The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Majesty

Something that was found on twitter.
Duchess of Cambridge invited to Balmoral so Queen can 'get to know her better' - Telegraph

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Queen has got to know Kate better than the people expect,after all Kate and William have been for enough years together and I think she really approved William's choice of future wife.
Queen invites Kate to Balmoral for a getting-to-know-you family holiday with the in-laws | Mail Online

Old 07-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
I think Queen has got to know Kate better than the people expect,after all Kate and William have been for enough years together and I think she really approved William's choice of future wife.
Queen invites Kate to Balmoral for a getting-to-know-you family holiday with the in-laws | Mail Online
Oh, I agree there! I just think whatever visits those two have had previously were most likely (and rightly) private. It's nerve-wrecking enough meeting your fiance's family, but when the grandmother of the said fiance is a monarch, it's even more so. Honestly, I'd be having full blown panic attacks if I were asked to have a one-to-one meeting with Her Majesty (never mind if she were my significant other's close relative). In any case, I hope Catherine has a great time at Balmoral. It looks peaceful and very beautiful.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Majesty

Another article on Catherine's weight and her being compared to her late mother-in-law.

How swift we are to turn Kate Middleton into a new Diana | News

Old 07-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Another article on Catherine's weight and her being compared to her late mother-in-law.

How swift we are to turn Kate Middleton into a new Diana | News
Good article. Very well put.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
And it will help with the staff (many of whom are long-serving) that Catherine already is a future queen. As for coping with being on such an estate, Catherine is used to it. She has spend so many weekends at stately homes in private already, she has lived for some time at Clarence House, William surely has helped her on each turn to cope with situations as they came up, she is well-bred, former pupil of an upper-class college and the family already likes her and her family, it is said. Plus she enjoys Scotland and country life, so won't bolt from walks, carriage drives (a hobby of William as well as his grand-father, thus she surely knows how that is) and those infamous picknicks. I bet she can even grill a decent steak!

Plus it is known that HM insists on formal dinners and will probably delighted to show her successor (after Camilla, that is) her jewels, maybe share memories and teach her all about that part of the Royal inheritance which is only interesting for a female successor.

So my guess is that they'll have a lot of fun up there and Catherine will find out how nice it is to have a grand-mother as she already lost her own. Another point: in my experience grandmothers are much more eager to like their new granddaughters-in-law than mothers are: as long as she fits in and William loves her (and I convinced it's that way) Catherine need not bother. Not at all.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Courtier

Kate seems to be similar in some ways to Edward's wife Sophie, someone who the Queen is said to be very fond of.

QEII may not know Kate well, but she's surely seen that William and Kate are a mature couple who genuinely care for one another. Beyond that, at this point I imagine all she wants is a little peace and quiet in her family life. As long as the Cambridges can go to Balmoral and make it through the weekend without slamming doors, bursting into tears, sneaking off to meet their affair, sulking in their room, or any of the other fun things that used to happen with Windsor family get togethers, I think the Queen will be happy.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Also, I recall reading that Carole and Michael Middleton have been invited to Balmoral this summer.
If they are all there together on the same weekend it will ease the way a little for Catherine's parents to relax a little..
Doesn't it show the deep kindness and concern of her Majesty for everyone to feel welcome and at ease on that occasion.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Oh, I agree there! I just think whatever visits those two have had previously were most likely (and rightly) private. It's nerve-wrecking enough meeting your fiance's family, but when the grandmother of the said fiance is a monarch, it's even more so. Honestly, I'd be having full blown panic attacks if I were asked to have a one-to-one meeting with Her Majesty (never mind if she were my significant other's close relative). In any case, I hope Catherine has a great time at Balmoral. It looks peaceful and very beautiful.
I think it was before the wedding I was saying if I was Catherine and and I had to meet with the Queen i'd be throwing up but then again she's prob used to it to a degree I mean they were together for 8 years before hand. I know there's no way in hell we'll get a pic but if I ever saw a pic of Catherine and the Queen walking together at the Balmoral estate that's all I'd need to see to be sure of their relationship. Thought tbh I think Catherine seems calmer then Sarah and Diana.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I think it was before the wedding I was saying if I was Catherine and and I had to meet with the Queen i'd be throwing up but then again she's prob used to it to a degree I mean they were together for 8 years before hand. I know there's no way in hell we'll get a pic but if I ever saw a pic of Catherine and the Queen walking together at the Balmoral estate that's all I'd need to see to be sure of their relationship. Thought tbh I think Catherine seems calmer then Sarah and Diana.
I think she's definitely calmer than Sarah. In general, Catherine strikes me as a very level-headed individual (though I don't doubt she gets nervous like the rest of us, she's just better at carrying herself with confidence). As for pictures from Balmoral, I have a feeling we are not going to get any. They're on a holiday, so there's no reason for any photo calls (though there were a few throughout the years). I guess we'll see what happens.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Aristocracy

Prince William and Kate Middleton move into a 'modest' Kensington Palace flat | Mail Online

They are moving into Nottingham Cottage right? As the article says, its 'more cozy' then the 'Wren House' cottage that the Kent's live in...which is right next door.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think after 8 years of relation with him the Queen knows her quite well
Old 07-19-2011, 02:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
As for pictures from Balmoral, I have a feeling we are not going to get any. They're on a holiday, so there's no reason for any photo calls (though there were a few throughout the years). I guess we'll see what happens.
Crathie Church?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Will William be in Scotland as well or is it just Kate & William will stay in Wales?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Will William be in Scotland as well or is it just Kate & William will stay in Wales?
As I understood it, it will be just a weekend due to William's workload (as he is preparing to become commanding officier of his helicopter, he needs to work more at the moment) - Catherine of course could spend longer in Balmoral but of course that is not a prospect she'd enjoy, I guess, when instead she can at least have some time with William.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Prince William and Kate `go on cinema date`
Article
Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Courtier

Balmoral is beautiful, so I am certain Kate will have a lovely time there.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisiesforever View Post
Balmoral is beautiful, so I am certain Kate will have a lovely time there.
It might be beautiful but by all accounts it's cold (both inside the castle and outdoor).

Kate Middleton and Prince William: Summer at Balmoral? Don't forget your thermal undies | Mail Online

There might be a few fun activities here and there but largely it sounds like a bore. I would make sure that the alcohol kept flowing as constant as possible.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetiger View Post
It might be beautiful but by all accounts it's cold (both inside the castle and outdoor).

Kate Middleton and Prince William: Summer at Balmoral? Don't forget your thermal undies | Mail Online

There might be a few fun activities here and there but largely it sounds like a bore. I would make sure that the alcohol kept flowing as constant as possible.
This made my head spin. The only aspect I'd enjoy is the walking. Everything else would just make me nervous. Thank you for the article. It gave a good insight into what it may be like at Balmoral.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Just how does the Daily Mail determine that Kate outranks the Duchess of Cornwall under any circumstances? They are both commoners who married into the family. Camilla is married to the heir to the throne and Kate to the second on line. With their husbands Camila comes first, but without their husbands Kate is still junior, especially that grandchildren of the sovereign come after children of the sovereign in precedence regardless of place in line of succession.

Closed Thread