The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #661  
Old 11-14-2011, 11:49 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
Again, it's a personal choice. I wear fur, you wouldn't wear it and that's the spice of life. Variety.
__________________

__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
  #662  
Old 11-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Mandarin_Empress's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madison, United States
Posts: 16
Though I personally strongly dislike hunting, I would not begrudge the British Royal Family their tradition of hunting since the animals aren't endangered and they're not used as trophies.
__________________

  #663  
Old 11-14-2011, 03:18 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandarin_Empress View Post
Though I personally strongly dislike hunting, I would not begrudge the British Royal Family their tradition of hunting since the animals aren't endangered and they're not used as trophies.
Agreed. I admire those who choose to live a vegetarian lifestyle- I think it's a more humane way to live, but I personally still eat meat. I don't want to give it up. I know that the meat I eat from the grocery store was probably killed in a much worse way than the meat the royal family eats after a hunt. I don't object to eating meat itself- I object to animals being tortured before they're killed, and any animal raised in a factory farm setting that ends up in a grocery store lived a life of torture in much too small a space and didn't get any type of enjoyment out of its life. I actually feel like the royals get it right on this one- I'd be more comfortable eating that meat than I am eating meat from the grocery store. At least the animals the royal family eats lived their lives free out in nature and then when it was time for them to be dinner, it was a quick clean shot without suffering.

I think Kate probably really enjoys hunting. She loves the outdoors and sports of all types, and I can't see her going to the trouble to take private shooting lessons if she didn't enjoy the sport and want to be better at it.
  #664  
Old 11-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Agreed. I admire those who choose to live a vegetarian lifestyle- I think it's a more humane way to live, but I personally still eat meat.
You've never heard a carrot scream as it is being pulled from the ground?
  #665  
Old 11-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,038
I'm speaking of birds of course. They're hardly guaranteed a peaceful life if they aren't shot. There'd be too many pheasants and ducks for the resources, and an overpopulation of birds would also attract foxes and other predators. It's all part of estate management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
You're absolutely right, I'd much rather prefer to be quickly decapitated than live out my life as normal since there's always the chance I could starve to death or be brutally murdered in the future.
NOTE: SARCASM
  #666  
Old 11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
It is not as though they are shooting the birds and leaving them on the ground. Without the shoot, there is no feast and the feast is the thing.

What I object to is wearing fur for adornment. That includes the Queen, Princess Royal, etc.
...and Beatrix fan!
  #667  
Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
...and Beatrix fan!
I hasten to add that I only wear vintage fur. I know the royals tend to wear new fur. But it's odd that it isn't such a problem in Denmark, Norway, Sweden AFAIK. I'm not saying that the posters here wouldn't have the same feeling towards those royal ladies wearing fur but the public mood doesn't seem to be so anti-fur. Maybe Catherine should save the fur for Copenhagen?
__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
  #668  
Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Daphoenyx's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rosario, Argentina
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Out of interest, why?
Because of what the others also said, being a great animal-lover it always saddens me when a royal that I like has the "hobby" of hunting... Or bull-fights... Yeah I don't eat or wear animals, I don't expect royals to do that, but at least they could avoid killing wild animals "for fun"... Where is the fun in that, I cannot see. That's the reason why I said I was disappointed.
__________________

  #669  
Old 11-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Britters's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DC, United States
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Who has done that? Sophie? I think you'll find she failed at her attempt of blending normal life to royal life. Catherine was the perfect royal, before she even married William. She was quiet, conservative, boring (partially in a good way), she looked good in tweed, attended the races and hunted. Catherine seems to be the same person she was before the marriage. No change.
I'm with Lumutqueen on this one. For the better part of 10 years Catherine has been a fixture in the public eye and not much of what we're seeing now is a change from what we might have seen 5, 6, 7 years ago. Catherine seems to have a very strong sense of self, one would have to to maintain a relationship such as her and William's. Perhaps the lessons are to broaden her horizons in the sport.

