The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Courtier

Lovely shopping photos. Unfortunately that does come with the job and Kate will always be photographed here and there. Nice to see her minding her own business and simply attending to her shopping chores. Best way to handle the press. I think in spite of all the royal residences at their disposal, Kate does prefer having a normal life and probably loves cooking for william.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Aristocracy

British pub renamed 'The Duchess of Cambridge' in Royal Catherine's honour | News.com.au

so here's a bit of strange news...

Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
How swift we are to turn Kate Middleton into a new Diana | News

that is so sad..imo she is justing doing her job

i say go for it...they have to start a family and aroma therapy is very helpful...
lavender, ylang ylang, rose are all aphrodisiacs esp ylang ylang use with caution :)
can we start a baby watch or is that wrong?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent

My read on the article was sympathetic of Kate; not wanting her to be the "new Diana."

As for "babywatching," Kate has stated they wanted to wait a couple of years, didn't she? Correct me, please, if that is not the case.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Commoner

Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton: the etiquette of being a Duchess - mirror.co.uk
Old 07-30-2011, 03:15 AM
Heir Apparent

The expression on the Queen's face in the pic in this article is hysterical and priceless...
She looks like she just smelled a REALLY bad odor....
Old 07-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Majesty

I had no idea that Catherine was on any sort of 'probation'. Where do these people come up with things like that?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royal-w...5875-23303192/

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:46 AM
Commoner

Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton: They've gone nuts for her in America - mirror.co.uk
Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Actually, I thought the Mirror article on Catherine's "probation" to be complimentary of her and very tongue in cheek.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

PIC: Duchess Kate Goes Grocery Shopping! - UsMagazine.com
Old 08-01-2011, 08:09 PM

more photos of Kate shopping

There are a bunch more photos on Bauer-Griffin, but you can't right-click and save them, at least I couldn't.

Celebrity News | Celebrity Photos | Celebrity Gossip | BauerGriffinOnline.com
Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, I never thought grocery shopping would hold so much fascination for me! The Tesco looks like the U.K. version of Costco here in the States.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Well, I never thought grocery shopping would hold so much fascination for me! The Tesco looks like the U.K. version of Costco here in the States.
Tesco is the UKs largest supermarket chain, positioned very much as a mainstream supermarket. It is not a members only club like Costco.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Tesco is the UKs largest supermarket chain, positioned very much as a mainstream supermarket. It is not a members only club like Costco.
Exactly and Tesco pretty much has the image of the chain that attracts people who mind their pennies.
For example, Sainsbury's is considered far more posh.
Kate buying at Tesco's only adds to the "normal" image the BRF has started to build for K&W.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

This might sound strange, but if I were a shopper in that tesco in Anglessey, and happen to turn around and see The Duchess of Cambridge stood looking at the lettuce, I would feel supremely awkward. Do you say hi, give advice on lettuce, ask for an autograph? Because presumably if you Catherine walks around the shop and everyone just shys away from her, she'd feel for want of a better word, lonely?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

I guess if I suddenly came across her, I would pass her by as if she were any other shopper & then gape from behind the fresh veg. Afterwards I would regret not having said a friendly hello.
This particular branch of Tesco must have seen its numbers soar in recent weeks - I can remember many years' ago when Diana popped into Tescos at Stratford upon Avon & the store gained a celeb status for a short while.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think ordinary people are quite cool about royals or celebrities, they have other things to worry about. Especially if you live in the area and get used to seeing William or Kate around on a regular basis.

A friend of mine lives in Manchester and although I found it hard to believe, she told me that people from the area where many footballers couldnt care less about (at the time) Cristiano Ronaldo shopping in tight jeans etc. They got used to it and moved on with their lifes, that's it. When I lived in London I frequently saw Jude Law with his kids, first time you think "wow" but after a while you hardly notice.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent

I come in this wonderful Forum almost every day. I am an American and we, as a population, are not ga ga over Kate. Some are, but it's mostly a media frenzy. I live in a city that is very popular with "stars" as a lot of movies are made here and it is the center of the hip-hop kingdom. Duke of Marmalade is correct that perhaps the first time you see someone famous, you take a second look...after that, so what!

I also agree with Lumutqueen with feeling awkward in the presence of a celebrity. I would never presume to interfere with their daily life. I wouldn't approach a regular stranger, so why would I impose myself on Kate or anyone else.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd like to think that I would be able to approach Kate to say hi or congratulations on her marriage if I saw her in the grocery store, but for me it would be very awkward to just walk up to basically a perfect stranger to do so. I think she's genuinely a warm person and under those casual circumstances, if she's out and about doing her shopping herself, she would somewhat expect people to react to her appearance and be gracious to them. As Lumutqueen says, she might feel somewhat lonely if shoppers shied away from her if she's among them doing the same tasks as they are. But I'd love to gear up the nerve to ask her opinion on which melon is the ripest!

However, if Kate consistently appeared out and about in the area, I'd definitely honor her privacy and let her get on with her business and treat her presence as normal.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Courtier

Please can I help with a little background information here?

Some years ago Buckingham Palace [probably because the then Princess of Wales was frequently being encountered whilst out shopping in London stores!!] issued guidance as to how members of the public should behave if and when they encountered a Royal 'shopping': the guidance was that IF your eyes happened to meet that of the Royal concerned, the appropriate form was to perform a very brief curtsey and then return to whatever you were doing: Approaching the Royal in question and / or speaking to them was quite incorrect. [As an interesting point, until Diana married into the BRF, it was almost unheard of for a 'major' member of the BRF to be encountered whilst out shopping. Ladies in waiting traditonally used to take care of the 'bits and bobs' shopping that their Royal mistress required and larger purchases such as items for the Royal wardrobe were taken care of by the couturier etc actually attending on the Royal concerend at BP or KP etc.]

The advice was based on the principle that the essence of etiquette is in fact good manners: if one's eyes happened to meet those of a 'shopping Royal', it would be discourteous not to acknowledge the Royal in question.

I would add a couple of riders to this: since the advice was issued [mid 1980's] BP is swinging away from the previously sacrosanct rule that curtseying was essential when meeting a Royal; nowadays, a curtsey is NOT strictly necessary when meeting Royalty, although certain members of the [older] Royal Family apparently still welcome this [eg. HM!]; others - particularly the Queen's children when working - do NOT require a curtsey and usually their staff brief people to this effect. The second rider is that obviously the 'curtseying whilst shopping' rule would only have applied to those who would ordinarily have curtseyed to the BRF - Americans for example would automatically be excepted!

Bearing in mind that Catherine is trying to live what I would call 'a largely ordinary life' at times, I would suggest that, following on from the old BP guidance and giving it a 'twist' from the point of view that we are now some 25 years further on since it was issued, I would submit that if one's eyes beheld Catherine for so long that to look away and ignore her could be deemed rude [after all, she IS married to a person in the direct line of succession], the polite thing to do would be to very quickly nod one's head in acknowledgement and then quickly go back to one's own shopping. If one's eyes were only momentarily to register the presence of Catherine, I would think that the best cause of action would be to ignore her and concentrate on one's own shopping.

Hope this is of interest

Alex

Closed Thread