The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I hasten to add that I only wear vintage fur. I know the royals tend to wear new fur. But it's odd that it isn't such a problem in Denmark, Norway, Sweden AFAIK. I'm not saying that the posters here wouldn't have the same feeling towards those royal ladies wearing fur but the public mood doesn't seem to be so anti-fur. Maybe Catherine should save the fur for Copenhagen?
Now you're talkin' (re: vintage fur). If I can find a restaurant in the western world that serves mink, fox, etc. on the menu, I would not object to wearing fur. However, that's not the case.

Anyway, off my soapbox --- for now.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I suspect Catherine has schooled herself over the years to show a particular demeanor to the world that is self-contained and controlled; remember how she and Will had to keep their relationship under wraps during their college years. That takes a lot of self-discipline and sangfroid. However, I'm sure privately she is that person Will seems to love very much and more of her natural personality is revealed to family and friends. I'm sure she's a cut-up when engaging in athletics and very competitive; you can't be too ladylike when playing tennis, field hockey or rowing. And there is that sense of humor Will spoke about in the engagement interview. I see her as a traditional and conventional young lady who is most likely very determined with perhaps a core of steel, like the Queen Mother, who fits very well in the environment of the RF. There's so much of Kate that the public doesn't know and we can't be fooled by thinking that how she behaves or what she shows (or doesn't show) in public is actually who she is.
Exactly--that "core of steel" is what I was trying to say in my previous posting. As Catherine once supposedly said long time ago to a friend, Prince William is lucky to have her, as well as her families (both hers and the RF).

Old 11-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
I mean having some spark about her that is Catherine It seems to me that she spent her waiting years being so careful not to put a foot wrong and not doing anything a young woman would do such as work,travel with friends overseas etc And I don't mean a 2 week holiday. Now she is still to me just doing the right thing to please the family As I say I don't see the real Catherine and would like to see her do something that would say "ah that's who she is and what she believes in" but you could be right maybe she is just a boring person happy to please
Do you beleive that Catherine has not "been herself", but rather putting on a show or presenting a view for over 10 years?Wow, that would be hard to do!

How do you know that what we see is not Catherine just being Catherine? I think the only difference is that her life has changed and she is gently easing herself into the public eye as "The Duchess of Cambridge". She hasn't had all that many occasions to "show us who she is" and on those occasions, has yet to relax while doing it.

I hardly think we can define her nature by the choice of a hat! We can get an idea of what she thinks is appropriate for her (which, when thinking about the hat, is a bit of a worry) on any given occasion. But until we have seen her "on duty" so to speak, for at least a year, I do not think we can even begin to nail "Catherine", spunky or boring!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think any of us will ever "know" Kate. If I were to tell you what I honestly think of her, just from "gut" feelings, most people wouldn't like it.

I hope my feelings are dead wrong, but I'll never know because I doubt I'll ever meet her, let alone get to "know" her.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I suspect Catherine has schooled herself over the years to show a particular demeanor to the world that is self-contained and controlled; remember how she and Will had to keep their relationship under wraps during their college years. That takes a lot of self-discipline and sangfroid. However, I'm sure privately she is that person Will seems to love very much and more of her natural personality is revealed to family and friends. I'm sure she's a cut-up when engaging in athletics and very competitive; you can't be too ladylike when playing tennis, field hockey or rowing. And there is that sense of humor Will spoke about in the engagement interview. I see her as a traditional and conventional young lady who is most likely very determined with perhaps a core of steel, like the Queen Mother, who fits very well in the environment of the RF. There's so much of Kate that the public doesn't know and we can't be fooled by thinking that how she behaves or what she shows (or doesn't show) in public is actually who she is.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. All of us, public figures or not, have two sides; one side that is seen by friends and family and another that is reserved for work and other professional activities. There's no reason to say that in some cases the two sides overlap, because it's only natural, but generally speaking, we behave one way with our co-workers and another with our cousins. Catherine is doing exactly that. She's one way when professional (poised, graceful, pleasant, polite, etc), and another way when with her friends and family (probably a little more relaxed and carefree). There are little glimpses of a young woman who has a sense of humor (her smile says it all), and most likely, a charming personality. We're never going to see the 'private' Catherine, but I certainly won't call her 'boring'. She's probably a very good conversationalist, and can bring a great deal to a get-together. I personally won't mind having someone like that in my circle of friends.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Serene Highness

When William was introduced...

as the Douche of Cambridge, the Douchess laughed and pounded him on the back. She didn't just purse her lips and suppress a demure smile. When he asked a Nova Scotia (I think) fisherman what a particular part of the lobster was called, and the answer was ".....but we call it s...t", his bride laughed as heartily as everyone else (while William blushed). I'll bet she has a great sense of humor.

