The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-January 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could she be any less classy? Sure, we're entitled to our opinions, but we have to be respectful of others and their choices. Ms. Osborne is showing to the entire world that her upbringing was sorely lacking in manners.

The trash that Kelly Osbourn would choose to wear SHOULD only be worn once. Aside from that.....who cares what she wears?

Kate' style is timeless and classic. I love that she recycles her clothing by changing it up and creating new looks with jackets and accessories instead of buy a new outft for every occasion. It's ridiculous and incredibly wasteful to pay hundreds or thousands of $ fo a designer outfit and never wear it again.

The trash that Kelly Osbourn would choose to wear SHOULD only be worn once. Aside from that.....who cares what she wears?

Kate' style is timeless and classic. I love that she recycles her clothing by changing it up and creating new looks with jackets and accessories instead of buy a new outft for every occasion. It's ridiculous and incredibly wasteful to pay hundreds or thousands of $ fo a designer outfit and never wear it again.

What it tells me when you see someone like Kate who always is dressed not only totally appropriately for the occasion but will also wear something that suits her again and again over time is that this is a woman who puts wardrobe as secondary to the reason she's at the occasion to begin with. It makes the statement that she's not on the "runway" as a fashion statement but a working royal focused on what she is there to do.

I think no matter how much money one has, that to feel the need for a new outfit every time they turn around, is someone with more money than brains.

What it tells me when you see someone like Kate who always is dressed not only totally appropriately for the occasion but will also wear something that suits her again and again over time is that this is a woman who puts wardrobe as secondary to the reason she's at the occasion to begin with. It makes the statement that she's not on the "runway" as a fashion statement but a working royal focused on what she is there to do.

I think no matter how much money one has, that to feel the need for a new outfit every time they turn around, is someone with more money than brains.

You said everything perfect!

Wearing everything only once, its for me a sign of deep inferiority complexe! And when you are a public person, living somehow on contributors money, it is a sign of disrespect!

Kate has nothing to prove. She succed to everything perfectly, and is not by throwing away nice clothes, once worn that she will be appear better!

I am thinking that they are trying to out-manuver the paparazzi. They (royal family) know what happened with Diana. I'm thinking Kate has no desire to be cast into that role. Seems like she is going to do what she can to 'disappoint' them.

MM

Kate is a girl after my own heart. I like her philosophy, her down-to-earth attitude and, yes, her frugalness. She's not changing her basic nature just because she's married into the RF, and is continuing the similar attitude that the majority of women have in recycling perfectly good outfits with dash and flair. I think much of our high estimation of her would fall if we saw her trotting out new outfits for every occasion.

Has anyone noticed when she tends to get out the new high end designer stuff is when she's a 'working royal' but when she is just Kate or being part of the family more repeats and her more low key (for lack of a better word) stuff? Like McQueen at Trooping but blue coat for Phillips private bday.....Katherine Hooker for one event but low key repeat of black/white dress for friends wedding..... I realize this is not always the case but just seems like it's her way of saying I take my job seriously but in private time I'm Kate.

Hmmm, MRSJ, you might have hit on something there. I wonder if we'll see that lovely Jennie Packham sequined gown again that Kate wore to the ARK fundraiser in London. I was hoping that we would have seen a repeat of that at the BAFTA event in LA, but she might have thought that another prominent event called for a different dress and one that might not compete with what the stars were wearing.

I am thinking that they are trying to out-manuver the paparazzi. They (royal family) know what happened with Diana. I'm thinking Kate has no desire to be cast into that role. Seems like she is going to do what she can to 'disappoint' them.

MM

frankly, that's hitting the nail on the head, too. In this I couldn't agree more. I am QUITE sure this factors into her thought process in choosing what she's wearing to an event.

Interesting article about the hat Kate wore to Zara's wedding recently. It seems she (Kate) added the flower herself. I think it makes the hat and the outfit.

Kate Middleton's hat: Duchess of Cambridge wore custom made hat for Zara's wedding | Mail Online

I was surprised to see the late Queen Mother in a very similar hat.
ElizabethBowes-Lyon.jpg

wow!
Amazing that you found this similar hat of the late Queen Mother.
It does look like Catherine's hat indeed

I love the proportions of this hat; it's not overwhelming or over the top which is definitely to my taste. The Queen Mother wears the hat, not the reverse, and you can clearly see her features. Great job finding this photo, Dymphna!

That is the major difference between the hat that Catherine wore and the hat that the QM wore: with the latter, you can see almost ALL of the Queen Mother; Catherine's hat made it difficult to see her full face....

Has anyone noticed when she tends to get out the new high end designer stuff is when she's a 'working royal' but when she is just Kate or being part of the family more repeats and her more low key (for lack of a better word) stuff? Like McQueen at Trooping but blue coat for Phillips private bday.....Katherine Hooker for one event but low key repeat of black/white dress for friends wedding..... I realize this is not always the case but just seems like it's her way of saying I take my job seriously but in private time I'm Kate.

Yes, MRSJ, your theory holds good for everything if you think about it, because even before her marriage Catherine did occasionally wear the odd Designer piece at 'private occasions'.

As a general point, IMHO Catherine is just following current trends amongst those who are lucky enough to be present at formal and Royal occasions. I hope I can say this without causing offence or coming across as 'rather grand' because of course as those of you who see me posting here know only too well, I am just your humble diarist, but I do have quite an active and quite formal social life where I am lucky enough to attend Royal events and the point is this: I do have a fair amount of 'high end high street stuff' [Jaeger and the like] that I wear to fairly formal occasions but I am lucky enough to have some Designer pieces: I have dresses and suits from Amanda Wakely and Jenny Packham and Temperly and also from Chanel and Valentino and also some old Hardy Amies and Norman Hartnell suits and dresses [the latter couture houses now having closed, although Vintage is fashionable now, isn't it?!!] The point is that in this day and age with the recession and the general urge to re-cycle, lots of people with the same sort of social life as me are wearing a mix of high end high street and designer to Royal occasions; it is just now practical common sense. I saw quite a few Marks and Spencer dresses at this year's Birthday Parade for example.

Alex

Spot on! I think Catherine would like us to notice and respect her for who she is as a person, rather than what she is (a Duchess, a future Prince of Wales and later on, Queen Consort). I think when she recycles her attire, she is trying to tell the world that it's a lot more important to do good and be respected and loved by others because one's a good person, rather than because one can come out and flaunt one's wardrobe at every possible opportunity.

Spot on! I think Catherine would like us to notice and respect her for who she is as a person, rather than what she is (a Duchess, a future Prince of Wales and later on, Queen Consort). I think when she recycles her attire, she is trying to tell the world that it's a lot more important to do good and be respected and loved by others because one's a good person, rather than because one can come out and flaunt one's wardrobe at every possible opportunity.

I also think it was thoughtful to wear recycled outfits so as not to draw attention away from the bride, Zara.

I also think it was thoughtful to wear recycled outfits so as not to draw attention away from the bride, Zara.

Indeed if was. Shows that Catherine really doesn't want to get any unnecessary attention.

Osipi said:

Somehow I think that Kelly was speaking on the assumption that the clothes would be free. Catherine does not accept free clothing, but actors and actresses in Hollywood have almost infinite access to free clothing, accessories, gadgets, etc.

I think it's a bit simplistic to say that a new dress a day is necessarily wasteful. Kate is the most effective walking billboard on earth and there are many innovative and revolutionary ways she could harness that power.

Of course, she may not (yet) feel fully comfortable transforming herself into a product, but she could wear a new dress a day and provide unparalleled economic and social benefits through her clothing alone.

Imagine, for example, if she wore pink dresses everyday for one week during Breast Cancer Awareness month and the retailer agreed in advance that profits from all dresses in that style in the color pink were donated to Breast Cancer Research. Or if she wore bracelets made from stones only found in Wales or Cornwall. She could generate lots of awareness around her chosen issues, and also bring regional products and industries to the world stage.

Even on a very basic (non issue driven) level, whether or not Kate did receive free clothing, it wouldn't be a waste because she would generate a substantial economic benefit for each label she wore. If, for example, she wore a high street dress instead of DVF for a second time, that dress would have sold out immediately and possibly launched a new brand to the international market.

The UK and most of the world are entering periods of deep austerity. It is useful to think creatively in all areas, including in how to commoditize that previously unquantifiable power of extreme international celebrity. How wonderful would it be to attract international companies to the UK to produce textiles using a competition to design dresses for her? Really, the possibilities are endless.

