The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-January 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also believe that she will do very well. She appears to have a refreshing self confidence which I think will stand her in very good stead. I just feel that it would have been better for her to have taken on some solo engagements before now.

. . . . . I just wish she hadn't waited so long to begin proper official engagements. The gap between the wedding and the New Year (when we assume we'll hear more about her taking on her own agenda) has been too large. She risks looking rather work shy which is a criticism which has been made of her before.
Catherine is still only the heir's heir and her husband is not a "full-time" royal. I think the BRF are wise to let her find her own feet and learn to accommodate William's job and how it integrates into her life without a load of solo royal engagements that would mean she would often be away when he was off duty and home when he was on.

I believe they intend to give the couple time to establish a solid marital foundation knowing full well the Diamond Jubilee is going to put all members of "The Firm", including the Cambridge's, into overdrive in 2012!

We all know that living together ad hoc is not the same as being married, and being married is not the same as being married to a Prince with "expectations". Both situations take time to adjust to and the only people moaning are those that seem to want to grade Catherine on her performance, which IMO is a trifle weird.

IMHO Catherine does not want to let anyone down and she certainly does not want to offend any older member of the RF. That makes her new life quite tacky and she is right in taking her time to learn the ropes and to tread carefully. I'm sure she listens to advice and I'm glad she has a good rapport with Camilla, who knows all about life in the Royal cage and how to deal with it, as she has lived so many decades in these circles.

Catherine is still only the heir's heir and her husband is not a "full-time" royal. I think the BRF are wise to let her find her own feet and learn to accommodate William's job and how it integrates into her life without a load of solo royal engagements that would mean she would often be away when he was off duty and home when he was on.

I believe they intend to give the couple time to establish a solid marital foundation knowing full well the Diamond Jubilee is going to put all members of "The Firm", including the Cambridge's, into overdrive in 2012!

We all know that living together ad hoc is not the same as being married, and being married is not the same as being married to a Prince with "expectations". Both situations take time to adjust to and the only people moaning are those that seem to want to grade Catherine on her performance, which IMO is a trifle weird.

IMHO Catherine does not want to let anyone down and she certainly does not want to offend any older member of the RF. That makes her new life quite tacky and she is right in taking her time to learn the ropes and to tread carefully. I'm sure she listens to advice and I'm glad she has a good rapport with Camilla, who knows all about life in the Royal cage and how to deal with it, as she has lived so many decades in these circles.

Well said, ladies! It all takes time, and if one wants to do well (which Catherine undoubtedly does), then it's necessary to allow for an adjustment period, where the person is acclimated and settled into his/her new position in every fashion and shape. Also, it's important to allow the person to choose exactly what causes/charities he/she wants to work with. Non-public figures are allowed to take their time when choosing a career, so why not give the same curtesy to a royal when it comes to choosing charities? In order to make a difference, one needs to be passionate about one's job/charities. Without passion there's no drive to really get into the cause and be as active as possible. The RF has done a great job in allowing her this time, as well as in providing great support network. I think this coming year we will see a great deal of Catherine's capabilities come to light.

I too think it wise for Catherine to research, study and familiarize herself with what opportunities she may best serve her royal family and country. There is no doubt in my mind that Prince William recalls is mother's complaints that she was just "thrown into" the family and had to figure things out on her own. Kate is mature, intelligent and approaching this in an adult, business-like manner. I like that she, William, and Harry work as a threesome in events (ie London Olympics) takes the pressure off of doing things alone. However, when Kate took Prince Charles' place recently, she proved capable and shining in her sole representation of the British Royal Family.

It doesn't bother me at all that Kate is treading cautiously and learning the ropes, which is how it should be; as Marg said, she's the heir's heir and a rung down the ladder. I'm personally satisfied with the amount of appearances from her so far in 2011, and 2012 will really be ramped-up in terms of more appearances and public occasions. A lot of people want to see more of her and have higher expectations as a result, but as the saying goes "slow and steady wins the race" which really can't be miscontrued as laziness or being work shy. I think she's proceeding along at the pace that's likely been set for her and that has approval and consideration from the top. She's been comporting herself in such a professional and confident manner at all public occasions that something must be going right with the game plan!