She obviously charms everyone she meets, and she has charmed William for the better part of ten years. Like HM, she has the ability to turn a bland and dignified face to the world in general. That's what is required to enjoy a long and successful life in the public eye if you're a royal. The late Princess Margaret was never very much in control of her emotions, nor was Diana.

Those of us who only 'know' her from the telly and the tabloids can't presume to analyze her and pronounce her boring. I don't have any gut feelings about her, or about anyone else I don't know. From what I am actually able to observe, she seems to be an elegant and gracious addition to the BRF.

PS- it would appear that the newlyweds are madly in love, so that can't be bad.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Majesty

Catherine's top ten moments in the spotlight since the engagement.

Prince William and Kate Middleton engagement a year on: Top 10 moments of the Duchess of Cambridge's first year in the spotlight - mirror.co.uk

Old 11-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
as the Douche of Cambridge, the Douchess laughed and pounded him on the back. She didn't just purse her lips and suppress a demure smile. When he asked a Nova Scotia (I think) fisherman what a particular part of the lobster was called, and the answer was ".....but we call it s...t", his bride laughed as heartily as everyone else (while William blushed). I'll bet she has a great sense of humor.

She obviously charms everyone she meets, and she has charmed William for the better part of ten years. Like HM, she has the ability to turn a bland and dignified face to the world in general. That's what is required to enjoy a long and successful life in the public eye if you're a royal. The late Princess Margaret was never very much in control of her emotions, nor was Diana.

Those of us who only 'know' her from the telly and the tabloids can't presume to analyze her and pronounce her boring. I don't have any gut feelings about her, or about anyone else I don't know. From what I am actually able to observe, she seems to be an elegant and gracious addition to the BRF.

PS- it would appear that the newlyweds are madly in love, so that can't be bad.

Please tell me that was not intentional. Otherwise, I'd have to ask if you know what a douche is, and why you're calling Catherine one.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Please tell me that was not intentional. Otherwise, I'd have to ask if you know what a douche is, and why you're calling Catherine one.
I think the poster is referring to the slip someone made during the Canada/US tour and accidentally called William that. I remember reading that Catherine found the whole thing quite amusing.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

I wouldn't be charming if someone used that kind of language in my presence. I doubt that it was a "slip" either. They had better grow up a bit if they're still amused by bathroom humor.

Yeah, I know, I'm a fuddy-duddy, but it galls me to think there are people out there who think this type of behavior is OK, and that William and Kate think it's funny. Quite a show of immaturity in my mind.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I wouldn't be charming if someone used that kind of language in my presence. I doubt that it was a "slip" either. They had better grow up a bit if they're still amused by bathroom humor.

Yeah, I know, I'm a fuddy-duddy, but it galls me to think there are people out there who think this type of behavior is OK, and that William and Kate think it's funny. Quite a show of immaturity in my mind.
What alternative did Will & Kate have other than to make a joke about it?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
What alternative did Will & Kate have other than to make a joke about it?
None.

I think that the young woman who made the mistake was blushing and embarrassed. The crowd was laughing, and the spontaneous reaction by Kate defused the situation immediately. It would have been a much bigger deal if the royals had turned stony-faced and stormed out. They're young people and their outlook and senses of humor are likely quite different from those who are more elderly. Remember a few years ago when someone streaked HM and the DoE? HM was obviously amused and the DoE was positively guffawing (now there's a word one seldom has the opportunity to use). There was no harm intended to the Cambridges, and no offense was taken.

This couple has 50+ years of public life ahead of them. Not every event will be either perfectly controlled, nor perfectly prudish. Life happens.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Please note that posts about a recent magazine article about Catherine being pregnant have been deleted as speculative.

If and when the happy event occurs, it will be announced by either Buckingham Palace and/or Clarence House, and there will be a separate thread created to discuss the event. Similiar to what has been done for the royal families of Spain, Denmark, the Netherlands, etc. And since its been a while since it has happened with the Windsors, think about Autumn Phillips.

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 11-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I think that the young woman who made the mistake was blushing and embarrassed. The crowd was laughing, and the spontaneous reaction by Kate defused the situation immediately. It would have been a much bigger deal if the royals had turned stony-faced and stormed out. They're young people and their outlook and senses of humor are likely quite different from those who are more elderly.
And I guess this display of Kate's sense of humor, as well as the anecdote about the lobster, goes back to the prior discussion of her demeanor in public and what qualities she possesses that may not be always apparent. This girl definitely has the charm, humor and ability to put people at ease; all major attributes to have in public life and not too shabby, either, to have in personal relationships as well.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

The instant it happened, she also immediately gasped and then said, "Oh no...That did *not* just happen...". Poor lady was so embrassed by it. William and Kate taking it in the way it happened, a simple boo boo that came from nerves of hosting such an event, and laughing it off I'm sure helped her feel a little bit better about what had happened.

I felt so badly for her though, as I'm sure she was having nightmares about things that could go wrong in the weeks leading up to the visit. And then this ended up happening...
Old 11-18-2011, 12:40 AM
Serene Highness

Even some older people would have a sense of humor about such a slip (and assume it was Freudian at some level, but still funny). It all stems from the difficulty of knowing how to pronounce duchy...
Old 11-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Nobility

The Duchess out shopping today in London.

Kate Middleton Shopping at Zara Pictures
Old 11-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Serene Highness

That's a great casual photo. Her hair looks great, it's cool to see it in action, so to speak.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:02 AM
Majesty

has kate changed her protection officer? she looks different to the lady who was with her at the wedding...
otherwise she looks great, happy and relaxed (not so easy to do when anyone can recognise you!). i wouldn't have wore the engagement ring. it's obviously a major hint for anyone to recognise her.
it's fantastic she's down to earth and still shops at zara just as she used to do.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-19-2011, 03:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
None.

I think that the young woman who made the mistake was blushing and embarrassed. The crowd was laughing, and the spontaneous reaction by Kate defused the situation immediately. It would have been a much bigger deal if the royals had turned stony-faced and stormed out. They're young people and their outlook and senses of humor are likely quite different from those who are more elderly. Remember a few years ago when someone streaked HM and the DoE? HM was obviously amused and the DoE was positively guffawing (now there's a word one seldom has the opportunity to use). There was no harm intended to the Cambridges, and no offense was taken.

This couple has 50+ years of public life ahead of them. Not every event will be either perfectly controlled, nor perfectly prudish. Life happens.
Quote:
And I guess this display of Kate's sense of humor, as well as the anecdote about the lobster, goes back to the prior discussion of her demeanor in public and what qualities she possesses that may not be always apparent. This girl definitely has the charm, humor and ability to put people at ease; all major attributes to have in public life and not too shabby, either, to have in personal relationships as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
The instant it happened, she also immediately gasped and then said, "Oh no...That did *not* just happen...". Poor lady was so embrassed by it. William and Kate taking it in the way it happened, a simple boo boo that came from nerves of hosting such an event, and laughing it off I'm sure helped her feel a little bit better about what had happened.

I felt so badly for her though, as I'm sure she was having nightmares about things that could go wrong in the weeks leading up to the visit. And then this ended up happening...
I agree with the posts above. I know that had I been in the situation of the poor woman, I would have probably burst into tears due to embarrassment if there was no attempt to defuse the tension. I know that I get flustered when having to speak to people I don't know, and if those people happen to be royalty, well then I'd definitely say something like 'd****e' out of pure nerves, and not disrespect. Catherine's reaction probably gave the woman a little bit of ease that she needed after her slip. This doesn't show that Catherine is immature, but that she's an individual who understands that mistakes happen and nervous slips are part of public life.

Closed Thread