Or, despite her luxurious (private) lifestyle, she can wear LK Bennett nude pumps a gazillion times to express some vague notion of being thrifty and winking at the same, tired, insular Sloane Ranger brand while missing out on an extraordinary and unprecedented opportunity.

fascinator said:
Imagine, for example, if she wore pink dresses everyday for one week during Breast Cancer Awareness month and the retailer agreed in advance that profits from all dresses in that style in the color pink were donated to Breast Cancer Research. Or if she wore bracelets made from stones only found in Wales or Cornwall. She could generate lots of awareness around her chosen issues, and also bring regional products and industries to the world stage.

Fascinator, I actually think this is a brilliant idea especially if it's affordable attire, very clever.

The only problem that I see is the possible "hue and cry" from all the usual suspects who would loudly proclaim that it was THEIR money buying her a different dress every day. I fear it would just be another case of "can't win" for Catherine.

MRSJ said:
Fascinator, I actually think this is a brilliant idea especially if it's affordable attire, very clever.

Thank you. Hopefully, someone on her staff will relay the idea ;-) I assume they read these forums.

Princess of Durham said:
The only problem that I see is the possible "hue and cry" from all the usual suspects who would loudly proclaim that it was THEIR money buying her a different dress every day. I fear it would just be another case of "can't win" for Catherine.

She could purchase the items herself, then donate or auction them. If UK taxes are like US taxes, the value of the donation would be tax deductible. She could start with a goal of 100 outfits a year and an equal number of accessories.

Textiles and related jobs are labor intensive and sector growth leads to job creation. She has already brought alot of attention to English laces and fabrics with her dress. She can translate the enormous international interest into something lasting for the British economy.

She could purchase the items herself, then donate or auction them. If UK taxes are like US taxes, the value of the donation would be tax deductible. She could start with a goal of 100 outfits a year and an equal number of accessories.

Textiles and related jobs are labor intensive and sector growth leads to job creation. She has already brought alot of attention to English laces and fabrics with her dress. She can translate the enormous international interest into something lasting for the British economy.

You're really on to something here. Perhaps Catherine should hire you (and I'm not being ornery or sarcastic either) and have you help her think outside the box.

I remember that JOhn F. Kennedy jr. and his wife Carolyn Bessette tried the same trick. They wore the same clothes for some time when going shopping at home in NY, etc. Unfortunately, it did not work, they were still hunted by the paparazzi.

Why the Hell can't the gutter press leave her alone. They hunted her M-i-L to her death. Don't they ever learn. :angry:

That's what's making me feel uneasy too.
If Catherine is thinking of ways to "bore" the paps good for her.

Why the Hell can't the gutter press leave her alone. They hunted her M-i-L to her death. Don't they ever learn. :angry:

I wish it was the case (that they would learn from the past), but unfortunately, these types of people think only of their wallet :bang:. They know these pictures will sell, so they take them. Also, it doesn't help that a fellow shopper can take out a mobile phone, snap a picture and send it to a newspaper or other news source. Catherine is on the right track, but I don't think it's really working since we're still seeing the pictures. Sad, but true.

Ermmm no? Catherine is there to sell. She knew what she got herself into when she married into the royal family. She will be photographed everywhere she goes. If Catherine has no problem with them, then why should we argue for her?

Lumutqueen said:
Ermmm no? Catherine is there to sell. She knew what she got herself into when she married into the royal family. She will be photographed everywhere she goes. If Catherine has no problem with them, then why should we argue for her?

I have to agree with you. She spent eight years as William's trick pony studying day and night for this job. She wanted this job and any feigned intolerance for the papa is "just part of the plan".

I don't see it as arguing for her, I see it as having different opinions about this.

I have to agree with you. She spent eight years as William's trick pony studying day and night for this job. She wanted this job and any feigned intolerance for the papa is "just part of the plan".

Trick pony? What is that supposed to mean?

I've got to agree that it's not necessarily unreasonable to take pictures of Catherine out shopping. Unlike many royals, William and Catherine have the luxury of living undisturbed on a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere and aren't photographed there, or every time they go out. You can't have your cake and eat it. It's not as if she has to worry about how she looks in the pictures anyway.

As for the clothes...I find the pretence that she's feeling the pinch as well as us a bit irritating. She's a duchess: of course she could wear a dress a day if she wanted to, and it's not as if wearing a $300 sweater three times in public makes it look like you have to make sacrifices.

I also wish that she'd dress more ethically: her £195 Reiss Shola dress was made in a sweatshop for less than £15. I'd rather she wore good quality clothes that didn't scream high fashion. It's not as if Reiss deserves a royal warrant...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom