The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 08:50 PM
CathyEarnshaw

Quote:
Originally posted by tiaraprin@Jun 21st, 2004 - 9:42 pm
Let us also remember why Phillip married Elizabeth--he was a penniless prince with no real prospects and Earl Mountbatten wanting his name on the English royal house.
I would not use the term penniless to describe Philip. He certainly was not a millionaire but he did have a modest in come. Contrary to what most believe, Lord Mountbatten had little to do with Philip in the 1930s. It was Louis' older brother, Lord MIlford Haven, who paid for Philip's schooling, and was his guardian. It was George, who had a successful naval career before heading into business, who gave Philip the push toward the Royal Navy.

George's wife, Nada (nee Countess Nada Torby) was the younger sister of Lady Zia Wernher, who was rather close to their cousin, the Duchess of Kent, who hosted (Philip -- her cousin - and Elizabeth.) Philip was also close to Zia, as her son, Alex, was his best friend, and her daughters, Georgina and Marilyn, remain among the Queen's best friends. The Queen attended Lady Zia's memorial service, a rarity for the queen.

The Queen Mother was not fond of the Wernhers, but Princess Elizabeth was - and their role in the Romance should not be discounted.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:56 PM
CathyEarnshaw

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalla Meriem@Jun 22nd, 2004 - 1:39 pm
Sarah just announced a few weeks ago that she would be living in the US because she spends most of her time there. I assume her RL digs are her Euro base and she just bought that other posh pad not to long ago. She lived in Italy when she was with the Count (though I can't remember where his wife lived).

IMarina certainly made numerous mistakes. No doubt. Anyone else remember the nude pictures - wearing a tiara sitting on a throne. However, I won't fault her for marring the man she loved or for trying to follow her dreams. If half of what she said about her upbringing are true then I think her parents should be partly to blame.

Princess Alexandra and Sir Angus shouldn't support their children even if they were from a generation that did. They may have the funds but still..... a little help every now and then is one thing.

Even though Marina is on public assistance I think she is doing better now than when she was married to Mowatt or before.
I always skeptical of articles in The Sunday People and other tabloid newspapers. Sarah has been living in a rented house in the Windsor area for several years. She had bought some months ago a home in the area -- with the money from the divorce that was placed in trust to use to by a home for the princesses. However, she never moved into the house, and has since decided to put it up for sale. In an interview with an American magazine, she said she was considering buying a home in the US (in the country) as she expected to spend more time here. (The girls are gone for most of the year at boarding school.)

Marina was not nude - she was wearing leather ... I have the photo in front of me (from an interview with her.)

Her husband physically abused her, and threatened her. Marina was finally able to leave Paul. The Queen offered her sanctuary in a home on the Windsor estate -- where Paul could not get to her. Later she moved to rented home where she received public assistance (the home was on the estate - but the queen did not get the rental money.) Marina has reconciled with her parents, and has attended several royal events including Edward's wedding.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Julian@Jun 23rd, 2004 - 7:30 pm
Quote:
Philip was also close to the QM.
Not what I've ever heard, quite the contrary. Some people even say they never spoke to each other out of the public eye for years. The reasons seem obvious.
It has been written that the Queen Mum never approved of Philip. She didn't want Earl Mountbatten getting so close to the throne through Philip. She also wanted Elizabeth to marry into the aristocracy to make her position as an aristocrat marrying into royalty more acceptable. The Queen Mum was often abused by Marina, the Duchess of Kent, who called her and Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester as those "Common, little Scots girls."

The rift supposedly widened when the Queen Mum heard of Philip's "affairs" and their "effects" on her dear Lilibet.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:07 PM
Aristocracy

:flower I THINK SARAH AND ANDREW ARE GOING TO BE GETTING MARRIED AGAIN. AND I WILL BE SO GLAD, BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE PRINCE PHILLIP AND THE OTHER UPPER CREST GAVE SARAH A HARD TIME. BUT THIS TIME ANDREW WILL BE THERE TO PROTECT SARAH SINCE HE IS NO LONGER IN THE NAVY.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:52 PM
CathyEarnshaw

Sophie

Andrew and Sarah are not going to get married again. They live largely separate lives, and Sarah spends most of her time in the USA.

I think you mean the Upper Crust, rather than crest.

Sarah has no desire to rejoin the royal family. She has her own life, and career. Andrew has dated various ladies.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by sophie@Jun 25th, 2004 - 3:07 pm
:flower I THINK SARAH AND ANDREW ARE GOING TO BE GETTING MARRIED AGAIN. AND I WILL BE SO GLAD, BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE PRINCE PHILLIP AND THE OTHER UPPER CREST GAVE SARAH A HARD TIME. BUT THIS TIME ANDREW WILL BE THERE TO PROTECT SARAH SINCE HE IS NO LONGER IN THE NAVY.
Sophie, I must concur with Marlene on this one. They will not remarry. Sarah is happy being independent from the Royals, and Andrew has moved on in his life as well. It is wonderful that they can remain good friends and raise their children. I believe that is all it will be.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Nobility

I think that this whole debate is very interesting but rather irrelevent. Prince Andrew derives his status from being the child of the monarch but she is almost eighty and when she dies the media spotlight will completely fall on Charles and his sons. If Andrew was thought to be an amiable "nice guy" he would possibly still have some role to play but he is generally perceived as a pompous and rude man. It was reported in newspapers that the Public Accounts Committee found that he has spent £300.000 on golfing engagements in Britain in the last twelve months. Most of these have been "dressed up" as engagements but he has never hidden his love of the sport and is really irritating the majority of hard working tax payers like myself. If the Monarchy is to survive it will have to rid itself of liabilities like the Duke of York.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:49 AM
Serene Highness

Fergie to appear on fourth 'I'm A Celeb'?

The Duchess of York is in talks to appear in the fourth series of I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!, according to the Sunday Mirror today.

"Fergie's upper-class ways would really spice things up," an ITV insider told the newspaper. "The other contestants would either love her or hate her. It would be great TV.

"And who knows - she might even let slip some Royal secrets."

The newspaper claims that Olympic Gold medallist Kelly Holmes is also being lined up to appear in the new series.

Other rumours suggest that some past contestants will be returning to the jungle, when the show returns in November.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds15611.html
Old 09-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Royal Highness

I don't think Sarah should do the "I'm a Celebrity,get me out of here". I think it would her image as a serious humanitarian.:)
Old 09-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Serene Highness

i don't think she's gonna do "i'm a celebrity...". someone in the Sarah Ferguson yahoo group said she had spoken with Sarah's spokesperson and that he/she had told her that Sarah will not do "i'm a celebrity..."

i think it's better that she doesn't do it too
Old 09-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Serene Highness

Here's a news thread for Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of york :

Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York - News and Pics

Tags
fergie, sarah duchess of york