It's strange that so many people expected to hear about this "spunky" person suddenly now that they're married and more open with the press. But the reality seems to be that this is the person she's always been. And although people seem to find her boring, I find it refreshing. K Amidst the reality tv stars and politicians and other various celebrities it's nice to finally have a women who has a sense of decorum and doesn't see a need in self promotion or flaunting herself.
__________________
Have you ever wished on a star? It's a magic everyone needs to experience!
  #670  
Old 11-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Lady74's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters

I'm with Lumutqueen on this one. For the better part of 10 years Catherine has been a fixture in the public eye and not much of what we're seeing now is a change from what we might have seen 5, 6, 7 years ago. Catherine seems to have a very strong sense of self, one would have to to maintain a relationship such as her and William's. Perhaps the lessons are to broaden her horizons in the sport.

It's strange that so many people expected to hear about this "spunky" person suddenly now that they're married and more open with the press. But the reality seems to be that this is the person she's always been. And although people seem to find her boring, I find it refreshing. K Amidst the reality tv stars and politicians and other various celebrities it's nice to finally have a women who has a sense of decorum and doesn't see a need in self promotion or flaunting herself.
Who said anything about flaunting herself. Truly people !! Having spunk must mean something totally different to you than it does for me.
  #671  
Old 11-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,038
I'm not really sure that it's done for "fun." I think it's something that was done for years out of necessity and a whole social lifestyle grew up around it. Most hunters I know have respect for the animals they kill (and yes, they do eat them) and make sure that they get a clean shot. A person can get a lot of meat off a deer and even more from a moose; that's why they shoot them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphoenyx View Post
Because of what the others also said, being a great animal-lover it always saddens me when a royal that I like has the "hobby" of hunting... Or bull-fights... Yeah I don't eat or wear animals, I don't expect royals to do that, but at least they could avoid killing wild animals "for fun"... Where is the fun in that, I cannot see. That's the reason why I said I was disappointed.
  #672  
Old 11-15-2011, 01:13 AM
Tiggersk8's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Evansville, Canada
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I'm not really sure that it's done for "fun." I think it's something that was done for years out of necessity and a whole social lifestyle grew up around it. Most hunters I know have respect for the animals they kill (and yes, they do eat them) and make sure that they get a clean shot. A person can get a lot of meat off a deer and even more from a moose; that's why they shoot them.
Exactly!! My family hunts and has always hunted. It certainly cuts down on the food bill when you don't have to buy meat all of the time because of hunting. Not to mention it helps keep the population down so there isn't such an upswing in the deer herd that it starts becoming a nuisance. You try putting in all the work that goes into putting in a garden and then see it all gone a few months later thanks to the deer using it as a free salad bar.

I have never seen what the problem is w/the Royal Family hunting and still don't. The meat gets used for meals, I'm sure the hide/fur is put to good use as well and if the staff does what my Parents do to ensure the animals on their land are in good shape all through the year by putting out grain and/or apples at feeding stations, then they're not being mistreated, so...!?!

I just don't get the uproar, but I do get Kate wanting to be a part of something Will loves to do. If afterwards she ends up not enjoying herself, then at least she tried it and she'll have the respect of those in the Family that for them, hunting is a part of life.

It's part and parcel of learning about your new Family and trying to fit in a bit. W/other Families it might be NFL Football or NHL Hockey that's the or one of the big things the Family does together. W/the Royals, one of those things is Hunting and Fishing. Not really that much of a big deal IMO.
__________________
Recycle Life ~ Be An Organ Donor!!
Recieved my Kidney Transplant on December 10th, 1993 and will be forever grateful to the family of my donor for the greatest earliest Christmas Present I've ever been given
  #673  
Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Anna Catherine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.C., United States
Posts: 335
Honestly, it is all personal preference. If you want to wear fur, go ahead. I know people who hunt for a sport and I don't really see the problem. It is all really your own personal opinion and conviction and what you like. It's not a crime. Besides the royal family can still support all those organizations whose names are failing me and not be hypocritical. It is not a bad thing. They made be against animal cruelity, but that doesnt mean they can't hunt themselves or wear fur or whatever. There is a difference. You can't just lump it all together and generalize.
  #674  
Old 11-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Anna Catherine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.C., United States
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
Who said anything about flaunting herself. Truly people !! Having spunk must mean something totally different to you than it does for me.
I'm curious as to what you mean by "spunk". Everyone seems to be misunderstanding you.
  #675  
Old 11-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Lady74's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine

