The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books

Hmm, do you think we'll see a phenomenon similar to Oprah Winfrey's book club where people will rush out to read what the Duchess reads?
Who knows....I will say I am always open to a good book and the 2 she purchased actually sound interesting so I will probably check them out and see if I'd like them, but not just cause Kate bought them .....I'll take a good book suggestion from anyone, royal and nonroyal alike :)

Old 08-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Hmm, do you think we'll see a phenomenon similar to Oprah Winfrey's book club where people will rush out to read what the Duchess reads?
I think this may draw attention to genres and books that previously may have been put by the wayside for one reason or another. Granted that I won't run out and look at a book just because Catherine or whoever read and liked it, but I think that this may help some authors who never enjoyed that wide of an audience before get a little more exposure.

Her choices do sound interesting. I'm going to guess she likes to read about political leaders and historic events. Not sure what the make of the first book that the article mentions. It sounds a little out there, but then again, we all have different tastes.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
A small glimpse into the Duchess's reading preferences. Would love her thoughts on 'Young Stalin'. I personally find the man to be extremely disturbing and psychotic, and only know of him what has been told to me by family, a Russian history professor, who was a chuck-full of very rare and fascinating facts, and what I've heard from a Russian documentary (and all of that was more than enough, trust me).

Duchess of Cambridge finds inspiration in rabbits and Nazi rebels - Telegraph
I'm not sure if she's read 'Young Stalin' - it was Pippa who was holding the book at the party I've read it though, it's such a great book!

As for ethical fashion, if you shop at lesser known, more high end brands you can often find stuff that's made more ethically. I don't mean Fairtrade standard, but I can guarantee that the Queen's clothes do not cost £15 to make.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I really hope not. I can't stand the influence that people like Oprah and Richard & Judy have over the books we read. I'm a literature student so it infuriates me A book should get by on its own merits, rather than because of who endorses it. For this reason I also have mixed views about the canon...

A lot of my tumblr friends are going out to buy the books tomorrow. Sigh..
Old 08-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
I really hope not. I can't stand the influence that people like Oprah and Richard & Judy have over the books we read. I'm a literature student so it infuriates me A book should get by on its own merits, rather than because of who endorses it. For this reason I also have mixed views about the canon...

I agree with you; I also like to read a book based on its own merits and because I find it appealing to me, not because personalities endorse it. As a librarian, I can tell you we couldn't keep our shelves stocked with the reading material that Oprah endorsed just because she featured it on her show. Of course, from a librarian's perspective, any incentive is good when it gets people to read but, of course, they must use their own judgment. And as Daria mentioned, this could give authors and genres much-needed exposure so we have to see how this unwitting trend of "royal endorsement" takes off.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal

Oprah's book club helped a lot of very talented writers get much needed exposure and she also got a lot of people to read some beautiful, classic novels. I'm not a fan of her shows but I admire her for that.

I doubt the Duchess is trying to do the same though.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Gentry

Virginia Woolf argued that 'rather than selecting books for their intrinsic value, middlebrows select and read what they are told is best' - a bit snobbish, but kind of fits my line of argument. I think it's because I'm a literature student and I've got used to reading stuff like Joyce and Shakespeare. I really enjoy books that wouldn't look out of place on shows like Oprah. But I think it's sad when people will only go out and buy a book when someone who's more famous for being a chat show host than a literature lover tells them to. Anyway, I've just found out that one of Catherine's books was recommended by Richard and Judy :P it does look quite good.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Lets move on.....

Old 08-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Majesty

The Duke of Edinburgh shares kitchen and exercise tips with Kate:

Kate Middleton gets keep-fit tips off Prince Philip, 90 | The Sun |News

Old 08-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post

That's really nice of him! If I were Catherine, I'd listen--Prince Philip is 90 and still going strong!

Quote:
The Duke has also called Autumn, who wed another of his grandsons, Peter Phillips, in 2008.

The source said: "Autumn thought it was a wind-up. She thought it was Prince Harry and started telling him off."
Old 08-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S

I read somewhere that there are Navy calisthenics he does every morning and that William does too. I believe it's a15-20 minute routine for flexibility and strength.

I wish they released a DVD with it :-)

It is sweet that he shared this with Kate and William, and I imagine Autumn thought it was a joke about her weight when she didn't realize it was Prince Philip.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal

Amen. Catherine has great taste in her reading but for anyone to go buy a book because some TV host tells them to or they see someone famous with it, clearly doesn't read for the love of it but just wants to be part of a trend...
Old 08-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator

I read somewhere that there are Navy calisthenics he does every morning and that William does too. I believe it's a15-20 minute routine for flexibility and strength.

It is sweet that he shared this with Kate and William, and I imagine Autumn thought it was a joke about her weight when she didn't realize it was Prince Philip.
Perhaps it's a generational thing or military thing but my grandfather, who is 91 and as strong (both physically and mentally) as ever, does the exact same thing. He taught me a few things as well so good on Catherine for starting it as well!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator View Post

There does appear to be a DVD... is this the same thing do you think? If this is inappropriate Moderators please delete Amazon.com: The Navy Seals Calisthenic Workout DVD: Clothing
Old 08-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
That's really nice of him! If I were Catherine, I'd listen--Prince Philip is 90 and still going strong!

I agree. It's very generous and helpful of Prince Philip to offer and advice. I know that some brides like to do things on their own, and may feel that their own knowledge is being insulted when given advice by a member of the in-law family, but if I were Catherine, I would be very appreciative. Philip has lived this life (and was in her position as a consort), so he would probably have some great tips.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it's great that Philip is calling up his granddaughters-in-law to dispense advice and share exercise routines! Catherine is smart and no doubt knows it's probably a privilege that the patriarch of the royal family is doing this and if I were in her position, I'd also be appreciative and flattered at this sign of favor and welcome.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

This is a sweet article, but i'll be very surprised if it's real. The Sun is worse than the DM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Commoner

Kate Middleton Gets Household Advice from Prince Philip : People.com
Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by figtreecrossing
There does appear to be a DVD... is this the same thing do you think? If this is inappropriate Moderators please delete Amazon.com: The Navy Seals Calisthenic Workout DVD: Clothing
Wow. Thanks. I think the British Navy version is more moderate- stretches and jumping jacks that Prince Philip can still manage. I do appreciate you finding this link!!
Old 08-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Please note that all off topic posts that have nothing to do with Catherine;s current events have been deleted.

Closed Thread