The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Quite amusing that for the DM the use of hair extensions was a bigger news story than the fact that Catherine had carried out her first solo engagement.
I think everyone is probably taken aback that with such a glorious mane of hair, Kate thought the need to wear extensions!!

Old 10-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I am seriously getting the feeling that there is quite a warm rapport between Charles and Catherine and that's something that really is heartwarming.

Kate's dress was absolutely stunning!!
This is her absolute best look yet!!! Except for her wedding dress of course. I want to know about the earrings and bracelet.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I think everyone is probably taken aback that with such a glorious mane of hair, Kate thought the need to wear extensions!!
It's not hair extensions. The DM corrected their story - it's a scar from an operation that she had as a child.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Aristocracy

Daily Mail posted an update. apparently what they say were hair extensions is actually a scar.

Kate's childhood ordeal: Palace reveals Duchess's serious childhood operation that left her with huge scar on her head

as soapstar posted above!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Typical of the Daily Mail, one would hope that this would teach them to verify their stories before publishing them but I somehow doubt it!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
This is her absolute best look yet!!! Except for her wedding dress of course. I want to know about the earrings and bracelet.
Yes, this dress really flatters Kate's figure and shows off her beautiful arms and shoulders. As far as the bracelet and earrings, these were first seen during the NA tour; the earrings were worn with her purple dress at the Canadian concert and the set worn at the BAFTA event in California. The earrings were also worn to Zara's wedding. I heard that the bracelet is Kate's personal property and those earrings perhaps a gift from someone in the RF, but it's unclear where they came from.

And as far as the DM story of hair extensions, it's status quo that these tabloids publish stories before getting their facts straight; glad they amended that blunder but better if they got it straight first time around.

And I love that Kate tapped her mom for surplus stock at Party Pieces for this organization. This girl is on her toes and always thinking!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Majesty

This is from 'Us' magazine. Catherine is doing a great job.I like her quick thinking with the phone call to her Mom for extra supplies, if there were any.

Kate Middleton Stuns in Beaded Gown at Her First Solo Engagement - UsMagazine.com

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Nobility

My Darling Daughter-in-Law

Love that Charles called her "my darling daughter-in-law"
Old 10-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Love that Charles called her "my darling daughter-in-law"
The relationship between Catherine and her in-laws appears to be warm and supportive.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Aristocracy

The New York Post is reporting that Charles first asked William Tuesday to fill in for him, but he was on duty so Catherine stepped up.

Duchess of Cambridge carries out first solo engagement-New York Post
Old 10-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Serene Highness

Well bravo! This young woman never ceases to amaze me. She is truly an inspiration. I'm just so proud of her. She looked elegant and seemed quite comfortable with herself. What an elegant young lady. Good to know that the family loves her.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't see how in any way this woman is inspirational yet. She stepped up for her father in law yes at short notice but I doubt she actually had to do anything other than wear a dress, smile and talk. A dress which btw looks like a nightgown on a ridiculously thin or over worked out woman.
It is nice to see her without he husband and it's nice to know they'll actually be doing something in the next month or so. But I still don't think she's worthy of any high praise for doing what she's supposed to.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
It's not hair extensions. The DM corrected their story - it's a scar from an operation that she had as a child.
If it is a scar, why does it stick out on the bottom? Perhaps some cosmetic surgery is in order.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't see how in any way this woman is inspirational yet. She stepped up for her father in law yes at short notice but I doubt she actually had to do anything other than wear a dress, smile and talk. A dress which btw looks like a nightgown on a ridiculously thin or over worked out woman.
It is nice to see her without he husband and it's nice to know they'll actually be doing something in the next month or so. But I still don't think she's worthy of any high praise for doing what she's supposed to.
I completely agree. Attendance at a private gathering for her father-in-law's patronage is not the same as making her first speech to a large audience (especially in a new language as some other royals-by-marriage have had to do). When that happens, then I'll fully recognise it as her "first solo engagement". I don't mean any offence when I say this but why is the bar set so low for Catherine?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Agree, she married heir of heir and future king of England. Being a princess is her 'job' so it shouldn't be strange or praise worth if she'll attend at charity dinner or two.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate also proceeded to pinch-hit for her father-in-law at short notice and had to prepare for this engagement by familiarizing herself with a new organization, again quite quickly, and basically be hostess for a number of people - sans William or any other support. Perhaps a mere nothing in some people's eyes. But while it is expected that she knows how to handle these functions since it is her job, it also does her credit that she did do well and sets the tone for solo outings where she'll be doing public speaking. The jury is still out until this happens, of course, but by all indications Kate looks like she's quite capable of handling whatever is given to her. Just my own opinion, of course. And I thought Kate looked quite lovely as well.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Kate also proceeded to pinch-hit for her father-in-law at short notice and had to prepare for this engagement by familiarizing herself with a new organization, again quite quickly, and basically be hostess for a number of people - sans William or any other support. Perhaps a mere nothing in some people's eyes. But while it is expected that she knows how to handle these functions since it is her job, it also does her credit that she did do well and sets the tone for solo outings where she'll be doing public speaking. The jury is still out until this happens, of course, but by all indications Kate looks like she's quite capable of handling whatever is given to her. Just my own opinion, of course.
Again, I'm in agreement here. I don't think a lot of people realize that stepping into a role in a short notice, with no knowledge of the cause one will be supporting is quite daunting. I'd love to see some of the people who are quick to criticize to be in Catherine's shoes, and do something similar with no support whatsoever (even if it's for a few hours and one evening). I've been in a similar situation while student teaching, when my cooperating teacher had to take care of an emergency, and left me in charge. It was my first term being in the classroom, and very early in the school year (late September/early October), and I was terrified. I didn't know anything about ancient history, but I had to cover for my CT and make sure that the kids did what they were supposed to. Not fun, especially when you find this out at the end of your prep period, and need to get ready to talk about an essay on the French Revolution, and not have a second to look over blasted ancient history. Yes, there was another certified teacher in the room while I was doing all this, but I still felt at a loss without my CT there to give me a hand if things went awry. So, my hat goes off to Catherine for pulling this off on a short notice and doing it well.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Nobility

I couldn't figure out what the big deal was about Kate's scar. I have a scar on my forehead from a childhood mishap. So does Prince William. But now I see that certain media outlets initially assumed that it was evidence that Kate had hair extensions.

It's good to see that Kate is becoming more comfortable with royal duties and is able to pinch-hit for her father-in-law. I know that a lot of people were expecting a speech, but I think guests at the dinner were happy enough to be greeted without any formal speech.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
And it was her FIRST solo event. It may not seem like it, but I'm pretty sure that life is no walk in the park. No need to be rude. She hasn't been married or doing this for very long. I'm not quite sure what you are expecting. And I thought the dress was lovely and she looked lovely, by the way. William works and she is trying to adjust to her new life. What do you want......
Old 10-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
I couldn't figure out what the big deal was about Kate's scar. I have a scar on my forehead from a childhood mishap. So does Prince William. But now I see that certain media outlets initially assumed that it was evidence that Kate had hair extensions.

It's good to see that Kate is becoming more comfortable with royal duties and is able to pinch-hit for her father-in-law. I know that a lot of people were expecting a speech, but I think guests at the dinner were happy enough to be greeted without any formal speech.

I don't think the scar is a big deal either and it certainly isn't noticeable in Kate's case. But I'm sure the tabloids are quite gleeful that they stumbled upon something related to an incident in Kate's past that they'd just love to find out more about. Who knows, perhaps she was injured in field hockey or some other athletic that required surgery. Injuries happen all the time to anyone who is active in sports but this is purely conjecture, of course.

Closed Thread