Last edited:
I have a different opinion than some, in that I don't think Catherine's build up to royal life has been especially slow; in fact, I think it's probably happening at a more intense pace than is strictly needed, given that she's not married to the monarch or even to the heir to the throne. I think I may have said before that I consider William and Catherine to be in a somewhat awkward/weird position, since that they're relatively low ranking in the family but are far and away its most high profile members, with the possible exception of QEII herself.

Also, to me the organizations Catherine chooses to become associated with are only part of the picture, (and I think she should absolutely take her time in picking these out - the old saying about buying in haste and repenting at leisure applies here). I also look at things like the Canada trip, which was a major undertaking, with a lot of potential ways to screw up, and which came very soon after the wedding.

i just saw a pic of lady sarah and wow she really looks like qeII..

:previous:Well, we don't want the Duchess to get too snookered on that bottle of Scotch during the Christmas visit with the Queen, otherwise she'll miss the gong for dinner! :lol:

Last edited:
:previous:Well, we don't want the Duchess to get too snookered on that bottle of Scotch during the Christmas visit with the Queen, otherwise she'll miss the gong for dinner! :lol:

Now THAT will be a Christmas to remember. The new Duchess of Cambridge gets hammered and disrupts the order of things :ROFLMAO:. Sounds like a good plot for a Christmas comedy.

It doesn't bother me at all that Kate is treading cautiously and learning the ropes, which is how it should be; as Marg said, she's the heir's heir and a rung down the ladder. I'm personally satisfied with the amount of appearances from her so far in 2011, and 2012 will really be ramped-up in terms of more appearances and public occasions. A lot of people want to see more of her and have higher expectations as a result, but as the saying goes "slow and steady wins the race" which really can't be miscontrued as laziness or being work shy. I think she's proceeding along at the pace that's likely been set for her and that has approval and consideration from the top. She's been comporting herself in such a professional and confident manner at all public occasions that something must be going right with the game plan!

Really? So we can expect a Queen Regnant Catherine in the future? Cool!!

;) :D ;) :D

I'm sorry for giving into my Naughty side, but after seeing that, I couldn't resist. Besides, after some of the nastiness that's been rampant in the William and Catherine threads this year, I think a good giggle is pretty badly needed.

Although am I in for it a week from today for that. Wouldn't shock me to find a fully loaded stocking of coal under the Tree. ;)

Seriously...Glad to hear it's looking like Catherine's going to do something w/the Olympics. I'd love to see her tackle something to do w/either tying in the Olympics w/attracting more girls to take up Sport/physical activity and/or how Sport can mean everything in the Third World and even cross old tribal lines to bring peace to an area. Something like the work that Right To Play does. I think it would be a perfect fit for her IMO.

Last edited:
Really? So we can expect a Queen Regnant Catherine in the future? Cool!!

;) :D ;) :D

I'm sorry for giving into my Naughty side, but after seeing that, I couldn't resist. Besides, after some of the nastiness that's been rampant in the William and Catherine threads this year, I think a good giggle is pretty badly needed.

Although am I in for it a week from today for that. Wouldn't shock me to find a fully loaded stocking of coal under the Tree. ;)

Seriously...Glad to hear it's looking like Catherine's going to do something w/the Olympics. I'd love to see her tackle something to do w/either tying in the Olympics w/attracting more girls to take up Sport/physical activity and/or how Sport can mean everything in the Third World and even cross old tribal lines to bring peace to an area. Something like the work that Right To Play does. I think it would be a perfect fit for her IMO.

No coals from me! That's a good catch; I obviously didn't proofread my post carefully and you get the red pen award for catching my blooper.:ohmy: Naturally, I meant the heir's heir's wife! Glad to have given you a good giggle, but when Kate eventually has a baby and if it's a girl, we can definitely expect a queen regnant!

Last edited:
I know most of us have seen the article on why Beatrice and Eugenie didn't attend the Queen's luncheon this week but how many of us missed the little blurb at the very bottom of the article? Thought this was worth mentioning.

PS In a couple of days she will be putting her feet up along with other members of the Royal Family at Sandringham. But for a few moments yesterday the Duchess of Cambridge was like every other last-minute Christmas shopper as she dashed round her local Waitrose, near Kensington Palace.

Dressed in skinny jeans and brown boots, Kate waited her turn at the checkouts to pay with a credit card and left with two laden carrier bags.

