures and probably selling them to the tabloids is over the top. That is my issue. It's just very bad "customer service" if nothing else, and I hope it has been pursued and the employee dealt with. If she went into Harrods and a clerk stood and snapped a picture of her and her purchases it would be the same thing. At the end of the day it's about good business practices ... and this is/was not. People may argue my interpretation, however it is quite clear to me that the pictures were taken inside the store, from ABOVE through a glass window. IOW, an office of TESCO, and IMO that is just wrong.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Charles receives his income from the Duchy of Cornwall, not HM, from which he supports William, Catherine and Harry's official expenses. It would not surprise me one bit if Catherine's grocery budget comes directly from William's military paycheck. If I were a British taxpayer, I also would not have a problem with spending 61p towards the Monarchy....money well spent imo.
I am a U.S. citizen and live in the U.S., but I'd gladly mail the British government a buck or two a year for the pleasure of enjoying the British royal family! Maybe they should set up a subscription service for those of us overseas. Pay it through PayPal! Could be the first time the royal family turned a profit in the history of Great Britain!
Old 11-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham
What bothered me about those pictures was the fact that they appeared to be taken INSIDE the store and ABOVE, as though from an office which looked out on the floor below. IMO it is bad enough that the paps would be bothersome but to have an employee of TESCO, which IMO it appeared to be, taking pictures and probably selling them to the tabloids is over the top. That is my issue. It's just very bad "customer service" if nothing else, and I hope it has been pursued and the employee dealt with. If she went into Harrods and a clerk stood and snapped a picture of her and her purchases it would be the same thing. At the end of the day it's about good business practices ... and this is/was not. People may argue my interpretation, however it is quite clear to me that the pictures were taken inside the store, from ABOVE through a glass window. IOW, an office of TESCO, and IMO that is just wrong.
That was what I was trying to say but you have put it far more succinctly :)

In response to the 'would you take a photo'? Heck yes but it would be for personal use and I wouldn't be an employee of a company abusing access or potentially a company trying to get free advertising.

If the photos had appeared to be from a fellow shopper, that's fair enough but I seriously don't think they are but am happy to be proved wrong!!

If one of my contractors was giving out information about one of our customers in the public arena, they would have their contract terminated immediately!!
Old 11-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
I am a U.S. citizen and live in the U.S., but I'd gladly mail the British government a buck or two a year for the pleasure of enjoying the British royal family! Maybe they should set up a subscription service for those of us overseas. Pay it through PayPal! Could be the first time the royal family turned a profit in the history of Great Britain!
Now THAT would be money well spent in my opinion. At least Royals give back to their community, unlike those Americans deem 'celebrities' on this side of the Atlantic. I'm in complete agreement with you.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I believe Catherine has the right to expect privacy when she is engaged in private activities. I personally do not believe that Catherine doing her grocery shopping is "News" and it is certainly not a "Current Event"!

This is simple intrusion. Do we like the pretty pictures? Oh yes! Is it right that photographers can go to any extreme to get them? No! We are part of the problem and we justify ourselves by saying "she knew what she was getting into", but that does not wash.
I totally agree with these two posts. This is exactly the same point I was trying to make about why these pictures are different then other papz phots we've gotten except you guys put it way way better then I ever could.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Corner security camera up by the ceiling is what it looks like to me.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Majesty

Actually, the Crown Estate turns quite a profit for the UK.

The Crown Estate || Homepage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
Could be the first time the royal family turned a profit in the history of Great Britain!
Old 11-26-2011, 01:17 AM
Majesty

You'll get no argument from me. Scooter could be correct in saying that they were taken by a security camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
People may argue my interpretation, however it is quite clear to me that the pictures were taken inside the store, from ABOVE through a glass window. IOW, an office of TESCO, and IMO that is just wrong.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Now THAT would be money well spent in my opinion. At least Royals give back to their community, unlike those Americans deem 'celebrities' on this side of the Atlantic. I'm in complete agreement with you.
So am I, where do I send my dollar?
Old 11-26-2011, 06:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishy View Post
I have to say that I probably wouldn't. Whenever I have seen a celebrity, I've certainly taken a discreet look at them but I've never approached them or taken a picture of them as I felt they were entitled to their privacy, regardless of who pays their wages or the fact that they are a public figure.

When Prince William visited QLD earlier this year after Cyclone Yasi I went and saw him at one of his public appearances. Watching him and the photos being taken of him by the general public made me feel that he was like a monkey in a zoo. I know that is his role and constant photography is one of the prices to pay for their privileged positions, but I think sometimes we forget that regardless of their status and celebrity, they are still human beings. Yes I expect to see photographs of them when they are in public places conducting their private life, but I think there is a fine line and these photos cross that. If she is on the street fine take photos, but once she is inside a building leave the woman alone.
i'm with you on this trishy. if it was a public event i.e. a royal walk about or a celebrity taking part in a promotional event then that's different but if saw the same people in a restaurant or out shopping or in the airport i wouldn't take a pic.

william does have a job so there's no fallacy about private income there. he also has his inheritance from his mother so no fallacy there either. to think that their groceries are paid for by the taxpayer is bit of a stretch.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Aristocracy

This is a great you tube about how much the royal family really cost
Not sure if I have done this right it's called
The true cost of the royal family
Old 11-26-2011, 07:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

It is as it is. Pictures taken from inside Tesco might feel wrong but they are reality. I dont think Kate is surprised or angry, she doesnt mind sitting near the front window at the hairdresser when having her hair done, there is no need neither for this nor for doing her shopping herself. Everybody knows they have servants or can have their hair done at home but if they dont chose to do so but go out in public this is the result.

Just get along with it and this is exactly what Kate does. In contrast, everyday people have to put up with a lot of everyday annoyances as well, they might be different but nobodys world is perfect, why should royals, who never have to queue up, always have a parking slot, never have to wait for the train, never have to sit at the doctors with a sick child while the boss at work is ranting etc etc, have a perfect world.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Aristocracy

Well said. I completely agree with you as I said earlier I'm sure catherine isn't worried about it as much as other people are. This will be part of her life and I'm sure she knew it would be this way.
She could always do what Russell Crowe did when press sat outside his house everyday. He wore the same clothes everyday and as every photo looked the same they eventually gave up Ha ha
Old 11-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by semisquare View Post
how crazy is that to take pic of her while she does her shopping!!!! that is sick...imo kate is being treated like princess di
I feel so sad even looking at these and she even looked right at the camera.

Closed Thread