The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:49 AM

Again, it's a personal choice. I wear fur, you wouldn't wear it and that's the spice of life. Variety.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Commoner

Though I personally strongly dislike hunting, I would not begrudge the British Royal Family their tradition of hunting since the animals aren't endangered and they're not used as trophies.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandarin_Empress View Post
Though I personally strongly dislike hunting, I would not begrudge the British Royal Family their tradition of hunting since the animals aren't endangered and they're not used as trophies.
Agreed. I admire those who choose to live a vegetarian lifestyle- I think it's a more humane way to live, but I personally still eat meat. I don't want to give it up. I know that the meat I eat from the grocery store was probably killed in a much worse way than the meat the royal family eats after a hunt. I don't object to eating meat itself- I object to animals being tortured before they're killed, and any animal raised in a factory farm setting that ends up in a grocery store lived a life of torture in much too small a space and didn't get any type of enjoyment out of its life. I actually feel like the royals get it right on this one- I'd be more comfortable eating that meat than I am eating meat from the grocery store. At least the animals the royal family eats lived their lives free out in nature and then when it was time for them to be dinner, it was a quick clean shot without suffering.

I think Kate probably really enjoys hunting. She loves the outdoors and sports of all types, and I can't see her going to the trouble to take private shooting lessons if she didn't enjoy the sport and want to be better at it.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Agreed. I admire those who choose to live a vegetarian lifestyle- I think it's a more humane way to live, but I personally still eat meat.
You've never heard a carrot scream as it is being pulled from the ground?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Majesty

I'm speaking of birds of course. They're hardly guaranteed a peaceful life if they aren't shot. There'd be too many pheasants and ducks for the resources, and an overpopulation of birds would also attract foxes and other predators. It's all part of estate management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
You're absolutely right, I'd much rather prefer to be quickly decapitated than live out my life as normal since there's always the chance I could starve to death or be brutally murdered in the future.
NOTE: SARCASM
Old 11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
It is not as though they are shooting the birds and leaving them on the ground. Without the shoot, there is no feast and the feast is the thing.

What I object to is wearing fur for adornment. That includes the Queen, Princess Royal, etc.
...and Beatrix fan!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
...and Beatrix fan!
I hasten to add that I only wear vintage fur. I know the royals tend to wear new fur. But it's odd that it isn't such a problem in Denmark, Norway, Sweden AFAIK. I'm not saying that the posters here wouldn't have the same feeling towards those royal ladies wearing fur but the public mood doesn't seem to be so anti-fur. Maybe Catherine should save the fur for Copenhagen?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Out of interest, why?
Because of what the others also said, being a great animal-lover it always saddens me when a royal that I like has the "hobby" of hunting... Or bull-fights... Yeah I don't eat or wear animals, I don't expect royals to do that, but at least they could avoid killing wild animals "for fun"... Where is the fun in that, I cannot see. That's the reason why I said I was disappointed.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Who has done that? Sophie? I think you'll find she failed at her attempt of blending normal life to royal life. Catherine was the perfect royal, before she even married William. She was quiet, conservative, boring (partially in a good way), she looked good in tweed, attended the races and hunted. Catherine seems to be the same person she was before the marriage. No change.
I'm with Lumutqueen on this one. For the better part of 10 years Catherine has been a fixture in the public eye and not much of what we're seeing now is a change from what we might have seen 5, 6, 7 years ago. Catherine seems to have a very strong sense of self, one would have to to maintain a relationship such as her and William's. Perhaps the lessons are to broaden her horizons in the sport.

It's strange that so many people expected to hear about this "spunky" person suddenly now that they're married and more open with the press. But the reality seems to be that this is the person she's always been. And although people seem to find her boring, I find it refreshing. K Amidst the reality tv stars and politicians and other various celebrities it's nice to finally have a women who has a sense of decorum and doesn't see a need in self promotion or flaunting herself.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters

I'm with Lumutqueen on this one. For the better part of 10 years Catherine has been a fixture in the public eye and not much of what we're seeing now is a change from what we might have seen 5, 6, 7 years ago. Catherine seems to have a very strong sense of self, one would have to to maintain a relationship such as her and William's. Perhaps the lessons are to broaden her horizons in the sport.

It's strange that so many people expected to hear about this "spunky" person suddenly now that they're married and more open with the press. But the reality seems to be that this is the person she's always been. And although people seem to find her boring, I find it refreshing. K Amidst the reality tv stars and politicians and other various celebrities it's nice to finally have a women who has a sense of decorum and doesn't see a need in self promotion or flaunting herself.
Who said anything about flaunting herself. Truly people !! Having spunk must mean something totally different to you than it does for me.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Majesty

I'm not really sure that it's done for "fun." I think it's something that was done for years out of necessity and a whole social lifestyle grew up around it. Most hunters I know have respect for the animals they kill (and yes, they do eat them) and make sure that they get a clean shot. A person can get a lot of meat off a deer and even more from a moose; that's why they shoot them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphoenyx View Post
Because of what the others also said, being a great animal-lover it always saddens me when a royal that I like has the "hobby" of hunting... Or bull-fights... Yeah I don't eat or wear animals, I don't expect royals to do that, but at least they could avoid killing wild animals "for fun"... Where is the fun in that, I cannot see. That's the reason why I said I was disappointed.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I'm not really sure that it's done for "fun." I think it's something that was done for years out of necessity and a whole social lifestyle grew up around it. Most hunters I know have respect for the animals they kill (and yes, they do eat them) and make sure that they get a clean shot. A person can get a lot of meat off a deer and even more from a moose; that's why they shoot them.
Exactly!! My family hunts and has always hunted. It certainly cuts down on the food bill when you don't have to buy meat all of the time because of hunting. Not to mention it helps keep the population down so there isn't such an upswing in the deer herd that it starts becoming a nuisance. You try putting in all the work that goes into putting in a garden and then see it all gone a few months later thanks to the deer using it as a free salad bar.

I have never seen what the problem is w/the Royal Family hunting and still don't. The meat gets used for meals, I'm sure the hide/fur is put to good use as well and if the staff does what my Parents do to ensure the animals on their land are in good shape all through the year by putting out grain and/or apples at feeding stations, then they're not being mistreated, so...!?!

I just don't get the uproar, but I do get Kate wanting to be a part of something Will loves to do. If afterwards she ends up not enjoying herself, then at least she tried it and she'll have the respect of those in the Family that for them, hunting is a part of life.

It's part and parcel of learning about your new Family and trying to fit in a bit. W/other Families it might be NFL Football or NHL Hockey that's the or one of the big things the Family does together. W/the Royals, one of those things is Hunting and Fishing. Not really that much of a big deal IMO.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Nobility

Honestly, it is all personal preference. If you want to wear fur, go ahead. I know people who hunt for a sport and I don't really see the problem. It is all really your own personal opinion and conviction and what you like. It's not a crime. Besides the royal family can still support all those organizations whose names are failing me and not be hypocritical. It is not a bad thing. They made be against animal cruelity, but that doesnt mean they can't hunt themselves or wear fur or whatever. There is a difference. You can't just lump it all together and generalize.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
Who said anything about flaunting herself. Truly people !! Having spunk must mean something totally different to you than it does for me.
I'm curious as to what you mean by "spunk". Everyone seems to be misunderstanding you.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine

I'm curious as to what you mean by "spunk". Everyone seems to be misunderstanding you.
I mean having some spark about her that is Catherine It seems to me that she spent her waiting years being so careful not to put a foot wrong and not doing anything a young woman would do such as work,travel with friends overseas etc And I don't mean a 2 week holiday. Now she is still to me just doing the right thing to please the family As I say I don't see the real Catherine and would like to see her do something that would say "ah that's who she is and what she believes in" but you could be right maybe she is just a boring person happy to please
Old 11-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
Quote:
I have to be honest, I am confused by what you mean by "spunk" in this context! Could you be a little more explicit Lady?
Old 11-15-2011, 02:37 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I hasten to add that I only wear vintage fur. I know the royals tend to wear new fur. But it's odd that it isn't such a problem in Denmark, Norway, Sweden AFAIK. I'm not saying that the posters here wouldn't have the same feeling towards those royal ladies wearing fur but the public mood doesn't seem to be so anti-fur. Maybe Catherine should save the fur for Copenhagen?
It's probably because it is very cold in those countries. I'm originally from Montana where it is also very cold and believe me, fur is much warmer than cloth.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I mean having some spark about her that is Catherine It seems to me that she spent her waiting years being so careful not to put a foot wrong and not doing anything a young woman would do such as work,travel with friends overseas etc And I don't mean a 2 week holiday. Now she is still to me just doing the right thing to please the family As I say I don't see the real Catherine and would like to see her do something that would say "ah that's who she is and what she believes in" but you could be right maybe she is just a boring person happy to please
I disagree with your assessment, but I see what you mean.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I understand what you mean, although I don't think Catherine is a "boring" person to William and the rest of his family. I suspect she's has a strong personality inside her. I can't see William being happy with a "boring" wife, so to speak, so I'm sure there's a lot in Catherine that only William and perhaps the rest of the family see that we don't.

Guess what I'm trying to say is I think she show her spunkiness only to her family and closest friends and we don't get to see it. Who knows?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

I suspect Catherine has schooled herself over the years to show a particular demeanor to the world that is self-contained and controlled; remember how she and Will had to keep their relationship under wraps during their college years. That takes a lot of self-discipline and sangfroid. However, I'm sure privately she is that person Will seems to love very much and more of her natural personality is revealed to family and friends. I'm sure she's a cut-up when engaging in athletics and very competitive; you can't be too ladylike when playing tennis, field hockey or rowing. And there is that sense of humor Will spoke about in the engagement interview. I see her as a traditional and conventional young lady who is most likely very determined with perhaps a core of steel, like the Queen Mother, who fits very well in the environment of the RF. There's so much of Kate that the public doesn't know and we can't be fooled by thinking that how she behaves or what she shows (or doesn't show) in public is actually who she is.

Closed Thread