The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Just how does the Daily Mail determine that Kate outranks the Duchess of Cornwall under any circumstances? They are both commoners who married into the family.
Typical example of Daily Mail journalism at its finest. Lots of publications like to make sly little digs at Camilla or just tend to ignore her Royal existence altogether. I lol'd every time I saw news outlets claiming Kate was "the first commoner in xx years to marry a heir to the throne."

Old 07-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
This made my head spin. The only aspect I'd enjoy is the walking. Everything else would just make me nervous. Thank you for the article. It gave a good insight into what it may be like at Balmoral.
I do believe it's an enormous difference if you are just a guest at Balmoral (like top politicians) or if you are family.The queen's cousin Margaret Rhodes wrote only lovely things about her stays at Balmoral, how she has been pampered by staff and enjoyed herself enormously when being together with the Queen and her family. If Catherine has any questions there is William to answer them. She can always turn to him when she is tired or bored or want to do something else and nobody will mind if William says: Dear family, Kate and I need a bit of time together, maybe even get some rest before dinner.... On the contrary, I rather think the queen will be delighted then...

Old 07-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I do believe it's an enormous difference if you are just a guest at Balmoral (like top politicians) or if you are family.The queen's cousin Margaret Rhodes wrote only lovely things about her stays at Balmoral, how she has been pampered by staff and enjoyed herself enormously when being together with the Queen and her family. If Catherine has any questions there is William to answer them. She can always turn to him when she is tired or bored or want to do something else and nobody will mind if William says: Dear family, Kate and I need a bit of time together, maybe even get some rest before dinner.... On the contrary, I rather think the queen will be delighted then...
Thank you for the clarification. It is appreciated.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Questions about the Order of Precedence as it relates to the Duchess of Cambridge (and other members of the BRF) have been moved to Order of Precedence .

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S
Another article on Catherine's weight and her being compared to her late mother-in-law.

How swift we are to turn Kate Middleton into a new Diana | News
Uh is this true?
''Yesterday another paper couldn't resist illustrating its report that she was to sit for an official portrait with a reproduction of a painting of her late mother-in-law.''

If yes, that's flipping creepy? I doubt it's true but still....
Old 07-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Courtier

I'm sure William is filling her in. I remember reading some wait and see if anyone sits in the chair that Victoria sat in. The family seem to have made some sort of game out of it. Are there showers there or just baths? It would be lovely for a visit I can understand why some get bored there are only so many walks you can do!
Old 07-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Wow - Balmoral sounds very strict! I was thinking of a relaxing vacation without all the protocol.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetiger View Post
It might be beautiful but by all accounts it's cold (both inside the castle and outdoor).

Kate Middleton and Prince William: Summer at Balmoral? Don't forget your thermal undies | Mail Online

There might be a few fun activities here and there but largely it sounds like a bore. I would make sure that the alcohol kept flowing as constant as possible.
If Catherine is trying to become or is already pregnant, then I doubt that she'll chose 'liquid' courage this trip. It sounds lovely to me, except for the shooting animals bit (oddly, fishing I would enjoy - and they're as much animals as deer.) I wonder if it will just be the Queen and Phillip and the Cambridges or a bigger family gathering.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Courtier

Call me crazy, but I think I might enjoy a weekend at Balmoral, minus the formality as that is just not me. But I guess if you can't accept one part of the package, you have to accept the whole thing.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
Call me crazy, but I think I might enjoy a weekend at Balmoral, minus the formality as that is just not me. But I guess if you can't accept one part of the package, you have to accept the whole thing.
Yes, kind of like 'when in Rome...', only here it'd be 'when at Balmoral...'.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
As for pictures from Balmoral, I have a feeling we are not going to get any. They're on a holiday, so there's no reason for any photo calls (though there were a few throughout the years). I guess we'll see what happens.

Bearing in mind the HUGE interest in Catherine, and also taking into account that there are some whispers arising about the fact that the Waleses have shown themselves to the people in Canada and the 'Hollywood Royalty' in the USA but have been less visible in this country since their wedding [they did attend a couple of 'closed' events here such as Arpad Busson's party] I would not be surprised if BP come to some sort of arrangement whereby the couple pose for photographs at the start of their break ON THE UNDERSTANDING that they are then left alone. This practice is known as 'a Facility', but the way that the tabloid hacks pronounce it is quite funny ' FERCILITY'. I can remember being behind the pony lines when Prince Charles was playing polo and Diana [then at the height of her popularity] was with him and I heard a couple of journalists, one was Arthur Edwards, approach the Royal Aides and say 'Can we have a fercility?' and I just could not work out what they meant until someone explained it to me - I had always thought until then that such an event was called 'a photo-opportunity'. But I was mistaken.........

Alex
Old 07-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Bearing in mind the HUGE interest in Catherine, and also taking into account that there are some whispers arising about the fact that the Waleses have shown themselves to the people in Canada and the 'Hollywood Royalty' in the USA but have been less visible in this country since their wedding [they did attend a couple of 'closed' events here such as Arpad Busson's party] I would not be surprised if BP come to some sort of arrangement whereby the couple pose for photographs at the start of their break ON THE UNDERSTANDING that they are then left alone. This practice is known as 'a Facility', but the way that the tabloid hacks pronounce it is quite funny ' FERCILITY'. I can remember being behind the pony lines when Prince Charles was playing polo and Diana [then at the height of her popularity] was with him and I heard a couple of journalists, one was Arthur Edwards, approach the Royal Aides and say 'Can we have a fercility?' and I just could not work out what they meant until someone explained it to me - I had always thought until then that such an event was called 'a photo-opportunity'. But I was mistaken.........

Alex
Thank you for the explanation, Alex.

It makes a good deal of sense.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Commoner

Kate Bought $1500 in Air Fresheners for Kensington Palace Cottage - UsMagazine.com
Old 07-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

My gosh, does the cottage stink?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
My gosh, does the cottage stink?
Or perhaps the English custom of living off beans and toast makes it nescesarry
Old 07-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Majesty

I'm thinking that if the place was unoccupied for a while, it may have a musky smell to it. Or she just wants to stock up. I do that sometimes with items I use more frequently than others.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Administrator

I think its a little of both. At least according to the article the cottage has an old musty smell. In addition, when I find a particular fragrance that I like (and its on sale) I also purchase a lot of it. My house smelled like Fresh Linen for months!

Old 07-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebabs View Post
Or perhaps the English custom of living off beans and toast makes it nescesarry
pffftttt...my husband had to have baked beans with EVERY homecooked meal. Fondue and baked beans, pork pie and baked...eggs and baked beans...you name it, there was a Heinz tin in the wastecan!!! However, I don't think I spent $1500 or anywhere near that in 6 years!!!

Someone needs to find out where she purchased the air fresheners...BPS100 a pop???

I prefer to go with "musty."

Anyway, there are professionals who can take care of musty smells. It just makes our dear Kate seem like a spendthrift. Hate those articles.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Anyway, there are professionals who can take care of musty smells. It just makes our dear Kate seem like a spendthrift. Hate those articles.
Is it really true that she spent that much?

This whole Royal Wedding and my subsequent obsession have caused me to question EVERYTHING I read ANYWHERE good or bad. Most of this stuff is just pulled out of thin air. What are we supposed to believe?

Kitty: I am going with "musty" as well!! Cuz I cannot imagine anyone needing that much air freshener!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Aristocracy

aroma therapy? i heard it helps to 'get in the mood'

Closed Thread