The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator View Post
She could purchase the items herself, then donate or auction them. If UK taxes are like US taxes, the value of the donation would be tax deductible. She could start with a goal of 100 outfits a year and an equal number of accessories.

Textiles and related jobs are labor intensive and sector growth leads to job creation. She has already brought alot of attention to English laces and fabrics with her dress. She can translate the enormous international interest into something lasting for the British economy.

You're really on to something here. Perhaps Catherine should hire you (and I'm not being ornery or sarcastic either) and have you help her think outside the box.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:35 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

On August 8th, Kate was seen at the Wilkinson family value store, in Holyhead (North Wales). The Duchess wore almost identical clothing to last week, at the supermarket... Some say it is an attempt to deter the attention of paparazzi:

http://bauergriffinonline.com/2011/08/catherine-duchess-of-cambridge.php?bfm_index=1

Old 08-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Gentry

I remember that JOhn F. Kennedy jr. and his wife Carolyn Bessette tried the same trick. They wore the same clothes for some time when going shopping at home in NY, etc. Unfortunately, it did not work, they were still hunted by the paparazzi.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa M. View Post
On August 8th, Kate was seen at the Wilkinson family value store, in Holyhead (North Wales). The Duchess wore almost identical clothing to last week, at the supermarket... Some say it is an attempt to deter the attention of paparazzi:

http://bauergriffinonline.com/2011/08/catherine-duchess-of-cambridge.php?bfm_index=1
Why the Hell can't the gutter press leave her alone. They hunted her M-i-L to her death. Don't they ever learn.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Why the Hell can't the gutter press leave her alone. They hunted her M-i-L to her death. Don't they ever learn.
That's what's making me feel uneasy too.
If Catherine is thinking of ways to "bore" the paps good for her.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I wish it was the case (that they would learn from the past), but unfortunately, these types of people think only of their wallet . They know these pictures will sell, so they take them. Also, it doesn't help that a fellow shopper can take out a mobile phone, snap a picture and send it to a newspaper or other news source. Catherine is on the right track, but I don't think it's really working since we're still seeing the pictures. Sad, but true.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Ermmm no? Catherine is there to sell. She knew what she got herself into when she married into the royal family. She will be photographed everywhere she goes. If Catherine has no problem with them, then why should we argue for her?
Old 08-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

Ermmm no? Catherine is there to sell. She knew what she got herself into when she married into the royal family. She will be photographed everywhere she goes. If Catherine has no problem with them, then why should we argue for her?
I have to agree with you. She spent eight years as William's trick pony studying day and night for this job. She wanted this job and any feigned intolerance for the papa is "just part of the plan".
Old 08-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't see it as arguing for her, I see it as having different opinions about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator View Post
I have to agree with you. She spent eight years as William's trick pony studying day and night for this job. She wanted this job and any feigned intolerance for the papa is "just part of the plan".
Trick pony? What is that supposed to mean?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Gentry

I've got to agree that it's not necessarily unreasonable to take pictures of Catherine out shopping. Unlike many royals, William and Catherine have the luxury of living undisturbed on a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere and aren't photographed there, or every time they go out. You can't have your cake and eat it. It's not as if she has to worry about how she looks in the pictures anyway.

As for the clothes...I find the pretence that she's feeling the pinch as well as us a bit irritating. She's a duchess: of course she could wear a dress a day if she wanted to, and it's not as if wearing a $300 sweater three times in public makes it look like you have to make sacrifices.

I also wish that she'd dress more ethically: her 195 Reiss Shola dress was made in a sweatshop for less than 15. I'd rather she wore good quality clothes that didn't scream high fashion. It's not as if Reiss deserves a royal warrant...
Old 08-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
I've got to agree that it's not necessarily unreasonable to take pictures of Catherine out shopping. Unlike many royals, William and Catherine have the luxury of living undisturbed on a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere and aren't photographed there, or every time they go out. You can't have your cake and eat it. It's not as if she has to worry about how she looks in the pictures anyway.

As for the clothes...I find the pretence that she's feeling the pinch as well as us a bit irritating. She's a duchess: of course she could wear a dress a day if she wanted to, and it's not as if wearing a $300 sweater three times in public makes it look like you have to make sacrifices.

I also wish that she'd dress more ethically: her 195 Reiss Shola dress was made in a sweatshop for less than 15. I'd rather she wore good quality clothes that didn't scream high fashion. It's not as if Reiss deserves a royal warrant...
Do you have proof for that, a source?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy

There was a DM article and other publications on it, (I am not saying it accurate, just that there was one) the link is in this forum or maybe the fashion one and it was widely discussed......

Edit- here's the article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-99p-hour.html

Edit- and another with a different view, which I think is meant to explain it or say it's not true but reads as less of an actual denial IMO then a justification
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...op-outfit.html
Old 08-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy

Yes but I'm on my mobile phone. Go to the Daily Mail website and type in 'duchess of Cambridge reiss shola dress factory cost workers' or something. They actually went to the factory in which it was made. I was like :O
Old 08-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ

There was a DM article and other publications on it, (I am not saying it accurate, just that there was one) the link is in this forum or maybe the fashion one and it was widely discussed......

Edit- here's the article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-99p-hour.html

Edit- and another with a different view, which I think is meant to explain it or say it's not true but reads as less of an actual denial IMO then a justification
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...op-outfit.html
Aha, you got there first! Thanks
Old 08-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Gentry

What annoys me is that David Reiss claimed that the company spends 45 million on salaries, but how much of that goes to the workers producing those clothes and how much goes to the bigwigs? It means nothing without more details. Kate has such an amazing opportunity to lead the way in terms of more ethically sourced British fashion, and she chooses a dress that was made in a Romanian factory (arguably a sweatshop) for 15. I went into Reiss lately and they were selling a tatty skirt with beading that was falling off, priced at 180. It's crazy. They're using the brand to bump up their prices, as so many shops do these days.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Majesty

A small glimpse into the Duchess's reading preferences. Would love her thoughts on 'Young Stalin'. I personally find the man to be extremely disturbing and psychotic, and only know of him what has been told to me by family, a Russian history professor, who was a chuck-full of very rare and fascinating facts, and what I've heard from a Russian documentary (and all of that was more than enough, trust me).

Duchess of Cambridge finds inspiration in rabbits and Nazi rebels - Telegraph

Old 08-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I can't understand the fuss over Catherine going shopping.

I've shopped at Wilkinsons in the past, and I still do occasionally, though I've moved house.

Catherine can also log into FB: WilkinsonPlus | Facebook

WilkinsonPlus - Home & Baby, DIY & Decorating, Garden & Pet, Sheds, Household & Pets, Toys, Games & Leisure, Special Offers, Health, Beauty & Babycare, Bikes
Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post

I suspect most companies obtain their clothing from similar sweatshops.
Reiss is definitely not alone.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I suspect most companies obtain their clothing from similar sweatshops.
Reiss is definitely not alone.
And I also suspect that the number of ethical shops are close to none.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
A small glimpse into the Duchess's reading preferences. Would love her thoughts on 'Young Stalin'. I personally find the man to be extremely disturbing and psychotic, and only know of him what has been told to me by family, a Russian history professor, who was a chuck-full of very rare and fascinating facts, and what I've heard from a Russian documentary (and all of that was more than enough, trust me).

Duchess of Cambridge finds inspiration in rabbits and Nazi rebels - Telegraph
Hmm, do you think we'll see a phenomenon similar to Oprah Winfrey's book club where people will rush out to read what the Duchess reads?

Closed Thread