I'm curious as to what you mean by "spunk". Everyone seems to be misunderstanding you.
I mean having some spark about her that is Catherine It seems to me that she spent her waiting years being so careful not to put a foot wrong and not doing anything a young woman would do such as work,travel with friends overseas etc And I don't mean a 2 week holiday. Now she is still to me just doing the right thing to please the family As I say I don't see the real Catherine and would like to see her do something that would say "ah that's who she is and what she believes in" but you could be right maybe she is just a boring person happy to please
  #676  
Old 11-15-2011, 02:02 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
I'm curious as to what you mean by "spunk". Everyone seems to be misunderstanding you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
Who said anything about flaunting herself. Truly people !! Having spunk must mean something totally different to you than it does for me.
I have to be honest, I am confused by what you mean by "spunk" in this context! Could you be a little more explicit Lady?
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #677  
Old 11-15-2011, 02:37 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sacramento, United States
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I hasten to add that I only wear vintage fur. I know the royals tend to wear new fur. But it's odd that it isn't such a problem in Denmark, Norway, Sweden AFAIK. I'm not saying that the posters here wouldn't have the same feeling towards those royal ladies wearing fur but the public mood doesn't seem to be so anti-fur. Maybe Catherine should save the fur for Copenhagen?
It's probably because it is very cold in those countries. I'm originally from Montana where it is also very cold and believe me, fur is much warmer than cloth.
  #678  
Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 AM
Anna Catherine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.C., United States
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
I mean having some spark about her that is Catherine It seems to me that she spent her waiting years being so careful not to put a foot wrong and not doing anything a young woman would do such as work,travel with friends overseas etc And I don't mean a 2 week holiday. Now she is still to me just doing the right thing to please the family As I say I don't see the real Catherine and would like to see her do something that would say "ah that's who she is and what she believes in" but you could be right maybe she is just a boring person happy to please
I disagree with your assessment, but I see what you mean.
  #679  
Old 11-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alexandria, United States
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
I mean having some spark about her that is Catherine It seems to me that she spent her waiting years being so careful not to put a foot wrong and not doing anything a young woman would do such as work,travel with friends overseas etc And I don't mean a 2 week holiday. Now she is still to me just doing the right thing to please the family As I say I don't see the real Catherine and would like to see her do something that would say "ah that's who she is and what she believes in" but you could be right maybe she is just a boring person happy to please
I understand what you mean, although I don't think Catherine is a "boring" person to William and the rest of his family. I suspect she's has a strong personality inside her. I can't see William being happy with a "boring" wife, so to speak, so I'm sure there's a lot in Catherine that only William and perhaps the rest of the family see that we don't.

Guess what I'm trying to say is I think she show her spunkiness only to her family and closest friends and we don't get to see it. Who knows?
  #680  
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,808
I suspect Catherine has schooled herself over the years to show a particular demeanor to the world that is self-contained and controlled; remember how she and Will had to keep their relationship under wraps during their college years. That takes a lot of self-discipline and sangfroid. However, I'm sure privately she is that person Will seems to love very much and more of her natural personality is revealed to family and friends. I'm sure she's a cut-up when engaging in athletics and very competitive; you can't be too ladylike when playing tennis, field hockey or rowing. And there is that sense of humor Will spoke about in the engagement interview. I see her as a traditional and conventional young lady who is most likely very determined with perhaps a core of steel, like the Queen Mother, who fits very well in the environment of the RF. There's so much of Kate that the public doesn't know and we can't be fooled by thinking that how she behaves or what she shows (or doesn't show) in public is actually who she is.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 2: February 2012-January 2013 Zonk Current Events Archive 1451 01-05-2013 07:37 PM
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 3: April-September 2012 ghost_night554 Current Events Archive 923 09-13-2012 06:07 PM
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events Thread 2: December 2011-April 2012 Zonk Current Events Archive 837 04-03-2012 11:16 PM
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29-November 2011 wbenson Current Events Archive 1081 12-01-2011 01:42 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit british baby names catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion current events denmark duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grahamm greece jew kate middleton king abdulah ii king abdullah and queen rania king abdullah ii king philip king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince alexander of sweden prince charles princess estelle princess marie princess marie eveningwear princess marie events princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit queen rania daytime fashion queen rania fashion replica sally bedell smith september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:02 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises