The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Serene Highness

I really question that a palace source would give out that kind of information. The purchase maybe, but not the cost amount. IF she did indeed spend that much I'm thinking someone in the business where she bought them must have snitched. Not a nice thing to do, IMO.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Baroness View Post
Typical example of Daily Mail journalism at its finest. Lots of publications like to make sly little digs at Camilla or just tend to ignore her Royal existence altogether. I lol'd every time I saw news outlets claiming Kate was "the first commoner in xx years to marry a heir to the throne."

Well.....she is. She's the first woman of a non-royal, non-aristocratic background to marry a future King in over 300 years. Camilla's mother was The Honourable Rosalind Cubitt, the daughter of the 3rd Baron Ashecombe, and his wife Sonia Keppel. Sonia Keppel was the daughter of The Honourable George Keppel and his wife Alice, the former mistress of Edward VII. There is no such aristocratic background in Catherine's family. While Camilla may not have had a royal or aristocratic title from birth as Charles's first wife did, she came from an aristocratic family.

So that was not an error on the Daily Mail's part, nor on any other journalist who prints as such.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Well.....she is. She's the first woman of a non-royal, non-aristocratic background to marry a future King in over 300 years. Camilla's mother was The Honourable Rosalind Cubitt, the daughter of the 3rd Baron Ashecombe, and his wife Sonia Keppel. Sonia Keppel was the daughter of The Honourable George Keppel and his wife Alice, the former mistress of Edward VII. There is no such aristocratic background in Catherine's family. While Camilla may not have had a royal or aristocratic title from birth as Charles's first wife did, she came from an aristocratic family.

So that was not an error on the Daily Mail's part, nor on any other journalist who prints as such.
I was actually commenting on the DM's confusing statement that Catherine would take precedence over Camilla at Balmoral (I think more of the discussion was moved into the Order of Precedence thread) and then kind of weirdly segued into how some journalists tended to skip over the fact that Camilla was a commoner marrying an heir too. Sorry for the confusion, it's nice to know about The Duchess of Cornwall's ancestry though!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I do believe it's an enormous difference if you are just a guest at Balmoral (like top politicians) or if you are family.The queen's cousin Margaret Rhodes wrote only lovely things about her stays at Balmoral, how she has been pampered by staff and enjoyed herself enormously when being together with the Queen and her family. If Catherine has any questions there is William to answer them. She can always turn to him when she is tired or bored or want to do something else and nobody will mind if William says: Dear family, Kate and I need a bit of time together, maybe even get some rest before dinner.... On the contrary, I rather think the queen will be delighted then...
I agree that Catherine and William will only spend a long weekend or two in Balmoral. William is a search-and-rescue pilot and so technically would not have enough leave to enjoy an extended break at Balmoral [the Queen stays there each year until early October]. It was different in the case of Charles and Diana; Charles did not have a working life outside his duties as Prince of Wales by the time he married Diana; his naval career had ceased several years previously.

Hope this helps

Alex
Old 07-21-2011, 05:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I really question that a palace source would give out that kind of information. The purchase maybe, but not the cost amount. IF she did indeed spend that much I'm thinking someone in the business where she bought them must have snitched. Not a nice thing to do, IMO.

According to the British papers, the scented candles etc came from the firm of interior designer Kelly Hoppen, who has also been commissioned to take care of the interior decoration at the couple's new house. Catherine apparently is opting for a more minamalist style. Traditional 'Royal' interior decoration is what people sometimes call 'English Country House style' -chintzes, [think 'Colefax and Fowler'] lots of small tables [naturally with table cloths] covered in photographs in silver frames, knick-knacks etc, ancestral portraits on the walls etc etc,

Kelly Hoppen [who is sometimes described as the step-mother of Sienna Miller] works to a more contemporary sleek style. As many people loathe her 'look' as love it - occasionally 'crusty old colonel' types announce that the Hoppen signature style appeals to brash City bankers whose backgrounds have not furnished them with the necessary social background to provide ancestral portraits etc.

I have seen gigantic Kelly Hoppen scented candles for £90, and as the papers are claiming that Catherine has ordered 6 months' supply, I daresay it all mounts up.

I must say that when I have visited Kensington Palace [to look round at the exhibitions etc] the public parts I have seen always make it seem the gloomiest of London's Royal Palaces. Maybe Catherine and William's first home seems similarly gloomy.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Nobility

I think it's the candles that put it over the top in price and who knows what candle holders etc are involved. The headline about air fresheners is just an attention grabber.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Anyway, there are professionals who can take care of musty smells. .
Musty smells come from aspargilus niger - on inhaling it can trigger all sorts of allergies.
Aromacandles, airfresheners etc. don't help- on the contrary, they can lead to even more danger of acquiring allergies, especially when kids are concerned. So I hope they found an appartment they want to move in permanently and have that renovated according to modern health standards. For that doesn't sound good to me at all.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Aristocracy

This was reported some time ago- prior to the Canada trip. I wonder why it's being reported again now?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Commoner

Kate Middleton Fashion, Style & Shopping Influence (Vogue.com UK)
Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Please note that all posts regarding the presence of the Queen and the Duchess of Cambridge at the Buckingham Palace exhibit have been moved to http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...1-a-31428.html .

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 07-24-2011, 06:10 AM
Heir Apparent

a nice encounter with the Duchess
City Girls and...: The day I met Kate...
Another girl over at the The Fashion Spot forum also met her/saw her but this time at Zara apparently she was asked by the Duchess' protection officers to not take any photos
Old 07-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Commoner

Leave Kate alone about her weight
Old 07-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
According to the British papers, the scented candles etc came from the firm of interior designer Kelly Hoppen, who has also been commissioned to take care of the interior decoration at the couple's new house. Catherine apparently is opting for a more minamalist style. Traditional 'Royal' interior decoration is what people sometimes call 'English Country House style' -chintzes, [think 'Colefax and Fowler'] lots of small tables [naturally with table cloths] covered in photographs in silver frames, knick-knacks etc, ancestral portraits on the walls etc etc,

Kelly Hoppen [who is sometimes described as the step-mother of Sienna Miller] works to a more contemporary sleek style. As many people loathe her 'look' as love it - occasionally 'crusty old colonel' types announce that the Hoppen signature style appeals to brash City bankers whose backgrounds have not furnished them with the necessary social background to provide ancestral portraits etc.

I have seen gigantic Kelly Hoppen scented candles for £90, and as the papers are claiming that Catherine has ordered 6 months' supply, I daresay it all mounts up.

I must say that when I have visited Kensington Palace [to look round at the exhibitions etc] the public parts I have seen always make it seem the gloomiest of London's Royal Palaces. Maybe Catherine and William's first home seems similarly gloomy.
Thats funny because it was said that they moved into KP because St. James Palace was really gloomy!
I think eventually they will make their way to Pr. Margaret's former digs.
You can see the photo's I posted of apt 1A in the Royal Residences section under KP.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Catherine apparently is opting for a more minamalist style. Traditional 'Royal' interior decoration is what people sometimes call 'English Country House style' -chintzes, [think 'Colefax and Fowler'] lots of small tables [naturally with table cloths] covered in photographs in silver frames, knick-knacks etc, ancestral portraits on the walls etc etc,

I hate minimalist, modern decor! And love English Country. But to each her own; Kate has her own taste, it will be interesting to see what she opts for.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Please note that specualtive posts about Catherine conceiving (or having problems conceiving) have been deleted.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I hate minimalist, modern decor! And love English Country.
Me too! Minimalist decor is so cold and impersonal. I would have to fill a space like that with hundreds of knicknacks to feel comfortable in it.

(I do love scented candles, though, so I agree with Kate on that.)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I hate minimalist, modern decor! And love English Country. But to each her own; Kate has her own taste, it will be interesting to see what she opts for.
I have to agree. Minimalist decor has it's place in sleek modern homes and rooms, however in old homes with history and charactor, it doesn't work well IMO. With all the wonderful antiques at their disposal, I am sure they could incorprate modern with traditional to pay homage to history with an updated feel. Not like Diana's former home decor, but something more updated and less fussy and cluttered.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I have to agree. Minimalist decor has it's place in sleek modern homes and rooms, however in old homes with history and charactor, it doesn't work well IMO. With all the wonderful antiques at their disposal, I am sure they could incorprate modern with traditional to pay homage to history with an updated feel. Not like Diana's former home decor, but something more updated and less fussy and cluttered.
To be honest, I have no idea where my thoughts on this came from and its just a "feeling" I have about the decor of their London base. By "minimalistic" I think perhaps they are going for "serviceable". As in not decorating their place with a lot of priceless antiques, paintings and doo-dads that are often seen in residences of royals. I can see a nice comfy Lazy Boy for Wills in front of the TV that's big enough for two. They seem more the kind of folks right now that would want a couch or bed or a toaster because they need one more so than having museum quality items.

The grand estate/home will come for the both of them in time when they have decided where they want their roots to be raising their family.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Serene Highness

There is no way of knowing how long they will be in the cottage either, it may be that it is merely stopgap and they don't want to do a lot of decorating. If some rumors turn out to be true it may be that they will be moving yet again into the apartment used by the late Princess Margaret. At this point the only thing they really need is a place to stay when in London and for their own privacy.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:37 AM
Royal Highness

What they need at the moment is a "no fuss"-home that can be easily cleaned and kept tidy. I don't see them spending too much time there - they go to London for a purpose, their real home is on Anglesey. I can eg imagine that Catherine keeps her more formal dresses in a room at Clarence House and shares Camilla's dresser while William does the same on using his father's valet's services occassionally.

Closed Thread