Read more: Why Princess Beatrice said no to the Queen's pre-Christmas lunch | Mail Online

I'm glad Amanda can finally see more clearly! Kate's main "job" is to support her husband - and she is captured, all the time, looking at him so adoringly. And it looks real and spontaneous. He's a lucky man.

I think another poster said it very well; that this couple is modeling themselves on the Queen and Prince Philip's marriage and not Charles and Diana's. Added to it, of course, is their own take on what a good relationship should be.

No offense, but I found the apology kind of empty. The author apparently has a history of criticizing Kate for not having a job for the past 9 years (though wtf a proper job is just escapes me) but why is the author apologizing while none of her criticisms have been addressed? Kate looks adoringly at her husband? William is always there supporting Kate? Ok and what does that have to do with her job? I do admit that comparing her to Diana is equally parts wrong as well as useless and I do hope Kate does not end up acting like Diana; but still her "sorry I had you wrong Kate" motto of the article doesn't seem to have been addressed at all.

It's always bothered me when the media makes snide remarks about Catherine's involvement with her parent's business, as if it couldn't possibly be a 'real job'. If she were a man, they'd be saying that working in the family business was part of being 'groomed to take over the business in the future'. Many people, male and female, go to work for their parent's companies and work very hard, indeed.

And as far as the mean 'Waity Katy' name; obviously she and William had a long term plan for their future, which has since come to fruition. For them to have married earlier would have started the unbearable baby speculation and the pressure to produce an heir or two. By living together they had all the benefits without the pressure to be in the public eye or to become parents before they were ready to.

I just get offended by the "real job" crap because I am a few years younger than Catherine and I haven't had a "real job" either, not for lack of trying. Plus like Kate I got my BA in a floating subject. Catherine did work and she did make money on her own; other children of rich parents don't even attempt to pretend to have a real career goal.

I'm offended by the fact that working for your parents or family business is not consider a "real job"

Last edited:
I felt the same way about the article. She dredged up all her previous criticism with relish, and I thought her "I got you wrong" comment was very tongue in cheek and not at all apologetic. But, consider the source!

i dont get it why people are bothered by her not working. if i had enough money that i could live on the interest, i wouldnt work either. what is so wrong with that?

i dont get it why people are bothered by her not working. if i had enough money that i could live on the interest, i wouldnt work either. what is so wrong with that?

For me it's because I think she DID work. She worked for her family business. For some that isn't good enough, she should have worked somewhere else to PROVE that she actually was working.

For me it's because I think she DID work. She worked for her family business. For some that isn't good enough, she should have worked somewhere else to PROVE that she actually was working.

ok, that makes a little more sense, i guess i wasnt looking at it like that. so should we bash her dad for using 'his family' to help grow his company? (sarcasm) :D

I'm sure life has it's advantages within the makeup of always staying alive where people are abled and can decide to take on an easy life. Ultimately life is a philosophy where one can promote the sensible and aiming in pursuit towards self fulfillment. Then there is an understanding that we all are sensitive creatures with apparent desires to be happy, free, and or content. Catherine has met all these expectations along the way and by now knows that through her prestige and position the advice she gets from her many contacts. Even when she was working for party supply ornaments she must have had the idea that the day may arrive when she will be working for the many countrymen of the UK. So I never dared call her lazy and irresponsible. Sometimes I could not understand why people overlooked this. But that was before and maybe we are ok with her status as an apparent future Queen. One thing I can say is that I approve of all I have seen of her and that she is breathtaking. So I root for her and their land. I hope she has so much fun and regard for the things that make us all matter most of all including our many smiles.

I think Catherine is doing a wonderful job. I don't see her as lazy because instead of sitting back and relaxing after her wedding, she accompanied her husband on a tour overseas, and then undertook engagements (one being solo). She took time to find what causes she wanted to support, and made sure that they were what she was passionate about. Some may not see this as a job, but I think being a source of support for one's spouse is something that at times can be very taxing and difficult. However, just like with parenting, you cannot clock out, because your shift is never over. She's there when he comes home from his rescue missions, or has a bad day. She most likely may need to put his needs before hers, even if she is the one feeling a little down or overwhelmed. That takes effort, and emotional effort at that. Not everyone is strong enough to do it, especially not a person that is lazy and doesn't want to put any effort into anything.

I agree. I don't know how many times I have been seen comments about her work history when it is public information that she did work for her family. The Waity Katie thing got really old really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom