The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the info, Alex. I would think with Kate's minders around, no one could approach her anyway (I was being facetious about the melons!), but in the spirit of politeness you'd treat her as you would any stranger with whom you had some lingering eye contact by acknowledgement with a quick smile or nod and go about your business.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Serene Highness

"Excuse me, your royal highness, this is the express lane"

Years ago, when I worked in mid-town Manhattan, I would frequently encounter well-known people when I shopped in Saks Fifth Avenue or in a particular green grocer. At work, when discussing these encounters, someone would inevitably ask, "What did you say to him/her?"

I always answered, "Nothing, of course- what would I have to say that he/she would be interested in?" (Unless his zipper was open, or she had a trailing of bathroom tissue stuck on her boot- fortunately, that never occurred, so I didn't have to bear bad tidings to a celeb.)

Just a polite smile always seemed the best thing if I inadvertently caught someone's eye; an easy solution, and no embarrassment on either side.

Oops, a disclaimer: I once shouted, "We love you, Lance!" when I saw Armstrong riding by in Paris, on his way to his second Tour win.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Heir Apparent

I love those anecdotes!!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Administrator

I live in the DC area and I have also seen a couple of famous people out and about. I basically leave them alone (especially if they are eating) as I think that everyone entitled to a bit of privacy.

Now one time I was on my way home from VA (traffic is so bad that I would drive thru DC to get to MD where I lived)...and I am sitting on traffic on 12th street. I am bobbing my head, because my song is on...look to the side of me...and there is President Clinton in his limo drinking a bottle of water, smiling at me! I smile back :) Which in itself is odd, because in the DC area, the President is usually always moving and there are cops that drive ahead to block traffic and to make sure he is moving. But this was before 9/11 so things were different. I also saw Yasser Arfat around Pentagon City mall while out to lunch, but I wouldn't wave....there were like 2 guys each in his car and the one behind him with machine guns! So sometime its not fun to see famous people in DC :(

Anyway back to topic, I would probably just nod and let Catherine continue with her shopping. There is an on time IMO that she is on display and out in public working and there is off time when she should be able to be Catherine and not the Duchess of Cambridge.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
)..and I am sitting on traffic on 12th street. I am bobbing my head, because my song is on...look to the side of me...and there is President Clinton in his limo drinking a bottle of water, smiling at me! I smile back :) Which in itself is odd, because in the DC area, the President is usually always moving and there are cops that drive ahead to block traffic and to make sure he is moving. But this was before 9/11 so things were different. I also saw Yasser Arfat around Pentagon City mall while out to lunch, but I wouldn't wave....there were like 2 guys each in his car and the one behind him with machine guns! So sometime its not fun to see famous people in DC :(

Anyway back to topic, I would probably just nod and let Catherine continue with her shopping. There is an on time IMO that she is on display and out in public working and there is off time when she should be able to be Catherine and not the Duchess of Cambridge.
About Clinton, that is so ! And very ! I bet you were like, " Wow"
Or maybe that would be me!
Arafat- If there were machine guns nearby , I would not wave either. Wise move.
About Catherine I so agree about her being allowed to be Catherine. I read something today complaining that what she wore to do the grocery shopping, was not grand enough for a Duchess.
Newsflash: Grocery shopping is not a grand affair.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
About Catherine I so agree about her being allowed to be Catherine. I read something today complaining that what she wore to do the grocery shopping, was not grand enough for a Duchess.
What the heck is she supposed to wear, high heels, an evening gown and a tiara?!!! Sheesh!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I live in the DC area and I have also seen a couple of famous people out and about. I basically leave them alone (especially if they are eating) as I think that everyone entitled to a bit of privacy.

Now one time I was on my way home from VA (traffic is so bad that I would drive thru DC to get to MD where I lived)...and I am sitting on traffic on 12th street. I am bobbing my head, because my song is on...look to the side of me...and there is President Clinton in his limo drinking a bottle of water, smiling at me! I smile back :) Which in itself is odd, because in the DC area, the President is usually always moving and there are cops that drive ahead to block traffic and to make sure he is moving. But this was before 9/11 so things were different. I also saw Yasser Arfat around Pentagon City mall while out to lunch, but I wouldn't wave....there were like 2 guys each in his car and the one behind him with machine guns! So sometime its not fun to see famous people in DC :(

That is amazing that Clinton smiled at you! I once saw Kirsten Dunst here in NYC. I didn't go all fanboy on her, just politely smiled and continueed walking. I would do the same if I saw Kate shopping.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
That is amazing that Clinton smiled at you!

Bill Clinton is truly magical. He can catch your eye across a crowded room and speak to you. Such a rare and astounding individual. And brilliant. One of the greatest visionaries of our times.

(Please, no political commentary.)
Old 08-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Exactly and Tesco pretty much has the image of the chain that attracts people who mind their pennies.
For example, Sainsbury's is considered far more posh.
Tesco and Sainsbury are both mainstream, only Waitrose and M&S are really considered premium in the UK.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Again...she can't win.

If she wears what we wear (well I think we all dont' get dressed up to go grocery shopping you might be dressed up if you are coming or going somewhere else but whatever) you have people complaining that she isn't dressed up, its a photo op, she isn't normal.

If she sends someone out to get her groceries -- she thinks she is better than us, she has forgotten who she is, etc.

Face it...while William and Kate are in Wales --- she is going to try to do normal things and for that I don't blame them. After his tour is over or God forbid, the Queen dies before they leave Wales ---- she won't have time to do ordinary grocery shopping in the future.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Courtier

By looking at pictures of Kate and Will out and about and were taken by the paps, are we in some small way supporting what the paps do?

I'm guilty of looking at the pics, and I do feel a little guilty afterwards.

When Diana was killed, I blamed the tabloids who paid for the pics thus the people who bought the tabloids who then paid the photogs, were in some small way responsible.

With pictures much more available today than they were 14 years ago, are we not playing into the promotion of photogs getting "the" pic of any celeb who is out and about doing "ordinary" things?

I'm not pointing fingers or calling anyone out, as I stated above, I'm just as guilty. Perhaps I'm trying to ease my guilt as I love seeing pics of Will and Kate especially doing ordinary everyday things, like walking in the park holding hands. I think that is so sweet and romantic.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Again...she can't win.

If she wears what we wear (well I think we all dont' get dressed up to go grocery shopping you might be dressed up if you are coming or going somewhere else but whatever) you have people complaining that she isn't dressed up, its a photo op, she isn't normal.

If she sends someone out to get her groceries -- she thinks she is better than us, she has forgotten who she is, etc.

Face it...while William and Kate are in Wales --- she is going to try to do normal things and for that I don't blame them. After his tour is over or God forbid, the Queen dies before they leave Wales ---- she won't have time to do ordinary grocery shopping in the future.

Agreed. This is another case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Should Kate have worn the Scroll tiara and a gown while shopping? She's only trying to maintain some normality in her life while she's able to, which is certainly understandable, because in the future any semblance of a routine life will no longer exist. These might be very precious days for her, performing those tasks while she can in this quiet period of time before she and William are truly thrust into the public domain and service.

BTW, those anecdotes about Clinton and Arafat are priceless!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
About Clinton, that is so ! And very ! I bet you were like, " Wow"
Or maybe that would be me!
Arafat- If there were machine guns nearby , I would not wave either. Wise move.
You know, I won't be surprised if some people actually did expect her to dress up to go and buy groceries. I personally think it's a bit ridiculous, but hey, this is coming from a person who doesn't wear make up or own a dress. I also suspect that a good number of people don't realize that there's such a thing as 'off' time, when Catherine is not the Duchess of Cambridge at a public engagement, but just Kate, doing her grocery shopping, or what have you. When she's 'off', she can walk around in her yoga pants, and I'd applaud her for doing what she's comfortable with, rather than following the press and doing what is expected. That's what 'on' time is for.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Commoner

Catherine included in Vanity Fair's best dressed list

Vanity Fair Best Dressed: Kate Middleton Style – Style News - StyleWatch - People.com
Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

Kate Middleton Grocery Shopping Pictures
Old 08-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika86 View Post
Now the real question that enquiring minds need to know.

What disinfectant brand does Kate use cleaning the throne?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Too funny!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 PM

All I know is that the Duchess dresses way better than I do when I go grocery shopping, I am in a t-shirt and sweatpants :)
Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Oh goodness! That is classic .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Nobility

I may not be normal - I talk to strangers all the time - but I would venture a smile and a hello if I met Catherine out shopping.

I work part time in a store, and we do get celebrities in their from time to time. I treat them just like I would any other customer. I'm good at an opening remark to just about anyone.

I was at a dinner with Charles and Diana in Vancouver in 1986. She was seated at the table next to me. Charles was at the podium right beside me. He was teasing her a bit because that is the day she fainted at Expo '86. I caught her eye and gave her a sympathetic smile. She smiled back. Granted...she was on duty at the time.

As long as you didn't get in her face, I'm sure Catherine wouldn't be offended by normal interaction.

Closed Thread